ImageImage

Stotts UPDATE: pg 8 Woj: Stotts, Blazers agree to part ways. PG10: Dame wants Kidd.

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: Stotts 

Post#21 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 6, 2021 8:06 pm

Bud would be nice

Two big reasons to root against MIL early - They panic retool and move Middleton for CJ and panic fire Bud, who we sign.

I hate rooting for small market teams like MIL, but this year its self interest for-the-win.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#22 » by PDXKnight » Fri May 7, 2021 2:23 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Bud would be nice

Two big reasons to root against MIL early - They panic retool and move Middleton for CJ and panic fire Bud, who we sign.

I hate rooting for small market teams like MIL, but this year its self interest for-the-win.

a coach swap wouldn’t shock me though of course not a literal one.

what’s with nate being mentioned would we dare do something so nuts?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#23 » by wco81 » Fri May 7, 2021 3:11 am

It's interesting, the current turmoil in Indy is thought to be connected to McMillan being fired there after getting an extension and leading the team to 48 wins?

With the same roster, Bjorkman has done worse and there is speculation he has lost the locker room already and that he won't last past the season.

So there's belief the players didn't like McMillan being fired and Bjorkman probably faced resentment over how the coaching was handled in the offseason.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#24 » by GEE » Fri May 7, 2021 5:24 am

Spoelstra? Heard the idea on Rip City Drive, and it did make me dream a little. Regardless, I too hope it isn't just change to make change, but rather a solid upgrade. Admit I have no idea who the best option would be, but I have to imagine that Olshey isn't just beginning to think of the possible options. Hopefully he's had some feelers out there for a while now.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Post#25 » by JasonStern » Fri May 7, 2021 5:40 pm

Budenholzer is interesting but not a game changer. Blazers would trade some offense for some defense.

Spoelstra and Carlisle both have ties to the organization and would be great upgrades, but both have long tenures at well run, winning organizations and are unlikely to take the Portland job.

So that's kind of where the Blazers are at - keep Stotts, gamble on a retread, or gamble that you get the next Brad Stevens and not Luke Walton. As a fan, I hope the Blazers make a deep run and this whole thing becomes moot.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#26 » by d-train » Fri May 7, 2021 10:52 pm

JasonStern wrote:Spoelstra and Carlisle both have ties to the organization and would be great upgrades, but both have long tenures at well run, winning organizations and are unlikely to take the Portland job.

Or, Blazers can be a well run organization like the Heat and Mavs, and keep our longstanding great coach.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#27 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sat May 8, 2021 1:47 am

**** terry stotts, i absolutely despise how he coaches this team, if you can call it coaching lol

if losing in the 1st round is what will get him fired, than thats what i want
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#28 » by PDXKnight » Sat May 8, 2021 2:19 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:**** terry stotts, i absolutely despise how he coaches this team, if you can call it coaching lol

in the small chance Nate mcmillan is named head coach in portland again we’d be begging for stotts back.
d-train
RealGM

Post#29 » by d-train » Sat May 8, 2021 2:47 am

It would be great to have Nate back, but not at the expense of losing Stotts. Stotts is our coach now.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#30 » by PDXKnight » Sat May 8, 2021 2:50 am

Oden2 wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:**** terry stotts, i absolutely despise how he coaches this team, if you can call it coaching lol

in the small chance Nate mcmillan is named head coach in portland again we’d be begging for stotts back.

Nate is a garbage coach
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#31 » by JasonStern » Sat May 8, 2021 5:23 am

d-train wrote:
JasonStern wrote:Spoelstra and Carlisle both have ties to the organization and would be great upgrades, but both have long tenures at well run, winning organizations and are unlikely to take the Portland job.

Or, Blazers can be a well run organization like the Heat and Mavs, and keep our longstanding great coach.

My thoughts are well documented. Better coaches are out there. If Portland can get one, then move on. If not, don't make a change just to make a change.
- Chauncey Billups
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#32 » by mojomarc » Thu May 13, 2021 5:49 pm

d-train wrote:It would be great to have Nate back, but not at the expense of losing Stotts. Stotts is our coach now.

If Nate were brought in, I think Dame would be demanding a trade within a month.
d-train
RealGM

Post#33 » by d-train » Thu May 13, 2021 10:06 pm

mojomarc wrote:
d-train wrote:It would be great to have Nate back, but not at the expense of losing Stotts. Stotts is our coach now.

If Nate were brought in, I think Dame would be demanding a trade within a month.

I believe Lillard is more level headed than Aldridge. Regardless what you think of Lillard as a franchise player, you have to agree he has winning values. He's up there with Brandon Roy when it comes to promoting a look in the mirror first winning attitude and leading by example. Lillard would love to play for Nate, IMO. Except, I doubt Lillard wants any coaching change.
wco81
RealGM

Post#34 » by wco81 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:08 pm

Atlanta will probably give McMillan a regular contract.

Hawks may make some noise in the playoffs.

I would assume any new coach the Blazers bring in, they'd get Dame's sign off.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#35 » by PDXKnight » Sat May 15, 2021 1:08 pm

wco81 wrote:Atlanta will probably give McMillan a regular contract.

Hawks may make some noise in the playoffs.

I would assume any new coach the Blazers bring in, they'd get Dame's sign off.

I would bet the house i don’t own Atlanta doesn’t make noise in the playoffs. But in atlanta a first round exit will be sufficient for an extension as they weren’t expected to do that well anyhow. Nate has done well to even get them there in the first place but we will see how they feel about him 5 years down the line as i’m assuming he gets a 3-5 year contract
wco81
RealGM

Post#36 » by wco81 » Sat May 15, 2021 5:46 pm

I think actually the Hawks GM was given a mandate to make the playoffs with the FA signings last season -- Gallinari, Bogdan.

They also have a lot of young players who are coming up for extensions so they need to see what they have.

Yeah they could end up 4-6 meaning they could play the Knicks, Bucks or Heat in the first round.

Bucks and Heat would be favored over them but if they keep the #4 spot, it should be a competitive series.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,426

Post#37 » by Myth » Sun May 16, 2021 5:11 am

d-train wrote:
mojomarc wrote:

I believe Lillard is more level headed than Aldridge. Regardless what you think of Lillard as a franchise player, you have to agree he has winning values. He's up there with Brandon Roy when it comes to promoting a look in the mirror first winning attitude and leading by example. Lillard would love to play for Nate, IMO. Except, I doubt Lillard wants any coaching change.

Also, Lillard doesn’t seem to be bothered by him being allowed to iso a bunch.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#38 » by Sinobas » Mon May 17, 2021 2:45 pm

I think the Blazers are going to beat the Nuggets, which will be enough to keep Stotts around another year. Jamal Murray is hurt and the Blazers are really clicking right now. Last time we didn't have Nurk and we had a one armed Kanter...
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#39 » by dunlop212 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:15 pm

It is my recollection that Nate would win 5 or 10 more games than predicted every season but people on this board would demand his scalp. When BRoy and Oden got injured they got their wish. Nate seems to exceed expectations everywhere he coaches.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#40 » by JasonStern » Mon May 17, 2021 6:27 pm

- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers