ImageImage

Game 67: Portland vs LA Lakers 7:00pm SNW/ESPN

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Re: Game 67: Portland vs LA Lakers 7:00pm SNW/ESPN 

Post#21 » by JasonStern » Sat May 8, 2021 5:30 am

Indifferent if we make the 6th seed or not so long as we at least make the playoffs. If we don't go 500 to finish the season, then we are unlikely to do anything in the post season, so why worry about seeding? I just hope we avoid the Clippers in the first round as Rondo (with help) can contain Dame and I don't like the idea of Powell trying to defend Kawhi/George.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#22 » by monopoman » Sat May 8, 2021 6:20 am

I will tell you the Lakers home announcers are beyond annoying, the play by play guy acts like he is losing his mind anytime the Lakers hit a shot.

It feels so forced, you would think the guy was the biggest Laker fan on earth with how he behaves.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#23 » by Moonbeam » Sat May 8, 2021 6:25 am

With the win, Portland effectively has a 2-game cushion over the Lakers. If Portland finishes 3-2, the Lakers would have to go 5-0 to pass them.
monopoman
RealGM

Post#24 » by monopoman » Sat May 8, 2021 6:52 am

The refs were also garbage in the last 5ish minutes the supposed offensive foul against Powell on Caruso was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

Caruso and Powell get to the same spot at the same time and Caruso falls down, god is Caruso a **** annoying player seems like a flopping bitch. The refs were lucky that building was only 10% full they would have probably got a couple refs you suck chants going with that **** call.

Yeah, refs clearly in the favor of the Lakers in this game AD pushes Covington off with 2 minutes to go roughly and they call a foul on Covington. I was impressed Covington didn't get a T on that call, I probably would have lost my mind bitching at the ref for that one.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#25 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat May 8, 2021 7:24 am

Matt800 wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Unfortunately, the Blazers have a much more difficult schedule than the Lakers. The Mav's have a gimme schedule. If they don't finish 5th, then they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Unfortunately, even if the Blazers win tonight, they will probably still finish in 7th place just because they have such a difficult remaining schedule.

If Lakers go 3-5 I think Portland needs to go 2-5 to stay ahead. Portland's best chance might be the next 2 games.

There are only 5 games left.

The Blazers play: Spurs, Rockets, Jazz, Suns, Nuggets (only 1 gimme game, 3 difficult games, 1 toss up)

The Lakers play: Suns, Knicks, Rockets, Pacers, Pelicans (2 gimme games, 1 difficult game, 2 toss up games)

The Mavericks play: Cavaliers, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Raptors, Timberwolves (4 gimme games, 1 toss up game)

The Blazers have the most difficult schedule and it's not even close. I gotta think Phoenix will beat the Lakers, then we have to hope they lose at least one game (preferably two games) against the Knicks or Pacers. If something like that happens, then the Blazers have a shot at finishing #6, but they have to win the next two games against the Spurs and Rockets. Maybe Denver will be set at #4 and rest their players in the last game of the season (fingers crossed).
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat May 8, 2021 7:28 am

monopoman wrote:The refs were also garbage in the last 5ish minutes the supposed offensive foul against Powell on Caruso was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

Caruso and Powell get to the same spot at the same time and Caruso falls down, god is Caruso a **** annoying player seems like a flopping bitch. The refs were lucky that building was only 10% full they would have probably got a couple refs you suck chants going with that **** call.

Yeah, refs clearly in the favor of the Lakers in this game AD pushes Covington off with 2 minutes to go roughly and they call a foul on Covington. I was impressed Covington didn't get a T on that call, I probably would have lost my mind bitching at the ref for that one.

Stotts had several calls he could have challenged the call. Just glad AD struggled at the line tonight.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
monopoman
RealGM

Post#27 » by monopoman » Sat May 8, 2021 7:31 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
Matt800 wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Unfortunately, the Blazers have a much more difficult schedule than the Lakers. The Mav's have a gimme schedule. If they don't finish 5th, then they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Unfortunately, even if the Blazers win tonight, they will probably still finish in 7th place just because they have such a difficult remaining schedule.

If Lakers go 3-5 I think Portland needs to go 2-5 to stay ahead. Portland's best chance might be the next 2 games.

The Blazers play: Spurs, Rockets, Jazz, Suns, Nuggets (only 1 gimme game, 3 difficult games, 1 toss up)

The Lakers play: Suns, Knicks, Rockets, Pacers, Pelicans (2 gimme games, 1 difficult game, 2 toss up games)

The Mavericks play: Cavaliers, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Raptors, Timberwolves (4 gimme games, 1 toss up game)

The Blazers have the most difficult schedule and it's not even close. I gotta think Phoenis will beat the Lakers, then we have to hope they lose at least one game (preferably two games) against the Knicks or Pacers. If something like that happens, then the Blazers have a shot at finishing #6, but they have to win the next two games against the Spurs and Rockets. Maybe Denver will be set at #4 and rest their players in the last game of the season (fingers crossed).

I will point out if the Blazers go 2-3 the Lakers have to go 4-1 to get the 6th seed. I think the Mavs will easily take the 5th seed unless they fall apart.

So they might have an easier schedule but they need to absolutely dominate the last 5 games to have a chance. This game was probably the most important game of the season for both the Blazers and Lakers. Since we now have a 1 game lead and the tie breaker with the Lakers.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat May 8, 2021 7:43 am

That picture definitely looks better than the one I painted. I still gotta wait a bit to see how things pan out.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#29 » by Matt800 » Sat May 8, 2021 8:12 am

monopoman wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:
Matt800 wrote:

The Blazers have the most difficult schedule and it's not even close. I gotta think Phoenis will beat the Lakers, then we have to hope they lose at least one game (preferably two games) against the Knicks or Pacers. If something like that happens, then the Blazers have a shot at finishing #6, but they have to win the next two games against the Spurs and Rockets. Maybe Denver will be set at #4 and rest their players in the last game of the season (fingers crossed).

I will point out if the Blazers go 2-3 the Lakers have to go 4-1 to get the 6th seed. I think the Mavs will easily take the 5th seed unless they fall apart.

So they might have an easier schedule but they need to absolutely dominate the last 5 games to have a chance. This game was probably the most important game of the season for both the Blazers and Lakers. Since we now have a 1 game lead and the tie breaker with the Lakers.

yeah it could obviously go either way. But I think it looks like Portland may have to play pretty well to keep the 6th spot.

The Lakers might have Lebron back as soon as for the Knicks game, and they could realistically go 4-1 after losing to PHX. Portland might lose to the Spurs because its the 2nd night of a b2b. Which would make it hard to stay ahead of the Lakers. Even if the Lakers go 3-2, if Portland loses to the Spurs they will need to beat Houston and 1 of UTA, PHX, and DEN. That's doable but obviously those teams are good and UTA and PHX are a back to back.
monopoman
RealGM

Post#30 » by monopoman » Sat May 8, 2021 8:42 am

We might see a case where Jazz or Suns rest players though, we have no idea what their playoff situation will look like when those games happen.

****, if I owned the Suns I would probably rest CP3 over most of the final games of the season. A player entering his twilight years that has been injured in multiple playoff games over the past few years, they need him as 100% as possible.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#31 » by dunlop212 » Sat May 8, 2021 11:52 am

Nobody knows for sure how difficult Portland schedule is. Key players may be out, or may sit because playoff positions are settled. For that matter, Portland may be sitting players because it's playoff position is determined.

Nurk and Turk note: two players playing the same position both have double doubles. Portland is formidable when Lillard is healthy and they get Wilt Chamberlain numbers from the five position.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#32 » by Soulyss » Sat May 8, 2021 2:29 pm

We may get lucky... I could see both PHX and UTAH going full rest with their spots mostly locked up. Tonight is another must-win to keep the pressure on Dallas and the Lakers.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#33 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat May 8, 2021 3:52 pm

The high screen TAP passes from Nurkic right back to CJ and Dame gives a nice wrinkle. The timing gives choice to the guards and more open looks. When Davis had to hedge quicker or wider, it opens lanes to drive. Caruso had to scramble. And those guys actually hustle. Redirection by Dame and money. By the playoffs, the timing should be even better.
:D
monopoman
RealGM

Post#34 » by monopoman » Sat May 8, 2021 11:44 pm

Damn, Laker fans pissed that Caruso ran directly into the spot Powell was heading to at full speed. Pretty damn impressive how badly they could misinterpret the call.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#35 » by d-train » Sun May 9, 2021 1:11 am

monopoman wrote:Image

Damn, Laker fans pissed that Caruso ran directly into the spot Powell was heading to at full speed. Pretty damn impressive how badly they could misinterpret the call.

Yeah, that was a BS call. It was a foul on Caruso if anyone. Mainly, the contact had nothing to do with the layin by Nurk, which was waived off and shouldn't have been.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun May 9, 2021 5:52 pm

Both players running to the same spot from different directions and not seeing one another. Is it a foul on anyone? Call it a double foul if you wanna call something and move on. Basket should have counted.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Portland Trail Blazers