ImageImage

Offseason

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Re: Offseason 

Post#341 » by DusterBuster » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:08 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/blazers-news-damian-lillard-drops-major-hint-on-portland-future/amp/

Dame talked pretty open about his standing with the Blazers here. Makes it pretty clear he’s not gonna ask out “soon”, but that option is on the table and if the team is trash next season, it’s likely an option he will exercise. Olshey better hope to hell this team exceeds expectations…
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
skoharry
Junior
And1: 20

Post#342 » by skoharry » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:39 pm

Ok so if anyone answers "Simons is the backup PG", I will have to hurt you. SIMONS IS A SCORE FIRST GUARD AND WE NEED MORE PLAYMAKING. What I'm saying is that we need a backup PG. Unfortunately options aren't that great. We have Mudiay, Thomas, Teague, Nappier, and Frazier. Honestly I would prefer Nappier. He's a good scorer, decent playmaker, and can play acceptable D.
Defense and rebounding wins games
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#343 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:53 pm

skoharry wrote:Ok so if anyone answers "Simons is the backup PG", I will have to hurt you. SIMONS IS A SCORE FIRST GUARD AND WE NEED MORE PLAYMAKING. What I'm saying is that we need a backup PG. Unfortunately options aren't that great. We have Mudiay, Thomas, Teague, Nappier, and Frazier. Honestly I would prefer Nappier. He's a good scorer, decent playmaker, and can play acceptable D.

I am curious how Billups runs the point guard position, Stotts and Olshey didn't seem to care much about defense or pass-first guards so they would have previously been wasted in our rotation.

Although I think Dame and CJ are at the point they can handle most of the playmaking we need, what I really would love to have now is a plus defender on the bench.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#344 » by GEE » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:45 am

I will be most interested to see how Chauncey feels about starting a 6'3 SF. If Powell comes off the bench as our 6th man, we can rotate Dame/CJ/Powell for nearly all of the PG & SG minutes. Maybe go with all three at the end of halves and in special situations, but please, no wore than 10mpg of Powell at SF.

ROCO should be the SF for 30+mpg, with only a handful at PF. Still feels pretty thin at the forwards, so Little will need to be good enough to provide some meaningful minutes, backing up the forwards.

So one through three I feel pretty good about, but that leaves PF & C, with Nance Jr. & Nurkic. I'm not at all confident in Zeller to provide anything more than injury insurance, so I feel we still need one more legit big. I think I really want to see LA back in Portland for about 20 mpg.

If players are rotated properly and we play way up-tempo on both ends of the floor... I think this team could be interesting, but I need LA, or something similar.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#345 » by PDXKnight » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:25 pm

GEE wrote:I will be most interested to see how Chauncey feels about starting a 6'3 SF. If Powell comes off the bench as our 6th man, we can rotate Dame/CJ/Powell for nearly all of the PG & SG minutes. Maybe go with all three at the end of halves and in special situations, but please, no wore than 10mpg of Powell at SF.

ROCO should be the SF for 30+mpg, with only a handful at PF. Still feels pretty thin at the forwards, so Little will need to be good enough to provide some meaningful minutes, backing up the forwards.

So one through three I feel pretty good about, but that leaves PF & C, with Nance Jr. & Nurkic. I'm not at all confident in Zeller to provide anything more than injury insurance, so I feel we still need one more legit big. I think I really want to see LA back in Portland for about 20 mpg.

If players are rotated properly and we play way up-tempo on both ends of the floor... I think this team could be interesting, but I need LA, or something similar.

Seems logical to bring powell or cj off the bench for sure. Will it happen or will olshey deal away every big we have or let them walk to force chauncey to play powell at sf? Sadly olsheys track record would suggest the latter is likely to happen even if billups makes the wiser move not playing a defensive nightmare lineup. Advanced stats or no over the course of a season that 3 guard lineup will kill us against the best wings of the league. But a cov-nance-nurk lineup excites me and i think it makes us one of best defensive front courts out there and if little finally comes along that’d help a lot too. Zeller is underrated and can start when nurk inevitably gets injured imo. Now if only any of these guys didn’t have a lengthy history of injuries :lol:
GEE
Starter

Post#346 » by GEE » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:05 am

Rondo is going back to LA LA LAND on a 1 year vet min. Guess the rich do get richer... and now DeAndre Jordan wants a buyout from BKN so he also can go to the Lakers. Just ridiculous. Freakin' ring chasers :evil:

Surely the NBA execs are cool with it, after all, what's good for LA, is also good for the league... right?
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#347 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:41 am

I'll get worried when LA starts to add shooters. More non-threats just shrinks the court for LeBron and Davis. They will almost need to have AD float on the perimeter to space the floor so Rondo and Westbrook aren't totally useless.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#348 » by Dame Lizard » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:56 am

I think a big part of our success will be which version of Nurkic plays this season.

Peak Portland Nurk (pre-injury) was such an amazing player. Legitimately one of the best Centres in the league based on impact imo (he turned our defense around single handedly and was a positive offensive weapon). He obviously wasn't Jokic or Embiid good, but he was in that next tier.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#349 » by PDXKnight » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:58 am

I’m kinda feeling like russ won’t make la significantly better and in fact might deteriorate la’s chemistry if they had any to begin with lately
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#350 » by DusterBuster » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:45 pm

Simmons made it clear to Sixers brass that he's done with the team and doesn't intend to report to training camp. Still don't think it's likely he ends up in Portland, but it will be an interest situation to watch since he's really trying to force Morey's hand here.
GEE
Starter

Post#351 » by GEE » Wed Sep 1, 2021 12:34 am

DusterBuster wrote:Simmons made it clear to Sixers brass that he's done with the team and doesn't intend to report to training camp. Still don't think it's likely he ends up in Portland, but it will be an interest situation to watch since he's really trying to force Morey's hand here.

I soooo want some leaked telephone conversations to emerge from Olshey and Morey. They MUST be talking. I just can't imagine Olshey signing Powell to 5 years so he can play the SF. I think CJ for Simmons is likely on the table, and I'm not sure there are more than a few other teams out there that would be willing to take on the substantial risk, that is, Ben Simmons. I also wonder what Morey's true offer is for Dame. Harden-like I'm sure and also likely on the table. I would be just fine with a straight Harris swap. Solid player of need with outstanding character. He'd fit in really well IMO.

Simons and Little would NEED to be fairly dependable(like they've been IMO), and if we could still add one of Love or LA... idk... maybe if Bron's old-ass breaks a hip or something...

Dame / Simons
Powell / Little
ROCO
Harris / Nance Jr.
Nurkic / Love(or)LA

That's a pretty darn good 9 for the playoffs. :thumbsup:
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#352 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Sep 1, 2021 3:26 am

At this point, even if Philly offered Simmons for CJ straight up, I wouldn't want that punk anywhere near my team. He would just be a massive distraction, I hate his attitude so much. I used to be a fan because his game coming into the league was awesome but as we have gotten to know him and see him for who he is IMHO he is fools gold, lacks that killer mentality to make the most of his tools.

Imagine a more physically talented Batum who is somehow even more passive. It would be so infuriating to tie your cart to that horse with a max contract.

(and yes, I know I'm being an irrational and emotional fan here. The GM should take a more measured approach, they have better behind-the-scenes knowledge to know if something could work out and might not afford to pass on that gain in pure talent but f the guy I'm so tired of this Simmons drama)
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#353 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Sep 1, 2021 5:11 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:.

Imagine a more physically talented Batum who is somehow even more passive. It would be so infuriating to tie your cart to that horse with a max contract.

To be fair, Simmons is in a whole other league than Batum. He's a genuine defensive stud (2nd in DPOY voting) who is an All Star for a reason. Batum's skills outside of shooting, are all vastly inferior.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#354 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Sep 1, 2021 5:14 am

Dame Lizard wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:.

To be fair, Simmons is in a whole other league than Batum. He's a genuine defensive stud (2nd in DPOY voting) who is an All Star for a reason. Batum's skills outside of shooting, are all vastly inferior.

Sure he's obviously better but my point was I think he would be infuriating in the same ways. Maybe even more so because he is so much more naturally talented. And Batum never had close to this much drama or apparent entitlement.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#355 » by DusterBuster » Wed Sep 1, 2021 6:35 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:At this point, even if Philly offered Simmons for CJ straight up, I wouldn't want that punk anywhere near my team. He would just be a massive distraction, I hate his attitude so much. I used to be a fan because his game coming into the league was awesome but as we have gotten to know him and see him for who he is IMHO he is fools gold, lacks that killer mentality to make the most of his tools.

(and yes, I know I'm being an irrational and emotional fan here. The GM should take a more measured approach, they have better behind-the-scenes knowledge to know if something could work out and might not afford to pass on that gain in pure talent but f the guy I'm so tired of this Simmons drama)

I largely agree. That’s a big reason I find him as the centerpiece of any Dame trade super unappealing. CJ sure, but Dame?…. Nah
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#356 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Sep 1, 2021 12:42 pm

In the past month or so I have completely pivoted to preferring Tobias to Simmons. I dont think Ben is a winner, dont think he has the hunger to take any steps towards on-court improvement and dont think he is a competitor.

I would love to get involved in a 3 way that gets Portland Pascal or OG with Ben going to TOR and CJ to PHI. I much prefer both those guys.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#357 » by Case2012 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 7:39 pm

My ideal would be Draymond to PDX, Simmons to GS and CJ to PHI. Draymond would give us everything Simmons has but is also one of the games fiercest competitors. Dame has also been on record as saying he wants Dray in PDX, so it would be a home run for Olshey in keeping Dame happy. I don’t think GS does it though, because Green is the heart and soul of the team and I think that would really piss off Steph and Klay.

Dame/Smith jr/Simons
Powell/Mclemore
ROCO/Snell/Nas
Draymond/Nance jr
Nurk/Zeller

I think that’s a top 5 Defense easy.
Instagram: @casetwelve
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,471

Post#358 » by Pattycakes » Thu Sep 2, 2021 8:31 pm

Case2012 wrote:My ideal would be Draymond to PDX, Simmons to GS and CJ to PHI. Draymond would give us everything Simmons has but is also one of the games fiercest competitors. Dame has also been on record as saying he wants Dray in PDX, so it would be a home run for Olshey in keeping Dame happy. I don’t think GS does it though, because Green is the heart and soul of the team and I think that would really piss off Steph and Klay.

Dame/Smith jr/Simons
Powell/Mclemore
ROCO/Snell/Nas
Draymond/Nance jr
Nurk/Zeller

Dude I know you guys hate CJ and all but no, ew ew ew no.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#359 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Sep 2, 2021 8:49 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:In the past month or so I have completely pivoted to preferring Tobias to Simmons. I dont think Ben is a winner, dont think he has the hunger to take any steps towards on-court improvement and dont think he is a competitor.

I would love to get involved in a 3 way that gets Portland Pascal or OG with Ben going to TOR and CJ to PHI. I much prefer both those guys.

I especially have no interest in Tobias now that Nance is on board.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#360 » by Case2012 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 10:23 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
Case2012 wrote:My ideal would be Draymond to PDX, Simmons to GS and CJ to PHI. Draymond would give us everything Simmons has but is also one of the games fiercest competitors. Dame has also been on record as saying he wants Dray in PDX, so it would be a home run for Olshey in keeping Dame happy. I don’t think GS does it though, because Green is the heart and soul of the team and I think that would really piss off Steph and Klay.

Dame/Smith jr/Simons
Powell/Mclemore
ROCO/Snell/Nas
Draymond/Nance jr
Nurk/Zeller

Dude I know you guys hate CJ and all but no, ew ew ew no.

I don’t hate CJ at all, that’s just a WAY better, more balanced team. Draymond plays with an intensity few players have in this league... Not to mention he adds championship experience and he’s a DPOY. Would you rather add Simmons, who is more athletic but has zero heart and acts like a little pouty b****? And again, Dame and Dray are really good friends, so this would definitely secure Dame staying PDX.
Instagram: @casetwelve

Return to Portland Trail Blazers