Larry Nance to Portland 

Post#1 » by pinman42 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Re: Larry Nance to Portland 

Post#2 » by Blazers20 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:36 pm

I don’t think Nance was worth a first round pick. I think Olshey giving up 3 picks for RoCo and Nance was an overpay.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,018

Post#3 » by DusterBuster » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:43 pm

Wtf are we doing trading FRPs for Larry Nance Jr?!?!

Gtfoh with that noise.

Dame, just save yourself time and ask for a trade now, this is disgraceful.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#4 » by BigLurch92 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:47 pm

I think it definitely evens out the team a bit but a first for Larry Nance doesn't sound good.
BigPuma
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#5 » by BigPuma » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:55 pm

BigLurch92 wrote:I think it definitely evens out the team a bit but a first for Larry Nance doesn't sound good.

I think in a vacuum a first for Nance sounds bad, but in our particular situation it makes sense. A future first does absolutely nothing to help the team this year, and likely would take years to help. We need to make Dame happy now. Adding a forward who is a plus defender definitely makes this team a bit better now. If Dame is still pissed and wants to leave, we go in the tank and the pick won't convey for years. If Dame is happy then we keep him and should be in the playoffs and lose a pick in the 20s.

You could argue that the future first could have been used to get a different player, but I'm not sure who that would be who would be a better player and better fit than Nance.
Puma (as in Travis "The Puma" Outlaw)
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#6 » by DusterBuster » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:55 pm

BigLurch92 wrote:I think it definitely evens out the team a bit but a first for Larry Nance doesn't sound good.

Yeah, Jones for Nance is a fair meh deal. Adding in a FRP is a waste of an asset. If Olshey doesn’t care about FRPs, why not go all out and find a deal where you package like 5 of then for someone good?!
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#7 » by DusterBuster » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:56 pm

BigPuma wrote:

I think in a vacuum a first for Nance sounds bad, but in our particular situation it makes sense. A future first does absolutely nothing to help the team this year, and likely would take years to help. We need to make Dame happy now. Adding a forward who is a plus defender definitely makes this team a bit better now. If Dame is still pissed and wants to leave, we go in the tank and the pick won't convey for years. If Dame is happy then we keep him and should be in the playoffs and lose a pick in the 20s.

You could argue that the future first could have been used to get a different player, but I'm not sure who that would be who would be a better player and better fit than Nance.

Low key says this is a Neil burner account.
elias808
Junior
And1: 316

Post#8 » by elias808 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Trading the FRP will come back to bite us once Dame leaves and we tank.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#9 » by DusterBuster » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:13 pm

elias808 wrote:Trading the FRP will come back to bite us once Dame leaves and we tank.

It’s protected and I would hope fully lottery protected forever to at least give some intelligence to this trade…. So not worried about it biting the Blazers in them losing a lottery pick. That said, Olshey is needlessly wasting an asset that could be used in a bigger trade, but he seems totally disinterested in even entertaining that as an option, so w/e I guess
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,938

Post#10 » by JasonStern » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Honestly would have preferred cutting the Cavs out and getting Lauri Markkanen, as while he has a flawed game, he also has a lot more potential to develop as a player. A little bit surprised Olshey passed on a white 7' jump shooting big. But I guess I still view this team playing Stotts offense and no defense. If Billups does decide to play defense, then Nance makes a lot more sense. Not overly concerned as neither player would suddenly turn Portland into a contender.

Nance is an upgrade over Jones - at least in 2021-22. Not sure how anyone can dispute that. That said, including a 1st seems like an overpay. Nance is a role player at best, and overpaying for Aaron Gordon last season (while also acquiring Covington) seems like it would have been a smarter move.

Trade increases the Blazers salary, so looks like we're a luxury tax paying team unless another move is made. 1st is protected well, so Olshey isn't screwing over his replacement. And it's not like Portland has been killing it in the draft with their late 1st picks. Real issue is that Nance is guaranteed $9.6M in 2022-23, when Nurkić and Covington are due extensions while Dame and CJ continue to take up more and more of the cap.

Unless more players end up being included, the Blazers still need a 14th player on the roster. After failing to bring back Kanter or Whiteside on minimum contracts, I hope they retain RHJ. While far from ideal, Covington and Nance can play spot minutes at center. Wing position still remains a weakness. And while RHJ is flawed - there's a reason he's not signed - he still gave 80%+ of what DJJ did at ~20% of the cost. Unless there's a Love buyout coming. Seems like the Cavs have a lot of big men now.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
b33nine
Senior
And1: 92

Post#11 » by b33nine » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:18 pm

I'm excited just to see something happen at all, and Nance fits our team needs pretty damn well.

The included 1st doesn't bother me except for that it locks our future trade possibilities. Now if something were to become available around CJ+, we're severely hamstrung because of the uncertainty of when that 1st will convey.

That said, I think we'll love Nance, and we might have just transformed into a nice scrappy defensive team. Nurk, Roco, Nance, Powell can all compete on that end effectively.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,548

Post#12 » by Myth » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:21 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

Yeah, Jones for Nance is a fair meh deal. Adding in a FRP is a waste of an asset. If Olshey doesn’t care about FRPs, why not go all out and find a deal where you package like 5 of then for someone good?!

I think Nance has more value than Jones, especially considering Jones was out of our rotation. Nance should be a major step up on backup PF defense over Melo. I'd be curious what protections are and if there is any room to trade a future 1st if something comes available this season for a CJ+1st. Nance can also play small ball C, and it is good to have another guy who can play that position some given the injury histories of Nurkic and Zeller.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#13 » by Soulyss » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:25 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
elias808 wrote:Trading the FRP will come back to bite us once Dame leaves and we tank.

It’s protected and I would hope fully lottery protected forever to at least give some intelligence to this trade…. So not worried about it biting the Blazers in them losing a lottery pick. That said, Olshey is needlessly wasting an asset that could be used in a bigger trade, but he seems totally disinterested in even entertaining that as an option, so w/e I guess

I think this signals that Dame will absolutely be in Portland the rest of this year. Nance is a significant rotational upgrade over DJJ who was near unplayable.

I know some people are going to hate this, but don't be shocked to see a K-Love buyout where he lands in Portland. You can smell the collusion on this deal :P
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#14 » by Soulyss » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:27 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

I am guessing at this point he's survey'd the market, and we don't have the assets to make a deal with people holding him hostage. Also remember there is probably a significant delta between Olshey's perception of what CJ is worth and the rest of the league which isn't helping.

None of us should be shocked by this type of deal... it's what OIshey has historically done, it was a upgrade, but he only swings for base hits, he never takes a big swing.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#15 » by JasonStern » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:46 pm

Draft picks are pretty funny. Lots of people would throw a huge fit if the Blazers traded CJ plus three 1sts for an MVP in James Harden, but would gladly trade CJ+Covington+Nance, which is effectively the same thing.

Soulyss wrote:None of us should be shocked by this type of deal... it's what OIshey has historically done, it was a upgrade, but he only swings for base hits, he never takes a big swing.

To be fair, Nance, Powell, and Covington are players more than capable of being glue guy role players on a championship level team. I honestly don't see anything wrong with those moves. The problem is to actually be a championship level team, you at least need that second all-star. McCollum is 29, so that's not likely to happen. So we're betting on Simons/Little/Brown..?
- Chauncey Billups
Myth
General Manager

Post#16 » by Myth » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:14 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Soulyss wrote:None of us should be shocked by this type of deal... it's what OIshey has historically done, it was a upgrade, but he only swings for base hits, he never takes a big swing.

To be fair, Nance, Powell, and Covington are players more than capable of being glue guy role players on a championship level team. I honestly don't see anything wrong with those moves. The problem is to actually be a championship level team, you at least need that second all-star. McCollum is 29, so that's not likely to happen. So we're betting on Simons/Little/Brown..?

Pre-injury last season, CJ was absolutely playing like an all-star (all-nba really). Not sure if the injury knocked him down to earth or if he was going to come back down anyway, but he was great at that time. If he comes back in that form and Dame simultaneously plays great (he was underperforming while CJ was killing it), plus we have other capable role players, we don't need Simons/Little/Brown to be great. I'm not saying I'm expecting this, but the possibility is certain there.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#17 » by JasonStern » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:16 pm

Myth wrote:
JasonStern wrote:

Pre-injury last season, CJ was absolutely playing like an all-star (all-nba really). Not sure if the injury knocked him down to earth or if he was going to come back down anyway, but he was great at that time. If he comes back in that form and Dame simultaneously plays great (he was underperforming while CJ was killing it), plus we have other capable role players, we don't need Simons/Little/Brown to be great. I'm not saying I'm expecting this, but the possibility is certain there.

And come playoff time, he was outplayed by Facundo Campazzo and Austin Rivers. Doesn't mean I'm going to overvalue Facundo Campazzo and Austin Rivers.
- Chauncey Billups
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#18 » by red_power » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:16 pm

Nance is a versatile, explosive and hustling big man who's definitely an upgrade over DJJ so I'm content to see this happened.
Of course, he's quite undersized even for PF position but do you really expect anything else with Neil Olshey running the show?

Throwing a FRP is meh but I wouldn't dramatize it unless that pick turns a top-3 selection in 2025 draft.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,953

Post#19 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:22 pm

Nance is getting underrated here. He is as good a player as RoCo, and cost less in picks.

Look at his advanced stats, on a putrid CLE team. Its insane how good they were.

I think we had been looking for a serious upgrade, realized CJ + picks wasnt going to cut it and pivoted to adding another Covington level glue guy / role player. I actually like it, and think Nance is going to surprise a ton of people.
Myth
General Manager

Post#20 » by Myth » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:23 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Myth wrote:
JasonStern wrote:

And come playoff time, he was outplayed by Facundo Campazzo and Austin Rivers. Doesn't mean I'm going to overvalue Facundo Campazzo and Austin Rivers.

CJ's great play was a solid 12.5 games (until that injury halfway through a game) that were all consistently pretty great. My point is he has it in him to be an all-star level player.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers