ImageImage

Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Blazinaway
General Manager
Posts: 7,926
And1: 1,062
Joined: Jan 27, 2009

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#101 » by Blazinaway » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:31 pm

DusterBuster wrote:


Man, that's a M. Night-level plot twist...

Read on Twitter


If this somehow ends up with Olshey taking over McGowan's spot, I'll be super annoyed but also somewhat darkly amused in that ... "Of course he found a way to get promoted out of all this mess" way.

This could be unrelated to the Olshey investigation for the most part and maybe this is the Blazer news Jaynes heard was coming today? I donno, this is all very strange and I'm confused at this point.


I am thinking a clean sweep is comng and Olshey is out.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,724
And1: 6,556
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#102 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:34 pm

my first thought with the McGowan news was that Olshey won a power struggle

then I remembered that McGowan was Olshey's boss so if Olshey did create a toxic work environment, McGowan allowed it to happen

I'm also guessing the Blazers have taken a lot of heat for the Root Sports fiasco, so McGowan might be the fall guy for that
Blazinaway
General Manager
Posts: 7,926
And1: 1,062
Joined: Jan 27, 2009

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#103 » by Blazinaway » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:39 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:my first thought with the McGowan news was that Olshey won a power struggle

then I remembered that McGowan was Olshey's boss so if Olshey did create a toxic work environment, McGowan allowed it to happen

I'm also guessing the Blazers have taken a lot of heat for the Root Sports fiasco, so McGowan might be the fall guy for that

Can't imagine Olshey survives this in any way, if he does I am done with this team/organization. I am sure that does not matter to them but it does to me, I do fully support a clean sweep here of G/Prez and and perhaps a full rebuild, we will see
Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,724
And1: 6,556
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#104 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:49 pm

how about this for a possible explanation of McGowan's resignation:

the investigation has revealed there's been big problems with Olshey's management style for years. McGowan approved Olshey's 3 years contract extension 2 years ago, when he should have fired Olshey instead. The Vulcans are blaming McGowan for that extension (and Root Sports)

does that make any sense?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,724
And1: 6,556
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#105 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter



if they are going to fire the guy, why drag it out?

and it's hard to see how they can't fire him at this juncture without leaving the F.O. in a mess
valleyman33
Sophomore
Posts: 219
And1: 9
Joined: Aug 11, 2004
Location: Salem

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#106 » by valleyman33 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:50 pm

Can't imagine Olshey survives this in any way, if he does I am done with this team/organization. I am sure that does not matter to them but it does to me, I do fully support a clean sweep here of G/Prez and and perhaps a full rebuild, we will see
Ditto, the Dame/CJ unbalanced team experiment has run it's course. It should be a clean sweep of the front office and time to make trades that actually improve the team, or blow it up!
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."
Henry Ford
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 28,748
And1: 13,398
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
   

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#107 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:54 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:


Man, that's a M. Night-level plot twist...

Read on Twitter


If this somehow ends up with Olshey taking over McGowan's spot, I'll be super annoyed but also somewhat darkly amused in that ... "Of course he found a way to get promoted out of all this mess" way.

This could be unrelated to the Olshey investigation for the most part and maybe this is the Blazer news Jaynes heard was coming today? I donno, this is all very strange and I'm confused at this point.


I am thinking a clean sweep is comng and Olshey is out.


That would be my guess as well. I'm thinking Olshey probably steps down later this afternoon as well. I'm sure he was pretty much given a choice of step down or be fired and he'll probably be taking the high road of resigning.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 28,748
And1: 13,398
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
   

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#108 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:56 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Read on Twitter



if they are going to fire the guy, why drag it out?

and it's hard to see how they can't fire him at this juncture without leaving the F.O. in a mess


Yeah, this seems unnecessary.

I can definitely see that Jaynes got wind of something happening today and maybe just assuming it would be Olshey because maybe he didn't get any solid info other than big front office news would happen today...

But then again, I'm hoping he's wrong because I like seeing :clown:zano be wrong about everything.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Case2012
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,217
And1: 1,070
Joined: Jan 03, 2012
 

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#109 » by Case2012 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:01 pm

Image
Image
Instagram: @casetwelve
Case2012
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,217
And1: 1,070
Joined: Jan 03, 2012
 

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#110 » by Case2012 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:24 pm

Read on Twitter
>
Image
Instagram: @casetwelve
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 28,748
And1: 13,398
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
   

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#111 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:53 pm

Read on Twitter


Jaynes confirming the news he got wind of was likely this and not Olshey... guessing he jumped to the conclusion that's who the news would be about.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
User avatar
monopoman
RealGM
Posts: 10,354
And1: 4,525
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
     

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#113 » by monopoman » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:33 pm

DusterBuster wrote:


Man, that's a M. Night-level plot twist...

Read on Twitter


If this somehow ends up with Olshey taking over McGowan's spot, I'll be super annoyed but also somewhat darkly amused in that ... "Of course he found a way to get promoted out of all this mess" way.

This could be unrelated to the Olshey investigation for the most part and maybe this is the Blazer news Jaynes heard was coming today? I donno, this is all very strange and I'm confused at this point.


Isn't that a promotion? It would be odd to have this big deal about misconduct, and the Blazers don't only keep him on they promote him.

Even if they felt Olshey's workplace wasn't as bad as some think, it still seems odd they would then promote him for it.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,724
And1: 6,556
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#114 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:22 pm

I don't have access behind the paywall at The Athletic, but apparently there is a pretty damning article about Jody Allen, Olshey, and the Vulcans by Jason Quick:

https://theathletic.com/2952748/2021/11/12/quick-inside-the-trail-blazers-and-the-struggle-that-led-chris-mcgowan-to-resign-as-ceo/
BlazersBroncos
Head Coach
Posts: 6,444
And1: 5,007
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#115 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:44 pm

I dont want Neil to stay, but for stabilities sake I was hoping that McGown was the person instigating this apparent toxic culture.

Instead it seems he is the only clean one and is stepping down to avoid the oncoming ****.

Thats about as bad a development in this story as one could imagine.
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 28,748
And1: 13,398
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
   

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#116 » by DusterBuster » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:28 am

Wizenheimer wrote:I don't have access behind the paywall at The Athletic, but apparently there is a pretty damning article about Jody Allen, Olshey, and the Vulcans by Jason Quick:

https://theathletic.com/2952748/2021/11/12/quick-inside-the-trail-blazers-and-the-struggle-that-led-chris-mcgowan-to-resign-as-ceo/


It's interesting, his article sounds a lot more dire than how Quick is describing the situation on an interview on 1080. Basically he had plans for other things and a vision with Paul, then those all went away once he passed and Jody didn't keep Paul's promises. Then he wanted to take over being the public voice of team because Olshey was pissing off everyone from fans, media and players every time he spoke this summer and she didn't let him do that either.

He also had a deadline by Dec 31 to keep staying with Vulcan/Blazers and he knew he was tired of the grind, so he just decided it was time to part ways and not drag it out.

Sounds like the Blazers lost a good one with him.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 28,748
And1: 13,398
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
   

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#117 » by DusterBuster » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:35 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:I dont want Neil to stay, but for stabilities sake I was hoping that McGown was the person instigating this apparent toxic culture.

Instead it seems he is the only clean one and is stepping down to avoid the oncoming ****.

Thats about as bad a development in this story as one could imagine.


Yeah, but on the plus side, people really like the guy who's taking his spot is just as solid as McGowan was. So probably won't be too much of a slippage of moral or anything in that regard (or at least any additional slippage because of this move), but yeah, thinks definitely still aren't right and the team probably needs to be sold sooner than later.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Posts: 15,793
And1: 7,146
Joined: Dec 10, 2004

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#118 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:42 am

I see Quick has once again fallen back into his histrionics phase as he uses phrases like 'crumbling franchise'.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,724
And1: 6,556
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#119 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:54 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:I see Quick has once again fallen back into his histrionics phase as he uses phrases like 'crumbling franchise'.


he's been pretty decent lately but there's hyperbole in his blood

I think you can make a case there's been some crumbling of Blazer quality since PA died. That will happen under an absentee landlord
GEE
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,670
And1: 192
Joined: Aug 04, 2006

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#120 » by GEE » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:47 am

Mr. Allen was without a doubt, one of the Blazers biggest fans. I think we're really missing him right now.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers