ImageImage

Nurk

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Re: Nurk 

Post#21 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:46 pm

monopoman wrote:If we truly go all in on a rebuild with Simons+Little I doubt Nurk wants to stay anyways. He talked about how he refuses to play for the Blazers if Lillard ever leaves. Maybe his attitude will change if he and Simons hit it off but he sure did not seem happy when there were rumors of Lillard leaving last Summer.

nurk never said that, translation wasnt correct

he said if the blazers trade dame, they will trade him too, as he assumed trading dame would most likely mean rebuild
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#22 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:17 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
monopoman wrote:If we truly go all in on a rebuild with Simons+Little I doubt Nurk wants to stay anyways. He talked about how he refuses to play for the Blazers if Lillard ever leaves. Maybe his attitude will change if he and Simons hit it off but he sure did not seem happy when there were rumors of Lillard leaving last Summer.

nurk never said that, translation wasnt correct

he said if the blazers trade dame, they will trade him too, as he assumed trading dame would most likely mean rebuild

guy can’t stay healthy so who cares if he returns?
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#23 » by GEE » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:25 am

I say, Pay the man... and pay Simons too. Ohhh, but we can't, can we? We MUST pay Dame his monster extension and still build that talent around him somehow. This team has a huuuuge decision to make about the future. I personally, would have moved Dame to Philly (with good PR spin) weeks ago, but may be too late now. Then, I would look to get out of CJ's money any way you can, and as quickly as possible. Use his salary to pay everyone else. Something like Harris, Ross and a (ORL)2nd would be just fine for CJ.

The decisions this franchise makes, or doesn't make, will decide the direction for the next few years, which should be fine for the Vulcans financially, but making a poor decision or two could potentially bankrupt this team in terms of talent and any chance of success, beyond these next few years. I could easily see us ride the treadmill for 3 more years while paying Dame his riches, at the expense of current players I really like, and having the shelves completely empty after that.

ALL THINGS DAME... BARF.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#24 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:09 am

I'll be very annoyed if we do offer Dame a further extension. Which is ironic as, per my name, I'm a fan of his.

We've paid him very well over his entire Portland career. Extending Dame now, when he is already on a long-term contract and when he's a 6'3" point guard whose prime is uncertain, makes absolutely no sense.

Make business decisions Portland. Don't get suckered into paying a loyalty extension to a player you've paid either market, or above market, rates for his entire career.

Dirk accepting a 3 year /$30m deal, when Houston was happy to pay him something in the vicinity of $30m per year, is loyalty.

If Dame is loyal, he should be reasonable about this. If not, I'm happy to trade him to a contender for a good offer.
LillardTime
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#25 » by LillardTime » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:04 am

Dame Lizard wrote:I'll be very annoyed if we do offer Dame a further extension. Which is ironic as, per my name, I'm a fan of his.

We've paid him very well over his entire Portland career. Extending Dame now, when he is already on a long-term contract and when he's a 6'3" point guard whose prime is uncertain, makes absolutely no sense.

Make business decisions Portland. Don't get suckered into paying a loyalty extension to a player you've paid either market, or above market, rates for his entire career.

Dirk accepting a 3 year /$30m deal, when Houston was happy to pay him something in the vicinity of $30m per year, is loyalty.

If Dame is loyal, he should be reasonable about this. If not, I'm happy to trade him to a contender for a good offer.

If Dame truly wants to win a chip in Portland he shouldn’t hold the team to ransom for a max extension. I’m not saying he should take a deal similar to what Dirk received but surely an extension at around $25m-30m/yr after this deal is up is reasonable? By the time this current contract is up he will have made over $300m, no doubt he has earned every dollar and been an amazing player for the Blazers suiting up night after night and never making excuses, but there comes a point where it just doesn’t make sense anymore from a basketball point of view.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers