ImageImage

Game 47: Portland vs Minnesota 7:00pm Root,Root+

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,913

Re: Game 47: Portland vs Minnesota 7:00pm Root,Root+ 

Post#21 » by JasonStern » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:32 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:Speaking of error, in the last 2 games Simons has 12 assists and 12 turnovers. He needs a refresher in ball security because opposing teams are building scouting reports on him

Or maybe Olshey's "Simons is PG, not an undersized SG" narrative is inaccurate...?
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Re: Game 47: Portland vs Minnesota 7:00pm Root,Root+ 

Post#22 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:00 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:Speaking of error, in the last 2 games Simons has 12 assists and 12 turnovers. He needs a refresher in ball security because opposing teams are building scouting reports on him

Or maybe Olshey's "Simons is PG, not an undersized SG" narrative is inaccurate...?

I've seen enough from Simons to indicate he can be a PG, or at least a scoring PG. He has better court vision than CJ IMO. He's not CP3 or Nash, but those are pass first PG's. More like Dame. But he has to prove a lot more than he has

the Simons as 'young-starter-who-collects-much-hype' has been going on for 13 games. Portland's record is 7-6 in those games, which is the same ratio as home/road games. Here is that 13 game schedule in terms of the opponents defensive ranking and if the result was a win or a loss:

28th - W
7th - L
3rd - L
29th - W
18th - W
16th -L
22nd - W
21st - W
7th - L
4th - W (Boston)
20th - W
10th - L
5th - L

the one outlier here is the Boston game. They didn't have their best perimeter defender so their defense was probably a little less than normal. I guess it's not that far out of line of what you'd expect. I don't think Simons has faced many good perimeter defenders in that stretch though

Ant's numbers have also tumbled since CJ got back:

Points/game: without CJ 28.3....with CJ 20.0
FGA/game: without CJ 19.2....with CJ 16.2
FG%: without CJ 51.3%....with CJ 42.2%
Assists/game: without CJ 8.2....with CJ 6.2
Turnovers/game: without CJ 2.7....with CJ 3.3

this may be a window looking at what what happen to Simons if CJ was traded and he became the starting SG alongside Dame

Return to Portland Trail Blazers