ImageImage

2022 draft/prospects thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,889

Re: 2022 draft/prospects thread 

Post#361 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 18, 2022 5:45 pm

Wow. Mark really helped himself today. I hope he ends up in OKC, a Chet / Mark frontline could be insane on defense.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#362 » by Norm2953 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:04 pm

One can easily see the OKC Thunder are just poised to have a monster draft for they can pick whoever the Magic
leave for them at two and pick Williams at 12 (if he gets there)

It's the reason why I don't want the Blazers to trade down from 7 for they are sitting in an ideal spot to draft a
replacement for Nurk.

My post draft mock draft

1) Magic Holmgren
2) OKC Smith
3) Hou Banchero
4) Kings Murray
5) Det Ivey
6) Ind Mathurin
7 Port Duren
8) NO Williams
9) SAS Sharpe
10 Was Griffin

Sharpe measuring at 6-5, Mathurin at 6-6 at the combine might impact where they are picked . I think Mark
Williams is going to go very high, perhaps as high as 3 to the Rockets when its all said and done
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#363 » by Case2012 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:39 pm

If Mathurin and Murray are off the board trade the pick. I still can’t believe we let Detroit out tank us and let Hart go off for 44 against Washington. I have ZERO interest in drafting a center in the lottery, how many times do we have to learn that mistake? We NEED an elite 3/4 desperately to have any relevance in the league.

I know I’m gonna be grilled for this but a sign and trade of Simons (hart would need to be added for outgoing salary apparently?) for Randle, Reddish and a future first. Use the 7th to get 13 and 15. Use 13, Milwaukee pick and Bledsoe for Turner. Use the 15th, Keon, and tpe for Grant.

Sign and trade Nurk for Oubre

Dame/ Dunn
Nas/ Oubre
Grant/ Reddish
Randle/ Winslow
Turner/ Eubanks

That would be a top 3 defense and those are Billups types of players. It’s a big, lengthy, rangy, group of switchable forwards with Turner being a rim protector and floor spacer. We could have a 5 out offense and a top perimeter defensive team with one of the best rim protectors in the league. This would the most anti Olshey roster possible, and I love it. Another idea i had was a sign and trade of Simons for Cam Johnson, but I think Simons has more value. This way we get an all nba 4, another wing and a future first. Randle is worth the gamble IMO. I would also sweeten the pot for turner as much as I needed too. Billups likes him and i love his fit in that style of play.

I really think Randle cratered due to the pressure and fans of NYC. That place is brutal on it’s teams and Portland would embrace and celebrate Randle. I bet he would have an all nba season again in PDX.

If it’s a colossal failure, everyone besides Dame and Randle are off the books giving us room for a max offer in a better 2023 FA class.
Instagram: @casetwelve
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#364 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed May 18, 2022 9:32 pm

Portland should inquire on the cost of moving up a spot to grab Murray, if Indiana is torn between him and someone else at that spot it might not cost us too much.

Although assuming Indiana also sees a similar drop off after 6, Portland might want to look into moving down to pick up an extra pick. I dont really love any of Mathurin, Duren or Griffin for us more than some of these other names available further down:

Daniels
Sochan
Eason
Williams
Dieng
Agbaji
Kessler
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#365 » by Dame Lizard » Wed May 18, 2022 11:01 pm

Case2012 wrote:If Mathurin and Murray are off the board trade the pick. I still can’t believe we let Detroit out tank us and let Hart go off for 44 against Washington. I have ZERO interest in drafting a center in the lottery, how many times do we have to learn that mistake? We NEED an elite 3/4 desperately to have any relevance in the league.

I know I’m gonna be grilled for this but a sign and trade of Simons (hart would need to be added for outgoing salary apparently?) for Randle, Reddish and a future first. Use the 7th to get 13 and 15. Use 13, Milwaukee pick and Bledsoe for Turner. Use the 15th, Keon, and tpe for Grant.

Dame/ Dunn
Nas/ Oubre
Grant/ Reddish
Randle/ Winslow
Turner/ Eubanks

That would be a top 3 defense and those are Billups types of players. It’s a big, lengthy, rangy, group of switchable forwards with Turner being a rim protector and floor spacer. We could have a 5 out offense and a top perimeter defensive team with one of the best rim protectors in the league. This would the most anti Olshey roster possible, and I love it. Another idea i had was a sign and trade of Simons for Cam Johnson, but I think Simons has more value. This way we get an all nba 4, another wing and a future first. Randle is worth the gamble IMO. I would also sweeten the pot for turner as much as I needed too. Billups likes him and i love his fit in that style of play.

I really think Randle cratered due to the pressure and fans of NYC. That place is brutal on it’s teams and Portland would embrace and celebrate Randle. I bet he would have an all nba season again in PDX.

If it’s a colossal failure, everyone besides Dame and Randle are off the books giving us room for a max offer in a better 2023 FA class.
Consider me one to grill you for that Randle trade!

The beauty of Simons is that if (more likely when in my eyes) the Dame re-tool fails, we simply blow the team up and build around Simons.

If we make that Randle trade, which I feel is poor value irrespective, then we're left with a bad contract and a first round pick to build around. That's gross.

Also, Hart going off for 44pts isn't what hurt our tank. The fact is we were tanking from a playoff position. Our tank competitors were entrenched in the bottom from the start. We won 2 of the last 23 games people. That's practically criminal. In all honesty, we deserve to be unlucky with 7th after that blatant almost unbelievable tank job over the last quarter of the season.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#366 » by Dame Lizard » Wed May 18, 2022 11:14 pm

Unfortunately Eason is probably off the board at #13 after today's measurements.

Fortunately, Mark Williams' freakish measurements might actually cause Murray (who I have at #6), drop to 7th perhaps.
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#367 » by Case2012 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:16 am

Dame Lizard wrote:
Case2012 wrote:If Mathurin and Murray are off the board trade the pick. I still can’t believe we let Detroit out tank us and let Hart go off for 44 against Washington. I have ZERO interest in drafting a center in the lottery, how many times do we have to learn that mistake? We NEED an elite 3/4 desperately to have any relevance in the league.

Dame/ Dunn
Nas/ Oubre
Grant/ Reddish
Randle/ Winslow
Turner/ Eubanks

The beauty of Simons is that if (more likely when in my eyes) the Dame re-tool fails, we simply blow the team up and build around Simons.

If we make that Randle trade, which I feel is poor value irrespective, then we're left with a bad contract and a first round pick to build around. That's gross.

Also, Hart going off for 44pts isn't what hurt our tank. The fact is we were tanking from a playoff position. Our tank competitors were entrenched in the bottom from the start. We won 2 of the last 23 games people. That's practically criminal. In all honesty, we deserve to be unlucky with 7th after that blatant almost unbelievable t tank job over the last quarter of the season.

Gotta be honest, I don't like your bound to fail attitude. I think the team I just proposed constructing is a championship contender. Simply blowing the team up and building around Simons is a nice idea and all if you had anyway of ensuring that happening. We could easily just become the kings, the wolves, the wizards etc.

Our gm sucks at trades, so it'll be difficult to improve there. We obviously aren't a fa destination and trading Dame after all the loyalty he's shown isn't going to inspire other free agents any time soon. That leaves the draft, which means tanking again, probably for 3 or 4 years and there's no guarantee we win on those picks.

I want to win now. There is no tomorrow. Championship organizations operate with that mentality.

We have a superstar in his prime and we should go all in for once.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,889

Post#368 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 19, 2022 12:24 am

No team with Julius Randle as the #2 offensive option is winning a ring.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#369 » by Dame Lizard » Thu May 19, 2022 12:42 am

Case2012 wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:

Dame/ Dunn
Nas/ Oubre
Grant/ Reddish
Randle/ Winslow
Turner/ Eubanks

Also, Hart going off for 44pts isn't what hurt our tank. The fact is we were tanking from a playoff position. Our tank competitors were entrenched in the bottom from the start. We won 2 of the last 23 games people. That's practically criminal. In all honesty, we deserve to be unlucky with 7th after that blatant almost unbelievable t tank job over the last quarter of the season.

Gotta be honest, I don't like your bound to fail attitude. I think the team I just proposed constructing is a championship contender. Simply blowing the team up and building around Simons is a nice idea and all if you had anyway of ensuring that happening. We could easily just become the kings, the wolves, the wizards etc.

Our gm sucks at trades, so it'll be difficult to improve there. We obviously aren't a fa destination and trading Dame after all the loyalty he's shown isn't going to inspire other free agents any time soon. That leaves the draft, which means tanking again, probably for 3 or 4 years and there's no guarantee we win on those picks.

I want to win now. There is no tomorrow. Championship organizations operate with that mentality.

This legit gives us a one year window, if that.

That starting lineup alone has $138M in salary over 2022-2023.

We obviously aren't going to be able to resign Turner and Grant, so we're just handing out assets for one year rentals. That's what we've done in recent years (RoCo had a two year contract and Nance a one year) and it's flat out failed.

Turning a complete blind eye to the organisation's future is just a bad decision imo..
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#370 » by Norm2953 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:58 am

Most Blazer fans don't want to hear about a long term view but until we see him on the court in 2022-23,
we really don't know if he'll be that superstar in his prime.

I'm not building a team that has a risky 1-2 window that likely will be terribly expensive. We're not setup
like the GSW, who also have young players to play behind their veteran superstar players. Make the trade
for Grant if possible but keep the #7 pick that should yield a player who will develop into a solid player.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#371 » by Norm2953 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:06 am

Dame Lizard wrote:Unfortunately Eason is probably off the board at #13 after today's measurements.

Fortunately, Mark Williams' freakish measurements might actually cause Murray (who I have at #6), drop to 7th perhaps.

Very unlikely Mark Williams is going to rise into the top 5 but its possible with the Kings who have blown more lottery
picks in NBA history. It'll be interesting to see what Houston at 3 and the Kings at 4 do. One thing certain, Williams
is going to be a lottery pick. If he interviews well, one can see him going in the later part of the lottery.
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#372 » by Case2012 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:26 am

Dame Lizard wrote:
Case2012 wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:Consider me one to grill you for that Randle trade!

We obviously aren't going to be able to resign Turner and Grant, so we're just handing out assets for one year rentals. That's what we've done in recent years (RoCo had a two year contract and Nance a one year) and it's flat out failed.

Turning a complete blind eye to the organisation's future is just a bad decision imo..

We can re-sign them with bird rights or extend them before next off season. La pushed in all their chips and won a ring, but missed the playoffs the following 2 seasons. Mil pushed in all the chips and would've probably repeated if Middleton didn't get injured.

No team in history has won it all or even come close by straddling the fence and not going all in when they had the chance. The last time the blazers went all in they were a 4th qtr collapse and ref job away from a wcf championship and eventually the ring. If our window is 2 years, then do it. I would rather win a ring or get at least to the finals once and spend the next 4 years in the lottery than being on the treadmill olshey has had us on the last 9 years.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#373 » by Dame Lizard » Thu May 19, 2022 2:27 am

Case2012 wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:
Case2012 wrote:

We can re-sign them with bird rights or extend them before next off season. La pushed in all their chips and won a ring, but missed the playoffs the following 2 seasons. Mil pushed in all the chips and would've probably repeated if Middleton didn't get injured.

No team in history has won it all or even come close by straddling the fence and not going all in when they had the chance. The last time the blazers went all in they were a 4th qtr collapse and ref job away from a wcf championship and eventually the ring. If our window is 2 years, then do it. I would rather win a ring or get at least to the finals once and spend the next 4 years in the lottery than being on the treadmill olshey has had us on the last 9 years.

The Lakers had a top 2 GOAT in basketball who was still playing at an excellent level.

Milwaukee had the best player in the league and a two-time MVP.

Dame is coming off an injury, following his really poor start to last season.

Nobody in your roster would have made an All Star game beyond Dame and Randle (once), the latter of whom has completely fallen off a cliff since that All Star year of his, which was a contract year I believe.

Milwaukee had Jrue and Middleton. Lakers had Anthony Davis. Both are just unrealistic comparisons imo.

I remain completely unconvinced that we could resign both Turner and Grant beyond next season, although admittedly don't know much about the salary cap nuances.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#374 » by Dame Lizard » Thu May 19, 2022 2:34 am

The biggest issue I have with going all in, is that I still don't see us having a Top 5 team in the league.

If we could push all our chips in for a Paul George or Jimmy Butler type of player (which were opportunities a few years ago), that's a different conversation. Grant, Turner and Randle aren't that.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#375 » by Norm2953 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:16 am

Indeed, even if the Suns take a step back, Memphis, GSW, Dallas, LAC will be better than Portland,
no matter what they do. There will also be teams like NO who finally might get Zion back, Minn,
and Denver who will a tough match up. Think about a big improvement in OKC if they can
draft one of Chet/Jabari and Mark Williams at 12.

Those guys Portland gets this summer will not be elite players and I think its stupid to expect after
one off season, Portland will be in position to really challenge the better teams in the WC. There will
be incremental improvements but Jerami Grant is hardly on par with the Pau George level talent that
is needed.
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#376 » by Case2012 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:17 am

Dame Lizard wrote:The biggest issue I have with going all in, is that I still don't see us having a Top 5 team in the league.

If we could push all our chips in for a Paul George or Jimmy Butler type of player (which were opportunities a few years ago), that's a different conversation. Grant, Turner and Randle aren't that.

I think Randle had a bad year because Knicks fans are the worst. He clearly didn't like playing there and the media is brutal. Swapping Simons plus 7 for Randle and 11 would be a pretty damn good return especially if they included Burks. Getting Grant for the Milwaukee first is very realistic and probably going to happen. Turner led the league in blocks and shot 40% from 3. He's also a really good passer. That would be the best team Dame's played with. Not only that, but they make up for Dame's weaknesses being surrounded by Big, long, athletic guys.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,383

Post#377 » by JRoy » Thu May 19, 2022 3:56 am

Dame/ Dunn
Nas/ Oubre
Grant/ Reddish
Randle/ Winslow
Turner/ Eubanks

Little as a starting sg?

Can’t shoot or dribble.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#378 » by Case2012 » Thu May 19, 2022 4:04 am

I think Nas will improve. He's not the best shooter but he can defend multiple positions and he had the highest motor on the team. I don't mind him starting at the 2.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,383

Post#379 » by JRoy » Thu May 19, 2022 4:58 am

Case2012 wrote:I think Nas will improve. He's not the best shooter but he can defend multiple positions and he had the highest motor on the team. I don't mind him starting at the 2.

Are you basing that on his height?

Because has no guard skills.

At all.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#380 » by m0ng0 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:10 am

Yeah you have made no case for realistically making this team a legit contender, let alone any sort of long term plan. This team is in big trouble and some tough decisions need to be made. We can't get Fa's even with Dame potentially recruiting (which I don't even know if he actively is) So the only hope we have is drafting players and spending the time developing these players and hoping they will stay.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers