ImageImage

Why didn’t Cronin make the trade with the Bulls?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Why didn’t Cronin make the trade with the Bulls? 

Post#1 » by Blazers20 » Sun Feb 6, 2022 7:18 am

Would Chicago made the trade for RoCo and or Nance for the Blazers 2022 pick and matching salary (expiring)?
GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Re: Why didn’t Cronin make the trade with the Bulls? 

Post#2 » by GOBlazers » Sun Feb 6, 2022 3:51 pm

Guys on the Bulls board were interested in covington. But they had a tough time matching salaries since Derrick Jones Jr can't be traded to the blazers this season.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#3 » by Blazers20 » Sun Feb 6, 2022 4:29 pm

Coby White-Troy Brown-Blazers 2022 for RoCo could had worked
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Post#4 » by JasonStern » Sun Feb 6, 2022 5:36 pm

The Blazers gave away two starters on good contracts for a late 1st prospect and a 2025 2nd round pick. At least ten other teams could have and would have beaten that offer. The Allens and Steve Ballmer have been friends for decades. Hell of a coincidence his team ends up the beneficiaries of a horrible trade.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#5 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Feb 6, 2022 5:45 pm

GOBlazers wrote:Guys on the Bulls board were interested in covington. But they had a tough time matching salaries since Derrick Jones Jr can't be traded to the blazers this season.

I know Portland couldn't re-sign Jones for a year after trading him. I'm not sure that rule extends to trades; maybe. Looking thru the CBA FAQ gets real difficult in the trading rules section so I'm not sure. I haven't seen that specific rule but it could be in there, somewhere

Probably would have been possible to find a 3rd team willing to take Jones and his expiring contract with a 2nd round pick as incentive
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#6 » by DusterBuster » Sun Feb 6, 2022 5:52 pm

JasonStern wrote:The Blazers gave away two starters on good contracts for a late 1st prospect and a 2025 2nd round pick. At least ten other teams could have and would have beaten that offer. The Allens and Steve Ballmer have been friends for decades. Hell of a coincidence his team ends up the beneficiaries of a horrible trade.

Yeah, this deal smells of cronyism from top to bottom. Between the Microsoft connection to Billups…
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
bojo2112jon
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by bojo2112jon » Sun Feb 6, 2022 7:39 pm

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#8 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Feb 6, 2022 8:15 pm

JasonStern wrote:The Blazers gave away two starters on good contracts for a late 1st prospect and a 2025 2nd round pick. At least ten other teams could have and would have beaten that offer. The Allens and Steve Ballmer have been friends for decades. Hell of a coincidence his team ends up the beneficiaries of a horrible trade.

I mean, at least it might hurt the Lakers.

We’re like a minor league franchise giving talent to the real teams
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#9 » by PDXKnight » Mon Feb 7, 2022 4:59 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I mean, at least it might hurt the Lakers.

We’re like a minor league franchise giving talent to the real teams

Yup it’s insane. We pay the kind of value for powell as if he’s a fringe all star giving up a young stud for him and then we resign him so there isn’t the flight risk and yet we manage to give him away for 2 percent of the value we paid for him. I don’t care what else cronin does he’s the worst gm in blazer history besides maybe John nash
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#10 » by monopoman » Tue Feb 8, 2022 11:59 pm

What's hilarious if it indeed was the Balmer Microsoft connection we might get payback in the future. One of those I scratch your back you scratch mine down the line.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers