ImageImage

Nurkic out at least a month

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Re: Nurkic out at least a month 

Post#21 » by Jsun947 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:54 pm

They won’t shut down Ant for more than a couple games the last week or so unless he’s actually hurt but they will really kick back MPG on our main guys like Hart or Winslow in favor of Johnson, Eubanks, etc

I’m actually glad they are doing this, especially if they’ve made a decision on Nurk’s FA status as an extension at a reasonable price ($10-13 mil per). Having him on a roster at a reasonable price gives us flexibility in both building a roster and making him a more attractive trade asset.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#22 » by DusterBuster » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:57 pm

Nurk is a known quality player around the league. He has nothing to prove going into FA this summer. If the playoffs are out of the picture in the Blazers POV, there's no reason for him to keep playing and risk an injury - regardless of if he resigns in Portland or signs elsewhere.

One of those situations that's in the best interest of all sides for him to not play anymore.

Simons still is growing into a role and has more to prove/learn - makes sense not to sit him quite yet for either the Blazers, who want him to keep maturing as a player for next season, or Simons' camp who want the best deal they can get this summer.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Post#23 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:19 pm

Yeah, I don't see them shutting down Ant until April at the earliest. MIP possibility + upcoming contract, it'd send a bad message to all young restricted players if they sat him down. let him go earn as much money as he can.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#24 » by Goldbum » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:20 pm

Portland not messing around with this tank
,maybe we can cut Ingles and give Thon Maker a contract till the end of the year...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#25 » by monopoman » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:58 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:trail blazers already said publicly that the plan is to re-sign nurk

Probably have to resign him to keep Dame happy. He’s had a good year but hopefully his contract is manageable as a huge contract to an injury riddled scenario is a scary prospect

If the contract is acceptable i can live with keeping dame happy enough to extend his deal. Yeah dame probably ends up getting dealt eventually given anf is probably the pgotf but would be nice if we secured him up so we can maximize value going forward.

He also will be turning 28 this summer, so if he can stay healthy he is hitting his prime years hypothetically. If we will ever see what a full in his prime Nurk would look like it will be over the next 3 or so years.

Even if Dame is not going to be in Portland for all of those years, I love how he pairs with Anfernee.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#26 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:58 am

I’m actually glad they are doing this, especially if they’ve made a decision on Nurk’s FA status as an extension at a reasonable price ($10-13 mil per).

NBA bigs locked up at 10-13 per season in 2023 offseason -

Kelly Olynyk 12.8M
Dwight Powell 11.8M
Richaun Holmes 11.2M
Derrick Favors 10.1M

The big guy is worth more than that, 100%. I think 15M would be the sweet spot.

Even if Dame is gone, IMO you keep Nurkic around given his chemistry with Ant. A PNR pairing for a youngster like Simons really helps player development IMO.
Jsun947
Analyst

Post#27 » by Jsun947 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:44 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
I’m actually glad they are doing this, especially if they’ve made a decision on Nurk’s FA status as an extension at a reasonable price ($10-13 mil per).

Kelly Olynyk 12.8M
Dwight Powell 11.8M
Richaun Holmes 11.2M
Derrick Favors 10.1M

Even if Dame is gone, IMO you keep Nurkic around given his chemistry with Ant. A PNR pairing for a youngster like Simons really helps player development IMO.

Which team with cap space is lining up to pay nurk 15 per year this summer? It's not Orlando, San Antonio, Indiana, Memphis, Chicago, OKC, Sacramento, or Minnesota, and I have very serious doubts its Detroit... And that's probably all the teams with any cap space.

Why should we give it to him? The dude is a huge injury risk. I don't think he's worth more than like 40/3 with the last year not guaranteed
wjun15
Rookie
And1: 407

Post#28 » by wjun15 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:47 am

good strategy. not only does this secure a worst 7 record in the league, it could hurt Simons and how much money other teams may offer him (hopefully).
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#29 » by GEE » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:07 am

Simons HAS BEEN playing injured for weeks now. How, and to what degree, I don't know, but his thumb was wrapped for the last several games. Hopefully same move, for Simons coming soon. 6'2 G-leaguer just recently inked.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#30 » by Norm2953 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:04 am

We'll likely see crowds (?) of 4-5000 as season ticket holders stay away or try to sell their remaining
games since Portland is no longer trying to win in 2021-22 season.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#31 » by Goldbum » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:34 pm

Unless Ant gets hurt I'll still be watching. Let's start GB3.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#32 » by BNM » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:07 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Kelly Olynyk 12.8M
Dwight Powell 11.8M
Richaun Holmes 11.2M
Derrick Favors 10.1M

Nurk is currently eligible to sign a contract extension with a max value of $64.5/4 years (average annual salary $16.1 million). If he does not sign that extension by the end of POR's season, he will become a UFA and can test the market to see if he can get more money elsewhere this summer. There have been reports that there is mutual interest from both Nurk and the Blazers to bring him back. The timing of this "injury" seem to align with those reports.

He could also sign a shorter extension ($13 million/1 year or $26 million/2years). This would allow Nurk the opportunity to test free agency in the summer of 2023 or 2024. It also comes with no trade eligibility restrictions - meaning the Blazers could trade him this offseason. I think the only reason Nurk would consider this is to give him a possible out if the Blazers trade Dame. I think Nurk wants to remain in Portland as long as Dame is here.

However, given his injury history, I believe he is more likely to sign the max $64.5 million/4 year deal (assuming it's on the table) for the long term financial security. Plus, if POR does trade Dame, they can also trade Nurk at that time. Even at the max eligible extension of $64.5 million/4 years, it's not an onerous contract and would be easily moveable.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#33 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:32 pm

this looks like a solid tank move

however, as someone who has suffered from plantar faciitis I can testify it is no joke. More than that, is it can flare up and go from a nuisance to crippling overnight. And once it's inflamed, it can take a long long time to heal because of the lack of blood supply to the fascia. So, if Nurk has been dealing with this for months, I think it's completely credible it could have suddenly worsened

I also think it's credible, as some are saying, that there is already an agreement in principle on a new contract. I think Nurk always wanted to re-sign in Portland, JUST AS LONG as he knew Dame was going to be there too. Dame's buy-in with Billups and the direction of the team, and Portland's obvious continued commitment to Dame almost certainly has Nurkic buying in too. If there was a legitimate chance Dame wouldn't be a Blazer, Nurkic would be very unlikely to re-sign. He's said that explicitly
kumquat
Starter
And1: 63

Post#34 » by kumquat » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:25 pm

Bring on the Watford era!
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#35 » by Pattycakes » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:12 pm

Jsun947 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Kelly Olynyk 12.8M
Dwight Powell 11.8M
Richaun Holmes 11.2M
Derrick Favors 10.1M

Which team with cap space is lining up to pay nurk 15 per year this summer? It's not Orlando, San Antonio, Indiana, Memphis, Chicago, OKC, Sacramento, or Minnesota, and I have very serious doubts its Detroit... And that's probably all the teams with any cap space.

Why should we give it to him? The dude is a huge injury risk. I don't think he's worth more than like 40/3 with the last year not guaranteed

You’re paying Meyers Leonard money to Nurk??

“Cmon man”
Jsun947
Analyst

Post#36 » by Jsun947 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:13 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
Jsun947 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Kelly Olynyk 12.8M
Dwight Powell 11.8M
Richaun Holmes 11.2M
Derrick Favors 10.1M

“Cmon man”

Meyers Leonard doesn't have anything to do with it.

64.5 over 4 starts him around 14.31 mil which is fine with me if not fully guaranteed.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#37 » by BNM » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:46 pm

Jsun947 wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:
Jsun947 wrote:

“Cmon man”

Meyers Leonard doesn't have anything to do with it.

64.5 over 4 starts him around 14.31 mil which is fine with me if not fully guaranteed.

Nurk's last contract was team friendly with the final year being a team option. But, Rich Paul wasn't his agent then. I can see Paul pushing for the full $64.5 million being guaranteed.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#38 » by zzaj » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:08 am

I also am a PF sufferer...and yeah, it can get real bad, real quick. That being said...I don't think this is a 'real' injury.

I have a strange feeling that we're going to be very disappointed with the Nurkic situation.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#39 » by Case2012 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:21 am

Just realized Nurk blocked me on twitter and I have no idea why LOL I’ve never said anything negative about him and I like him as a player and person, pretty funny stuff.
Instagram: @casetwelve

Return to Portland Trail Blazers