tank thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Re: tank thread 

Post#161 » by Moonbeam » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:55 am

That was a tough way to end a brutal season. I hope the off-season brings more joy!
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#162 » by Dame Lizard » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:26 am

Please let the tank be worth it .

Not only were we historically bad to close out the season, but we didn't have the luxury of having any genuine star prospects to inspect.

While teams like OKC, Detroit, Houston have had to experience this over a much longer period than we did, at least they got to watch Shai, Cade and Jalen etc.

Bring on a hopefully favourable lottery + free agency run (for once....).
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,461

Post#163 » by Pattycakes » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:58 pm

No good reason the pick should have have protections like such. NO gets to make the playoffs and keep the pick? Tf
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,428

Post#164 » by Myth » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:46 pm

Pattycakes wrote:No good reason the pick should have have protections like such. NO gets to make the playoffs and keep the pick? Tf

It’s because they made a trade with a lottery protected pick to Charlotte previously so they didn’t have the rights to their own pick in this scenario to offer to Portland.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,843

Post#165 » by Norm2953 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:43 pm

It'll be interesting to see what Portland does if after their pick drops to 7-8 after the lottery.

If the three bigs, Ivey and Murray are gone, they are left with mostly guards to choose from and'
might be open to a trade down with the Hornets who might package 13/15 to get to 6 or 7.

That would give them a pick to offer to Detroit for Grant and they could take Duren or one
of the backup centers like Mark Williams in this draft.

Not an ideal off season and likely lead to another turn in the 2023 lottery after Dame throws his
hands up and asks out at next year's trade deadline.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#166 » by Dame Lizard » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:29 pm

Norm2953 wrote:It'll be interesting to see what Portland does if after their pick drops to 7-8 after the lottery.

If the three bigs, Ivey and Murray are gone, they are left with mostly guards to choose from and'
might be open to a trade down with the Hornets who might package 13/15 to get to 6 or 7.

That would give them a pick to offer to Detroit for Grant and they could take Duren or one
of the backup centers like Mark Williams in this draft.

Not an ideal off season and likely lead to another turn in the 2023 lottery after Dame throws his
hands up and asks out at next year's trade deadline.
It's a good thought.

If those five players are off the board as you hypothesise, in theory I'd be ok with moving down to split our pick into a later lottery + mid first round pick.

Basically the reverse of our Zach Collins draft pick trade.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#167 » by Case2012 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:07 pm

I just pray that Jody sells the team and the whole front office is replaced. Cronin, while seemingly a really nice person.. is a joke as a GM and should be replaced asap. He should not be trusted to make any moves regarding the roster after what he’s showed so far.
Instagram: @casetwelve
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#168 » by soobias » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:46 pm

if cronin can make this team into somewhat of a memphis team(no cap) IDE be ok with that. where as a group of young low priced players that play hard every game. been watching some of their games since about 1/2 way through the season.i think billups was/is bringing that brand of bball and in a small sample size it seems like it was working til we shut everyone down for tanking reasons.

still not a fan of 1st trade and 2nd trade stings a little bit but all n all i feel we can be alright, look at how crappy PHX,MINI,MEMPH were, but imo the longer we hold onto DAME and that contract, it'll come back to hurt us.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#169 » by Norm2953 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:46 pm

Portland without the second lottery pick, seems to be in a pickle if they end up at 6 or above.

Presumably they would workout AJ Griffin, Mathurin, Sharpe, Davis, etc. If they don't care for
any of them, they really might prefer mid round FRP. I wonder if they might look for a S/T
deal with Simons with Orlando basically offering them Simons + 6 for 2, 32,35. That would
give them either Holmgren or Smith at 2 and with three high SRP, could go BPA to fill in their
needs. They might then might consider packaging 32,35 to get into the back end of the first
round if there was a player they wanted.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#170 » by Blazinaway » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:24 pm

maybe the gods of luck will throw us a bone and we get a top 3 pick when the dice roll
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#171 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:45 pm

If Portland could jump OKC in the draft, perhaps they could trade their pick for both of OKC's lottery picks.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Post#172 » by JasonStern » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:08 am

I predicted for years this would be the SHTF off-season. Too many big contracts and expirings to keep the treadmill moving. I just expected yet another 1st round loss to the Warriors. No idea how this plays out, but Cronin's moves certainly don't put Portland in a position of power.

Funny thing is I have finally accepted that moving on from Dame might be the best move going forward. But with the current regime, I fear getting back Westbrick and a 2027 LAL 1st along with some narrative about how great getting out of Dame's contract is, because it allows us the opportunity to replace a top ten player with flexibility.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
soobias
Pro Prospect

Post#173 » by soobias » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:15 am

i guess im the only one who wants to trade Dame before his contract is too big to move and we're stuck with it rather than moving him for young players/picks and try to stay somewhat flexible cap wise .
i dont know what we could get and im not going to try to pretend what we could get for him and i know whoever we would get probably wont fill his shoes but im ok with that as long as we can get couple good pieces and picks.
i would be ok with rolling out with a young group under this coaching staff that'll be 2 way players.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#174 » by m0ng0 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:20 am

Well...now that the NOP pick didn't pan out I think we all know which way this franchise needs to go and that is get young and hungry and sadly I think that means we need to cut bait with Dame and let him go somewhere that has a chance to win now and get as many picks over the next few years as we can and just start building a new core from the ground up.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#175 » by monopoman » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:24 am

I really doubt that we ever trade him for a few extremely late picks from the Lakers and Westbrook. I would say this without a shadow of a doubt if PA was still alive, he hated the Lakers almost as much as Blazer fans do.

I am ready to go protest the Moda Center if they really do move Dame for that package, It would be the dumbest **** move I could possibly imagine. I also have a hard time imagining Dame loving being a Laker with a LBJ that is slowly losing his abilities and an AD that couldn't keep his ass healthy if his life depended on it.

I personally don't mind Dame retiring a Blazer it might hurt us for a few years financially but he might take a slightly cheaper deal like Dirk did.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#176 » by DusterBuster » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:26 am

monopoman wrote:I really doubt that we ever trade him for a few extremely late picks from the Lakers and Westbrook. I would say this without a shadow of a doubt if PA was still alive, he hated the Lakers almost as much as Blazer fans do.

I am ready to go protest the Moda Center if they really do move Dame for that package. It would be the dumbest **** move I could possibly imagine. I also have a hard time imagining Dame loving being a Laker with a LBJ that is slowly losing his abilities and an AD that couldn't keep his ass healthy if his life depended on it.

Where did all this Westbrook and picks idea come from? Why have I seen it pop up online a lot.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#177 » by monopoman » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:31 am

DusterBuster wrote:
monopoman wrote:I really doubt that we ever trade him for a few extremely late picks from the Lakers and Westbrook. I would say this without a shadow of a doubt if PA was still alive, he hated the Lakers almost as much as Blazer fans do.

I am ready to go protest the Moda Center if they really do move Dame for that package. It would be the dumbest **** move I could possibly imagine. I also have a hard time imagining Dame loving being a Laker with a LBJ that is slowly losing his abilities and an AD that couldn't keep his ass healthy if his life depended on it.

Where did all this Westbrook and picks idea come from? Why have I seen it pop up online a lot.

Laker fans pushing it like it's the best offer the Blazers will get for Dame. Keep in mind since the Lakers are so popular everyone and their dog starts throwing out trade ideas for them whenever they struggle. ESPN helps push this narrative also if it's not big market they don't give a ****.
soobias
Pro Prospect

Post#178 » by soobias » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:12 am

no to westbrick and the lakers, imo i would move dame to east coast
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#179 » by Norm2953 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:37 pm

Let's just wait until May 17 when the lottery takes place.

Remember there is a 37% chance at a top 4 pick but a 50% chance at a 7-8 pick. This just seems like
as Jason says is a SHTF type of off season after a putrid 21-22 season.

The lottery odds seem to mirror the odds of Blazer management making the correct moves. Will
they have the patience to do what most teams would do in their place which is to not force the
retool but to add the best lottery piece they can get and use their flexibility to improve the team
while not hamstringing themselves into the luxury tax tightrope on a team that can't win a
championship.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#180 » by Norm2953 » Thu May 5, 2022 11:11 pm

Nice to see Roco get a new 24/2 deal with the Clippers. :D

Return to Portland Trail Blazers