ImageImage

Toumani Camara

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Re: Toumani Camara 

Post#21 » by DC_Melo » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:48 am

jcsunsfan wrote:for a late second-round pick and with limited opportunities to watch the guy, Camara has that "it" factor. He plays a very engaged mature game. Sad to see him go. You never know with rookies, but I think he has a chance to be a really good player.

After watching Nassir Little, I would rather have Camara.

I’ve been very pleasantly surprised with Camara. His strong play in summer league has continued into the preseason, which is always encouraging.

I get what you mean by that “it” factor. He’s got strong intangibles, especially with positioning and timing. He just seems to understand the game at a high IQ level, and has some skill and athleticism to boot. I could be wrong of course, but he’s looking like the steal of the 2nd round.

Plus his name is really cool 8-)
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,922

Post#22 » by JasonStern » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:21 pm

As others have stated, Nassir Little is a solid rotation piece when healthy. But health has been a concern. At just 23 years old and on a reasonable contract, I was a bit surprised he was traded. At least in the off-season. Seemed like a good "build some value stat padding on a bad team" candidate.

Camara has been a surprise. When the trade occurred, I figured he was just salary filler. And he might still be a g-league guy. But I could also see him stealing whatever minutes Jabari Walker was going to play.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#23 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:44 pm

JasonStern wrote:As others have stated, Nassir Little is a solid rotation piece when healthy. But health has been a concern. At just 23 years old and on a reasonable contract, I was a bit surprised he was traded. At least in the off-season. Seemed like a good "build some value stat padding on a bad team" candidate.

Camara has been a surprise. When the trade occurred, I figured he was just salary filler. And he might still be a g-league guy. But I could also see him stealing whatever minutes Jabari Walker was going to play.

If I had to guess in an ideal scenario they wanted to keep nas but they wanted ayton more and money needed to line up for the sake of the trade and cap space utilization moving forward. It's fortunate we moved on from Nas, this sets up for a good summer of 2026 especially if we can send jerami grant on his merry little way for 3 year (at most) contracts
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,855

Post#24 » by Norm2953 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:51 pm

Between Camara, Murray and Walker, there are are opportunities for PT. Let's see who steps
up to earn PT
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#25 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:59 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Between Camara, Murray and Walker, there are are opportunities for PT. Let's see who steps
up to earn PT

I'm not expecting this but as a fan of the underdog (who isnt?) I'd love to see Camara become the Blazers version of tayshaun prince
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#26 » by Norm2953 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:22 pm

It'll be interesting to see how Rupert develops this season for he won't turn 20 until
the end of the season and has played less ball than the others.

We'll likely see him play much of the season for the G league team for he needs a lot of
reps, but he might enter the picture as he grows into his body. We'd all like to see him
come along like Batum did in 2009 for I've got hopes with his long arms, he can develop
into Portland's version of Michael Cooper

https://nbl.com.au/news/french-phenom-rayan-rupert-the-latest-nbl-next-star
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#27 » by m0ng0 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:13 pm

Norm2953 wrote:It'll be interesting to see how Rupert develops this season for he won't turn 20 until
the end of the season and has played less ball than the others.

Interesting sidenote on Rupert, he has grown an inch since the draft and people think he is not quite done.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#28 » by Norm2953 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:48 pm

It's quite possible he will physically resemble Nic when its all said and done.

Right now he's as green as grass, for he was hoping for a big season in New Zealand
to get him well into the first round like his French countryman Coulibaby (sp) who
went seventh but he was hurt.

I think we'll see him the G league this season, more or less as a redshirt rookie.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#29 » by PDXKnight » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:09 pm

Norm2953 wrote:It's quite possible he will physically resemble Nic when its all said and done.

Right now he's as green as grass, for he was hoping for a big season in New Zealand
to get him well into the first round like his French countryman Coulibaby (sp) who
went seventh but he was hurt.

I think we'll see him the G league this season, more or less as a redshirt rookie.

It's gonna be a long shot for him but definitely a worthy risk with a second rounder.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,236

Post#30 » by monopoman » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:00 pm

JasonStern wrote:As others have stated, Nassir Little is a solid rotation piece when healthy. But health has been a concern. At just 23 years old and on a reasonable contract, I was a bit surprised he was traded. At least in the off-season. Seemed like a good "build some value stat padding on a bad team" candidate.

Seeing how this team does not have a great set of Forwards I would be surprised to see him in the G-League. He has looked great in every pre-season game except the Phoenix game but in that one he played 5 minutes.

It would be one thing if this team had a great set of SF but we sure as heck don't so Camara could easily be the main backup SF.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,922

Post#31 » by JasonStern » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:17 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic on Rupert. He has been solid (for a 19 year old 2nd round pick) on defense. Probably a year away from being a year away, but a wing with a 7'2" wingspan is something the Blazers have lacked. Definitely worth taking a 2nd round flyer on.

Random, but his sister plays in the WNBA.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by DC_Melo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:41 am

After Saturday’s game, I spent some time watching film of Camara (mostly at Dayton, Georgia footage was harder to find). I hadn’t really heard of him till he broke out in Summer League, so I had some catching up to do! Here are my takeaways:

Overall Impression: A lot of comps to Kris Murray as a college 4 that projects as an NBA 3. Has higher upside and likely a higher floor too (assuming his outside shooting isn’t a mirage). Versatile player with all the tools to be an elite wing role player if his athleticism can convert to playing the 3 at an NBA level.

Pros:
-Can do a bit of everything on both ends of the court
-Has excellent touch around the rim and can score from anywhere inside the arc. Shot 57% from 2 as a power forward.
-61.2 TS% on high usage his senior year at Dayton
-Great off ball cuts and instincts
-Variety of post moves
-High IQ player on both ends of the court, understands positioning really well.
-Great strength and size for an NBA wing
-Can score from the block or post by backing down or facing up
-Solid outside shooter albeit on fairly low volume (2.6 tries his senior year, less than 2/game before that)
-Super high motor
-Versatile defender that can switch onto most positions
-Above average athleticism, with some great burst for cuts and defensive playmaking. Prefers jumping off two and needs a lot of runway to be explosive off 1
-Active hands, even when not getting blocks or steals, had a lot of deflections.
-Willing passer and plays within his team’s scheme
-Strong screener that can roll or pop effectively
-Good rebounder for his size, especially on the offensive end
-Attacks close outs really well and makes out of position defenses pay. Just a smart player.

Improvement areas:
-Below average first step. Quick enough to beat a post defender when facing up (something Kris Murray struggled to do), but he isn’t beating any well positioned perimeter defender off the dribble. Relied on spin and protective dribble moves to get to the rim from the perimeter.
-Untested perimeter skills on offense. They look promising on a small sample size, but he really played mostly inside the arc in college. Most his 3s came from pick and pops, where he shot the ball well off the catch.
-Was not a good 3 point shooter at Georgia (sub 30%) improved a lot at Dayton (36% his senior year)
-Bad free throw shooter, shot in the low 60’s
-Ball Handling. Good enough to get to his spots without turning it over, but he has a very noticeable downshift in speed when handling the ball. Struggles to take advantage of his athleticism anytime he has to move with the ball.
-Decent passer but limited playmaker overall, especially off the dribble.
-Limited exposure to running the PnR as a ball handler
-A bit undersized to play the 4.

I’m stunned he fell to pick 52 after watching his tape. Maybe it had something to do with him being a college 4 that projected as a 3, and he had limited exposure to playing on the perimeter in college (plus he’s already 23). I honestly like what I saw from him on tape more than what I saw from Kris Murray, especially as far as positional awareness and athleticism (at least without the ball). I imagine Kris was viewed as a higher prospect because he was more proven from the perimeter so the switch from 4 to 3 seemed more feasible. That or the “NBA pedigree” factor of having a successful brother in the league.

He has all the tools to be a great wing role player if his skills translate at the NBA level, he can keep up with the pace of perimeter guys, and isn’t called upon to be a playmaker.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#33 » by PDXKnight » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:42 am

I don't care which one but hope one of Camara or Rupert develops into our sfotf or at least a valuable reserve
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,236

Post#34 » by monopoman » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:04 am

DC_Melo wrote:After Saturday’s game, I spent some time watching film of Camara (mostly at Dayton, Georgia footage was harder to find). I hadn’t really heard of him till he broke out in Summer League, so I had some catching up to do! Here are my takeaways:

Overall Impression: A lot of comps to Kris Murray as a college 4 that projects as an NBA 3. Has higher upside and likely a higher floor too (assuming his outside shooting isn’t a mirage). Versatile player with all the tools to be an elite wing role player if his athleticism can convert to playing the 3 at an NBA level.

Pros:
-Can do a bit of everything on both ends of the court
-Has excellent touch around the rim and can score from anywhere inside the arc. Shot 57% from 2 as a power forward.
-61.2 TS% on high usage his senior year at Dayton
-Great off ball cuts and instincts
-Variety of post moves
-High IQ player on both ends of the court, understands positioning really well.
-Great strength and size for an NBA wing
-Can score from the block or post by backing down or facing up
-Solid outside shooter albeit on fairly low volume (2.6 tries his senior year, less than 2/game before that)
-Super high motor
-Versatile defender that can switch onto most positions
-Above average athleticism, with some great burst for cuts and defensive playmaking. Prefers jumping off two and needs a lot of runway to be explosive off 1
-Active hands, even when not getting blocks or steals, had a lot of deflections.
-Willing passer and plays within his team’s scheme
-Strong screener that can roll or pop effectively
-Good rebounder for his size, especially on the offensive end
-Attacks close outs really well and makes out of position defenses pay. Just a smart player.

Improvement areas:
-Below average first step. Quick enough to beat a post defender when facing up (something Kris Murray struggled to do), but he isn’t beating any well positioned perimeter defender off the dribble. Relied on spin and protective dribble moves to get to the rim from the perimeter.
-Untested perimeter skills on offense. They look promising on a small sample size, but he really played mostly inside the arc in college. Most his 3s came from pick and pops, where he shot the ball well off the catch.
-Was not a good 3 point shooter at Georgia (sub 30%) improved a lot at Dayton (36% his senior year)
-Bad free throw shooter, shot in the low 60’s
-Ball Handling. Good enough to get to his spots without turning it over, but he has a very noticeable downshift in speed when handling the ball. Struggles to take advantage of his athleticism anytime he has to move with the ball.
-Decent passer but limited playmaker overall, especially off the dribble.
-Limited exposure to running the PnR as a ball handler
-A bit undersized to play the 4.

I’m stunned he fell to pick 52 after watching his tape. Maybe it had something to do with him being a college 4 that projected as a 3, and he had limited exposure to playing on the perimeter in college (plus he’s already 23). I honestly like what I saw from him on tape more than what I saw from Kris Murray, especially as far as positional awareness and athleticism (at least without the ball). I imagine Kris was viewed as a higher prospect because he was more proven from the perimeter so the switch from 4 to 3 seemed more feasible. That or the “NBA pedigree” factor of having a successful brother in the league.

He has all the tools to be a great wing role player if his skills translate at the NBA level, he can keep up with the pace of perimeter guys, and isn’t called upon to be a playmaker.

He might just be in the midst a bit of a hot streak from 3, but he sure looks very comfortable shooting those shots. We will see how that looks over an entire NBA season but his shot looks good out of his hands and so far it's very effective.

I see no reason to not give him at least 20 MPG, we don't have a ton of options at that position and it's not like he is pushing out some potential superstar or something.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect

Post#35 » by DC_Melo » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:54 am

monopoman wrote:
He might just be in the midst a bit of a hot streak from 3, but he sure looks very comfortable shooting those shots. We will see how that looks over an entire NBA season but his shot looks good out of his hands and so far it's very effective.

I see no reason to not give him at least 20 MPG, we don't have a ton of options at that position and it's not like he is pushing out some potential superstar or something.

I’m equally optimistic about his shooting holding up. The low FT% and 3 point volume are concerning, but all his numbers have steadily trended in the right direction and got better year over year.

My guess is he has earned some minutes in the rotation… probably 15-20 a night, and might even challenge for the starting 3 spot before long. Thybulle has not shot well and has looked surprisingly inconsistent on D this preseason, especially defending the PnR.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#36 » by PDXKnight » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:24 am

DC_Melo wrote:
monopoman wrote:

I’m equally optimistic about his shooting holding up. The low FT% and 3 point volume are concerning, but all his numbers have steadily trended in the right direction and got better year over year.

My guess is he has earned some minutes in the rotation… probably 15-20 a night, and might even challenge for the starting 3 spot before long. Thybulle has not shot well and has looked surprisingly inconsistent on D this preseason, especially defending the PnR.

I could see him being a 20 mpg starter especially if we move brogdon. Not a world beater but probably the closest thing we have to an sf on this roster short of playing jerami at his true position
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#37 » by m0ng0 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:00 pm

Dude appears to be semi legit,
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#38 » by Sinobas » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:06 pm

Camara is still a bit of an anomaly, because he look good to the eye test, he makes impressive plays, but his actual stats are abysmal. I think this is due to small sample size. But we've had players that impressed with their high energy but it was a bit of a miarage (think Thomas Robinson).
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 877

Post#39 » by red_power » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:12 pm

I like his motor, rebounding, awareness and ability to switch defensively. But everyone has to admit his offensive game at this point is almost non-existent, at least at an NBA level.
He needs to learn a few tricks to be able to put a ball into the basket consistently if we really want to see him turning into Jarred Vanderbilt rather than Thybulle.

Anyway, I find it a bit worrying if he's really a much better player right now than Murray.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
LillardTime
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#40 » by LillardTime » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:12 pm

Sinobas wrote:Camara is still a bit of an anomaly, because he look good to the eye test, he makes impressive plays, but his actual stats are abysmal. I think this is due to small sample size. But we've had players that impressed with their high energy but it was a bit of a miarage (think Thomas Robinson).

If this team is to be built around Scoot and Shaedon in the future, then we absolutely need players like Toumani who are smart and make winning plays. He doesn’t need to have the ball in his hands for long to influence the game. Every team needs their stars but every team also needs high BBIQ players that can influence winning without needing the rock in their hand.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers