ImageImage

[Game Thread] Portland @ Chicago

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#281 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:31 am

bullzman23 wrote:Also you saw the game. Without Deng on the floor our offense was really limited. If we couldn't get Gordon the ball we were usually in trouble. It just disrupted the flow of our offense. This should be evident with the Wallace, Noah, Griffin, Gordon, Duhon lineup we were forced to use. That's four guys that can't provide any offense. If you replace Griff for Deng it completely changes everything. Even if he's playing poorly, just having him on the floor is a threat that would cause your defense to react differently.

Yes and no. Deng is excellent at spacing the floor and is a terror to guard with his quickness and length; he would have broken out of that funk at some point so he would be missed. However, guys like Hinrich and Noah did not always step up when a third option behind Smith and Gordon was required, even though (as the Blazers have shown us on other nights) the production of many can make up that of a few.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#282 » by Yadadimean » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:34 am

bullzman23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's not really fair. Oden isn't technically apart of your team. He hasn't played a minute on the floor. He wasn't apart of your 13 game win streak. Deng being out would be like if Aldridge was injured after the first quarter. Comparing his loss to the Oden one doesn't make sense. If you're going to bring that up, I may as well complain about Jay Williams not being on the court.

But good game guy. It was a fun game, and def. a tough loss. Outlaw impressed me.

You're absolutely right. No way in hell Oden is an integral part of our team. In fact, if he were on the floor this year we would be garbage. No way in hell will this be a better team with a franchise center, but Deng, an above average wing player is the real difference maker for the Bulls.
R11
Junior
And1: 4

Post#283 » by R11 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:15 am

sabi wrote:I don't know what happened with Roy during the OT's but I'm hardly disappointed at all. 25 11 and 6 and he got the team going late in the 3rd and in the 4th to make the late comeback. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt tonight.

I think he gave it everything he had. Sounds like he was hurting in the OT's:

http://stats.oregonlive.com/nba/recap.a ... e=4&vis=22

CHICAGO (AP) Brandon Roy was hurting. He'd fallen on his tailbone and was so sore his mobility during two tiring overtimes was limited. He also had a cut under his eye.

"I took a couple of bangs here and there and just fought through it," Roy said.

And so did the Portland Trail Blazers, the NBA's hottest team.

Roy's teammate Jarrett Jack drove for a go-ahead basket and converted a three-point play with 19 seconds left in the second overtime as the Trail Blazers outlasted the Chicago Bulls 115-109 on Thursday night for their 15th win in 16 games.

"I fell on my tailbone in regulation and I really couldn't move," Roy said. "I told Coach I'll continue to be a decoy. ... I was just trying to gut it out for the team. We'd come too far to let this one slip."

ron
EGame
Head Coach
And1: 264

Post#284 » by EGame » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:46 am

bullzman23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's not really fair. Oden isn't technically apart of your team. He hasn't played a minute on the floor. He wasn't apart of your 13 game win streak. Deng being out would be like if Aldridge was injured after the first quarter. Comparing his loss to the Oden one doesn't make sense. If you're going to bring that up, I may as well complain about Jay Williams not being on the court.

But good game guy. It was a fun game, and def. a tough loss. Outlaw impressed me.

First off, I would like to say good game to you and the Bulls. I thought for sure you guys were going to win once you had that 14 point lead, but the Blazers were able to find a way to fight back. I really hope Deng is okay and that he will be back for you guys in your next game.

Also, I do agree that Deng could have been a difference maker in this game, however, Oden would have been as well. You guys remember getting all of those offensive rebounds and getting many, many second chance points? Yeah, Oden would have more than helped with grabbing boards, so in a way the losses do cancel eachother out.
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 56

Post#285 » by Telfaire » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:53 am

I'm not a nate hater, but he didn't deserve to win this one, the players did though. 2 OT's and only 16 mins for Przy?? and you're mad about us letting the Bulls take all those offensive rebounds? we rebounded greatly at the 1st quarter, with a least 4 for Przy.

Also, I think from the start of the 4th quarter to the end of the 2nd OT, it was the same lineup + Frye for small stretches...wer'e young, but it's still exhausting, especially for a back-to-back game. Luckily, the Bulls did the same with their lineup.

Loved to see Jones' hustle plays agasint Gordon and Nocioni at the end. Jack was also great, but he should only play alongside Roy. When Sergio was in, Jack was holding the ball too much for Sergio to be effective, even on the fast break.

And Gordon was amazing...just think of him doing the same things for us when Roy is off, or playing alongside him and nailing 3's.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#286 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:39 pm

wow, that's all i can say.

i'm impressed to see the blazers won when they were at a time unver 12 pts.

this team is the real deal.

also, having deng sidelineded was a key factor to win the game.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 964

Post#287 » by mojomarc » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:44 pm

BlackMamba wrote:wow, that's all i can say.

i'm impressed to see the blazers won when they were at a time unver 12 pts.

this team is the real deal.

also, having deng sidelineded was a key factor to win the game.

Before I'll call them "the real deal" I want to see a road win like this where having a starter injured for the other team isn't a key factor.
Charlie78
Starter

Post#288 » by Charlie78 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:15 pm

I saw roy interviewed with sager after the phx game and he basically said that at the end of the fourth going into overtime he just felt like he couldnt do anything so he told this to nate and the team. jack told him not to worry he had it and thats why Roy hardly touched the ball from that point on.

Mojo, I respect that your not there yet but I think you outta be. I think they are the real deal. Regardless of deng being injured CHI took a 14 pt lead without him on the floor, so Im not sure you can say they missed him that much. We had a comback win on the road down by double digits on a back to back with our best player so banged up that he basically asked not to be given the ball at the end of the game. If thats not the real deal then I dont know what is.
b_roy7
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#289 » by b_roy7 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:38 pm

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Before I'll call them "the real deal" I want to see a road win like this where having a starter injured for the other team isn't a key factor.
I don't know Mojo, Joe Smith wouldn't have played half as well if Deng was playing. I'm guessing though, the Bulls would've won it without the OT's if Deng was fine.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 964

Post#290 » by mojomarc » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:07 pm

Charlie78 wrote:Mojo, I respect that your not there yet but I think you outta be. I think they are the real deal. Regardless of deng being injured CHI took a 14 pt lead without him on the floor, so Im not sure you can say they missed him that much. We had a comback win on the road down by double digits on a back to back with our best player so banged up that he basically asked not to be given the ball at the end of the game. If thats not the real deal then I dont know what is.

The 14 point lead was not a result of Chicago's offense, but the fact that Portland turned the ball over several times to start the third quarter and Webster missing open shots. The difference is that with Deng, Chicago would have had a much better shot at keeping the lead even after Portland starting hitting shots. He spreads out their offense and makes them far more effecient then they are without him. Also, it's hard to say that Smith wouldn't have had the game he did have even if Deng had stayed in--he started off the game with 8 in the first on 3/4 shooting. He was a hot hand early, and he stayed hot. And he basically played a game like he has played several times this year already if you take away the overtimes. It's not like this was McBob going off for 30 points.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,882

Post#291 » by Effigy » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:00 pm

sabi wrote:I don't know what happened with Roy during the OT's but I'm hardly disappointed at all. 25 11 and 6 and he got the team going late in the 3rd and in the 4th to make the late comeback. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt tonight.

Roy got beat up is what happened. Obviously there was the incident with the cut on his eye, also earlier, Nocionni took out his knees and sent him hard to the ground going for the rebound off the missed free throw that ultimately sent the game into the first OT. Should definately have been a loose ball foul, but nothing was called. And of course he was tired from carrying us the whole game and leading us back from a 14 point defecit. I hope he'll get some good rest tonight and be ready for Utah tomorrow.
Charlie78
Starter

Post#292 » by Charlie78 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:28 pm

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The 14 point lead was not a result of Chicago's offense, but the fact that Portland turned the ball over several times to start the third quarter and Webster missing open shots. The difference is that with Deng, Chicago would have had a much better shot at keeping the lead even after Portland starting hitting shots. He spreads out their offense and makes them far more effecient then they are without him. Also, it's hard to say that Smith wouldn't have had the game he did have even if Deng had stayed in--he started off the game with 8 in the first on 3/4 shooting. He was a hot hand early, and he stayed hot. And he basically played a game like he has played several times this year already if you take away the overtimes. It's not like this was McBob going off for 30 points.

Im not questioning that deng being out didnt influence the game that much. It clearly was a factor. but not enough that it should take away from what the blazers accomplished. A comeback from a double digit lead on the road in a back to back. I guess my question is what more do you need to see at this point to think they are for real. What is the thing you are still looking for? I am as big of a homer as anyone in here. But I have been consiously trying to down play this streak in my own head, but i think theyve proven what they need to prove. At this point if we dont make the playoffs I view that as a dissapointment, and I think we all should.
BobbyBulls
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#293 » by BobbyBulls » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:46 pm

Congrats on a great game. Now can we redo the 2006 draft. :D
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#294 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:54 pm

Injuries are a part of the game. Nobody knows that more than Portland. Sure, Deng would have changed things one way or another had he remained in the game, but like the others said, would Joe Smith still have had the game he had? Had Chicago won, would anyone mention Deng? As I recall, this is a team sport. There's a reason teams carry 14 players on the roster. Portland managed 5 good wins with Aldridge injured. Where were the excuses there? Oh yeah, there are no excuses when you win. Chicago had every opportunity to win this game. Aldridge was non-existent in the first half. The Blazers wanted this game more. They fought and ended up the victor. It was a great game to watch and I'm certainly glad the Blazers won, but there doesn't need to be any asterik behind this W.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Portland Trail Blazers