ImageImage

OT: Kidd to Dallas Imminent?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#41 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:23 am

Devean George's motives are understandable considering he wants some job security, and I'm sure that more than a few NBA players are behind him. That being said, apparently Devean George forgot that he's one of the worst players in the NBA. If he's holding this deal up, the Mavericks should waste no time removing him from the equation altogether and adding in the necessary pieces.

I don't know about you all, but while I do sympathize with the East in that the conference would appear to get weaker and weaker by the day, I think these blockbuster deals and balance-of-power subplots are good for the NBA as a whole.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#42 » by farzi » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:55 pm

glide22 wrote:i know we've done this one to death, but if there was ever a time to get in on this deal on our own terms, it seems like now is that time. not even sure what i'd propose -- okay, i'll throw out version number 472.

outlaw, jack, lafrenz and green going out.
harris, hassel and bass coming back.

nj: kidd and malik allen out, lafrenz, outlaw, stack, diop and green in.
dallas: harris, hassel, stack, diop and bass out, kidd, jack and allen coming back. maybe have some picks change hands.

08-09:
harris, blake, sergio
roy, rudy, hassel
martell, james jones
aldridge, frye, bass
oden, przybilla
plus pick

(we're not doing anything, are we?)

For the umpteenth time, its not worth giving up outlaw for Harris.
waverider
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#43 » by waverider » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:13 pm

farzi wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

For the umpteenth time, its not worth giving up outlaw for Harris.

For the umpteenth time IMO Outlaw for harris is a very smart move.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#44 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:19 pm

Spykes wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't know the specifics either, that's just what Chris Boussard said on Sportscenter. I could look it up, but I really don't feel like it right now.

I thought about it afterwards and realized that adding Van Horn to the deal would mean that dallas would still have george's salary. They are already over the luxury tax threshold so Van Horn's would simply increase the tax. It would bump Cuban's 15 million tax (after trade with george included) up to about 17 million with van horn instead of george.

It still seems like small potatoes considering the over-all parameters of the trade
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#45 » by Spykes » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:28 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:Devean George's motives are understandable considering he wants some job security, and I'm sure that more than a few NBA players are behind him. That being said, apparently Devean George forgot that he's one of the worst players in the NBA. If he's holding this deal up, the Mavericks should waste no time removing him from the equation altogether and adding in the necessary pieces.

In that Sportscenter piece I was referencing earlier, Chris Bousarrd said that the "Nets official" he talked to said that they don't believe the Mavs can get the deal done without George in it. Thats when they got into the part about adding KVH and why Cuban doesn't want to/won't do it.
Blazer4life
Senior

Post#46 » by Blazer4life » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:57 pm

Wihle I don't think that it is a good idea for the Blazers ot trade Outalw, especially with Jack and Frye, for Harris for numerous reasons already discusse,d which I would be willing to articulate if necesary. It think Portland does have potential to move in on this deal.

I think a trade of Jack, Frye and a future first might be acceptable.

With the George block the Jason Kidd situation has reached the point where the Nets can't afford not to move him. As a result, they might re-evaluate a package where they would be getting additional future flexibility, along with some nice young pieces. NJ already has a good young PG in Williams, and pairing him with Jack would give them a solid rotation at the 1. Additionally, Frye would look very good next to Kristic and paricularily Williams. Having three future firsts coming in would be a lot, especially if they are going to move carter and get more draft picks. This deal would give the Nets an incredible amount of Flexibility moving forward, while also keeping their cap number less, due to the fact they woulnd't have to pay Harris.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#47 » by Mr Odd » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:45 pm

Nets want Georges contract in the deal.

I think the ball is totally in the Nets corner.
They can work a deal without George its
just the matter if they want to or not.. .
My guess is that they will.. .Also a 3rd
team is a possibility still aswell if the
Nets really want a ending contract.
But if thats the case they better
get crackin' and hurry!!!!!!!!
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
tucson
Ballboy

Post#48 » by tucson » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:43 am

Deavan George to Mark Cuban:

"Put down crack pipe, Man!"
"No way you're trading Devin Harris for Jason "Freaking" Kidd"
"No way you're screwing me out my Bird rights"
"I am doing you a favor, we're a better team with Harris, Stackhouse, Diop and me than with Jason Kidd"
"Just what were you thinking!"
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#49 » by mojomarc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:46 am

waverider wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

For the umpteenth time IMO Outlaw for harris is a very smart move.

I don't even like Harris all that much, but I would give up Outlaw for him in a nanosecond. Outlaw is an extremely limited player one-dimensional player who forces up very hard shots when there are better options available, but has the annoying tendency of making just enough of them that it encourages him to try even harder degree of difficulty shots. Harris isn't the shoe-in all-star that people make him out to be on this board, but he is an effective player on both ends of the court that seems to have a high basketball IQ while being an effective defender as well.

I like Outlaw and would hate to see him go, but if Dallas is stupid enough to offer us Harris for him I'd wish him luck and hope the door didn't hit his behind on the way out.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#50 » by Milkdud » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:36 am

If anyone has seen the Outlaw promo with his game winning shot (vs Grizz?) and his explanation. :rofl: Outlaw is a great player to have but if we get a shot at Harris I would take it.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Spykes » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:30 am

It took me a while to warm to the idea of moving Outlaw for Harris, but I too would do it if the chance arose.

I still wouldn't have done the rumored trade however. While I don't mind moving Outlaw for Harris, I'd have a problem trading Outlaw + Jack + Frye + our First Rounder for just Harris.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#52 » by Billy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:30 pm

Now the NBA has notified at least one of the teams and said that Stack can't resign if he's cut. Dallas wants to sub in different players but NJ is hesitant.

Man, talk about setting off an A-bomb on your chemistry. A week ago they were a team that looked like they could use a Jason Kidd, but certainly didn't NEED to trade for him.

Now they have a guard that they no longer are willing to trade due to his comments who said something to the effect of "Devin is okay, but he's no Jason Kidd." Also Cuban has come out and said something to the effect of "I didn't really like the trade anyway." Someone apparently should have kept his old crack dealer.

So either way you cut it you have a locker room disaster on your hands. Keep Devin Harris and there will be that tension between him and Stackhouse and possibly him and the organization. Complete the trade and you have an owner who said in black and white that he wasn't big on the trade to begin with.

Ouch. <3 the Blazers.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Spykes » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:29 pm

What a disaster for the Mavs. It just gets worse and worse with every passing day.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#54 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:32 pm

Billy wrote:Now the NBA has notified at least one of the teams and said that Stack can't resign if he's cut. Dallas wants to sub in different players but NJ is hesitant.

Man, talk about setting off an A-bomb on your chemistry. A week ago they were a team that looked like they could use a Jason Kidd, but certainly didn't NEED to trade for him.

Now they have a guard that they no longer are willing to trade due to his comments who said something to the effect of "Devin is okay, but he's no Jason Kidd." Also Cuban has come out and said something to the effect of "I didn't really like the trade anyway." Someone apparently should have kept his old crack dealer.

So either way you cut it you have a locker room disaster on your hands. Keep Devin Harris and there will be that tension between him and Stackhouse and possibly him and the organization. Complete the trade and you have an owner who said in black and white that he wasn't big on the trade to begin with.

Ouch. <3 the Blazers.

it is a mess and it certainly is amusing from a distance.

now...if there was only some way that KP and the blazers could profit from it...hmmm.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#55 » by JD45 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:43 pm

What about this deal:

Portland trades:
LaFrentz
Frye
Jack
Webster
Pryzbilla
$3 million
Top 3 protected 1st

Portland recieves:
Harris
Hassell
Dampier
Juwon Howard

Dallas Trades:
Harris
Dampier
Hassell
Juwon Howard
Ager
2 #1s
$3 Million

Dallas Gets:
Kidd
Przbilla

New Jersey Trades:
Kidd

New Jersey Gets:
LaFrentz
Ager
Jack
Webster
Frye
Portland top 3 protected 1st
2 dallas 1st round picks
$6 million

Portland gets Harris without giving up their Outlaw or a core piece. They take on salary, but fill their biggest need. Dampier's last year of his contract is not guaranteed, and he backs up Oden for 2 years.

Dallas gets Kidd without going into the luxury tax.

NJN gets rid of Kidd, gets several young players and picks without taking on any bad contract except LaFrentz, but gets $6 million to offset part of his salary.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#56 » by Dome » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:05 pm

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't even like Harris all that much, but I would give up Outlaw for him in a nanosecond. Outlaw is an extremely limited player one-dimensional player who forces up very hard shots when there are better options available, but has the annoying tendency of making just enough of them that it encourages him to try even harder degree of difficulty shots. Harris isn't the shoe-in all-star that people make him out to be on this board, but he is an effective player on both ends of the court that seems to have a high basketball IQ while being an effective defender as well.

I like Outlaw and would hate to see him go, but if Dallas is stupid enough to offer us Harris for him I'd wish him luck and hope the door didn't hit his behind on the way out.

Amen, I very much agree. :bowdown:

Outlaw is showing he can play this year, but IMO Webster is a much better fit for the team at the SF spot. There was a thread about Webster vs Outlaw on here a short while ago where I mentioned this too. Harris would give the team a solid point guard next to Roy for the next few years, fixing another hole. Would be a great deal IMO, but I don't see it happen unfortunately.
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Dome » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:07 pm

JD45 wrote:What about this deal:

Portland trades:
LaFrentz
Frye
Jack
Webster
Pryzbilla
$3 million
Top 3 protected 1st

Portland recieves:
Harris
Hassell
Dampier
Juwon Howard

Dallas Trades:
Harris
Dampier
Hassell
Juwon Howard
Ager
2 #1s
$3 Million

Dallas Gets:
Kidd
Przbilla

New Jersey Trades:
Kidd

New Jersey Gets:
LaFrentz
Ager
Jack
Webster
Frye
Portland top 3 protected 1st
2 dallas 1st round picks
$6 million

Portland gets Harris without giving up their Outlaw or a core piece. They take on salary, but fill their biggest need. Dampier's last year of his contract is not guaranteed, and he backs up Oden for 2 years.

Dallas gets Kidd without going into the luxury tax.

NJN gets rid of Kidd, gets several young players and picks without taking on any bad contract except LaFrentz, but gets $6 million to offset part of his salary.

I'm sorry but that is a flat out horrible deal for Portland. Have you seen Dampier's contract? If not look it up, definitely doesn't make it easier for the team to extend guys like LMA and Roy a year from now. ;)
borgradr
Pro Prospect

Post#58 » by borgradr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:36 pm

Dome wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm sorry but that is a flat out horrible deal for Portland. Have you seen Dampier's contract? If not look it up, definitely doesn't make it easier for the team to extend guys like LMA and Roy a year from now. ;)

For the umpteenth time, Portland will never have any trouble extending its own free agents as long as Paul Allen is the owner. The Blazers would probably go over $100 million in salary again to keep Roy, Aldridge and Oden together. Sure the trade ruins any plan to have capspace in the near future, but bringing in Harris does that pretty much no matter what.

I think the trade is decent, Dampier's salary is bad but he would serve a need. I would prefer Terry to Damp personally though. He would make an excellent third guard on this team.

Maybe something like this:

Portland: Lafrentz, Outlaw, Jack, Jones and the 2008 1st rounder top 3 protected for Harris and Terry

Dallas: Terry, Harris, Diop, Howard and 2 first round picks for Kidd and Armstrong

New Jersey: Kidd and Armstrong for Lafrentz, Outlaw, Jack, Jones, Diop, Howard and 3 first round picks

Gives New Jersey 3 expirings worth about $6 million plus some nice young prospects and 3 first rounders. In 2009 when Lafrentz comes off their salary total they would have a huge amount of money to go after free agents.
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Dome » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:01 pm

borgradr wrote:For the umpteenth time, Portland will never have any trouble extending its own free agents as long as Paul Allen is the owner.

I realise that, that's why I said it with a wink behind it. ;) Nontheless a very bad trade for Portland IMO.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#60 » by BlackMamba » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:03 pm

i don't get why stackhouse wouldn't be able to play for the mavs again...

Return to Portland Trail Blazers