ImageImage

Rudy at PG?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Dakotah612
Head Coach
And1: 0

Rudy at PG? 

Post#1 » by Dakotah612 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:16 pm

Italian writer Marco Lucato, who covers the European pro leagues, calls Fernandez "simply amazing. A stellar player. ... in some ways, another Manu Ginobili. The only doubt I would have (about his NBA potential) is that he is thin. In all other ways, he appears more ready than Gallinari. On the offensive end, (Fernandez) has more skills than Danilo, and he seeks out contact. He can play point guard or shooting guard without problems. He could easily play in the backcourt with Brandon Roy. He has quickness, but needs some time to learn the tempo of point guard in the NBA."

*Link*

Brandon and Rudy are both capable of playing 1 and the 2 so I really don't see this is a problem - offensively. Defensively could be a concern. However, Rudy's combine numbers are comparable to PG's. I don't think he'd have too much of a problem staying in front of his man.

Rudy Fernandez
Lane agility: 10.48
3/4 court sprint: 3.33

Monta Ellis:
Lane agility: 12.13
3/4 court sprint: 3.31

Raymond Felton
Lane agility: 10.50
3/4 court sprint: 3.60

Jarrett Jack:
Lane agility: 10.87
3/4 court sprint: 3.24

Deron Williams:
Lane agility: 10.83
3/4 court sprint: 3.25
"Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speedbag."
- Bill Simmons
fivefootsix
Junior
And1: 6

Post#2 » by fivefootsix » Fri May 30, 2008 11:33 pm

There is WAY too much emphasis put on postitions in the NBA. I'm so tired of hearing that Michael Beasley is can't play PF at 6'9", or that Ty Lawson or D.J. Augustin are too short to play point, or that Rudy is tall, so he needs to be a 2 or 3. I'll back off that argument a little when it comes to the playoffs. Overall, if Rudy can handle the ball, let play point and solve our pg problems.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#3 » by PDXKnight » Fri May 30, 2008 11:34 pm

Wow, those numbers are impressive. He clearly racks up with some of the best players in the NBA in terms of speed. He might truly be able to play some PG, but I think he'll have to adjust to playing PG before we can consider sending him there full time.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 136

Post#4 » by ebott » Fri May 30, 2008 11:41 pm

I'm calling that BS. From all the games I've seen Rudy in (isn't the internet great?) he doesn't have the ball handling to bring it up the court under pressure. It also doesn't look like he has the defensive chops to guard an NBA point guard.

But it's the Euroleague. Nobody plays defense. There's no pressing or tight perimeter defense. Everybody's just waiting for their chance to get the ball and shoot it.

What I'd like to see (assuming we don't make any trades) is to have a 5 on 5 scrimmage with Rudy and Brandon as the back court of one team and Blake and Jack as the back court of the other team and have them aggressively pressing them the whole time. See how it goes.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
hkphooey
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by hkphooey » Fri May 30, 2008 11:49 pm

If the Lakers can get this far with Derek Fisher than I'm sure we can figure something out with what we got. More reason to draft Russell Westbrook I say.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#6 » by Mr Odd » Fri May 30, 2008 11:51 pm

From the youtube clips & the 6 full games that ive
seen I believe he has good enough ball handling
skills to bring it up even under pressure, but that
doesnt mean he has great ball handling skills.. .

Also he will have trouble on the defensive end
(he isnt horrible tho at it). I agree he doesnt
mind the contact and if hes willing to improve
he should be just fine with the NBA defense.. .
He will need to bulk up too, thats for sure!!

I also agree that labeling players as pg or sg
is kind of out of date. I think Rudy would do
just fine along side of Roy, but he would have
trouble with some of the smaller quicker guards.
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#7 » by Yadadimean » Sat May 31, 2008 12:29 am

I think I would like Rudy better in the 2nd unit as another offensive option to take pressure off of Outlaw. As is right now, the only bench guys who can create offense are Outlaw and Jack. Rudy gives us a legit threat to score off the bench (hopefully).
Signature
sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Post#8 » by sabi » Sat May 31, 2008 12:40 am

He would take smallish PGs and shoot over them all day.
Prodigy73 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Chill out, bro. Things will get better when we face the next 3 games in Nets, Mavs and Rockets, relax, chill.

If we go 0-3 during that Imma chillllllllllllll
BamBam8
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by BamBam8 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:44 am

I think we should get a starting pg other than rudy. I really like rudy coming off the bench and playing either guard spot.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#10 » by Village Idiot » Sat May 31, 2008 9:39 am

hkphooey wrote:If the Lakers can get this far with Derek Fisher than I'm sure we can figure something out with what we got. More reason to draft Russell Westbrook I say.
I'm starting to lean towards staying at 13 and drafting Westbrook and developing him while we have Rudy, Blake and Sergio man the poit until Russell develops.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#11 » by Billy » Sat May 31, 2008 2:51 pm

I think Rudy will be able to handle some point guard duties. I personally felt his ball handling was solid and his play making skills look great. I don't think he should or would be a full time point (I think we need to utilize him off the ball a lot as well), but I think he could fill in there quite well.
hkphooey
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by hkphooey » Sat May 31, 2008 4:59 pm

Yadadimean wrote:I think I would like Rudy better in the 2nd unit as another offensive option to take pressure off of Outlaw. As is right now, the only bench guys who can create offense are Outlaw and Jack. Rudy gives us a legit threat to score off the bench (hopefully).

Would be fun to watch Sergio, Rudy and Outlaw have it on the court together - although the second unit could be Jack/Sergio, Rudy, Outlaw/Jones, Frye and Pryz. Any combination of that lineup can score and rebound with the best of them.
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#13 » by SabasRevenge! » Sat May 31, 2008 5:29 pm

It's worth noting that Rudy was one of the assist leaders in his league last year and they aren't as generous with awarding them as they are here.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers