Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

stuffedmonkey
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Quick on Daron Williams 

Post#61 » by stuffedmonkey » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:25 pm

Jazz, Williams to talk extension
Posted: Sunday June 29, 2008 09:34AM ET

A little past 10 p.m. Monday, Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor can pick up the phone and set in motion the process through which Deron Williams can sign a long-term contract extension to stay in Utah. From July 1 until Oct. 31, the Jazz have an exclusive window to negotiate an extension to Williams' rookie contract. Under league rules, Williams could sign for as long as five years and as much as approximately $90 million. Williams would like to finalize the extension before he leaves for the Olympics on July 26. O'Connor is expected to call Williams' agent, Bob McLaren, late Monday and express an interest in meeting.

http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_9735619

Deron Wiliams is a fantastic point guard and would be probably the best fit in the league for us - but this isn't going to happen
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#62 » by Soulyss » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:29 pm

As much as I like the idea of getting Deron Williams, we should just all accept that there is no way he will sign with us, and even if he DID.. Utah will just match. Utah wouldn't do a sign and trade simply because they would require one of the big three back, and that's not going to happen.

I generally Like Quick, and I think he's a pretty good beat writer...

but he was smoking something on this one. :crazy:
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#63 » by Spykes » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:43 pm

I find it funny how people overreact and call Quick a moron for reporting something he heard. He said that the Blazers have a plan in place to try and make a run at Williams should negotiations go south between him and Utah. Knowing Kevin Pritchard, does anyone seriously doubt that this could be a possibility?

Is it crazy to think the Blazers honestly have a serious shot at him? Absolutely. Is it crazy to think that KP and the Blazers are covering all their bases and have plan in place should something unexpected happen? Not at all.

In that article posted above, I think this was the "loophole" they were talking about.

One other possibility for Williams, should negotiations hit an unexpected snag, is to forgo the extension now and seek a front-loaded proposal elsewhere in the open market next summer — though in that instance the Jazz would retain the right to match any offer he might receive from another franchise.

The Blazers then SPAM on Williams' contract in hopes of frontloading it enough to where it forces the Jazz to let him go. The one problem in that plan of course is that there might not be a limit to how high the Jazz are willing to go to keep Williams.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#64 » by BlackMamba » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Voodoo wrote:
BlackMamba wrote:i don't get the whole small market thing...

Big time stars like Kobe, Shaq, LeBron, Dwayne Wade etc will always want to go to a bigger city, one that has a higher population of people in it. There are two reasons for this, one endorsements and the other is ego. The endorsement part just means the player can earn more money just by being in commercials promoting whatever product. This is a big part of it, people are just more familiar with the big name stars from the big town teams, take D-Wade for example.

Wade does T-Mobile commercials here in the States and I am sure he makes millions of dollars being in these commercials. If he didn't play for Miami which is a very very large town he probably wouldn't have had as much of a chance being selected to be in their commercials. But T-Mobile knows he gets lots and lots of national exposure being on the Heat so they selected him, especially at the time he was one of the bigger stars in a bigger town. The other is simply just ego and attention, the bigger the city your in the more people that will be very familiar with their name. They kind of go hand in hand really.

That does not just go for the people living in that town, but historically the bigger town teams players are always known nationally and in some case internationally. Just think of all your friends that aren't into the NBA and try and think of all the players they would know, they would list off Kobe, Shaq, LeBron, Jordan, Dwayne Wade, and so on. You will notice that all these players play (or played in MJ's case) for very very large cities. The only somewhat exception is LeBron in Cleavland as that is not a majorly huge city like L.A. or NYC, but he is just so good and has always had so much hype around him that everyone at least in the US knows who the guy is. Anyway hope this helps 8-).

thanks!
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#65 » by BigOrangeBalls » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:23 pm

Butter wrote:
mojomarc wrote:
fivas14 wrote:
Mormons aren't bartenders.

Not true--I've asked each bartender that I've had in SLC (and I've been traveling down there for business for more than a decade, and almost all of them were Mormons. None of them drank, though, so they were true to their religion that way.

Mojo, what the heck man. I just moved to Cali from Utah. I probably know a bunch of those Mormon bartenders. Dude, you gotta PM about this.

Is it true that you need a special "drinking license" to purchase alcohol in a bar, or is that a rumor spread to keep Californians from moving to Utah?

Utah is a beautiful state, but I would get tired of it being so dry all of the time. Plus I hate the Jazz. (But I like jazz music)..
Quote taken completely out of context designed to make someone look stupid.

-Some Poor Sucker
Pass_The_Sticks
Sophomore

Post#66 » by Pass_The_Sticks » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:24 pm

Can someone please fix the title of the thread? His name is Deron not Daron.
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#67 » by TBpup » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:33 pm

I find it funny how people overreact and call Quick a moron for reporting something he heard. He said that the Blazers have a plan in place to try and make a run at Williams should negotiations go south between him and Utah. Knowing Kevin Pritchard, does anyone seriously doubt that this could be a possibility?

Is it crazy to think the Blazers honestly have a serious shot at him? Absolutely. Is it crazy to think that KP and the Blazers are covering all their bases and have plan in place should something unexpected happen? Not at all.

Spykes...perfectly put.

:starwars
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#68 » by mojomarc » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:43 pm

Butter wrote:Mojo, what the heck man. I just moved to Cali from Utah. I probably know a bunch of those Mormon bartenders. Dude, you gotta PM about this.

Is it really that big of a deal? I just always thought it was funny when I'd order a Manhattan and they'd ask me how to make it. It kind of reminded me of the Flaming Moe's episode of the Simpsons where Moe looks at his bartending guide and says "Gin and...tonic? Do they mix?" :D
SinceClyde
Pro Prospect
And1: 5

Post#69 » by SinceClyde » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:25 pm

That big market-small market stuff is BS. Not that it doesn't have some truth, but it's fans that are suckling at the teet of guys like steven a smith who keep repeating this junk.

First off, Deron is not Kobe, Shaq, Wade, or Lebron. I'd say Paul isn't either, from a marketing standpoint. If we were talking about those guys, I might agree.

The moment portland starts winning, small market excuses go out the window. See San Antonio. Not everyone wants to be in the big city.

In terms of marketing, Portland is 23 out of the top 25 markets. To give an idea, NY is 1, LA 2, Indianapolis is 25, Miami is 17. Portland has about 1% of the total us population (at about 1,100,000) while NY has 6.6% of the us population at 7.3 million. Add in Nike, Adidas, an arena with less than 500 season tickets left...I bet my money that IF (a big if) Utah pissed off Deron, he'd consider Portland just as much or more than NY or LA.

Either way, it's a ridiculous topic to even bring up. Different players have different priorities. Young players want to get paid, older (already paid) players want to win. Some players want to be the main star in a big city, some players want to be part of a good team wherever it is.

Seriously, do half of you guys even know where Portland is?
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#70 » by SabasRevenge! » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Spykes wrote:The Blazers then SPAM on Williams' contract in hopes of frontloading it enough to where it forces the Jazz to let him go. The one problem in that plan of course is that there might not be a limit to how high the Jazz are willing to go to keep Williams.

I'm curious how this would work. It seems like front-loaded contracts would have the same first year salary limits. IMO Deron is a max salary player, nothing less. If he does become a RFA next year we should just offer him the most we can - which is still less that Utah can offer.

If the Jazz were willing to break the bank for Kirilenko, they'd do it for Deron. The only way Deron leaves is if he really hates it in SLC and demands a trade. No way the Jazz let him walk for nothing (unless he takes a QO and walks away from millions).

The best we could hope for would be Boozer opting out - his PO is still a couple mil short of the first year of a max scale contract. Maybe Deron waits to see what Boozer does. The Jazz gave Deron a lot of respect when they moved up to take him before Paul and I doubt he has forgotten that.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 124

Post#71 » by Butter » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:41 pm

mojomarc wrote:
Butter wrote:Mojo, what the heck man. I just moved to Cali from Utah. I probably know a bunch of those Mormon bartenders. Dude, you gotta PM about this.

Is it really that big of a deal? I just always thought it was funny when I'd order a Manhattan and they'd ask me how to make it. It kind of reminded me of the Flaming Moe's episode of the Simpsons where Moe looks at his bartending guide and says "Gin and...tonic? Do they mix?" :D

Nah, I don't really care about the bartender thing. I just wanted to compare notes about Utah in general. Its no big deal though, whatever.
JStockLivesOn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by JStockLivesOn » Mon Jul 7, 2008 10:33 am

ForeignBlazer wrote:I can understand Deron becoming unhappy when players like Okur and AK47 disappear in big games and Boozer isn't the most loyal of players.

But for any hope to see Deron in a Blazer jersey next summer, he would have to tell the Jazz front office that he doesn't want to resign and stay, he wants to join a team that can contend and pay him the max money and that would only happen in a sign and trade because the Jazz won't accept losing him for nothing and when it comes to a sign and trade, don't expect the Jazz not to demand the best player on the other team as part of the deal.

When all is said and done, I expect Deron to stay in Utah because the CBA gives all the power to the team in this situation and there isn't anything a player can do, weather that is fair or not is upto one's own opinion.

I'm sorry, I know I should just let this thread die and not start ****, but COME ON...

"He wants to join a team that can contend? " He's already on one. Your GM has put together a very promising team, but talk about putting the cart before the horse...
"Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested, we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter."
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#73 » by BigOrangeBalls » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:45 pm

JStockLivesOn wrote:I'm sorry, I know I should just let this thread die and not start ****, but COME ON...

"He wants to join a team that can contend? " He's already on one. Your GM has put together a very promising team, but talk about putting the cart before the horse...

Bored? :pityfool:
Quote taken completely out of context designed to make someone look stupid.

-Some Poor Sucker
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#74 » by mojomarc » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:29 pm

Jstock--I think your first impulse was probably the correct one. There really isn't much more point to discussing this until such time as it appears DWill's negotiations are indeed going downhill.
BiggieSmalls
Senior

Post#75 » by BiggieSmalls » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:36 pm

It would be awesome to get him, but to me bayless seems like the type of person who if we were to get Williams than bayless' starting spot is gone and thats when he demands a trade because he thinks his talent isnt being used properly. but that doesnt matter to me because Deron>Bayless, and were most likely not getting williams either.
DreMiller/Faried>>>>>>>Felton/Smith

Nicolas Batuuuuuuuuuuum!

R.I.P Sean Chancellor
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Re: Quick on Deron Williams 

Post#76 » by Mr Odd » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:17 pm

Whats up with Jazz fans cussin' everytime they post here lately?? lol
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Re: Quick on Deron Williams 

Post#77 » by Zyme » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:06 pm

Mr Odd wrote:Whats up with Jazz fans cussin' everytime they post here lately?? lol

I think we have his a nerve.

POR fan: I think may be able to get a new toy from that team up the block

UTAH fan: no, not for you, my toy. Go find your own.

POR: Ok but but I really think he would play well with our other toys

UTAH: F U, my toy.

POR: Sigh...
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#78 » by Sinobas » Mon Jul 7, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm going to find out where those cussing Mormons live and report them to their local bishop.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#79 » by Mr Odd » Mon Jul 7, 2008 8:52 pm

Sinobas wrote:I'm going to find out where those cussing Mormons live and report them to their local bishop.

lol
C'mon now, theyre not all Mormons.. .
Thats like saying it rains all the time in Oregon.
But then again Ive never been to Utah, so.. .
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#80 » by Zyme » Mon Jul 7, 2008 9:13 pm

Mr Odd wrote:
Sinobas wrote:I'm going to find out where those cussing Mormons live and report them to their local bishop.

lol
C'mon now, theyre not all Mormons.. .
Thats like saying it rains all the time in Oregon.
But then again Ive never been to Utah, so.. .

I dare you to walk through temple square, avoid trying to get converted then tell me otherwise!
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers