ImageImage

Quick on Daron Williams

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Re: Quick on Daron Williams 

Post#81 » by GOBlazers » Mon Jul 7, 2008 9:40 pm

In terms of marketing, Portland is 23 out of the top 25 markets. To give an idea, NY is 1, LA 2, Indianapolis is 25, Miami is 17. Portland has about 1% of the total us population (at about 1,100,000) while NY has 6.6% of the us population at 7.3 million. Add in Nike, Adidas, an arena with less than 500 season tickets left...I bet my money that IF (a big if) Utah pissed off Deron, he'd consider Portland just as much or more than NY or LA.

Did you just make these numbers up? Do you know how many people live in the US, Portland, or New York? Portland is a small fraction of a percent of the total US population. Deron's decision to play for a small market or not will be determined by his own priorities (endorsement money, or championships)

100 * 1.1 mill = 110 mill
15.15 * 7.3 mill = 110 mill

US is about 300 mill by the way
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#82 » by DeezXXnutZ » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:13 pm

Here is a list of the biggest cities in America...Portland is #23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... itan_areas
Chuck Norris
Sophomore

Post#83 » by Chuck Norris » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:32 pm

Zyme wrote:
Mr Odd wrote:
Sinobas wrote:I'm going to find out where those cussing Mormons live and report them to their local bishop.

lol
C'mon now, theyre not all Mormons.. .
Thats like saying it rains all the time in Oregon.
But then again Ive never been to Utah, so.. .

I dare you to walk through temple square, avoid trying to get converted then tell me otherwise!

HaHa that's hilarious.

Ok, I am probably going to kill my ability to post on here anymore because I know how people hate Mormons. I am an LDS member. The thing that I find funny is that it's Temple Square, (you know like if you were to go to the Vatican you would probably find lots of Catholics.) of course you will find Mormons there! :lol:

That fact of the matter is that SLC is probably less than 50% Mormon. The cussing comes into play when:

1. You get the Mormon that wants to be a little rebellious without mommy getting too mad.*
or
2. The person that isn't Mormon but is stuck living in Utah so he wants to show everyone that just because he lives in Utah that he isn't a Mormon, so he goes to an extreme.

* I will be the first to say that there are some weird Mormons out there but there are perfectly normal ones too. I personally try not to swear too much because I know it is silly, especially on a grownup message board. But, I just can't seem to go through a single game of Halo without dropping some bombs. Well, I guess the flames can start now. :-?
Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris kills people.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#84 » by Mr Odd » Tue Jul 8, 2008 12:56 am

I was just saying the Jazz fans seem to come on the board
here & cuss (IE: ****). It really had nothing to do with Mormons.
My grandpa is Mormon, and no he doesnt live in Utah. hehe
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
Chuck Norris
Sophomore

Post#85 » by Chuck Norris » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:08 am

Ya, I know. And I agree that Jazz fans are sometimes annoying, especially the ones that think they have to swear on another teams board just to make people think they are hardcore or something.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#86 » by Mr Odd » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:33 am

Chuck Norris wrote:Ya, I know. And I agree that Jazz fans are sometimes annoying, especially the ones that think they have to swear on another teams board just to make people think they are hardcore or something.

You know whos hardcore??
Chuck "frickin'" Norris , in the Blazer hat!!
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
Chuck Norris
Sophomore

Post#87 » by Chuck Norris » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:02 am

Mr Odd wrote:
You know whos hardcore??
Chuck "frickin'" Norris , in the Blazer hat!!

**** Ya! ...err, I mean Yes. :lol:
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#88 » by carrottop12 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 6:55 am

Not trying to start a fight here.

But you have about as much chance of signing Deron this off season as the Jazz do of signing Roy this off season.

Meaning 0%. The Jazz are going to offer him as much as possible, and the Jazz are closer to winning a ring then the Blazers are which is what Deron wants.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#89 » by Effigy » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:00 am

JStockLivesOn wrote:
ForeignBlazer wrote:
"He wants to join a team that can contend? " He's already on one. Your GM has put together a very promising team, but talk about putting the cart before the horse...

Eh, I don't know about that. The Jazz are good, but I don't think anyone, even their fans think they're serious contenders right now. They don't have the big men to win a title. Could they sometime down the road? Sure, if they draft well, get lucky with some free agents, and hey the Knicks winning the lottery in 2 years couldn't hurt. But right now are they contenders? No, not really. And if Boozer leaves next year as a free agent are they contenders? For the 8th seed, possibly. You think Deron wants to sign a long term extension then see Boozer do what Boozer does and abandon his team for more money?
carrottop12
RealGM

Post#90 » by carrottop12 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:09 am

Bonzi wrote:
JStockLivesOn wrote:
ForeignBlazer wrote:
"He wants to join a team that can contend? " He's already on one. Your GM has put together a very promising team, but talk about putting the cart before the horse...

Eh, I don't know about that. The Jazz are good, but I don't think anyone, even their fans think they're serious contenders right now. They don't have the big men to win a title. Could they sometime down the road? Sure, if they draft well, get lucky with some free agents, and hey the Knicks winning the lottery in 2 years couldn't hurt. But right now are they contenders? No, not really. And if Boozer leaves next year as a free agent are they contenders? For the 8th seed, possibly. You think Deron wants to sign a long term extension then see Boozer do what Boozer does and abandon his team for more money?

The Jazz are easily contenders, especially considering they were what, 4 or 5 games away from getting HCA in the West last year. Then see losses to Atlanta, Charlotte, Indiana, Miami, and you guys at home...

They should be a real contender next year.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,842

Post#91 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:15 am

I would imagine they come in here and cuss because of the multiple threads we've had about this (each one more annoying than the last) over the last several months. It is a relatively slim chance (we're talking like .01% here) and there is no reason there should have been multiple threads about it. With some of the posters we have here you know they'd be going to Utah's board and cussing if they had several threads dedicated to a ridiculous idea like "Next Summer: Brandon Roy?" "Next Summer: LaMarcus Aldridge?"
GOBlazers
Sixth Man

Post#92 » by GOBlazers » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:24 am

I doubt Deron signs an extension this summer. Why would be when he could always wait til next summer. I doubt he fears a career ending injury. I expect him to do what others are saying, and see what Boozer does, and evaluate his situation then. I'm sure his agent is pushing him hard to do it now though
carrottop12
RealGM

Post#93 » by carrottop12 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:06 am

GOBlazers wrote:I doubt Deron signs an extension this summer. Why would be when he could always wait til next summer. I doubt he fears a career ending injury. I expect him to do what others are saying, and see what Boozer does, and evaluate his situation then. I'm sure his agent is pushing him hard to do it now though

http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_9785241

:rofl:
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#94 » by mojomarc » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:14 am

GOBlazers wrote:I doubt Deron signs an extension this summer. Why would be when he could always wait til next summer.

He can't wait until next summer to sign an extension. The rule is that you can only sign an extension between the end of the July moratorium and 10/31 of the year following your third year in the league if you're on a rookie scale contract. If DWill doesn't sign now, he becomes an RFA next, or he plays the following season for the QO and becomes a UFA. Those are the options. Signing an extension after 10/31 isn't.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man

Post#95 » by GOBlazers » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:21 am

He must really love SLC if he is going to the meeting himself (he'll probably sign). The article didn't say how they know he's attending a negotiation though. Could be a bunch of crap
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,842

Post#96 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:29 am

Wow the article said it in the fourth paragraph.

McClaren said Williams would attend the meeting. "I think that it's very important," McClaren said. "This is one of the most important decisions of his career, and I think he should be a party to some, if not all, of the discussions."
fivas14
Banned User

Post#97 » by fivas14 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:39 am

I swear everywhere.

I don't do it to be "hardcore", "cool", etc...just a bad habbit.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man

Post#98 » by GOBlazers » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:47 am

My mistake. Still hoping he doesn't sign, but it looks like he will. Hard to pass up 90 million
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#99 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jul 8, 2008 10:51 am

I agree with the Jazz dude who said we have 0% chance of landing Williams, but I'll disagree about the championship contender part. The Blazers took 3 games last year and they just might take another 3 games this season. The Jazz will do well, but I just don't see them going very deep in the playoffs. They're still missing something.
jazzarenumber1
Ballboy

Post#100 » by jazzarenumber1 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:57 pm

You guys have a 0% percent chance in getting DERON (not Daron)! The only reason why he hasn't signed yet is because he has been on vacation with his family, he just got back so now they are scheduling meetings! Also people on this board are saying he doesn't like Utah then why does he live here year round??? The Jazz are bigger contendors then Portland so why would he leave a stronger team to go to a weaker non proven team???????

Return to Portland Trail Blazers