ImageImage

The Baron is now a Clipper

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

The Baron is now a Clipper 

Post#1 » by Zyme » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:46 am

Golden State's poster boy has just reached a verbal agreement with the LA Clippers worth around 5-years, fifty million dollars.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cli ... 1230.story
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Re: The Baron is now a Clipper 

Post#2 » by Spykes » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:53 am

Davis just straight up left the Warriors high and dry. Just 48 hours ago, Baron opting out was considered 'unlikely'. Now he's opted out and has left them with nothing.

Unless the Warriors make a big splash this summer, I expect they'll be much worse next season and back in the lottery. Ellis is a great player, but I think the loss of Davis will be pretty huge for them.
EGame
Head Coach
And1: 264

Post#3 » by EGame » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:55 am

Yikes, I am a little more scared of the Clippers now. If they can resign Maggete and/or Brand then they could eaisly be in the playoffs possibly taking our spot? However, I am less afraid of the Warrios, but with Ellis, Jackson, Harrington, etc they should still be good.
vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Post#4 » by vtime » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:55 am

or they have cap room to add another piece and Azubuike is probably ready to take the next step and step in for Davis. Jackson and Ellis both averaged 20ppg last season.
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#5 » by Zyme » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:55 am

I was listening to a radio interview (I think it was rome or chad Ford) yesterday and he said that he was going to return to the warriors. Good going the Davis and keeping you word.
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#6 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:56 am

Just shows you that not everyone is interested in winning a championship!
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Spykes » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:57 am

EGame wrote:Yikes, I am a little more scared of the Clippers now. If they can resign Maggete and/or Brand then they could eaisly be in the playoffs possibly taking our spot? However, I am less afraid of the Warrios, but with Ellis, Jackson, Harrington, etc they should still be good.

ESPN is reporting that the Clippers have to let Maggette walk if they want to keep Brand after signing Davis. With Thornton on the Clippers, Maggette is pretty expendable.
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#8 » by farzi » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:02 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Just shows you that not everyone is interested in winning a championship!

lolwut?

He took less money to go play with Brand
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#9 » by Sinobas » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:13 am

And the Clippers are still going to suck...... 8-)
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#10 » by ClipperDomination » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:24 am

Spykes wrote:
EGame wrote:Yikes, I am a little more scared of the Clippers now. If they can resign Maggete and/or Brand then they could eaisly be in the playoffs possibly taking our spot? However, I am less afraid of the Warrios, but with Ellis, Jackson, Harrington, etc they should still be good.

ESPN is reporting that the Clippers have to let Maggette walk if they want to keep Brand after signing Davis. With Thornton on the Clippers, Maggette is pretty expendable.

Exactly, and most Clipper fans think Thornton is better for our system than Maggette anyways. Brand and BD are close friends, so it seems almost a lock for Brand re-signing with a long term deal, probably slightly under the yearly salary he was due to make next season (16 mil).
a_sensei
Analyst
And1: 658

Post#11 » by a_sensei » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:28 am

Sinobas wrote:And the Clippers are still going to suck...... 8-)

If Brand and Kaman are healthy, that's a great big man combo. With Baron at the helm, and Thornton, Cat, and Eric Gordon at the wings the team has more potential than the Warriors.
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#12 » by Jsun947 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:30 am

Is it just me or do the Warriors look really, really bad now?

They have Ellis whos a good player.
They have Biedreisieseisisisesiss who is a decent big man but really doesn't have any sets of skill to make you think hes going to improve.
They have a bunch of over paid chuckers with no concept of a team game.
They have a bunch of busted players full of "potential" that realistically dont have potential.
Their depth is not that good.

I expect them to drop off considerably this year.

On the other hand the Clippers look pretty good with a line-up of Davis/Gordon/Thornton/Brand/Kaman... They are a legit playoff threat now...
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#13 » by BlackMamba » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:35 am

this is a surprise... the "big" movements are starting to happen, i wonder if brand would resign with the clippers or if he's going to look for "better" waters.
Yangsing
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#14 » by Yangsing » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:38 am

a_sensei wrote:

If Brand and Kaman are healthy, that's a great big man combo. With Baron at the helm, and Thornton, Cat, and Eric Gordon at the wings the team has more potential than the Warriors.

More potential than the Warriors is not saying much lol.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#15 » by NBAMAN2006 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:40 am

Anyone else think Mags might have to settle for the MLE?

Would you go after him?
dogg003
Ballboy

Post#16 » by dogg003 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:45 am

We will win our division...no need to worry about anybody else...
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#17 » by Ripcity4life » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:47 am

And to think Big Suke err Big Suck thought Baron would look good in a Blazers uniform. Also its sounds like he took less money then Warriors could have given him if the money amount is right (5yrs65m). I realize Baron has to do whats best for him and his family but i think he kind of screwed the warriors.

I just wonder if this could have a rippling effect of now the Warriors trying even harder to convince Gilbert to go back on HIS word to the Wiz and sign with Warriors. The next couple weeks are gonna be interesting.

Prediction OT -- KP has 1 more trick up his sleeve for this summer and i think it has to do with a SF not named Outlaw or Webster ....... cough cough ..... - Maggette , Deng , Iggy or Josh Smith

Next summer is just a smokescreen ... its a gut feeling i have and my gut feelings in all seriousness are pretty accurate.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Spykes » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:48 am

Jsun947 wrote:Is it just me or do the Warriors look really, really bad now?

They have Ellis whos a good player.
They have Biedreisieseisisisesiss who is a decent big man but really doesn't have any sets of skill to make you think hes going to improve.
They have a bunch of over paid chuckers with no concept of a team game.
They have a bunch of busted players full of "potential" that realistically dont have potential.
Their depth is not that good.

I expect them to drop off considerably this year.

On the other hand the Clippers look pretty good with a line-up of Davis/Gordon/Thornton/Brand/Kaman... They are a legit playoff threat now...

I agree. Unless they bring in a big name playmaker, I expect they'll win around 35-40 games next season. Warrior fans think Ellis can step right into Baron's shoes at PG and make a seamless transition. I really don't buy that. He'll score a ton, but I think he's gonna really struggle running the team as a playmaker.

But ya, unfortunately, the West didn't get any easier. While one team got worse, another team got substantially better (assuming they can keep Brand). So it's a wash as far as competition for the Blazers go.
Twith
Senior

Post#19 » by Twith » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:04 am

Baron was the ringleader that kept that W's circus together. Now it's gonna be Monta screaming and waving his arms as the elephants are goring the acrobats and flame swallowers are running around on fire and clowns are murdering people in the stands. That's gonna be a scary situation.

The Clips starting 1-3 next year will probably be Baron, Eric Gordon and Al Thornton. Most athletic 1-3 in league history?
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#20 » by JD45 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:10 am

a_sensei wrote:

Health is the big issue for Baron. But I admire his decision to take less and try to win a ring.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat

Return to Portland Trail Blazers