ImageImage

We should welcome the Seattle fans

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

yearsago
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Re: We should welcome the Seattle fans 

Post#41 » by yearsago » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:49 pm

wjun15 wrote:heck no. i live in seattle, and these fans hate on portland all the time. so sick of it. damn juust for this reason i wanted seattle to stay..

why dont they keep rooting for oklahoma if they love their team so much

Dude, its called a rivalry for a reason. If you can't understand why most of us will not follow the team to OKC, then there is nothing else to say.
pdxblazers92087
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#42 » by pdxblazers92087 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:59 pm

i dont get why you wont still be a fan. Since when do you need to live in the same state as your team in order to be a fan? I mean there are TON of NBA fans in Europe who havent been to a game in their life..... I love the blazers if they moved i'd stille be a die hard fan.
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#43 » by yearsago » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:06 pm

pdxblazers92087 wrote:i dont get why you wont still be a fan. Since when do you need to live in the same state as your team in order to be a fan? I mean there are TON of NBA fans in Europe who havent been to a game in their life..... I love the blazers if they moved i'd stille be a die hard fan.

Well, I don't think NBA fans in europe have ever had their heart ripped out by the NBA and getting its team stolen.

I mean if you honestly can't see the reason why people might distrust the NBA and david stern, what more can I say?
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#44 » by mojomarc » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:08 pm

pdxblazers92087 wrote:i dont get why you wont still be a fan. Since when do you need to live in the same state as your team in order to be a fan? I mean there are TON of NBA fans in Europe who havent been to a game in their life..... I love the blazers if they moved i'd stille be a die hard fan.

I think a large number of fans are die-hard fans specifically because they grew up with the team in their community. Leaving the community, particularly under somewhat questionable circumstances, can leave a pretty bad taste in peoples' mounths. It's sort of like having a spouse cheat on you--you're hurt, and the relationship changes, and in the case of Seattle because most of the long-term members of the team weren't there last season there weren't long-term attachments to the players themselves that could help the relationship survive the move. So for most of the Seattle fans, there really isn't much of an incentive to keep being a fan.
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#45 » by TBpup » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:21 pm

Not really sure about that, But I bet you that they are going to carry Blazer games on the local FSN network. I mean what else are they going to have here? Vancouver Hockey?

Blazer TV and radio will be expanding into Washington and Idaho. I'm not sure how far but that is already being discussed. I know it won't be nearly the same for Sonics fans but hope you can at least root for some of your local connections.

:starwars
@TBpup22
BlazerFanDan
Senior

Post#46 » by BlazerFanDan » Thu Jul 3, 2008 9:35 pm

TBpup wrote:
Not really sure about that, But I bet you that they are going to carry Blazer games on the local FSN network. I mean what else are they going to have here? Vancouver Hockey?

Blazer TV and radio will be expanding into Washington and Idaho. I'm not sure how far but that is already being discussed. I know it won't be nearly the same for Sonics fans but hope you can at least root for some of your local connections.

:starwars

Comcast and the satellites should really get a deal done now... Right? Then all of the Northwest will be able to watch the Blazers.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,850

Post#47 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 12:23 am

87BlazerMan wrote:Of course Seattle fans are welcome here. I think it would be awesome to see a Portland/OKC game in Seattle, but there is no reason for OKC's management to do that. They aren't going to win back Seattle, that bridge was burned a few months ago. No reason to send their team across the country to get booed for a few hours.

However they are going to have to be in Portland twice, and I really hope that Seattle fans who care show up by the 1000's to boo the crap out of the organization who robbed them. If I had season tickets, I'd be sending those two game North to a buddy who I know would love the chance to give that team a piece of his mind. Even Portland fans who care about the NW should be supporting the city of Seattle at that game. Boo until you can't boo anymore, from the introductions to the final whistle.

I think that's perhaps the best choice for I can imagine tickets for the first Portland/OKC
game in the Rose Garden are going to be scarce and the scalpers are going to make few bucks
off of the Seattle fans. Amtrak should set up some extra trains in case a couple of thousand
Seattle fans wish to travel to see their players but it's certain any NBA led by David Stern
will not bend over backward to make amends with the Seattle fans and if any exhibition or
even regular season games are played in Seattle, it will be with sympathetic owners like
Paul Allen for playing an exhibition game in Seattle makes as much sense as playing in
Boise.

I'm a bit confused as to the rationale of booing the players for OKC who are blameless.
Why not cheer these players?
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by BigOrangeBalls » Fri Jul 4, 2008 1:35 am

sonics4lyfe wrote:i wish i could change my name to blazersforlyfe

but my team is gone :waaa: :waaa: :waaa:

might as well support the 2012 nba champs right?

can i come aboard?

Why hasn't his handle been changed? He's asked about three times...

The actual change deserves a stickie thread! :clap:
Quote taken completely out of context designed to make someone look stupid.

-Some Poor Sucker
Kenny0873
Freshman

Post#49 » by Kenny0873 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 6:20 am

It's been a tough couple of years for us here in Seattle and some of us are realistic enough to have known that we'd have to decide whether or not to follow another team (or the NBA altogether). I'm a basketball junkie, so like some of the fans from here, it's going to be hard for me to ignore the NBA. I'd be happy to be a part of the Blazer fan-base. You guys are a class-act at a time when a lot of fans around the country are blaming us for what has happened here. Regardless of whether we have a team here again, I'll never forget that. I hope the Blazers beat OKC to smithereens every single time they meet up. It's tough, but I'm in. Go Blazers!
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#50 » by farzi » Fri Jul 4, 2008 12:43 pm

KingDave wrote:
I hope FSN NW starts broadcasting Blazer games in Seattle, they have to.

ATM, the Blazers have an exclusive deal with Comcast, so its only shown on the local channel 37 for Comcast subscribers only.

Its alienated people in their home state, so it may be a while before they get shown on anything up there
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#51 » by BballFanAddict » Fri Jul 4, 2008 7:26 pm

i could not agree more about being sympathetic to the Sonics fans and welcoming them here with oper arms, should any choose to follow the Blazers.

i am an Oregonian and Blazer fanatic, but I actually felt my heart pull with the news of the Sonics. I read every single fan post on the Seattle Times website and listened in on the local Seattle sports radio. One poster or caller, i cannot remember if it was on the radio or on the site, just about had me to tears when he talked about him and his dad both tearing up at the news. That right there tells it all.

I will sorely miss the Sonics being so close to Portland. And, although I have nothing against any of the current Sonic's players nor verses the OKC people, that team will forever be my most hated. I guess so long as Bennet is the owner.

Welcome aboard any Sonics fans.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#52 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jul 5, 2008 1:38 pm

I hear that a lot, but i can't understand it.
Here in Europe teams just do not move(different system) and as i've followed everything that happened, since the sale to Bennett, i just can't support a team that's owned by a guy which flat out lied to everyone and got his wish granted because his best buddy is the commissioner of this league.

As far as the Blazers playing games in Seattle goes, i doubt that's a possibility. I'm pretty sure that Paul Allen doesn't wants to be in the way of Steve Ballmer's group and their attempts to bring another franchise to Seattle. Listening to what Stern had to say in his statement(which states that a renovated KeyArena is fine with the league, even if it wasn't for the current team) and him mentioning Ballmer and his group, i believe that there'll be another team in Seattle within those next 5 years.

BTW: As far as supporting another team goes. I really like the Blazers and what they've build, but it won't ever be my team. To me, it's probably going to be the Clippers, who'll get my support.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by mojomarc » Sat Jul 5, 2008 3:19 pm

Det the Threat wrote:BTW: As far as supporting another team goes. I really like the Blazers and what they've build, but it won't ever be my team. To me, it's probably going to be the Clippers, who'll get my support.

You're going from a team that ripped your heart out to a team with an owner with no heart? You must be a bit of a glutton for punishment, Det ;)
Kenny0873
Freshman

Post#54 » by Kenny0873 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 4:58 pm

mojomarc wrote:
Det the Threat wrote:BTW: As far as supporting another team goes. I really like the Blazers and what they've build, but it won't ever be my team. To me, it's probably going to be the Clippers, who'll get my support.

You're going from a team that ripped your heart out to a team with an owner with no heart? You must be a bit of a glutton for punishment, Det ;)

I was thinking the same thing. The Clippers are so under the radar to me that I would never have considered them. I also thought about the Rockets and Nuggets since I lived in or near those cities in my past, but there's really no connection with those teams anymore. The Blazers have a few guys that Seattle fans can identify with and everyone in the organization from Paul Allen down supported us through all of this crap, so shifting allegiance to Portland makes the most sense to me. It could very well be temporary for a lot of us, but I'm sure there will be a decent following from up here until we're back in the league.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#55 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jul 5, 2008 5:13 pm

mojomarc wrote:

Probably... :P

No, it's just more me being a guy that always roots for the underdog and the Clippers were one of the, if not the, biggest underdogs of this league till they matched that offer for Elton Brand.
I'm also a big college hoops fan and like to follow those great young players during their first steps in the league and with the Clippers you could follow one of those guys nearly every season... :D

BTW: I think Sterling has changed a bit and i believe that he'll re-sign Brand as well, making the Clippers a team that will make some noise during the next couple of years.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by mojomarc » Sat Jul 5, 2008 5:19 pm

Regardless, it will be fun to watch Baron Davis and Mike Dunleavy get into fistfights in practice when B. Diddy refuses to play the control game that Mike D. loves to play.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#57 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jul 5, 2008 5:25 pm

mojomarc wrote:Regardless, it will be fun to watch Baron Davis and Mike Dunleavy get into fistfights in practice when B. Diddy refuses to play the control game that Mike D. loves to play.

Yeah, i think Dunleavy will lose those last 3 hairs he's still got on his head... :lol:
HeavyP
Starter
And1: 0

Post#58 » by HeavyP » Sat Jul 5, 2008 7:39 pm

Hello guys, I've already interacted with a bunch of you on the Mariners or Seahawks or Trade or Draft boards, but I guess this can be my formal introduction. I am a diehard Sonic fan, always have been. The last 3 or 4 years I've become a closet Portland fan. I loved watching Brandon Roy while I was at UW, I love Greg Oden, you guys have Paul Allen, and my favorite Sonic of all time Mac 10.

I'm an NBA fan, and I will continue to root for Jeff Green, Kevin Durant and Nick Collison but I will never root for OKC to win a game because I don't want Clay Bennett or any of his cronies to make any money. I have read this board as often as the Sonics board everyday for the last two years, I just think I've only posted here a few times. I'm glad to see you're willing to take us Sonic fans. I just hope I can get Portland games broad casted up here in Spokane, otherwise I'll have to buy league pass.
DmoneyH3
Pro Prospect

Post#59 » by DmoneyH3 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 10:59 pm

I know it won't be the same as having the Sonics, but hopefully you guys can get stoked when Portland starts being a huge competitor. The M's are my 2nd fv baseball team ,but everytime they go deep into October, it's a blast, just hope the feelings are the same on your side.
Welcome!
Kenny0873
Freshman

Post#60 » by Kenny0873 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 12:01 am

^ I guess we'll know once the Blazers make a huge playoff push. I'm hoping that will be soon because with the general ineptitude of the M's and Huskies lately, I need something besides football season to be excited about...

Return to Portland Trail Blazers