ImageImage

Now that the Clippers need a PF;

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

AZ BLAZER
Starter
And1: 0

Now that the Clippers need a PF; 

Post#1 » by AZ BLAZER » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:19 pm

Would it be wise for KP to offer up Diogu to them? He is $2.9 mil on our cap this year and will probably get little PT. I Think we could get a TPE and a heavily protected first for him. That would eliminate one cap hold for next season and give Portland more flexibility. Would the Clips do it?

Would he be missed? I know some like the fact he is a banger and might prefer Frye be moved and we keep Diogu. I think Diogu would work better with Kaman than Frye would, but Frye probably has more trade value. Of course we do not want to make the Clippers better, but I do not see Diogu or Frye being the missing peices for them. Thoughts?
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 57

Re: Now that the Clippers need a PF; 

Post#2 » by Telfaire » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:23 pm

Actually, I think Frye would complement Kaman better. And moving him means more time at PF for Outlaw and Diogu.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#3 » by cucad8 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:34 pm

Moving Frye also means, though, that if anything happened to Przybilla or Oden, Diogu is our backup C. At least we know Frye can fill in at backup C somewhat effectively. I'd rather not risk Diogu as our backup there.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#4 » by mojomarc » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:36 pm

Trade Travis instead, take back a couple of first rounders, and make sure one of them is an original Clips' first rounder that is unprotected within four years. Being able to add another potential stud draft pick as Roy is getting close to 30 years old would be the best impression of San Antonio drafting Duncan to play with DRob that we could ever hope for. And let's face it--Travis will never be a good player as a starter with Oden and Bayless and Aldridge and Roy all deserving shots over him, and as a White Team player he is a bit redundant if Rudy is half as good over here as he was in Europe (and completely redundant if Rudy is anywhere near as good as he was over there). The Clips don't have anything to trade other than cap space and picks, so we may as well take advantage of it.
PacificBlazer
Starter
And1: 128

Post#5 » by PacificBlazer » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:43 pm

Why trade Outlaw? I say a big no to that. Actually I am against trading Frye at this point too. I want this team to get some time on the court before our next big move. I think the team we have has a good chance to be pretty special.
Oh hi Realgm
Voodoo
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#6 » by Voodoo » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:47 pm

PacificBlazer wrote:Why trade Outlaw? I say a big no to that. Actually I am against trading Frye at this point too. I want this team to get some time on the court before our next big move. I think the team we have has a good chance to be pretty special.

+1
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#7 » by Zyme » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:55 pm

It would make sense. If I were to offer this trade, I would not seek trade protection. Rather what I would do is have a pick switching agreement (if the blazers had a lower pick picks would be kept, if clipps were worse, they would trade their pick for portlands). Though this would be betting that the clips would do worse but I would do this trade anyhow.

Would you guys.
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
RoytoOden
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#8 » by RoytoOden » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:04 pm

Voodoo wrote:
PacificBlazer wrote:Why trade Outlaw? I say a big no to that. Actually I am against trading Frye at this point too. I want this team to get some time on the court before our next big move. I think the team we have has a good chance to be pretty special.

+1
+2
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#9 » by mojomarc » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:11 pm

I would trade Outlaw because I think his role will be diminished, that what he provides will be duplicated elsewhere with as good or better results, and that his trade value will never be higher.

Does that answer your question?
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,534

Post#10 » by zzaj » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:18 pm

I'm not sold, but I like your thinking Mojo...as I don't think Outlaw's value will get higher than it is right now on this team.

I wonder about a backup to Martell though...Brandon? Rudy is too skinny.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#11 » by JD45 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:19 pm

AZ BLAZER wrote:Would it be wise for KP to offer up Diogu to them? He is $2.9 mil on our cap this year and will probably get little PT. I Think we could get a TPE and a heavily protected first for him. That would eliminate one cap hold for next season and give Portland more flexibility. Would the Clips do it?

Would he be missed? I know some like the fact he is a banger and might prefer Frye be moved and we keep Diogu. I think Diogu would work better with Kaman than Frye would, but Frye probably has more trade value. Of course we do not want to make the Clippers better, but I do not see Diogu or Frye being the missing peices for them. Thoughts?

I think it depends on how the summer works out. For now, Diogu is insurance in case they trade Frye. But if it gets late in the Summer with no trade brewing, then something like this would be a great idea.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#12 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:24 pm

trading Outlaw for a TPE and a future draft pick would just be dumb IMO, and KP wouldn't consider it. If any players are renounced next summer, outlaw won't be among their number.

If portland decided to trade Outlaw, they would almost certainly do better then that.

And if the blazers decided to trade a player for a TPE and pick (I doubt they would in any event), the OP is probably correct...it would be Diogu 1st, and IMO, it would be webster next.
Red Robot
Assistant Coach
And1: 113

Post#13 » by Red Robot » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:37 pm

I think mojo's idea is a good one, if the Clippers would go for it. Their strategy seems to be to add talent in the draft then keep just enough of it to keep the fans from quitting. The Clips have traded out of the first round only once in 20+ years.

I'd also do Diogu for the TPE and a 2nd. For them to trade a first, it would have to be so heavily protected that the Blazers would never get it. I'm not that exited about the 20th pick in 2025 (it's supposed to be a weak draft).

Part of me thinks Diogu could be a long-term solution, though. Right now, he's the odd man out of the PF rotation. But if Joel gets traded or injured or old, Frye could play backup center and Diogu would have a nice little niche behind Aldridge.
PacificBlazer
Starter
And1: 128

Post#14 » by PacificBlazer » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:43 pm

mojomarc wrote:I would trade Outlaw because I think his role will be diminished, that what he provides will be duplicated elsewhere with as good or better results, and that his trade value will never be higher.

Does that answer your question?

Actually I guess you already said that, my bad :oops:

My point is that before any big moves are made (go ahead and trade Diogu) I want to see how this version of our Blazers performs. On paper throwing in Oden, Rudy, and Bayless (Batum also?) with this group and only losing Jack and Jones makes us look insanely good. At some point we will have to thin the roster no doubt, but I don't see the rush. Let the guys earn there spots on the court before we ship them out.

Oh and I think Outlaw will be in a Blazer uniform a long time. Just a hunch.
Oh hi Realgm
a_sensei
Analyst
And1: 658

Post#15 » by a_sensei » Wed Jul 9, 2008 11:03 pm

The original idea would be fine. Mainy for Diogu's decent talent not being wasted as the #5 big on our team.
I think Mojo is really up to some good thinking. I'm a big Outlaw fan and like Pacific I want to see what this group can do. On the other hand the type of deal that can net us a high lottery pick in three or four years would be fantastic. We can probably count on the Clippers to give us a pretty good pick.
In terms of finding someone to backup Martell, if you have good talent evaluators, backup SFs are the easiest thing to find on the cheap. We've done it the last two years (Udoka and James Jones) and I'm sure could find another.
We'll probably have Outlaw next year and this will make me smile on a daily basis. When Nate asks if he wants to take the shot, we all know how he'll answer :D .
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 310

Post#16 » by HoopsFanAZ » Wed Jul 9, 2008 11:20 pm

First, I'll admit my bias in favor of Diogu sticking with the Blazers. Great guy to have on the team if he can be healthy.

I would, however, be in favor of shipping Diogu to the Clippers in exchange for a sign and traded Livingston. Keep him rehabbing for as long as needed on a 3 year contract that has team options.
8-)
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#17 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jul 9, 2008 11:42 pm

a_sensei wrote:The original idea would be fine. Mainy for Diogu's decent talent not being wasted as the #5 big on our team.
I think Mojo is really up to some good thinking. I'm a big Outlaw fan and like Pacific I want to see what this group can do. On the other hand the type of deal that can net us a high lottery pick in three or four years would be fantastic. We can probably count on the Clippers to give us a pretty good pick.
In terms of finding someone to backup Martell, if you have good talent evaluators, backup SFs are the easiest thing to find on the cheap. We've done it the last two years (Udoka and James Jones) and I'm sure could find another.
We'll probably have Outlaw next year and this will make me smile on a daily basis. When Nate asks if he wants to take the shot, we all know how he'll answer :D .

3 or 4 summers ago when Nash was in charge, the same thing could have been said about portland. If a team would have made a similar trade then for Portland's 2009 draft pick, they'd likely end up with around the 20th pick, not a top 5.

There's no guarantee whatsoever that it would be a high pick, and if the Clips suck for the next year or 2 (and people may be premature in believing that) then they'd add a couple of high lottery picks to their roster. They have cap-space now and if they don't fill it, they'll have space next summer. They could very well be a lot better then you think 4 years from now.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#18 » by cucad8 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 11:52 pm

On top of the risk of LA being good, though we have lots of young talent, I don't quite think we're at the level where we can just give it away for future potential picks, to clear space. I'm not saying everyone on our team is extremely valuable, but he has way moe value than just a far future first rounder. That makes no sense. In 3 years, yeah, maybe we can make deals like that. Now? When we are a .500 team? An EXTREMELY young .500 team? I don't think so.
DmoneyH3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#19 » by DmoneyH3 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:00 am

Outlaw isn't getting traded so just throw away your Outlaw to ____(insert destination here) ideas.
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#20 » by SabasRevenge! » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:38 am

If we could get two unprotected first rounders from the Clips I'd do that trade without a second thought. A trade like that would probably end up being monumentally bad for the Clips, besides, they already have Al Thornton.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers