ImageImage

Now that the Clippers need a PF;

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Re: Now that the Clippers need a PF; 

Post#21 » by Neon1 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:12 pm

We have a where will JJ Redick be traded to poll on the Magic Board, One of the deals is a trade to Portland for Diogu, doesnt look like either will get playing time on respective teams, Portland seems to be the boards early favorite...come click a couple buttons in the poll for insight?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=815711&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Red Robot
Assistant Coach
And1: 113

Post#22 » by Red Robot » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:45 pm

Portland wouldn't do that. If neither of them are going to play, why make the trade? The 5th big on the depth chart is much more likely to play than the 7th guard.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#23 » by mojomarc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:59 am

Wizenheimer wrote:3 or 4 summers ago when Nash was in charge, the same thing could have been said about portland. If a team would have made a similar trade then for Portland's 2009 draft pick, they'd likely end up with around the 20th pick, not a top 5.

The big difference is that the Clips have a 30 year history of futility, and that futility comes from having one of the worst owners in pro sports history. Paul Allen was willing to put up with Nash's draft picks only so long, whereas Donald Sterling has kept Baylor for 20 years. I realize it is inductive reasoning, but so is believing that because for untold generations the sun has risen in the East and set in the West and I'd bet that we'd all feel pretty confident that it is a trend that will continue for the foreseeable future.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#24 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:21 am

mojomarc wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:3 or 4 summers ago when Nash was in charge, the same thing could have been said about portland. If a team would have made a similar trade then for Portland's 2009 draft pick, they'd likely end up with around the 20th pick, not a top 5.

The big difference is that the Clips have a 30 year history of futility, and that futility comes from having one of the worst owners in pro sports history. Paul Allen was willing to put up with Nash's draft picks only so long, whereas Donald Sterling has kept Baylor for 20 years. I realize it is inductive reasoning, but so is believing that because for untold generations the sun has risen in the East and set in the West and I'd bet that we'd all feel pretty confident that it is a trend that will continue for the foreseeable future.

futility...yes.

but you're 'counting' on either abject futility or immaculate timing in order to insure a top 5 draft pick. They do have Davis, Kaman, and Thornton, along with cap-space this summer and perhaps even more next summer if they don't use it this. They'll also possibly be adding a couple more lottery picks before the pick the blazers get would arrive.

I know you have a relatively low opinion of Outlaw, but dumping him for a TPE and a dice roll 1st round pick seems foolish to me. I wouldn't even do it with Martell, but then I agree with cucad that portland just isn't strong enough yet to be dumping talent on speculation.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#25 » by Neon1 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:06 am

Red Robot wrote:Portland wouldn't do that. If neither of them are going to play, why make the trade? The 5th big on the depth chart is much more likely to play than the 7th guard.

That actually meant isnt gonna get pt on thier current teams. Im not saying that redick would play on yours, im just saying.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by mojomarc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:45 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
futility...yes.

but you're 'counting' on either abject futility or immaculate timing in order to insure a top 5 draft pick. They do have Davis, Kaman, and Thornton, along with cap-space this summer and perhaps even more next summer if they don't use it this. They'll also possibly be adding a couple more lottery picks before the pick the blazers get would arrive.

I don't think Davis will stay healthy, i which case he will suck up huge amounts of cap space and contribute nothing to winning. Heck, even if healthy I think Baron is more of a player that cares about his stats more than winning anyway.

I know you have a relatively low opinion of Outlaw, but dumping him for a TPE and a dice roll 1st round pick seems foolish to me. I wouldn't even do it with Martell, but then I agree with cucad that portland just isn't strong enough yet to be dumping talent on speculation.

I don't have a relatively low opinion of Outlaw. I just believe we have too many players who can also play his role as scorer off the bench (I don't believe he would ever succeed as a starter because Outlaw contributes less than nothing as the fifth option on the floor, which he very likely would be), which means one or more of them are expendible. Outlaw brings the most value back, so it makes sense to trade what will get us the most value. Now Travis isn't near good enough to get us a real player back by himself, and the Clips don't have any players they would trade that we'd want to take back anyway, so the only move the can possibly make sense with the Clips it to trade Outlaw for unprotected picks. Remember, I never suggested *a* pick and a TPE--I suggested one unprotected Clips original pick, another first with whatever conditions might be put on it but coming within the next five years (since you can't trade picks from farther out than that) and the TPE. Getting two picks for a fairly redundant player isn't bad value at all, particularly if Batum looks like he can contribute this year (which surpisingly to me might be the case if Quick is correct, which could unsurprisingly not be the case as well).
Odonism
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#27 » by Odonism » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:29 am

The idea of trading Diogu for a Trade exception and a future protected first or second is not a bad idea. Remember Ike only has a 1 year contract so its likely he walks this summer and we get nothing as far as future assets.

As for what he can bring to the team this season. It would be nice to have another back to the basket offensive player while Oden is developing and LMA still has work to do.

Frye is the more valuable player for this team due to his versatility and tenure. I would have a hard time trading him unless the pick was unprotected or like top 4 protected just because he has shown he can fit.

Travis should not be traded unless it gets us Prince like starter at SF or a good PG. He has far more value and will not be moved unless we get an exceptional offer.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by mojomarc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:31 pm

If we're going to make a trade for a starter at SF or a good PG with Travis as the primary value, we better trade him yesterday because I don't see him getting any more shots than he got last year. I would be willing to bet two firsts, one with no protection, from the clips and a TPE for him will seem like a bounty by the trade deadline.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#29 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:44 pm

mojomarc wrote:If we're going to make a trade for a starter at SF or a good PG with Travis as the primary value, we better trade him yesterday because I don't see him getting any more shots than he got last year. I would be willing to bet two firsts, one with no protection, from the clips and a TPE for him will seem like a bounty by the trade deadline.

would you trade Martell for the same deal?
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#30 » by JD45 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:55 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
mojomarc wrote:If we're going to make a trade for a starter at SF or a good PG with Travis as the primary value, we better trade him yesterday because I don't see him getting any more shots than he got last year. I would be willing to bet two firsts, one with no protection, from the clips and a TPE for him will seem like a bounty by the trade deadline.

would you trade Martell for the same deal?

At some point that might makes sense. The Blazers now how 3 young SFs (Martell, Outlaw, Batum). Something has to give. And they would not have drafted Batum if they were confident of Outlaw and Webster.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#31 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:01 pm

i wouldn't trade either.

frye is the most solid backup the blazers have for pf/c. remember joel is always an injury risk and we don't know what oden will be like (worst case scenario).

and for outlaw, many say that SF is the weakest position, so why trade the most "complete/consistent" SF we have?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers