ImageImage

Who will we overtake?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

BornBlzrFan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Who will we overtake? 

Post#1 » by BornBlzrFan » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:11 pm

Just curious, of the western conference playoff teams from last year, who do you think WON'T make it next year that will allow us to get in?

1. Lakers
2. Hornets
3. Spurs
4. Jazz
5. Rockets
6. Suns
7. Mavs
8. Nuggets

I think everyone's take on next year's team is that we will make the playoffs. I agree. However, I don't think many people think about what teams might not make it if we do. I think the obvious team is the nuggets, but they are a "wild card" because of the individual talent they have on that team. I also think the mavs are declining rapidly--they may be on the outside looking in. The suns still have enough talent and experience so I don't see them not making it(unless shaq gets hurt and misses 20-30 games). In my opinion, the other 5 teams aren't going anywhere and they will be in the playoffs.

So that really leaves us competing with the mavs and nuggets for the 7 and 8 spot. I know we can get the 4th spot if we win the division, but I don't see that happening this year. We are going to have to play really well all year long and be consistent if we want to make the playoffs.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Re: Who will we overtake? 

Post#2 » by Soulyss » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:51 pm

I think you hit it on the head.. We will either take the Mav's spot or the Nugget's spot. I actually think we will end up around the 5-6 seed, which means I think we will bypass the Suns and possibly the Rockets record wise.
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#3 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:51 pm

nuggets suns and the mavs i see possabely falling out of the playoffs
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#4 » by BlackMamba » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:18 pm

i think 1-4 are almost a sure thing.

5-8 could be in or out.
taufblazers33
Starter
And1: 650

Post#5 » by taufblazers33 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:24 pm

holy crap the west is loaded
ADawg22 wrote:Cavs announcer sounds like he has an orgasm everytime one of their players score.
jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Post#6 » by jhern87 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:24 pm

I think we're a better team then them all except the top 3. I wouldn't be too surprised if we beat out the Jazz and were a 4th seed in next years playoffs.
listerine
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by listerine » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:28 pm

It's amazing how quickly things can change in the NBA. The Suns and Mavs were powerhouses and the Hornets were nothing.

I live in LA, and last summer Laker-land was all doom and gloom. If they kept Kobe, they would be just good enough to never get a top draft pick. Bad enough to never make it through the playoffs. Not enough pieces to make a big trade. And expensive enough never to get a top free agent. Then they get off to a surprising start and get Gasol as a gift. Now, they're the best team in the west.

Looking at the teams below us, I don't see who might give us a run for a spot.

Warriors and Clippers haven't helped themselves this summer.
Sacramento is always okay, but they're rebuilding.
Memphis doesn't have anyone.
Minnesota MIGHT surprise people this season.
Seattle will only be decent if Durant lifts that team on his shoulders.
ph1sh55
Senior

Post#8 » by ph1sh55 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:14 pm

I think houston, denver and dallas could struggle at times this next year.
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#9 » by BigOrangeBalls » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:16 pm

BlackMamba wrote:i think 1-4 are almost a sure thing.

5-8 could be in or out.

Yes.

I think the Hornets will be out of the Top 4, however. Everyone will be up to play them this year.

The Spurs might drop a little if they don't sign someone.
Quote taken completely out of context designed to make someone look stupid.

-Some Poor Sucker
Yangsing
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by Yangsing » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:27 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the Blazers struggled at the beginning of next season trying to integrate all the new pieces. AFter the first couple months, Blazers will get acclimated and start beasting on teams.

Nuggets are a sinking ship, they're one step away from rebuilding mode. Blazers will almost assurdley take their spot at worst.

Mavs and Suns. One of these teams will drop off. My money is on Dallas, they just seem like a team steadily on the decline after the NBA finals couple years ago. The Kidd trade certainly didn't help things, he's not a good fit for them. Blazers will take their spot.

I say Blazers as the 7th seed.
kinch
Starter

Post#11 » by kinch » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:44 pm

Nine games separated the best record from the ninth best record in the West last year, compared to a thirty game spread in the East. If any team has a rough spell, or loses important players to injury for an extended time, they're probably not going to make the playoffs.
[quote][/quote]
Red Robot
Assistant Coach
And1: 113

Post#12 » by Red Robot » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:45 pm

Last years' top 5 seeds, if healthy, will all be in the playoffs.

The other three are still very talented. The Nuggets shouldn't be much worse than last year. With the conference weakening a little, they they'll probably get in. Dallas is clearly on the decline, but they may have enough left to make the playoffs a couple more times without rebuilding. I didn't see much of the Suns after the trade last season. They're relying on some older players (Shaq, Hill, Nash) who have the potential to decline quickly, and they'll have a new coach, too. I think they're the most likely to drop out.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#13 » by JD45 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:02 pm

Suns and Nuggets.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#14 » by ebott » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:04 pm

We're gonna win 60+ games next season.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#15 » by Zyme » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:13 pm

ebott wrote:We're gonna win 60+ games next season.

ha! By that I mean that would be awesome. I think around 48-52 sounds about right to me.
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#16 » by ebott » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:23 pm

Zyme wrote:

ha! By that I mean that would be awesome. I think around 48-52 sounds about right to me.

I'm sure your low standards make you feel good about the state of things. I just don't see it happening. We're so big and strong and fast and skilled. I don't see any way that more than a quarter of the league beats us this season.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Post#17 » by sabi » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:32 pm

ebott wrote:
Zyme wrote:

I'm sure your low standards make you feel good about the state of things. I just don't see it happening. We're so big and strong and fast and skilled. I don't see any way that more than a quarter of the league beats us this season.

I hope the loss of Jones doesn't hurt us too much next season. He added that vet presence to the team and helped us out during the 13 game winning streak.
Prodigy73 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Chill out, bro. Things will get better when we face the next 3 games in Nets, Mavs and Rockets, relax, chill.

If we go 0-3 during that Imma chillllllllllllll
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#18 » by Mr Odd » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:32 pm

Actually I dont see the Blazers overtaking any of
those teams unless one of these two things happen.. .

1) The newer Blazers play like theyve been in the league a few years.
2) One of those above teams gets hit with major injurys.. .

I think we're still a year or two away from the playoffs
mainly because we're still young & the west is thick!!
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,472

Post#19 » by Pattycakes » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:34 pm

Hell let's just call it 80.
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#20 » by Zyme » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:51 pm

ebott wrote:
Zyme wrote:

I hate to say it, but though I am only 21, I have to admit I'm kind of a bitter (I'll believe it when I see it) type of fan. I've been a niners, Seminoles (dad was an alum, now I a rabid duck fan since I started going to U of O) Mariners and Blazers fan for all my life and every time I really get excited for my team they always manage to disapoint me. I really want to put my full faith into this wonderful team and all indicators say full steam ahead, but I really have that nagging doubt in the back of my mind that says, danger will robinson. I would just be estatic to have this team exceede all my concerns and pull away and win that many games, but I just dont know. I prefer to air on the side of caution but its still hard given all the indicators for this team going forward.
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers