ImageImage

Webster Extension

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Webster Extension 

Post#1 » by TowelBoy12 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:06 am

4 years, $30M, agreed to prior to 2008-2009 and effective beginning with 2009-2010 season.

Your thoughts? Would the Blazers offer that much? Would they be wise to? Would Webster accept it, or take his chances?

A lot depends on how you view Webster as a player. Personally, I view him as a 21 year old more athletic Shane Battier in the making, which I know is pretty high praise. I think it would be good to lock him up as part of our core now. The deal above is only 4 years, which is a moderate commitment in case of unforeseen injuries or something like that (no crazy 6 year deals). Also, it's probably a slightly bigger number than he could expect to see in the MLE market, which would make signing now a very enticing option for Webster and his agent. I see it as a win-win for both parties.

Does anyone see something like this happening? Should it?
"RealGM Forum Policies" thread, section 1: "Forum Rules", clause b.:

Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. This applies to ALL users, regardless of post count, forum rank or perceived status at RealGM.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Re: Webster Extension 

Post#2 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:19 am

TowelBoy12 wrote:4 years, $30M, agreed to prior to 2008-2009 and effective beginning with 2009-2010 season.

Your thoughts? Would the Blazers offer that much? Would they be wise to? Would Webster accept it, or take his chances?

A lot depends on how you view Webster as a player. Personally, I view him as a 21 year old more athletic Shane Battier in the making, which I know is pretty high praise. I think it would be good to lock him up as part of our core now. The deal above is only 4 years, which is a moderate commitment in case of unforeseen injuries or something like that (no crazy 6 year deals). Also, it's probably a slightly bigger number than he could expect to see in the MLE market, which would make signing now a very enticing option for Webster and his agent. I see it as a win-win for both parties.

absolutely no way that KP gives him that kind of deal this summer. It's about 3 million a year too high for the cap-plan
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#3 » by Mr Odd » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:26 am

I dont believe Webster has earned
any type of contract extension.. .
Hopefully he'll step up and actually
be consistent, hes young still but if
he doesnt step up and start being
more consistent then he probably
should be traded or worked into
the capspace plan in someway.. .
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by TowelBoy12 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:29 am

Mr Odd wrote:I dont believe Webster has earned

He was the starting SF for almost all of last year, and consistently shows improvement and a willingness to do what is asked of him. An extension could also be viewed as a preventative measure. Next year a desperate lower level team could offer him money fitting for a second-option type player (especially if he improves again this year), and we would be crazy to match it intending to use him more as a role-player. Then we'd be stuck with a gaping hole at SF.

Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. This applies to ALL users, regardless of post count, forum rank or perceived status at RealGM.
TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by TowelBoy12 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:31 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
TowelBoy12 wrote:4 years, $30M, agreed to prior to 2008-2009 and effective beginning with 2009-2010 season.

absolutely no way that KP gives him that kind of deal this summer. It's about 3 million a year too high for the cap-plan

I'm going to ask this as politely as possible.... CAP SPACE FOR WHAT?!?!?!
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Post#6 » by Khazim » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:36 am

TowelBoy12 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

+1
GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#7 » by GOBlazers » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:47 am

I'd like to give webster an extension soon, or trade him. We need to in order to prevent a 11.4 million caphold. I think 7 million a year is far too much though.

4 years 22 million. If he chooses to leave, we still have outlaw, and the capspace plan
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#8 » by Spykes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:51 am

30 over 4 years is WAY too high for what Webster has shown. He's only worth about what Outlaw got last summer. Around the 4 mil range. No way is he worth 7+ mil a season. Cap space plan aside, that's just plain overpaying.
TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by TowelBoy12 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:58 am

Spykes wrote:30 over 4 years is WAY too high for what Webster has shown. He's only worth about what Outlaw got last summer. Around the 4 mil range. No way is he worth 7+ mil a season. Cap space plan aside, that's just plain overpaying.

Had Outlaw ever been a full-time starter prior to signing his extension? Was Outlaw ever the 6th overall pick in the NBA draft?
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#10 » by cucad8 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:02 am

Who cares what pick he is after 3 years in the league. Does that mean we should overpay Diogu, since he was lottery as well? I can't see how, at this moment, Webster is worth 7.5 a year.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#11 » by mojomarc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:05 am

Spykes wrote:30 over 4 years is WAY too high for what Webster has shown. He's only worth about what Outlaw got last summer. Around the 4 mil range. No way is he worth 7+ mil a season. Cap space plan aside, that's just plain overpaying.

Agreed. I'd go up to 5m for his starter experience and for being a better fit as a starter than Outlaw, but 7.5m is way more than he is worth.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#12 » by Spykes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:25 am

TowelBoy12 wrote:

Had Outlaw ever been a full-time starter prior to signing his extension? Was Outlaw ever the 6th overall pick in the NBA draft?

As others have stated, where a player was picked has absolutely nothing to do with how much they should be paid.

As for your other argument, no Outlaw hadn't been a full-time starter, but look deeper at the numbers. Outlaw, in 22 minutes (the season before his extension), produced nearly identical numbers to what Webster averaged (as a starter) in 28 minutes.

His stats simply don't justify the type of salary you're suggesting. There's just no way around that. MLE money... MAYBE, but even that's a bit high right now imo.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#13 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:34 am

TowelBoy12 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

well, an equally polite response would be cap space for something better then webster, and frankly, at this point, that's easily achievable.

I've questioned the cap-space plan myself, at least as it relates to the likely FA's next summer. But cap-space can be used for trades. And KP seems to be determined to maximize cap space and of course, he certainly appears to be adept at the trading game, I won't be a proponent of trashing KP's cap-space plan for extending a player the caliber of Webster.

I said in my first post your number was 3 million a year too high. If Martell is willing to sign for 4-4.5 million/yr, I don't have a big problem with it. Any more then that I do, and I'm willing to bet KP would as well. I'm not sure he'll extend the contracts of any of the 2005 draftees, but if he did, I'd bet that Frye would be the first, and maybe the only one.
DmoneyH3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#14 » by DmoneyH3 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:16 am

If James wasn't worth 4 million, then there is no way Martell is worth 7.5 a year. Not yet at least. 4 years 18/20 million. I would not overpay for Marty. We have Outlaw who can play 30 a night, and if Batum isn't ready for action, Rudy can always play backup 3 minutes.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#15 » by JD45 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:25 am

Extend him at a bargain or just wait until next year.

The Blazers don't have to worry about the cap hold. If they find a free agent, they can either sign Webster or renounce his rights. The Cap hold won't interfere with anything.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Red Robot
Assistant Coach
And1: 113

Post#16 » by Red Robot » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 am

The Blazers would be bidding against themselves with a contract that large. Not only would it be a bad idea, but it would be totally unnecessary. Nobody's going to be offering him their full MLE.

$22 million over four years sounds perfect to me. That would count against the cap space by $4.75m, probably enough to keep Frye and have enough left over to sign a max free agent.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#17 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:13 am

I'm against offering Webster that much money especially before we see what he can do for the Blazers next season. We're going to have a lot of depth in 08-09, and Webster may very well see a reduction in playing time. If he can show improvement this season, I might be in support of offering him a deal worth around 5 million a year for 4 years, but this upcoming season will tell us a lot about what Martell's role is on this team.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#18 » by Mr Odd » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:37 am

Oh, I didnt want to sound like I thought
Webster hasnt improved. Im just saying
I dont think hes improved to the point
of giving him much money, atleast not
yet. I also dont think he has to be the
starter just because he can hit the 3,
because of Oden coming in. Infact
Travis has a better 3pt %, altho
Webster has taken more, but I
think thats partly due to his
role & what is asked of him
and what is asked of Travis.
But if you can keep Webster
at low cost, then do it!!
TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by TowelBoy12 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:19 am

Alright, I'll buy what you guys are selling. It was a preliminary number I threw out based on an assumption that a lot of teams will be willing to offer him the max MLE type contract next summer. Of course, that remains to be seen, and I'll now agree that it makes little sense to "bid against ourselves."

I admit it's been many months since I've ran some numbers regarding the mythical "Cap Space 2009 Plan," but if it comes down to a "tough" decision between Webster, Diogu, and Frye, well, I don't think that's very tough at all personally.

Now from Webster's perspective, would it make sense to accept a 4-year deal with a salary that's actually less than his qualifying offer? Simply because it's a guarantee of $22M (ish), I suppose it could. That would be sweet.

BigSkyBlazerFan
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#20 » by BigSkyBlazerFan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:19 am

Mr Odd wrote:I dont believe Webster has earned

Odd is right Webster will be a guy who should improve and if he is able to be consistent he will be worth a good amount. To be clear I don’t have a good grasp on the money so I hope it works out for us.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers