ImageImage

Post season predictions

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post season predictions 

Post#1 » by Zyme » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:00 pm

I know many, including me are predicting that the blazers will make the playoffs. They are too well rounded with such good players it is hard to not think that team has all the tools for 50+ wins and a solid place in the playoffs. My prediction is a 7 seed and I know may have gone as far a saying that portland has a chance to win it all. Though some (cough.. Ebott) have questioned my devotion to this team, I really think that there is no reason to think that we will not win a championship or two by 2014-15 season. Bur in regards to this season's team here is how I see the post season shaking out

Final standings:
Lakers 58-24
Hornets: 56-26
Jazz: 55-27
Spurs: 55-27
Houston: 53-29
Phoenix:: 53-29
Portland: 52-30
Denver: 49-33
------
Dallas: 47-35
Clippers: 45-37
Kings: 39-43
Warriors: 29-53
T-Wolves: 27-55
OKC something or others: 25-57
Memphis 20-62

My prediction for the post season:
first round
1. Lakers
8. Nuggets
winner: Lakers in 5 (What's teamwork? Lakers blow out in game 5, Nuggets take one at home)

2. Hornets
7. Blazers
Winner: Blazers in 6 (Surprising the hornets on thier own floor due to our depth on the bench, the Blazer out grind the Hornets, closing it out after going up 3-1 in game 6)

3. Jazz
6. Suns
Winner: Jazz in 5 (Too good of home court advantage, suns too old. Suns surprise on on the Jazz home floor in game 1, Utah responds with 4 straight)

4. Spurs
5. Rockets
Winner: Spurs in 7 (TMacs got to win eventually, right? No, buzzer beater missed by TMac for the win by the spurs in game seven, home court holds serve.)

2nd round
1. Lakers
4. Spurs
Winner: Coinflip in seven (Clash of Titans leads to an epic series but ends with the Spurs holding off the Lakers and Kobe, or visa versa)

7. Blazers
3. Jazz
Winner: Jazz in 7 (Portland stars shine but cannot overcome the troublesome ability to win on the the Jazz's home court)

3. Jazz
1/4 Lakers/Spurs
Winner: Spurs/lakers in 6 (too experienced and well rounded. Jazz lose a close one at home and cannot win on the opposing floor)

Over the next few year I think that portland will improve by at least 2 playoff slots every year for the next 2 year. After that I think a top 4 seed ever year should be expected. Deep playoff runs should be happening every year and by my 2014-15 prediction coming to pass we will be in the finals at least 3-4 times.
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Re: Post season predictions 

Post#2 » by Milkdud » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:10 pm

No offense but its way to early to really predict anything.
BigSkyBlazerFan
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#3 » by BigSkyBlazerFan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:21 pm

That looks pretty good you did a great job Zyme, the only thing I might disagree with is the length of the Jazz Suns series never count out Nash until he finally burns out. This was made to the point I can’t help to agree.
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#4 » by SabasRevenge! » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:26 pm

An appearance in the second round would have to be considered very successful for us and horrifying for the rest of the league. We will likely have at least two rookies (Oden/Fernandez) playing key roles and possibly one more (Bayless) as a significant contributor. I believe our opening day roster will still be the youngest in the league due to the addition of our four (Batum) and possibly five (Koponen) rookies to the 15 man roster.

IMO we should expect to be in the playoffs after last year. This year we will be improved at all five positions and we certainly have greater depth. A basic White/Black unit breakdown may look like this:

Blake
Roy
Webster
Aldridge
Oden

Bayless
Rudy
Outlaw
Frye
Przybilla

Sergio and Diogu likely fill out the active roster.

The analysis of our depth allowing us to outlast a team like NO is great insight. Hopefully our depth will allow to get away with playing Roy/Oden an average of 32/30 average minutes. I think Aldridge will log the most minutes this next year. Going 10-12 deep means our guys should be fresher after 82 games.

If we make the playoffs, look for Nate to shift to a rotation of Blake, Roy, Webster, Aldridge and Oden with Rudy and Outlaw getting significant minutes off the bench. Frye and Przy will get spot minutes and Bayless won't see much of the court during the POs. I'd look for Roy and Aldridge to be over 40mpg and Oden to be over 35mpg in the playoffs.

I expect Rudy and Oden to exceed projections and Bayless to be a bit less ready than we think. In a perfect world, Bayless would exceed our expectations and supplant Blake as our starting PG halfway through the year, turning in an extraordinary playoff performance and teaming with Roy to lead us to a deep run!
taufblazers33
Starter
And1: 650

Post#5 » by taufblazers33 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:28 pm

young, inexperienced teams don't go far in playoffs.
i predict 6th seed and we lose in 7 in first rd
ADawg22 wrote:Cavs announcer sounds like he has an orgasm everytime one of their players score.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#6 » by Malapropism » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:30 pm

taufblazers33 wrote:young, inexperienced teams don't go far in playoffs.
i predict 6th seed and we lose in 7 in first rd

Hornets beg to differ. Experience is completely overblown.

But, I'll say 7th seed with a 1st round loss in 6. West is just to stacked.
BigSkyBlazerFan
Sophomore

Post#7 » by BigSkyBlazerFan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Milkdud wrote:No offense but its way to early to really predict anything.

It’s still fun there’s nothing major going on right now looking to the future is fun, and try to compare this to when it happens mark it down now and see how you did later that’s all I’m thinking.
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#8 » by SabasRevenge! » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:38 pm

BigSkyBlazerFan wrote:
Milkdud wrote:No offense but its way to early to really predict anything.

It’s still fun there’s nothing major going on right now looking to the future is fun, and try to compare this to when it happens mark it down now and see how you did later that’s all I’m thinking.

+1

What else are we supposed to do? Work?
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#9 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:11 pm

I think if We play the Hornets then it goes to a game 7 and that game will be a toss up
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#10 » by Milkdud » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:47 pm

I didn't want to come off as a stick in the mud. For me atleast I like to see how the off season takes shape before I'd predict anything. (ie I hate being wrong)
thegreatblaze
Banned User

Post#11 » by thegreatblaze » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:53 pm

I doubt we'd beat the Hornets in 6, especially if they're 2nd seed.

That would be a major upset.
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#12 » by Zyme » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:57 pm

OdenRoyLMA2 wrote:I doubt we'd beat the Hornets in 6, especially if they're 2nd seed.

That would be a major upset.

Nobody saw the Warriors coming. Epic upsets aside. My rationale is that our depth will hamper our ability to win beacoup games this season, but will leave our starters and white crew very fresh come the post season.
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
EGame
Head Coach
And1: 264

Post#13 » by EGame » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:16 pm

Good predictions, if we are able to make it to the second round of the playoffs that is beyond a successful year without a doubt. However, I actually think we have a better chance to beat the Jazz in a playoff series then the Hornets. Maybe I am just basing this off of last year since we went winless in New Orleans and were able to grab one in Utah, but I think I would like our chances better.
IPC075009
Junior
And1: 0

Post#14 » by IPC075009 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:44 pm

The only things i can disagree with a lot are that Dallas not making the playoffs and the Clippers having as good as a record as you have them. I would do something like this

1. Lakers
2. Hornets
3. Jazz
4. Rockets
5. Spurs
6. Suns
7. Mavericks
8. Blazers

9. Nuggets
10. Kings
11. Timberwolves
12. Warriors
13. Clippers
14. Ex.Sonics
15. Grizzlies

Lakers beat us in 5. I think just making the playoffs will be a huge stride, and then hopefully with another piece, we will begin our dynasty in a year.

Hornets beat Mavs in 6.

Jazz beat Suns in 5.

Rockets beat Spurs in 7.

Lakers beat Rockets in 6.

Jazz beat Hornets in 7.

Lakers beat Jazz in 6.

The future of the west is Portland, Utah, New Orleans, and Los Angeles. And I believe these playoffs will start to show it.
jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Post#15 » by jhern87 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:35 pm

Well call me a homer but I honestly think we will be a better team then the Jazz next season. We were 3-1 against them this past season. Now obviously they have a better record then we did but with the addition of our talented rookies I think it's not too much to think we could win our division.

With that being said and we could some how manage to win our division and nab that fourth seed we very well could see the Jazz in the first round. If so, there's no doubt in my mind that we could take them down, especially with a home-court advantage. I'm sure I sound like a complete homer but even if we don't win the division, I think there are a few teams we could beat in a series. here they are.

Jazz
Rockets
Nuggets
Suns
Mavericks
& possibly the Hornets

Now this is all IF these teams make the playoffs. With all that being said, GO BLAZERS!!!
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#16 » by ebott » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:16 am

I've got two big differences from what the crowd here seems to be saying.

The first is that I don't think the West is going to be quite so top heavy with a bunch of teams winning 50 games next season. I think it'll be a lot more like previous years where the teams near the bottom aren't quite so bad and the teams at the top aren't quite so even in their win totals. I think it'll be a lot more like 06/07 where the top two teams are 60+ and the 7 and 8 seeds are closer to 500.

I'm also saying that the Blazers will be higher up on the food chain. Here's how I've got it breaking down...

Final standings:
Lakers 64-18
Hornets: 62-20
Portland: 56-26
Jazz: 53-29
Spurs: 49-33
Houston: 47-35
Phoenix:: 45-37
Dallas: 44-36
------
Denver: 43-39
Kings: 39-43
Warriors: 37-45
T-Wolves: 33-49
Clippers: 35-47
Memphis 28-54
OKC bandits: 27-55

I don't have Portland winning a lot more games, but I have them much higher up on the food chain.

First Round
Lakers beat Dallas in 5.
Hornets beat Pheonix in 6.
Blazers beat Houston in 5.
The Spurs beat the Jazz in 7. But I think every game would be amazingly close. It would be a grind it out smash it up affair.

Second round
Lakers beat the Spurs in 5. I figure the Spurs will be too worn out from the Jazz series to be effective against the Lakers.
Hornets beat the Blazers in 7.

WCFs
Hornets beat the Lakers in 6.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#17 » by DeezXXnutZ » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:20 am

Blazers aren't losing to the Jazz...What kind of Blazer fan are you...You lost all my respect in one thread...Keep on trucking...
a_sensei
Analyst
And1: 658

Post#18 » by a_sensei » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:21 am

Have the Blazers ever lost in the second round? Off the top of my head I can't remember a time. It's either been First Round Exit or a trip at least to the WCF.

EDIT- I looked it up. They have but not since Jack Ramsay was the coach.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#19 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:04 pm

it won't be a surprise if the blazers make the playoffs, what could be surprising is getting to the 2nd round.

the team has the tools, but the lack of experience could make them pay in several moments.

and of course there is the possibility that oden is indeed the monster everybody predicts times 2 and the blazers win thanks to his 30/20/6 performance during the playoffs...
Cybulski37
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#20 » by Cybulski37 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:03 pm

^^^ If Oden's last basketball game(summer league is not basketball, I don't even know what that crap should be called) is any indicator, Oden should become a monster in the playoffs. Wilt lite.
warriorfan650 wrote:Baron Davis = 2 All Star Games Played.
Jonathan Bender = 2 Games Played.

Owned!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers