Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Koponen outlook 

Post#1 » by Zyme » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:13 pm

From ESPN:

Is The Finn In?

Representatives from pro teams in Spain and Italy, among others, will be on hand to scout Petteri Koponen, 20, the last pick in the first round of the 2007 draft.

If the Blazers don't sign Koponen, he'll sign in Europe -- and it won't be a one-year deal.

"I'm a young player, and the (European) clubs want me to sign a four or five-year contract," Koponen says. "Then the buyout will be so big, it's hard to come here."

Koponen's coach, Mihailo Pavicevic, says Koponen had several offers of about $500,000 from European teams last year, and that the size of the offers will increase this year. -- The Portland Tribune

# "We're gonna take a hard look at him, just see if he's progressed, gotten better, see if he can take the next step," said Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard, who said the improvement in Koponen's game is easily noticeable. "He's made progress. He's handling the ball better. He's shooting the ball better. He just seems more confident." -- The Columbian
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Re: Koponen outlook 

Post#2 » by jhern87 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Zyme wrote:From ESPN:

Is The Finn In?

Representatives from pro teams in Spain and Italy, among others, will be on hand to scout Petteri Koponen, 20, the last pick in the first round of the 2007 draft.

If the Blazers don't sign Koponen, he'll sign in Europe -- and it won't be a one-year deal.

"I'm a young player, and the (European) clubs want me to sign a four or five-year contract," Koponen says. "Then the buyout will be so big, it's hard to come here."

Koponen's coach, Mihailo Pavicevic, says Koponen had several offers of about $500,000 from European teams last year, and that the size of the offers will increase this year. -- The Portland Tribune

# "We're gonna take a hard look at him, just see if he's progressed, gotten better, see if he can take the next step," said Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard, who said the improvement in Koponen's game is easily noticeable. "He's made progress. He's handling the ball better. He's shooting the ball better. He just seems more confident." -- The Columbian

I think this is the most interesting sub-plot in this years summer league for the Blazers. We all know that Bayless can ball and he is going to show some flashes of brilliance and Batum will show off that sweet stroke from behind the arc. Both, Bayless and Batum are both rumored to be on the Blazers regular season roster but where does that leave Kaponen?

What exactly is it that Kaponen needs to do in summer league to get a spot on this team? If KP watches him and has the slightest idea that he might be what the Blazers need in the slight near future is it worth signing him?

If we don't sign him this year we might not be able to for at least another four or five years? IMHO, if he can show some steady progress from last year then I feel we should sign him. Let him be the 15 guy on this roster. Let him learn in the D-league, the way players play that are trying to make a living out of this game. I think him playing against D-league PG's that are stronger and faster then the majority of the guys in the Finnish league, could greatly improve him and better prepare him for the NBA. Should be exciting, I'm definitely intrigued to see how this pans out.
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#3 » by SabasRevenge! » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:24 pm

I'm really hoping Koponen leaves the Blazers no choice due to his play. I'd love to have him and Batum get a year or two in the D-league under their belt. Petteri's salary won't be much, so he won't damage our cap space (if we still have it in '09). As far as trades and roster spots are concerned, I don't think we'll be taking on more players than we send out anyways.
jhern87
Starter

Post#4 » by jhern87 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:34 pm

SabasRevenge! wrote:I'm really hoping Koponen leaves the Blazers no choice due to his play. I'd love to have him and Batum get a year or two in the D-league under their belt. Petteri's salary won't be much, so he won't damage our cap space (if we still have it in '09). As far as trades and roster spots are concerned, I don't think we'll be taking on more players than we send out anyways.

I agree. If the only reason we didn't sign Kaponen was for the simple fact to keep a roster spot open I would be a little disappointed. Let him begin to be a part of this team and get run in the D-league, is what I say (That is, if earns it in SL, which I'm expecting).
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#5 » by mojomarc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:40 pm

The D-league would be a better option for PetKo than Finland, but if he could get a Euro contract with a reasonable buyout after year 2 that would be even better for him and us I think. I just don't think he'd get minutes here with the big club, and the D-league is definitely weaker than Euroleague since most of the best D-league independents are trying to get paid the bigger Euro bucks.
jhern87
Starter

Post#6 » by jhern87 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:45 pm

mojomarc wrote:The D-league would be a better option for PetKo than Finland, but if he could get a Euro contract with a reasonable buyout after year 2 that would be even better for him and us I think. I just don't think he'd get minutes here with the big club, and the D-league is definitely weaker than Euroleague since most of the best D-league independents are trying to get paid the bigger Euro bucks.

Didn't Kaponen play in a Finnish league tho? I heard the competition in that league was sub-par at best. :roll:
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#7 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:49 pm

it's hard to gauge what is truth and what is not when it comes to euro-players.

Kaponen 'looks' interesting and a 6'4-6'5 PG would be valuable if he could actually play and do a moderate job of defending.

I just don't see how the Blazers can 'afford' to have both Sergio and Kaponen on the roster. Assuming Kaponen is close to NBA ready, I wouldn't mind that much seeing him replace Sergio. But then the blazer backcourt would be Roy and Blake and then 3 guys...Rudy, Bayless, PK...with no NBA experience. That's not a good way to make a run at the playoffs.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#8 » by mojomarc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:55 pm

jhern87 wrote:
mojomarc wrote:The D-league would be a better option for PetKo than Finland, but if he could get a Euro contract with a reasonable buyout after year 2 that would be even better for him and us I think. I just don't think he'd get minutes here with the big club, and the D-league is definitely weaker than Euroleague since most of the best D-league independents are trying to get paid the bigger Euro bucks.

Didn't Kaponen play in a Finnish league tho? I heard the competition in that league was sub-par at best. :roll:

I think you're misunderstanding--the Finnish league is not the Euroleague. The Euroleague is the best competition outside the NBA; the Finnish league is probably about NCAA Division III level based on the brief clips I've seen. Might be a bit better, or a bit worse, but definitely not Division I, whereas the Euroleague is better than Div I NCAA.

I'm just saying that we want him in a better league, and I think the better option is to have him in a league that is better than D-League and one that doesn't cost us cap space and let him prove himself there, rather than having him in Finland again.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#9 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:02 pm

I'm starting to become a serious advocate for signing PetKo and trading Sergio. Sergio will undoubtedly attract a ton of interest (Kings, Warriors, Magic) and teams might be willing to fork over some nice assets (first-round picks, for instance).
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
jhern87
Starter

Post#10 » by jhern87 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:03 pm

mojomarc wrote:
jhern87 wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding--the Finnish league is not the Euroleague. The Euroleague is the best competition outside the NBA; the Finnish league is probably about NCAA Division III level based on the brief clips I've seen. Might be a bit better, or a bit worse, but definitely not Division I, whereas the Euroleague is better than Div I NCAA.

I'm just saying that we want him in a better league, and I think the better option is to have him in a league that is better than D-League and one that doesn't cost us cap space and let him prove himself there, rather than having him in Finland again.

Aww.. I miss-read your post. I would be all for him playing in the Euro-league. Not the Finnish league tho. Rather have him in the D-league.
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#11 » by Telfaire » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:04 pm

What exactly is it that Kaponen needs to do in summer league to get a spot on this team? If KP watches him and has the slightest idea that he might be what the Blazers need in the slight near future is it worth signing him?

I would say, showing he's a better playmaker and defender than Bayless. That would make him a good complementary guard next to Bayless as well as our other guards.
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#12 » by Ripcity4life » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:04 pm

Its obvious that this Summer league is big for Koponen but also for Sergio. Sergio's future also could be decided too and he is not even there to argue his case cause he is pouting. The only thing Sergio has going for him is the Rudy factor and some may discount it but i believe its the reason .. ONLY reason Sergio is still a Blazer. If Koponen plays as well as Sergio would have then Sergio will go from PG to Rudy's transition coach and maybe even worse .... Ex-Blazer.
SinceClyde
Pro Prospect
And1: 5

Post#13 » by SinceClyde » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:59 pm

Maybe it's just my short attention span, but I'm done with sergio and want to see PK. Here's hoping for a good summer league.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#14 » by Billy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:26 pm

Sergio has shot himself in the foot iMO. To bad, I think he could have a good future in this league. Mentally I'm not sure if Sergio is ready for the NBA. At this point Portland needs to move on. Wish the kid the best, but he's not going to be much more than a backup here anymore.

Petko intrigues me for a couple reasons. First and most importantly I want a Playboy's jersey and I think I'm more likely to convince my wife of it's importance if I can point to it being an old jersey of a current Blazer.

Secondly, and certainly least important is the fact that he seems to have the size needed to play both guard spots. His size should be very helpful if a team ever tries to run a big guard at the Blazers for an extended period. Not to mention that having a big guard gives you lots of flexibility.

Also, while I have no doubts of Bayless finding success at this level, bringing in Kop now will make things possible for a smooth transition if Bayless doesn't live up to expectations and Portland is still in need of a point guard. Having him fully aware of the plays, players, culture and atmosphere would allow him to jump in right away in such an event. Also if he simply is able to out play Bayless that would be fine too.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,534

Post#15 » by zzaj » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:54 pm

IMO it would be foolish to let PetKo sign for a big Euroleague team...especially if that deal was for 3 or more years. Even though that big time competition would be good for him, he'd be joining the team during the prime "competing for a championship" years. Ostensibly, the Blazers will have moved on and the PG situation will be figured out and solid by that time.

Simply put, he wants to be here, he has potential, there's room for him and he is an asset in future trades.
SinceClyde
Pro Prospect
And1: 5

Post#16 » by SinceClyde » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:13 pm

Let's not forget, PK has a skill set like Sergio's. He is a great passer and a pass-first attitude (I think I read that on realgm.com).

Remembering him in last years VSL, he didn't really get his feel for the game. MB and quick said it was because he was playing out of position (SG instead of pg) so maybe that will make things better.

If he can knock down a lot his shots, play decent defense, and make some great passes...anything is possible.
Since Clyde The Glide
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#17 » by TBpup » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:19 pm

The Playboy has already shown a nice shooting touch in the 'pressure situation drills' Coach Williams has them working through. It also looks like he could be a good 94' defender for his size. He still needs to develop in his feel for the game, spacing nuances and individual teammate tendancies, but I agree that he will be the most intriguing storyline in SL.

Speaking of teammates, wait till you see Batum. He has tremendous length. Very Pippen/Prince like in his build. When he is fully extended with his arms up, he is going to create some obstacles for whoever is trying to shoot over him.

'Pup
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,850

Post#18 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:16 am

I'm on record as saying that I like the idea of having a 6-5 developmental PG on the
roster but we can have 3 guards on the roster who have no NBA experience ( Rudi,
Bayless and Koponen) along with a guy who struggled last year in Sergio.

Unless the team viewed Martell as our third guard, we need to make a trade for a
veteran guy who would give us some decent minutes in the first half of the season
while Rudi and Bayless are brought along. I was wondering if a trade such as moving
JP to OKC for Ridenour would be so bad if Frye was indeed making the biggest
step forward in fall camp as was suggested.
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#19 » by TBpup » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:34 am

I'm on record as saying that I like the idea of having a 6-5 developmental PG on the
roster but we can have 3 guards on the roster who have no NBA experience ( Rudi,
Bayless and Koponen) along with a guy who struggled last year in Sergio.

Unless the team viewed Martell as our third guard, we need to make a trade for a
veteran guy who would give us some decent minutes in the first half of the season
while Rudi and Bayless are brought along.

norm...if we were close to contending even for a spot in the WCF, I would agree. However, I think this year is still about development, finding out how all the new players fit together and which of the new younsters is ready to step up.

:starwars
@TBpup22
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#20 » by Agenda42 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:20 am

TBpup wrote:norm...if we were close to contending even for a spot in the WCF, I would agree. However, I think this year is still about development, finding out how all the new players fit together and which of the new younsters is ready to step up.

I'm with you here. Basically, I think a playoff spot would be nice, but we are looking to shake out what our championship contending lineup will be this season. It's pretty clear that Roy, Aldridge, and Oden make 3 of the spots. Will Outlaw be the 3 or the starting 6th man? Can Bayless run the point full time? How does Rudy fit into the backcourt picture?

This is the year to get the answers to all our questions about potential versus performance, and then to sign a big time free agent to fill the biggest hole we have after the season. All the guys on 95.5 are unhappy we're not trying to be more active in this year's free agent market, but I think we've got exactly the right strategy going here.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers