Koponen outlook

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,848

Re: Koponen outlook 

Post#21 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:52 am

Agenda42 wrote:
TBpup wrote:norm...if we were close to contending even for a spot in the WCF, I would agree. However, I think this year is still about development, finding out how all the new players fit together and which of the new younsters is ready to step up.

I'm with you here. Basically, I think a playoff spot would be nice, but we are looking to shake out what our championship contending lineup will be this season. It's pretty clear that Roy, Aldridge, and Oden make 3 of the spots. Will Outlaw be the 3 or the starting 6th man? Can Bayless run the point full time? How does Rudy fit into the backcourt picture?

This is the year to get the answers to all our questions about potential versus performance, and then to sign a big time free agent to fill the biggest hole we have after the season. All the guys on 95.5 are unhappy we're not trying to be more active in this year's free agent market, but I think we've got exactly the right strategy going here.

Ordinarily, I would agree but it does not take much to see we have a roster problem
with our back court having at least three developmental players in which two of them
having no NBA experience and a third who really struggled last year. If Koponen shows
he belongs, we have three guards on our roster with no NBA experience

With the arrival of Rudi and the drafting of Bayless, what we really need is a solid third
guard with NBA experience which would allow us to not force Rudi and Bayless into
heavy minutes when they may not be ready. I'd feel better if Rudi were around for the
summer program and informal practices but it's likely he's going to be behind after
playing in the Olympics, having to adjust to a new country and team mates.

I could envision the team moving JP if Frye really showed he deserved minutes in
fall camp and Oden demonstrated his knee was sound. Trading for a guy like
Ridenour who has five years experience and is signed through the 09/10
season, would allow the Rudi, Bayless and perhaps Koponen some valuable time
to develop. Luke might welcome a trade to stay in the NW while JP would get
more playing time and be closer to his home in Minnesota.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#22 » by BlackMamba » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:33 am

well, let's see how he does in the summer league. that might not be his real level, or it could be, and decide if the blazers want to sign him or not.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 310

Post#23 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:10 am

Worst case scenario is that the new guys at guard aren't ready for minutes and neither is Sergio. Instead, Roy, Blake, and Webster cover the minutes. It's not what I expect, but so what.

More likely, the best player in Europe has crossed the pond and will deserve minutes. That a highly acclaimed, athletic one and done will earn minutes. That a guy who KP says makes him "tingle" to watch him will get his act together and is working on his game in Gran Canaria with a Blazers shooting coach.

The back court is better situated than it was last year just by adding Rudy and Bayless instead of Jack. Any argument with that?

Petteri Koponen would be great to sign if he's ready. Players who are number 15 are developmental, are injured, or are insurance. I'd rather have him go overseas and play for a good Euro team and sign Livingston. If Koponen doesn't return until age 24 or 25, that's okay. If he makes it this summer ... wow ... even better. But I expect Sergio to improve and for Bayless to do just fine. The PG I expect to see traded next summer is Steve Blake.
8-)

Return to Portland Trail Blazers