Oregonian Article...Outlaw fans, try not to drool

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Re: Oregonian Article...Outlaw fans, try not to drool 

Post#21 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:30 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:I tend to be an outlaw fan as well, but this doesn't leave me drooling (well, no more then my usual condition)

that travis appears to be fully committed to being a better player in better shape: Great!

that it took till essentially his 6th off-season for the light to go on: not so great.

You're being pretty unfair to him; remember what he was six years ago? He was a shell of a basketball player and he very well could've stayed just that. If anything, we should be lucky that the incandescent bulb in his head is beginning to fire up.

I don't think so. The article sure makes it seem like this is the first summer he made a full commitment to not only stay in shape, but also work on his individual weaknesses. Now it's true that some of those 'weaknesses' becames much more apparent as Travis's role on the team expanded, but that still doesn't completely excuse an apparent lack of focus he's had during previous off-seasons.

If he had this type of off-season commitment 4 yeas ago, where would he be now as far as level of play? Of course, KP might not have been able to sign him to such a team-friendly contract in that event.

Anyway, I have been a Travis booster, and I'm glad he working hard this summer. I just wish it would have happened 2 or 3 summers ago.
blazerduck24
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#22 » by blazerduck24 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:26 pm

I'm not really worried about the amount of workouts as much as I am that he can't dribble with his left. Does this seem odd to anyone else? I mean, he is an NBA player and he can't dribble with his head up or with his offhand. That just seems ridiculous to me. I don't blame Travis as much as his coaches growing up. Did they just shirk their responsibilities as teachers of the game because they found an athletic freak of a kid? I learned to dribble with my head up and with my off hand in like 4th or 5th grade. It seems a little strange that it has taken until his 6th year in the NBA to learn these skills.

Another thing that surprised me a little was the idea of him as an all-star. Don't get me wrong, I like Travis but I probably wouldn't rank as one of his most devoted supporters. I have never thought of him as our answer at SF. I think Martell has a more complete skill set. But if both he and our coaches think his potential is as an all-star... maybe I'm wrong.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#23 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
PhilipNelsonFan wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:I tend to be an outlaw fan as well, but this doesn't leave me drooling (well, no more then my usual condition)

that travis appears to be fully committed to being a better player in better shape: Great!

that it took till essentially his 6th off-season for the light to go on: not so great.

You're being pretty unfair to him; remember what he was six years ago? He was a shell of a basketball player and he very well could've stayed just that. If anything, we should be lucky that the incandescent bulb in his head is beginning to fire up.

I don't think so. The article sure makes it seem like this is the first summer he made a full commitment to not only stay in shape, but also work on his individual weaknesses. Now it's true that some of those 'weaknesses' becames much more apparent as Travis's role on the team expanded, but that still doesn't completely excuse an apparent lack of focus he's had during previous off-seasons.

If he had this type of off-season commitment 4 yeas ago, where would he be now as far as level of play? Of course, KP might not have been able to sign him to such a team-friendly contract in that event.

Anyway, I have been a Travis booster, and I'm glad he working hard this summer. I just wish it would have happened 2 or 3 summers ago.

It's not JUST about skill development though. You basically touched on it; his role on the team increased with his developing skills. The thing is, once his role started expanding, his basketball IQ didn't keep up, and we know how many players have suffered from great skills without the werewithal to use them. That was Outlaw for his first couple of years. He had no idea what the f**k he was doing.

So I see your point, but I still think you're oversimplifying things from your armchair. And don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's very comfy. But we can't do Travis' job for him and we can't develop him into the All-Star we envision him to be.
PacificBlazer
Starter
And1: 128

Post#24 » by PacificBlazer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Travis is so cool. I actually enjoy his interviews because he is so shy and humble it makes me laugh. Can't wait for more highlights from him this season!!
Oh hi Realgm

Return to Portland Trail Blazers