ImageImage

Rumor: Hinrich to Blazers

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Re: Rumor: Hinrich to Blazers 

Post#41 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:08 pm

BlackMamba wrote:ok, for everyone that is saying that hinrich is not the option and that the blazers can get something better, please name them or list them, thanks.

you know...with all the talk about Hinrich being good at defense, maybe the Chargers should trade for him
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#42 » by mojomarc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:13 pm

That's cold, Wiz.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#43 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:24 pm

mojomarc wrote:That's cold, Wiz.

nahhh...I'm a charger fan from even before the Fouts era...back when they were known as the San Eigo Chargers..."there's no 'D' in san diego"...looks like that era is back.

between Chargers and Ducks football, and the way the blazers started the season...defense is just a rumor
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#44 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:26 pm

Hinrich
Roy
Fernandez
Aldridge
Oden

^^^ That looks pretty good to me.

As a Bulls fan I an tell one thing about Kirk ...he's gonna fit like a glove with Nate's coaching style and defense emphasis.

If Fernandez gets to playing even some basic D, that starting five is dangerous.

There's also the added advantage that Kirk can spell significant minutes at the 2 guard. He is in reality a combo guard and that works well to the Blazers advantage.
For love, not money.
Walton'sBeard!
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#45 » by Walton'sBeard! » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:41 pm

BlackMamba wrote:ok, for everyone that is saying that hinrich is not the option and that the blazers can get something better, please name them or list them, thanks.

As much as I dislike this idea, Mamba makes a good point. Portland could use an upgrade at the PG and there a not many options out there. We may just have to take what we can get and like it.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#46 » by NBAMAN2006 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:43 pm

I love the idea of Hinrich, and would probably do that deal.

The thing is, I dont like the tandem of Kirk and Blake at PG. I like rotations that provide different skillsets, and these two are just far too similar. If we could find a way to keep Sergio, and instead send out Blake and a few 2nd rounders, I would do the deal. There is just a far better complimentary situation with Kirk/Sergio rather than Kirk/Blake. Also, it seems that Blake would be a better fit in Chicago, as I would think a veteran PG who is content with low minutes could really help mentor Rose a bit.

Kirk & Simmons for Raef, Blake and our 2009 highest 2nd rounder. I like that deal alot more. It would have to happen around the trade deadline, after Kirk proves he hs bounced back from his injury.

Still, its the type of 'buy low' situation I assume KP loves, and I would do it with Sergio or Blake included.
a_sensei
Analyst
And1: 658

Post#47 » by a_sensei » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:47 pm

I think you make this happen if you can. Hinrich was nearly an all-star and made team USA playing in Skiles system. He'd be perfect for Nate. Last year he was only slightly better than Blake, but that team was a mess. This year he came into the season playing out of position. As others have pointed out, it doesn't kill our cap space plan and I cannot imagine getting much more for Raef's contract. I have no problems giving up Sergio who will never fit with Nate.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by NBAMAN2006 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:53 pm

I like Spykes idea in the Trade Board forum. Follow this deal up by offering Webster, Frye, Blake and a 2009 protected 1st for Turk. A high price to pay, but it really, really clears up our rotation of any glut what-so-ever and secures another clutch, veteran type who isnt on the wrong side of 30, yet.

PG- Kirk Hinrich/Jerryd Bayless
SG- Brandon Roy/Rudy Fernandez
SF- Hedo Turkoglu/Nicolas Batum
PF- LaMarcus Aldridge/Travis Outlaw
C- Greg Oden/Joel Pryzbilla

Starters and Rudy get 30+ minutes, Outlaw ~20, Joel ~15, Batum and Bayless 10-15.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#49 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:55 pm

a_sensei wrote:I think you make this happen if you can. Hinrich was nearly an all-star and made team USA playing in Skiles system. He'd be perfect for Nate. Last year he was only slightly better than Blake, but that team was a mess. This year he came into the season playing out of position. As others have pointed out, it doesn't kill our cap space plan and I cannot imagine getting much more for Raef's contract. I have no problems giving up Sergio who will never fit with Nate.

if this came about Sergio may wonder what he was complaining about while in portland. Rose will be playing 38-40 minutes a game at PG for the Bulls. Sergio will get less playing time there then in portland.

It also makes one wonder if Sergio's increased playing time over the last 3 games was due to complaints, circumstances, or giving Bulls' scouts an opportunity to evaluate him.
Yangsing
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by Yangsing » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Can the Blazers trade Blake instead of Sergio please?
Nonstop
Pro Prospect
And1: 294

Post#51 » by Nonstop » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:02 pm

Nonstop's thought bubble wrote:Can the Blazers trade Blake instead of Sergio please?
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#52 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:03 pm

NBAMAN2006 wrote:I like Spykes idea in the Trade Board forum. Follow this deal up by offering Webster, Frye, Blake and a 2009 protected 1st for Turk. A high price to pay, but it really, really clears up our rotation of any glut what-so-ever and secures another clutch, veteran type who isnt on the wrong side of 30, yet.

PG- Kirk Hinrich/Jerryd Bayless
SG- Brandon Roy/Rudy Fernandez
SF- Hedo Turkoglu/Nicolas Batum
PF- LaMarcus Aldridge/Travis Outlaw
C- Greg Oden/Joel Pryzbilla

Starters and Rudy get 30+ minutes, Outlaw ~20, Joel ~15, Batum and Bayless 10-15.

it's not a bad idea, and I like Hedo for the blazers.

Of course they very well may be able to land him for cap-space without the trade, saving those 'assets' for other deals.

don't underestimate blake's value with his contract as a factor. If portland wanted to maximize cap-space they may be able to package blake (or webster or outlaw for that matter) with the 2009 1st round pick and trade to a team with a trade exception with the return being a couple of future firsts. Portland would gain 4 million in space, keep the 2009 pick from reducing cap-space in exchange for future picks, and gain a 4 million TPE that would last till the next draft day. Remember that both blake and outlaw will have expiring contracts. Those would be excellent leverage in working with a team that wanted 2010 cap-space for the LeBron sweepstakes.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#53 » by BlackMamba » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:05 pm

mojomarc wrote:That's cold, Wiz.

:(
SoHo
Sixth Man

Post#54 » by SoHo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:12 pm

I actually do see some benefit to trading Sergio in this deal and doing it sooner rather than later. If we move Sergio then we still have Blake to start until Hinrich is recovered from his injury. If we traded Blake our PG rotation becomes Sergio and Bayless until January...ouch.

Not only that, but moving Sergio now before Hinrich is ready to come back gives us two advantages.

We get to see how Bayless can perform and that gives us a head start on the decision of keeping or moving Blake. If Bayless can play well in the ten minutes a game that he gets in place of Sergio then we're more likely to look into moving Blake or potentially not picking up his option at the end of the year. Otherwise we have less opportunity to evaluate that situation and might make a mistake with Blake.

Second, it gives Hinrich an opportunity to learn the system before he plays in it. PG is not an easy position to play and it's most certainly the hardest to adjust to for a new team. Letting Hinrich recover and get acquainted with our offense during that time could make his comeback that much more successful.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by NBAMAN2006 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:34 pm

It would still really hurt for me to see Sergio traded. These last 3 games, he has played very well.

19mpg, 4.3ppg, 4.3apg, 1topg.

Think of how stagnant our offense will get without a guy like Sergio to come in and up the tempo a bit. I think it will be a noticable change.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#56 » by Mr Odd » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:44 pm

Milkdud wrote:Kirk is currently putting up Steve Blake #'s at like 5 times the price. Why on earth would the blazers been that interested?

+1

KP can use Raefs contract along with a
player to get someone better then Kirk.

Besides, look where this rumor came from.. .
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#57 » by girlygirl » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:11 pm

Soulyss wrote:Couple of Points:

1. Hinrich isn't the defensive player he once was, and honestly you can argue if he's really that good of a defensive player in the first place. Although I think Hinrich is more of a "Nate" PG.

2. I don't see KP giving up Raef's contract until the last second of the Trade Deadline unless the deal is too good to be true, the reported deal isn't close to "Too Good to be True". so I think it's a bunch of "Bull". It's too valuable to either get a impact back or be the third party in a big trade and get a quality piece or pick.

3. Hinrich is hurt, and I don't see the Blazers trading for someone who's hurt.

I'm probably the biggest Kirk Hinrich fan around -- well, the biggest fan of his who's never actually even met him.

Hinrich made 2nd team All-Defensive team just 2 seasons ago. And before he got hurt he was playing excellent defense this season -- he totally shut down Steve Nash for instance. His defensive PER this season is 7.0, which is ridiculously good (15 being average, lower numbers are better). By comparson, Blake's defensive PER is well below average at 18.0, while Roy (17.0) and Fernandez (19.2) are also well below average.

However, I'm not sure why the Blazers would trade a reserve guard who barely plays for a player who -- once he is healthy -- will be expecting to play 25-30 MPG. The Blazers would have an even bigger logjam in the backcourt than they do now. So unless KP has another trade lined up that would get rid of one of the other guards (Blake or Bayless most likely), I don;t know what the point of this deal would be.

Also, I think that it would make sense not to make this trade until February, when Hinrich will be able to play again. Why trade for someone who's hurt?
Just Justin
Ballboy

Post#58 » by Just Justin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 pm

ugh, thanks but no thanks.
"It was good for me to finally be home,'' Oden said. "Just to be home and finally have my people see me play was great.''
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#59 » by d-train » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:47 am

I don't mind exchanging unwanted castoffs with the Bulls if they are ready to discard Hinrich but only after we matchup contracts. I'm not in favor of trading expiring contracts for a bad 4-year contract. As others have mentioned, I'm also not crazy about trading for an injured player.

Also, I prefer Gordon over Hinrich. If Bulls can't dump Hinrich's contract, then the Bulls can't outbid the Blazers this summer for Gordon's services. So, saying no to Hinrich now will help us get a better player later.

To make a deal for Hinrich the Bulls have to take Przybilla and one of (Blake or Webster). The problem with trading Blake is Hinrich is injured and we need Blake if Hinrich can't play.

Beside, this deal is obviously BS started by Bulls fans that are scared to death of losing Gordon this summer. Ben Gordon is going to look very good in a Blazers uniform.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#60 » by boogydown » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:53 am

d-train wrote:I don't mind exchanging unwanted castoffs with the Bulls if they are ready to discard Hinrich but only after we matchup contracts. I'm not in favor of trading expiring contracts for a bad 4-year contract. As others have mentioned, I'm also not crazy about trading for an injured player.

Also, I prefer Gordon over Hinrich. If Bulls can't dump Hinrich's contract, then the Bulls can't outbid the Blazers this summer for Gordon's services. So, saying no to Hinrich now will help us get a better player later.

To make a deal for Hinrich the Bulls have to take Przybilla and one of (Blake or Webster). The problem with trading Blake is Hinrich is injured and we need Blake if Hinrich can't play.

Beside, this deal is obviously BS started by Bulls fans that are scared to death of losing Gordon this summer. Ben Gordon is going to look very good in a Blazers uniform.

Considering Gordon plays SG, and not PG at all, why would he sign with Portland when he knows he will fight for minutes. Roy and Rudy are SG's, plus you have Webster. I doubt KP will waste money on Gordon when he has 4 other players who he will need to pay the max to. You can go over the salary cap sure, but once you start going over 90 to 100 million without having a winning team, you're just wasting money and no owner from Cuban to whoever should do that.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers