ImageImage

Blazers not looking for a PG after signing Hedo?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Re: Blazers not looking for a PG after signing Hedo? 

Post#21 » by Sinobas » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:38 am

That's ok I guess, as long as Bayless brings it(and I think he will).

I'd still like to see us move Blake and Outlaw for Hinrich though, just to improve the perimeter defense and add some toughness. Then trade Webster and renounce Kopo to make room for a PF.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#22 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:50 am

I was wondering if this wouldn't happen, and it could be due to several things

first and foremost...there may not be any PG's available. that would kind of make all the yapyap a moot point.

then factor in KP's reluctance to trade any of his young players

And I'm also guessing that blazer brass thinks Blake's 3pt shooting will be a valuable asset with Roy and Hedo running things

But if nothing else happens, this is a chemistry disaster waiting to happen. It's bad. Far too many players deserving minutes and wanting minutes. And now, without a PG change, it make getting bayless playing time a critical factor moving forward. And that means that the PG position will be harder to use as a relief valve to squeeze out a few extra minutes for Roy and Rudy
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#23 » by Mr Odd » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:50 am

Right, with Hedo, the Blazers PG trouble is
a bit less specially on the offensive end. I
also agree getting Hinrich now that Ben is
gone from the Bulls might be tough to do.

Theres not a ton of defensive minded PGs
out there that can knock down the 3 that
the Blazers could get with a trade. Hmm.. .

Would be great if Bayless becomes that.
He sure has the potential, no doubt!!
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#24 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:52 am

CB-Blazer wrote:The question is, how will we sign a back-PF without capspace?

If we sign Hedo and a couple of other guys for the minimum I believe we could get the MLE to use on a backup 4 but I'm not sure on that one.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#25 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:55 am

if the blazers sign hedo there is no need for outlaw and martell/batum.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Mr Odd » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:55 am

Yep, I also think theres to many players
that are good enough to demand mins.
KP has to thin the roster out a bit.
Even the nicest players have egos.

Mmm.. .eggos.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#27 » by Soulyss » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:55 am

Spykes wrote:That was the latest bit of news from Quick. In his latest interview on 1080 just a few minutes ago, Quick said that Portland may not upgrade their PG spot after signing Hedo. He said he got strong indications from Nate and KP that the Blazers will focus the rest of the summer on signing a backup PF and basically leave the PG position alone. He said KP and Nate like Hedo's ability to handle the ball and run the pick and roll so much that it really mitigates the need for a better PG.

Thoughts on this?

I think the main reason is I think we will see a lineup of Roy/Rudy/Turk/LMA/Oden a lot. I am guessing roy playing about 16 mpg at the PG with Rudy and Turk sharing the ball-handling duties. I bet Nate's Rotation will look something like this:

PG: Blake 20/ Roy 16/ Bayless 12
SG: Roy 14 / Rudy 30
SF Turk 28 / Roy 4 / Batum / Martell / Outlaw 16
PF LMA 36 / Turk 4 / FA or Pendegraph 8 mpg
C Oden 28 / Joel 16 / LMA 4

I am guessing Nate will play small on occasion having LMA slide to the Center while Turk plays the PF to push tempo. The SF will be sorted out by some trade, it will be interesting to see who goes.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,843

Post#28 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:57 am

We still have a need for small, quick guard to balance out our Roy and Rudy
but I'd like to see if Mills can fit the bill if Bayless is not the answer.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Mr Odd » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:58 am

BlackMamba wrote:if the blazers sign hedo there is no need for outlaw and martell/batum.

Not for all three. You could do two.
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#30 » by Soulyss » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:00 am

Spykes wrote:I agree with everyone else that with Hedo, I really like Hinrich for the team. I'm OK with Blake on the offensive end of the floor with Hedo, so I don't have a problem that Hinrich doesn't add much on that side of the ball. The defensive difference between Blake and Hinrich would be a real nice upgrade tho.

Signing Powe could be a really interesting move. After his injury, we might be able to get him for a 1 year vet min deal.

I agree, I really like Hinrich in the back-court with Hedo and Roy... Hopefully it happens for some of our SF extras.

Powe is interesting but I would do it differently, Sign him for 3 years @ the minimum and have the last year be a Team Option.. You re-hab him all this year and see if he's useful the next year. If he makes a nice comeback, then you get him for a second year on the cheap, otherwise you cut and run. Even if he doesn't come back he will have good medical and a salary this year... I doubt he plays this year.
EGame
Head Coach
And1: 264

Post#31 » by EGame » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:00 am

I would love Kirk because he can hit the 3 like Blake but is better on defense (assuming we do sign Hedo). However, I can live with Blake, his 3 point shot will be big for us. This seems like this will be Bayless' one shot to try and prove he can show some things. He probably won't be your pure PG, but if he can get 4 or so assists a game with his playing time as well as limit the turnovers, show some defense like last year, and perhaps show a little bit of a more consistent outside shot he could be the one. It is a lot to ask though.
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#32 » by Soulyss » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:02 am

Mr Odd wrote:
BlackMamba wrote:if the blazers sign hedo there is no need for outlaw and martell/batum.

Not for all three. You could do two.

I expect two of those three to get delt, but probably not as a package.. (unless it's for Hinrich)

Travis to Memphis for a TPE and Heavily protected pick?

Martell to Toronto for the same?
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#33 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:12 am

If Hedo signs here, prepare for crap trade proposals for our SFs...
jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Post#34 » by jhern87 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:12 am

If we're not acquiring another PG it tells me the FO really has a lot of confidence in Bayless and his progression. Which is a good thing, I just hope it goes according to planned.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,984

Post#35 » by Chi town » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:37 am

Or it could be that if he does say they need/want/are going after a PG it raises the value of every PG in the league.

Obviously I am a Bulls fan, but POR is my 2nd favorite team. I grew up playing against Hinrich so I would like to see him on a team where he can shine and IMO if you guys sign Turk he would be the perfect fit. I think Kirk is the missing link and with the addition of him and Turk you guys could have the best record in the NBA next year and could take the Lakers too. I don't sleep on Roy, he's the man, and if given some more talent and help defensively (kirk) he will take over.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#36 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:44 am

yeah...that's possible

knowing KP's attraction to subterfuge, getting it out there that the Blazers don't want to do a PG upgrade might actually be a bargaining strategy
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#37 » by SabasRevenge! » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:47 am

Hinrich seems like an excellent option with Roy and Turkoglu. Our BBIQ would be off the charts and that team would be a joy to watch.

I also agree that we should pick up Powe. He showed that he is a rotation player on a very good team at the very least. He was in line for a pretty nice contract before his unfortunate injury, but now an inferior player (Davis) will get paid. Once healthy, he would be an ideal backup PF.

I really hope that we go hard after Kirk once the Hedo deal is done. Blake + Webster/Outlaw for Hinrich would be nice.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#38 » by Spykes » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:47 am

Chi town wrote:Or it could be that if he does say they need/want/are going after a PG it raises the value of every PG in the league.

Obviously I am a Bulls fan, but POR is my 2nd favorite team. I grew up playing against Hinrich so I would like to see him on a team where he can shine and IMO if you guys sign Turk he would be the perfect fit. I think Kirk is the missing link and with the addition of him and Turk you guys could have the best record in the NBA next year and could take the Lakers too. I don't sleep on Roy, he's the man, and if given some more talent and help defensively (kirk) he will take over.

I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say Kirk is a "missing link" for Portland, but you won't find anyone here who thinks he's a bad fit or not some sort of an upgrade over Blake.

That said, if the Bulls are unwilling to trade Hinrich for Blake and either Webster or Outlaw, then there's no deal to be made. They aren't giving up Rudy, Batum or Bayless to get Hinrich.

However, and this is just my personal opinion, I'd give up Bayless to get Hinrich if we keep Blake. Outlaw, Webster and Bayless for Hinrich and Gibson. I'd pull the trigger on that deal...

Hinrich/Blake
Roy/Rudy
Hedo/Batum
Aldridge/Gibson
Oden/Przybilla

Bulls probably don't do that tho.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,843

Post#39 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:49 am

Chi town wrote:Or it could be that if he does say they need/want/are going after a PG it raises the value of every PG in the league.

Thanks and I would like to add that the Bulls and the Houston Rockets were two of my favorite
teams after they both over achieved and competed so hard in last years playoffs. Your team
will probably be okay even with BG leaving for Salmons will step into a starting spot with
Hinrich available to play both spots.

I can see the Bulls and Blazers doing a deal for Hinrich really makes too much money to be
playing behind Rose.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#40 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:54 am

Spykes wrote:However, and this is just my personal opinion, I'd give up Bayless to get Hinrich if we keep Blake. Outlaw, Webster and Bayless for Hinrich and Gibson. I'd pull the trigger on that deal...

Hinrich/Blake
Roy/Rudy
Hedo/Batum
Aldridge/Gibson
Oden/Przybilla

Bulls probably don't do that tho.

aim higher, ask for James Johnson

Return to Portland Trail Blazers