ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,146

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu May 16, 2024 7:36 am

codydaze wrote:The guy I want the most in this draft is still Ryan Dunn. Measurables and athleticism at the combine all came out to be pretty similar to Aaron Gordon and that's the player I think he can become if he can develop an even passable jumpshot. I see his floor to ceiling as anywhere between Matisse Thybulle to Aaron Gordon.

Taking him at 13 might be a stretch and he's likely off the board by 45 so I'm hoping mostly to trade back from 13 for multiple 1sts. Knicks at 24 and 25 is my dream.

there's a fairly good chance he's still on the board. And if he is, there will probably be a tough choice to make between taking him or someone else given how deep this class is in role players. I don't think being unable to shoot is a death sentence for forwards like it is for guards anyway. Draymond makes it work. He could just be flying around, setting screens, diving off PnR and being a connective passer. He'd get easy baskets and his shooting could be hidden and wouldn't really impact spacing. And if he does improve his shooting then that's all the better.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,792

Post#42 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 16, 2024 8:27 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:I am never in favor of trades when a comparable talent is there to be drafted. Why trade for Mitchell or TimeLord with their injury history when we could get Missi or Bona who both impressed big time on the first day of the combine and both provide the exact things we need the most i.e. rim running, pick n pop, shot blocking and energy playing next to Sabonis or as backup centers? #13 might be high for them but what if we can trade back a little and pick up more assets in the process and still nab one of them?

Or why trade for the oft-injured Isaac when Ighodaro, da Silva, Salaun, Buzelis, Holmes, Klintman, Grant-Foster or Lewis are available at #13 or after trading back?

For that matter, why sign Monk when imho, straight up better players in McCain and Knecht might be available at #13? I always prefer to build through the draft. Players can grow up in your culture, they're cheaper, they establish roots in the community and are more apt to stay long-term. Us fans get to watch them develop, gel with the team and blossom. It's much more fun.

Besides, as others have pointed out, we've got nearly the worst assets to attack needs via trade of perhaps any team in the league.

What’s needed next to Sabonis is spacing and the lane cleared, not lob threats on O. Mitchell and Timelord have been bandied as Sabonis partners?

Straight up better players than Monk who have never played?

I agree about Isaac. Team needs concrete results not guesses at this juncture probably - injury history is one.

Straight up better players than a finalist for 6th man who is the teams emotional leader and putting up ~20/7 in starters minutes at the actual NBA level.

They are prospects

Sabonis can't defend and isn't a shot-blocker. We need size at the 4/5 alongside him that can handle those tougher defensive assignments. You're correct, in the past, with Sabonis unable to stretch the floor himself, having another big that couldn't stretch the floor next to him would clog the lane and wouldn't be good for Sabonis or the team as a whole.

Sabonis has now back to back seasons shooting a respectable 37% from three albeit on low volume. I'd like to see his attempts increase and more pick and pops from 15-18 feet as well. So Sabonis would be the one helping to spread the floor allowing another big to exist alongside him. And as important, when Sabonis is resting we'd have an actual center on the floor.

Yeah, better players than Monk. He is vastly overrated on here. They are the two best off-ball players in the draft. They would make people forget about Monk in a hurry. It's very possible they're both off the board making it a moot point. If we were pretenders with Monk making $10 million I'm not sure why paying him more helps us. If he can be replaced by more talented players for much cheaper that seems like a major win. 6MOY is won by guys on good teams that get starter usage. I'm confident Monk can be easily replaced whether it's by a draft pick or by in-house candidates.

Keon Ellis, with added playing time in April after Monk went down averaged 11-4-2 shooting 47% from three. We were good enough to remain in the hunt. Three times he got similar usage (12 FGA) Monk usually gets and he put up

19-5-6 (17 FGA)
16-6-1 (12 FGA)
26-6-5 (17 FGA)

I'm not saying Ellis is as good as Monk but it just shows how easy it is to replace that production and how overrated Monk is on here.

Yes, Sabonis can defend and has some of the best defensive metrics on the team actually. He doesn't block shots.

He's a good mid range and three point shooter, putting another player in the dunker's spot is still not optimal for him. And to boot, you still want Sabonis defensively playing center, you just want a shot blocker with him. You dont need Sabonis chasing 4s on the perimeter

The team didn't look good at all without Malik to end the season, and players, like Sabonis publicly, have shared that not only is Monk a good and improving pro, not prospect, but he's pretty important to team leadership. Sabonis cited Malik as the emotional leader. Being "pretenders" is fine, getting a lot worse potentially without Malik isnt.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,191

Post#43 » by OxAndFox » Fri May 17, 2024 3:57 am

Has anything stood out so far in the draft process to you?
Admittedly I'm just looking over a) my guys in Cody Williams and Yves Missi and b) the NBL Next Stars in Alex Sarr, Bobi Klintman, Ariel Hukporti, AJ Johnson and Trentyn Flowers...oh and Johnny Furphy.

Liked that Williams came in with over 7 foot wingspan. Missi still had decent measurables and would love to find a way to get both of them.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#44 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri May 17, 2024 7:24 am

BoogieTime wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
What’s needed next to Sabonis is spacing and the lane cleared, not lob threats on O. Mitchell and Timelord have been bandied as Sabonis partners?

Straight up better players than Monk who have never played?

I agree about Isaac. Team needs concrete results not guesses at this juncture probably - injury history is one.

Straight up better players than a finalist for 6th man who is the teams emotional leader and putting up ~20/7 in starters minutes at the actual NBA level.

They are prospects

Sabonis can't defend and isn't a shot-blocker. We need size at the 4/5 alongside him that can handle those tougher defensive assignments. You're correct, in the past, with Sabonis unable to stretch the floor himself, having another big that couldn't stretch the floor next to him would clog the lane and wouldn't be good for Sabonis or the team as a whole.

Sabonis has now back to back seasons shooting a respectable 37% from three albeit on low volume. I'd like to see his attempts increase and more pick and pops from 15-18 feet as well. So Sabonis would be the one helping to spread the floor allowing another big to exist alongside him. And as important, when Sabonis is resting we'd have an actual center on the floor.

Yeah, better players than Monk. He is vastly overrated on here. They are the two best off-ball players in the draft. They would make people forget about Monk in a hurry. It's very possible they're both off the board making it a moot point. If we were pretenders with Monk making $10 million I'm not sure why paying him more helps us. If he can be replaced by more talented players for much cheaper that seems like a major win. 6MOY is won by guys on good teams that get starter usage. I'm confident Monk can be easily replaced whether it's by a draft pick or by in-house candidates.

Keon Ellis, with added playing time in April after Monk went down averaged 11-4-2 shooting 47% from three. We were good enough to remain in the hunt. Three times he got similar usage (12 FGA) Monk usually gets and he put up

19-5-6 (17 FGA)
16-6-1 (12 FGA)
26-6-5 (17 FGA)

I'm not saying Ellis is as good as Monk but it just shows how easy it is to replace that production and how overrated Monk is on here.

Yes, Sabonis can defend and has some of the best defensive metrics on the team actually. He doesn't block shots.

He's a good mid range and three point shooter, putting another player in the dunker's spot is still not optimal for him. And to boot, you still want Sabonis defensively playing center, you just want a shot blocker with him. You dont need Sabonis chasing 4s on the perimeter

The team didn't look good at all without Malik to end the season, and players, like Sabonis publicly, have shared that not only is Monk a good and improving pro, not prospect, but he's pretty important to team leadership. Sabonis cited Malik as the emotional leader. Being "pretenders" is fine, getting a lot worse potentially without Malik isnt.

stop. Sabonis is not a good defender. We agree, we need a shotblocker next to Sabonis in two-big lineups and as his backup...guys like Missi and Bona. I'd trust them to guard 4s and on switches over Sabonis so problem addressed.

Monk being loved by his teammates is a moot point. We cannot afford to keep him. Depending on how and who we replace him with there's no reason to think we'd get worse since imo he's easily replaceable. We can either draft a SG and push Huerter to the 6th man role. Ellis or Jones can grow into the position. Or we can just draft someone specifically for that role as a direct replacement. Replacing Monk won't be difficult and won't be what is holding this team back. That would be the fact that Huerter and Barnes are JAGs and we need a shot blocker.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#45 » by BoogieTime » Fri May 17, 2024 8:11 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

19-5-6 (17 FGA)
16-6-1 (12 FGA)
26-6-5 (17 FGA)

stop. Sabonis is not a good defender. We agree, we need a shotblocker next to Sabonis in two-big lineups and as his backup...guys like Missi and Bona. I'd trust them to guard 4s and on switches over Sabonis so problem addressed.

Monk being loved by his teammates is a moot point. We cannot afford to keep him. Depending on how and who we replace him with there's no reason to think we'd get worse since imo he's easily replaceable. We can either draft a SG and push Huerter to the 6th man role. Ellis or Jones can grow into the position. Or we can just draft someone specifically for that role as a direct replacement. Replacing Monk won't be difficult and won't be what is holding this team back. That would be the fact that Huerter and Barnes are JAGs and we need a shot blocker.

stop with your blanket statements. Domas is a solid man and space defender at the 5 and has even had some rim metrics in the past, just not blocks.

I don't believe that there will be a non spacing center being played with Domas at all, but, if miraculously I'm wrong, I'd prefer the unsubstantiated Jarrett Allen rumors than some project kid without any offense (at least what I saw of Missi, which wasnt much). This team needs concrete answers, not draft guesses.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#46 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 18, 2024 12:22 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

stop with your blanket statements. Domas is a solid man and space defender at the 5 and has even had some rim metrics in the past, just not blocks.

I don't believe that there will be a non spacing center being played with Domas at all, but, if miraculously I'm wrong, I'd prefer the unsubstantiated Jarrett Allen rumors than some project kid without any offense (at least what I saw of Missi, which wasnt much). This team needs concrete answers, not draft guesses.

I prefer my blanket statements over yours 8-)

Getting a non-spacing big like Clingan, Edey, Allen, Missi or Bona is predicated on Sabonis becoming the spacer himself. Filipowski, Holmes and Ware theoretically can provide some spacing but none can really be counted on to block shots.
typedrat
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#47 » by typedrat » Sun May 19, 2024 12:02 am

Holmes averaged 2.3 SPG in college. That's why I'm so high on him.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#48 » by BoogieTime » Mon May 20, 2024 12:14 am

I guess I have to take back my adamance against the non spacing center thing. Now Vegas odds in favor of Valanciunas. I see it defensively, maybe. You have the Timberwolves, with moving KAT to PF as a template. I guess it helped out their D over KAT PF spacing concerns.. Maybe its hard to find that spacing PF/shot blocking unicorn type, that you need to do something else. I'm still of the believe it when I see it camp, but..
typedrat
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#49 » by typedrat » Mon May 20, 2024 6:52 pm

You can watch tape of the Lithuanian national team. It's not pretty.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#50 » by BoogieTime » Mon May 20, 2024 11:57 pm

typedrat wrote:You can watch tape of the Lithuanian national team. It's not pretty.

I thought the exact thing, and heard about the ill fit on that team. Dont know where those odds come from

https://kingsherald.com/articles/should-the-kings-pursue-jonas-valanciunas/
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#51 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 23, 2024 9:19 pm

Perusing the combine that Carrington kid came back with a weaker profile than advertised. 6’3.75 without shoes sho ain’t “6’6 frame with 6’9 wingspan” at nbadraft

That site is becoming weaker by the year. Half the profiles not even filled out
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun May 26, 2024 3:01 am

BoogieTime wrote:Perusing the combine that Carrington kid came back with a weaker profile than advertised. 6’3.75 without shoes sho ain’t “6’6 frame with 6’9 wingspan” at nbadraft

great size for a PG tbh
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#53 » by BoogieTime » Sun May 26, 2024 3:30 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Perusing the combine that Carrington kid came back with a weaker profile than advertised. 6’3.75 without shoes sho ain’t “6’6 frame with 6’9 wingspan” at nbadraft

great size for a PG tbh

Do you like him too?

Not sure I saw him as a pure PG at what little I saw
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#54 » by OGSactownballer » Yesterday 11:45 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

19-5-6 (17 FGA)
16-6-1 (12 FGA)
26-6-5 (17 FGA)

You have zero credence here.

I just read the assessment and metrics for Sabonis last night. They are incredible. His defensive rating is essentially second best in the league for Centers after Gobert.

Please check the actual numbers before you make those kind of grand gesture statements. Shot blocking is a nice extra bit overrated as a defensive metric. Defensive FG% tells the true tale.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,191

Post#55 » by OxAndFox » Today 12:35 am

Thought with the updates on players coming out of the draft etc it would be interesting to see what the mocks are saying. I won't put the names of the mocks at the top, but below are 13-15. Makes me want to pick McCain with so many saying the Heat would take him. LOL.

13 Ja'Kobe Walter
14 Cody Williams
15 Zach Edey

13 Tristan da Silva
14 Isaiah Collier
15 Jared McCain

13 Devin Carter
14 Kel'el Ware
15 Jared McCain

13 Devin Carter
14 Ja'Kobe Walter
15 Jared McCain