kingjawn100
Senior
And1: 106

Re: Kings Off-Season 

Post#61 » by kingjawn100 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:54 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
kingjawn100 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up that option from Hayes. Kayte mentioned the Kings have been looking at his development all year and him signing on wasn't some spur of the moment thing. James Ham predicted the Kings move that 2nd rounder and I could see them going for cash and a future 2nd if the 2nd round looks as shallow as it does on paper. The only players I like that might be 2nd to undrafted are Bonzie Colson, his teammate Matt Farrell, Rawle Alkins, Moritz Wagner, and a few others if I search deeper, but most of them play positions the Kings don't really need filled.

i don't see where the Nigel Hayes excitement is coming from. I realize from our ineptitude it doesn't take much to excite kings fans but this is a guy that 3 other teams gave up on this year...a guy who shot 8 for 28 in his 5 games with Sac.

Personally I like Hayes, I wanted the Kings to draft him. It comes from him being one of the only players that fits into the system they are trying to commit to. It's not always what you see directly that matters. He is a very smart player who knows about all the nuances that make Joergers offense and defense run. He picked up Joergers system in like 3 days and was in better position as a screener, help defender, and floor spreader than someone like Skal has been all year. Skal is more the type of player that positions himself to score, Hayes will position himself to create options for his teammates. I do think when he gets more comfortable them finding better shots for him will be much easier and he'll hit more. Just think about the circumstances here, the shots didn't go in, but how many bad shots did he take? I like him as a prospect outside of Dave Joergers system but he can be that role player rock for Joerger on the floor if they give him the chance.

But the guy you're describing is someone that can help the Kings keep winning 25ish games a year and pull off a couple April wins against tanking teams.

There are plenty of better players out there to occupy a roster spot. As Kings fans i don't think we have to accept these journeymen players and talk ourselves into them having potential (the same thing happened with Bruno on these boards). Not a lot to get excited about with Nigel.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Re: RE: Re: Kings Off-Season 

Post#62 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:23 pm

kingjawn100 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
kingjawn100 wrote:
i don't see where the Nigel Hayes excitement is coming from. I realize from our ineptitude it doesn't take much to excite kings fans but this is a guy that 3 other teams gave up on this year...a guy who shot 8 for 28 in his 5 games with Sac.

Personally I like Hayes, I wanted the Kings to draft him. It comes from him being one of the only players that fits into the system they are trying to commit to. It's not always what you see directly that matters. He is a very smart player who knows about all the nuances that make Joergers offense and defense run. He picked up Joergers system in like 3 days and was in better position as a screener, help defender, and floor spreader than someone like Skal has been all year. Skal is more the type of player that positions himself to score, Hayes will position himself to create options for his teammates. I do think when he gets more comfortable them finding better shots for him will be much easier and he'll hit more. Just think about the circumstances here, the shots didn't go in, but how many bad shots did he take? I like him as a prospect outside of Dave Joergers system but he can be that role player rock for Joerger on the floor if they give him the chance.

But the guy you're describing is someone that can help the Kings keep winning 25ish games a year and pull off a couple April wins against tanking teams.

There are plenty of better players out there to occupy a roster spot. As Kings fans i don't think we have to accept these journeymen players and talk ourselves into them having potential (the same thing happened with Bruno on these boards). Not a lot to get excited about with Nigel.

These plenty of other guys you speak of are either already employed or aren't for good reason. If they were out there waiting for a spot, playoff teams would have scooped them up. Hayes is an end of the roster guy that could become more. We'll bring in others to compete in camp but Hayes was someone we targeted as a guy that fits our system and our locker room so we jumped at the chance. I think he well be around next year. Now it's up to him on if he improves enough to make a difference and get minutes.

Now if you are talking about choosing between a guy like Hayes and a proven NBA contributer than of course you take the gut that proves to help the team more but I don't see Hayes spot as one that would deter our free agent plans.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#63 » by kingjawn100 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:41 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
kingjawn100 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

These plenty of other guys you speak of are either already employed or aren't for good reason. If they were out there waiting for a spot, playoff teams would have scooped them up. Hayes is an end of the roster guy that could become more. We'll bring in others to compete in camp but Hayes was someone we targeted as a guy that fits our system and our locker room so we jumped at the chance. I think he well be around next year. Now it's up to him on if he improves enough to make a difference and get minutes.

Now if you are talking about choosing between a guy like Hayes and a proven NBA contributer than of course you take the gut that proves to help the team more but I don't see Hayes spot as one that would deter our free agent plans.

But how bad is this team if Hayes is more than an end of the roster guy? Every single team passed on him in the NBA draft, he got cut by 3 teams this year and showed he can't shoot in his limited time with the Kings. Decent guy for G-league or in a late season tank but nothing more.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#64 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:53 pm

kingjawn100 wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
kingjawn100 wrote:

Now if you are talking about choosing between a guy like Hayes and a proven NBA contributer than of course you take the guy that proves to help the team more but I don't see Hayes spot as one that would deter our free agent plans.

But how bad is this team if Hayes is more than an end of the roster guy? Every single team passed on him in the NBA draft, he got cut by 3 teams this year and showed he can't shoot in his limited time with the Kings. Decent guy for G-league or in a late season tank but nothing more.

I just said that he was a end of the roster guy unless he improves. Dude either read and use true reading comprehension or just move on.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#65 » by kingjawn100 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:39 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
kingjawn100 wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

Now if you are talking about choosing between a guy like Hayes and a proven NBA contributer than of course you take the guy that proves to help the team more but I don't see Hayes spot as one that would deter our free agent plans.

I just said that he was a end of the roster guy unless he improves. Dude either read and use true reading comprehension or just move on.

You brought up the idea that Hayes could be MORE than an end of the roster guy. I explained how that would not be a positive thing for the Kings meaning if a guy like that ends up being a rotational player the talent level on the rest of the team must be pretty low.

Seems pretty simple to me lol
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#66 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 pm

kingjawn100 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
kingjawn100 wrote:

I like the versatility Hayes brings to the table on both ends, and in that sense there aren't a ton of players like him. He's a true combo F with the size, strength, and length to guard some centers. Dave Joerger immediately put him to work as the standout player he was in college, which is obviously more of a role player at the NBA level but one that can help a team grow and win games long term. The Kings have a ton of players looking for shots, Hayes will help that along.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,509

Post#67 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 pm

kingjawn100 wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
kingjawn100 wrote:

You brought up the idea that Hayes could be MORE than an end of the roster guy. I explained how that would not be a positive thing for the Kings meaning if a guy like that ends up being a rotational player the talent level on the rest of the team must be pretty low.

You still seem to be missing that point that he means if he improves. Once again, if he improves. You are only seeing this statement as him meaning he could be more than an end of the bench guy as the player he is at this very moment. Plenty of guys have been late bloomers to become solid rotation pieces later in their career. Hayes is only 23 years old.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#68 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:19 pm

codydaze wrote:
kingjawn100 wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

You still seem to be missing that point that he means if he improves. Once again, if he improves. You are only seeing this statement as him meaning he could be more than an end of the bench guy as the player he is at this very moment. Plenty of guys have been late bloomers to become solid rotation pieces later in their career. Hayes is only 23 years old.

Thank you cody.

Was just gonna post this. Yup simple indeed lol
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#69 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:43 pm

With players like Hayes it isn't always about the extent to which they improve, it's about finding the right team. Plenty of "lesser talented" players are considered vital to their teams success. He reminds me of James Johnson in a lot of ways on and off the floor. Johnson bounced around the league and eventually found the perfect situation for him. Hayes looked to be developing a 3 point shot in the G-league, he didn't hit many at the end of the year but if he can get that down I don't see how a team can't add him into their rotation. If he doesn't develop that then he has to find that right team and I think this could be it.

Hayes is a glue type. Someone that brings intangibles to a squad. I mentioned some above but I'll tell the main one that stuck out to me when watching him with the team, his swing passing. Bigs getting the ball up top and swinging over to a guard or wing in the middle is a foundational part of their system and Hayes has a knack for hitting that guard/wing right in their shooting stance zone. It's like a pitcher hitting the strike zone even if they don't have the best fast ball. Hayes is very good at swinging the ball in one motion and hitting that zone. The extra 1/3rd of a second you gain from something as seemingly pointless as that can mean the difference between getting a good shot off or not. He did the same thing at Wisconsin. What Joerger wants out of his big can actually be somewhat complicated because as in any motion system it relies on reading defenses, timing, and positioning. Hayes always seemed to be moving to where he needed to be when he needed to be there.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#70 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:01 pm

It means nothing to us but I really want the Heat to upset the Sixers.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#71 » by stinger14 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Would Kings fans be interested in MKG or Cody Zeller from the Hornets? Maybe even both?
OhioKingsFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#72 » by OhioKingsFan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 pm

I would not be interested in either MKG or Cody Zeller at their respective price tags. There would have to be something else coming to the Kings to sweeten the deal.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#73 » by kalenclayton » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:51 pm

OhioKingsFan wrote:I would not be interested in either MKG or Cody Zeller at their respective price tags. There would have to be something else coming to the Kings to sweeten the deal.
stinger14 wrote:Would Kings fans be interested in MKG or Cody Zeller from the Hornets? Maybe even both?

I think the Kings would be interested in both players, but it would totally depend on what he Hornets are looking for. Joerger would absolutely love MKG as he can play the Tony Allen role. The issue is that he can’t shoot and we already have a PG who struggles shooting.

What would the Hornets be looking for? The Kings would not be parting with any of Bogdanovic, Hield, Fox, Giles, or the 2018 1st at all.
stinger14
Starter

Post#74 » by stinger14 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:40 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
OhioKingsFan wrote:I would not be interested in either MKG or Cody Zeller at their respective price tags. There would have to be something else coming to the Kings to sweeten the deal.
stinger14 wrote:Would Kings fans be interested in MKG or Cody Zeller from the Hornets? Maybe even both?

I think the Kings would be interested in both players, but it would totally depend on what he Hornets are looking for. Joerger would absolutely love MKG as he can play the Tony Allen role. The issue is that he can’t shoot and we already have a PG who struggles shooting.

What would the Hornets be looking for? The Kings would not be parting with any of Bogdanovic, Hield, Fox, Giles, or the 2018 1st at all.

How does Labissiere, Randolph, Koufos, and a future top 10 protected sound? First would be protected for 3 years, then turn to 2 seconds.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by kalenclayton » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:00 pm

stinger14 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

How does Labissiere, Randolph, Koufos, and a future top 10 protected sound? First would be protected for 3 years, then turn to 2 seconds.

Trading future firsts for non-stars/salary relief is how we got in our current mess. We can’t do that unfortunately. I would actually say we can’t include any firsts.
stinger14
Starter

Post#76 » by stinger14 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:05 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
stinger14 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I think the Kings would be interested in both players, but it would totally depend on what he Hornets are looking for. Joerger would absolutely love MKG as he can play the Tony Allen role. The issue is that he can’t shoot and we already have a PG who struggles shooting.

Trading future firsts for non-stars/salary relief is how we got in our current mess. We can’t do that unfortunately. I would actually say we can’t include any firsts.

I figured that was coming....lol

To be honest, would you do the deal taking out the first and just adding your second this year.

Labissiere, Koufos, Randolph, 2018 2nd

For

MKG and Zeller
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#77 » by jazanetti » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:26 pm

stinger14 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
stinger14 wrote:

To be honest, would you do the deal taking out the first and just adding your second this year.

For

MKG and Zeller

Is it a joke?
MKG 's contract is bad. Zeller's contract us absolutely awful! Hornets need to add at least two 1st round picks to move them out.
I'd think about MKG+ something from Hornets for one of our expiriting contracts (Randolf, Shumpert, Kosta, Temple, if they won't use options).
And I'd never trade Skal unless we draft JJJ or Harry proves he's ready to play at NBA level.
Sent from my MI 3W using RealGM mobile app
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by kalenclayton » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:08 pm

jazanetti wrote:
stinger14 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Trading future firsts for non-stars/salary relief is how we got in our current mess. We can’t do that unfortunately. I would actually say we can’t include any firsts.

For

MKG and Zeller

Is it a joke?
MKG 's contract is bad. Zeller's contract us absolutely awful! Hornets need to add at least two 1st round picks to move them out.
I'd think about MKG+ something from Hornets for one of our expiriting contracts (Randolf, Shumpert, Kosta, Temple, if they won't use options).
And I'd never trade Skal unless we draft JJJ or Harry proves he's ready to play at NBA level.
Sent from my MI 3W using RealGM mobile app

I think MKG’s contract is just right. He just needs to be used correctly. He is a lockdown defender with a fantastic motor and does a lot of the little things. He just can’t shoot. I would personally love him on the Kings, but I would need assurance that Fox has developed more consistency with his jump shot. MKG would look wonderful next to Bogi and Buddy. You would just need your 4 and/or 5 to have range. MKG also helps Willie with a could of his deficiencies. He and Buddy can hit the boards greatly for their positions. MKG can hold his ground with post defense as well, so having a lineup like Fox-Buddy-Bogi-MKG-WCS looks pretty darn good.

Zeller is overpaid. I agree with that. He’s of the same caliber center as Kosta. Maybe even a little better and he’s younger. I think both are worth money, but it’s hard to pay that type of player in this era. I have softened on him after looking at his contract.

I would send Randolph + Skal for MKG. This only happens if the team drafts a 4/5 who can stretch the floor and defend the paint. Jaren Jackson, Wendell Carter, or Mo Bamba. If that doesn’t happen, it becomes really hard to do a trade like this.
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#79 » by kingjawn100 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:29 pm

I'm always fascinated by trade proposals on these forums. If we ok this trade what's the next step? Is the paperwork a mere formality at that point? Does Mitch Kupchak just need to sign off and we're good? lolol jk

But seriously for me that's a scary proposition having 2 non-shooters in our starting lineup + Willie, a guy who's improving, but i wouldn't call him a shooter at all (both he and MKG also have bad fg% around the rim). If you look at successful teams like the warriors, rockets and 76ers it seems they have 4 solid 3-pt shooters on the court at all times. I feel like these days that's the archetype to go by. If we believe in Fox just keep surrounding him with guys who can hit shots the same way philly has done Simmons.

For the Kings this seems like a lateral move. I like MKG's defense over skal/zbo but i think Joerger like's ZBo and Koufos to the point he'll probably just keep them and let them expire. If the Kings had even a semblance of a shot at the playoffs the 2nd half of last year i'm convinced Joerger would have played Zbo 30 minutes a nite.
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#80 » by kingjawn100 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Bogi torn meniscus...that’s not good.

Might explain why his play tailed off in 2nd half of year.

Return to Sacramento Kings