ImageImageImageImageImage

2021-22 General Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

BoogieTime
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,678

Re: 2021-22 General Thread 

Post#61 » by BoogieTime » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 am

I hope McNair stipulates what is going on behind the scenes with this clown ownership group in his interview tomorrow

IMO this ownership group is underwater with how covid hit their franchise sales, and their downtown projects haven't worked accordingly either

They cant afford several more years of this ticket sales, probably literally, which is why we are forgoing a rational rebuild

Still, if they can't afford the franchise the fans need to galvanize to make them sell
wco81
RealGM
And1: 6,191

Post#62 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:42 am

If there is a sale again, prospective owners may want to move the team, especially with markets like Seattle and Vegas available.
RipPizzaGuy
RealGM
And1: 8,183

Post#63 » by RipPizzaGuy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:02 pm

wco81 wrote:If there is a sale again, prospective owners may want to move the team, especially with markets like Seattle and Vegas available.

I think there was a long contract signed in Sacramento when we built the new arena. Just checked and it looks like a 35 year agreement. I don't believe new owners could just come in and make that contract disappear, but I'm not really sure.
simonbampfield
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,161

Post#64 » by simonbampfield » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:20 pm

BoogieTime wrote:I hope McNair stipulates what is going on behind the scenes with this clown ownership group in his interview tomorrow

IMO this ownership group is underwater with how covid hit their franchise sales, and their downtown projects haven't worked accordingly either

They cant afford several more years of this ticket sales, probably literally, which is why we are forgoing a rational rebuild

Still, if they can't afford the franchise the fans need to galvanize to make them sell

If they couldn't afford the team moving forward they would be telling Monte to sell off the higher contracts and get a rebuild going. They can easily sell it to the fans AND increase ticket sales at the same time. They know this, and yet they're still committed to adding talent to make the POs so I can't see this as the problem.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
simonbampfield
Assistant Coach

Post#65 » by simonbampfield » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:22 pm

wco81 wrote:If there is a sale again, prospective owners may want to move the team, especially with markets like Seattle and Vegas available.

Can we not equate 1 poster's opinion and then draw many a longbow to the Kings moving? It's ridiculous really.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:10 am

simonbampfield wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:I hope McNair stipulates what is going on behind the scenes with this clown ownership group in his interview tomorrow

If they couldn't afford the team moving forward they would be telling Monte to sell off the higher contracts and get a rebuild going. They can easily sell it to the fans AND increase ticket sales at the same time. They know this, and yet they're still committed to adding talent to make the POs so I can't see this as the problem.

The wiretap says that there is rising belief they will trade Barnes and/or Hield

It was rumored they kept Walton for financial reasons

I dont think fans will line up for a rebuild. Where does that happen? Come buy tickets we are going to lose to draft kids that will be better in three/four years?

But its true they kept a healthy payroll for this season. I'm thinking they actually thought this team would compete and not be bottom 5 in sales and weren't prepared for the lack of tickets this year

But I guess its all a guess
simonbampfield
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by simonbampfield » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:52 am

BoogieTime wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

The wiretap says that there is rising belief they will trade Barnes and/or Hield

It was rumored they kept Walton for financial reasons

I dont think fans will line up for a rebuild. Where does that happen? Come buy tickets we are going to lose to draft kids that will be better in three/four years?

But its true they kept a healthy payroll for this season. I'm thinking they actually thought this team would compete and not be bottom 5 in sales and weren't prepared for the lack of tickets this year

But I guess its all a guess

I mean if there is one fan base where ownership can go out and say "we've made some mistakes in the past, we acknowledge that, we tried to give the people of Sacramento a play off team, as have the players and coaching staff of the Kings, a team you all thoroughly deserve. We have learned some lessons, there can be no short cuts, we now know our path forward. We're not going to take short cuts, there isn't an overnight solution and we're committed to Monte and his team providing the best path for the Kings. We hope the best fans in the NBA stick with us and support our players as we not only work towards building a winning team, but a team Sacramento can be proud of."
Or something of the like. Take your pick on how harsh or soft you want to make it. Sacramento people will 100% support a full rebuild. I don't believe the lack of ticket sales is solely due to the team, some is to do with the current situation as it is largely league wide.

On the salary stuff. I think the ownership group was sick of paying coaches out. There are only so many coaches you can payout in a row. So yeah, no doubt Walton was kept because they didn't want to pay him out and I don't blame them.
I still would have loved to be in the meeting during the off season where I'm sure Monte was pleading with them to do so and then he could hire a coach of his choice. Let's see what type of coach he is thinking about and it better not be Mike D (I wonder what his relationship with him was like in Houston).
Anyway, any time a franchise can't pay for a team (hello Maloofs) they start selling everything off. I haven't seen anything to suggest this and keeping players like Barnes, Buddy, Bagley and giving Fox a max goes against that. Even when you look at last season, Barnes was a highly sought after player at the deadline and did the ownership group say, we can get cap savings from him, 20m out you go for this season?

Now, what you mention about the bottom five in sales, absolutely can come into it, so I do agree somewhat that it isn't ideal, but I think every ownership group is going through the same thing. I just don't believe the NBA and owners weren't aware of what the challenges were of moving forward. It was blatantly obvious you couldn't go straight into 2021-22 and stadiums would all of a sudden be full.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:06 am

Any coincidence Bagley, after coming off the best three game stretch in awhile, goes out with shoulder soreness?
simonbampfield
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by simonbampfield » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:25 am

Have been thinking of the coaching lately and noticed this is the third season Stacey Augmon, Lindsey Harding and Roy Rana have been on the staff, the former two with the titles player development.
Can anyone actually point to any improvement from our players in that time that they didn't do over the off seasons?
Sure there might be the odd move, but if you are part of player development I would think a large chunk of that should be towards getting young players good enough to be in the rotation. This needs to be a focus this off season, get people in that will make a difference.

I'm not sure how many of these are going to be the new coaches hires, but it would be better if Monte went out and got some of the best development coaches out there.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 588

Post#70 » by OGSactownballer » Yesterday 2:52 am

The primary and exceptional player development has been under Bobby Jackson in Stockton.

I see Doug and Bobby as the keys going forward.

Think about this for a minute. Who makes the best NBA head coaches. Former star players? No. It’s the guys like Kerr, Jackson, Tomjanovich, Pop, Sloan and the like. All these guys were guys who worked their asses off to be solid NBA players. They knew what it takes to have to do that and how to okay as a teammate and get everyone to buy into a teams concept of how they are going to build around their stars and what the roles are that need to be played. They are great motivators and teachers of not only players but also their own assistants and being guys in whose strengths help balance their own weaknesses.

Thisnis why I see those two having been brought into the fold as the future of our coaching. They are a legacy to our very best teams and have that factor of not having been anointed with a star mantle and therefore have the right mix of humble and know how to get there and the work required. They also have the energy and investment that engages players to buy into their system.

Return to Sacramento Kings