Draft Sharpe
23%

Total votes: 62

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,783

Re: Draft Thread - Kings move up to #4 

Post#81 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 19, 2022 11:58 pm

Only have seen 45 seconds to a minute and wasnt impressed with his athleticism or motor or moves (Sharpe). But I haven't had the urge to see more

I haven't studied the kids yet but I hope this pool starts getting bigger from what Im hearing as the redraft process rolls along to make this 4 pick a higher asset
BobbyJackson
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#82 » by BobbyJackson » Fri May 20, 2022 1:44 am

I think the ideal situation would be to trade Fox. Man, i dont want to harp on the past, but i'd love to be in a position to be building around the number 4 pick and Haliburton. Would have been able to draft Ivey and have 2 legit building blocks.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#83 » by BoogieTime » Fri May 20, 2022 2:00 am

BobbyJackson wrote:I think the ideal situation would be to trade Fox. Man, i dont want to harp on the past, but i'd love to be in a position to be building around the number 4 pick and Haliburton. Would have been able to draft Ivey and have 2 legit building blocks.

Team is kind of captive to his trade value. Its never been to the point where you could efficiently cut ties, so have to make the best with him as of now.
BobbyJackson
Ballboy

Post#84 » by BobbyJackson » Fri May 20, 2022 2:20 am

BoogieTime wrote:
BobbyJackson wrote:I think the ideal situation would be to trade Fox. Man, i dont want to harp on the past, but i'd love to be in a position to be building around the number 4 pick and Haliburton. Would have been able to draft Ivey and have 2 legit building blocks.

Team is kind of captive to his trade value. Its never been to the point where you could efficiently cut ties, so have to make the best with him as of now.

you are 100% right. i live in nj and i remember listening to sports talk radio were screaming to trade julius randle for fox. that would have been terrible value for us. hes such a weird player for me. hes clearly explosive and as fast as anyone in the league. he doesnt play defense and not a great outside shooter. hes elite getting to the basket. im hoping he has another level he can get to, and become a star player. unfortunately i just dont think he is someone you can build around as the main piece and make deep playoff runs with.

with all that said, i dont want to be a complete downer. im excited to see a full season of sabonis. i am a monte mcnair believer, and im thrilled to have moved up to the 4 spot.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#85 » by City of Trees » Fri May 20, 2022 2:47 am

Envious of Boston up by 30 tonight and doing it with a core they built through the draft: Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Williams.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#86 » by City of Trees » Fri May 20, 2022 5:37 am

KF10 wrote:
I don't view Sharpe as a wing in the first place.

His height and length are fine as a guard.

If the Kings are drafting Sharpe to play the 3, then they are doing it wrong.
Sharpe is so mysterious I honestly thought he was bigger and a wing

I believe Monte is going to play it safe if he keeps the pick. Keegan Murray will be a player Monte will look at to pair up with Sabonis.

Murray makes a ton of sense. If he's the guy I'd like to see them trade down.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,587

Post#87 » by LightTheBeam » Fri May 20, 2022 5:56 am

jazanetti wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jazanetti wrote:If that happens I'll be the happiest man in the world.
Paolo has everything to be franchise player. His floor is Tobaias at least.
I like Sharpe either, while it's so risky.
And I'd definitely say no to give up #4 for Grant or Collins.
Fox + #4 for Mitchell?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using RealGM mobile app

As someone who didn't watch enough college, can someone explain me the Paolo hype. I compared his stats to Marvin Bagely, Bagley was far superior in college.

They seem to have the same weakness. Only go one direction, bad defender, Inconsistent shooter. I get Banchero is the superior passer but what else am I missing? I have ptsd when it comes to this kind of duke big man.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
Banchero has nothing in common with Bagley. Tatum was much closer.

Please elaborate

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#88 » by City of Trees » Fri May 20, 2022 6:04 am

Read on Twitter

Eason feels like the late lotto guy who turns into an All Star
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#89 » by LightTheBeam » Fri May 20, 2022 6:16 am

City of Trees wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kings reddit is slowly convincing me for Ivey.

Draft ivey, trade mitchell for a pick in that range, draft Eason.

Trade Holmes + 37 for Washington + Plumlee.

Split MLE between Tyus Jones and Bruce brown.

Resign DDV if he doesn't get overpaid, no problem letting him walk.

Sabonis/Jones
Washington/Eason
Barnes/Brown
Ivey/Davis
Fox/Jones

BobbyJackson
Ballboy

Post#90 » by BobbyJackson » Fri May 20, 2022 8:45 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kings reddit is slowly convincing me for Ivey.

Draft ivey, trade mitchell for a pick in that range, draft Eason.

Trade Holmes + 37 for Washington + Plumlee.

Split MLE between Tyus Jones and Bruce brown.

Resign DDV if he doesn't get overpaid, no problem letting him walk.

Sabonis/Jones
Washington/Eason
Barnes/Brown
Ivey/Davis
Fox/Jones

yup im with you. to me ivey is the number 4 guy in this draft. this team is not good enough to worry about fit. if ivey doesnt fit with fox than maybe its time to move on from fox.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,455

Post#91 » by rpa » Fri May 20, 2022 10:16 pm

BobbyJackson wrote:yup im with you. to me ivey is the number 4 guy in this draft. this team is not good enough to worry about fit. if ivey doesnt fit with fox than maybe its time to move on from fox.

I think the Kings told us 1 of 2 things with the Haliburton trade:
Option 1: Fox is our guy and we'll go down with that ship if we have to
Option 2: We believe Fox is a really good player, but his mediocre (and sometimes outright garbage) player over the past 2 seasons has tanked his trade value to well below his talent level

Both says they aren't moving on from for Ivey--because (2) is 100% still true.

As for Ivey: I just don't get the love for him and some of the comparisons on him are just laughably bad. Examples:

nbadraft.net had him compared to Donovan Mitchell. OK, but Mitchell coming out of Louisville had legit defensive chops and a determination. Ivey ain't that.

"he's the Morant of this draft". No f'ing way. Morant was an elite playmaker. Quick, name the NCAA players who've averaged 20/10 over a season. I'll make it quick: Morant. That's it. Ivey had 3 assists. As a lead guard.

Ivey's a trap pick. He's a highlight reel player that, when you dig into the details, isn't very good at what leads to winning or good players. Everything about him screams "volume scorer on mediocre efficiency with little playmaking or defense".

If you followed the NCAA season this past year one thing that stuck out is where Ivey started and how he got to the finishing point. In December there were "holy ****, #1 pick LOCK!". He was out there shooting 44% from 3pt range and looking real good. But then what happened? Conference player (better opponents!) rolled in and his 3pt shooting dropped to 26% in February and March.

Basically I see Ivey as not a good enough playmaker to be a lead ball handler, but without the off ball attributes (shooting and defense) to strive as a secondary ball handler.
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#92 » by jazanetti » Sat May 21, 2022 6:51 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jazanetti wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
As someone who didn't watch enough college, can someone explain me the Paolo hype. I compared his stats to Marvin Bagely, Bagley was far superior in college.

They seem to have the same weakness. Only go one direction, bad defender, Inconsistent shooter. I get Banchero is the superior passer but what else am I missing? I have ptsd when it comes to this kind of duke big man.

Banchero has nothing in common with Bagley. Tatum was much closer.

Please elaborate

Banchero plays like a wing, not like bigman. He handles the ball and can create for himself on elite level already. His playmaking skills are good enough too. Bagley was never close to it playing only as rim runner.
The only thing they are similar - poor defensive instincts, while Paolo looks quicker and stronger.
Where're some worries about Paolo's decision making, but I saw the same when Tatum played at Duke.

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#93 » by KF10 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#94 » by BoogieTime » Sun May 22, 2022 5:15 am

KF10 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:6'5.25 in shoes is disappointing. That means he's actually 6'4 something. I wanted a bigger wing

I don't view Sharpe as a wing in the first place.

His height and length are fine as a guard.

If the Kings are drafting Sharpe to play the 3, then they are doing it wrong.

I don't think Monte is in the position where he has the privilege to swing for the fences and draft BPA. His job is most likely on the line since the Kings didn't made the play-in this past season. Vivek wants to see this team in the playoffs next season. Drafting Sharpe is a high-risk for Monte imo.

I believe Monte is going to play it safe if he keeps the pick. Keegan Murray will be a player Monte will look at to pair up with Sabonis.

If the pick is kept, I think someone 'like' Murray will be the direction of the franchise.

Im pretty sure the tone of the draft will be to win now, with no fluff. If no sufficient trades present themselves, which I believe will be sought out, the high floor of Murray might look very appealing, especially for this draft. I've literally only seen some Murray/Sharpe 1 minute highlights, but not hearing a lot of good things about this draft. Murray may just end up being 4th due to the paucity of talent in this non strong draft.

Also, what plays against Sharpe and other guards, for the win now GM/ownership/franchise, is the current team makeup. I think Monte is high on Donte, despite the fact that he has a lot of rehabbing to do. But more than that, if Davion continues his improvement, at some point you may see if Fox/Mitchell could work in tandem before one of them is moved. I don't peg Davion as a backup long term (who is better starting and has made clear he wants to start, which is why he didn't initially want to be drafted here). You could look to trade him, but I'm not sure his value, and I think his work ethic will lend itself to improvement.
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#95 » by jeffjtk1234 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:42 pm

4 for brogdon and 6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#96 » by LightTheBeam » Sun May 22, 2022 10:25 pm

jeffjtk1234 wrote:4 for brogdon and 6?

Ya if Murray is the pick, I'm fine with this. We have to include some salary, I'd prefer to do something like Harkless, Holiday, Len + 4 for 6 + Brogdan. I'd then s&t DDV wherever he wants to go so we can create a TPE. Trade Holmes for another forward (Washington, Morris, etc..). Use the MLE on Jalen Smith and Bruce Brown. #37 on best guard available.

Sabonis/Jones/Smith
Murray/Morris/Lyles
Barnes/Brown
Brogdan/Davis/#37
Fox/Mitchell

Wouldn't mind this team at all.

rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,455

Post#97 » by rpa » Mon May 23, 2022 6:08 am

Fun bit of data:

From the 2010 to 2018 draft (9 drafts--the final one being the guys that are due for extensions by this summer) I count 12 guards, 12 wings, and 21 bigs* taken in the top 5 picks (so 45 total players).

Of those 12 each the wings and guards yielded 6 all-stars apiece* for an average hit rate of 50%.

Ask me how many of the bigs made the all star team. Go ahead ASK ME!! 5* (that's a 24% hit rate)

Yeah, despite having 75% more total players they yielded fewer allstars. And when you look at that list the first thing that sticks out is that 2 of them were clear #1 picks in their year, a 3rd would have probably gone #1 if not for an injury (Embiid), and a 4th had an argument for #1 but for his attitude (big Cuz). So what's the point? Well, based on recent history you probably shouldn't be drafting a big in the top 5. If you do draft a big in the top 5 it better either be at #1 and/or a guy who has a really clear argument for #1.

* First caveat: Some of the bigs cold possibly go into the wings category since they have an argument for being able to play the 3 (but this isn't many of them.

* Guards: Wall, Kyrie, Beal, Oladipo, Russell, Young; wings: Wiggins, Simmons, Ingram, Brown, Tatum, Doncic

* Bigs: Cousins, Embiid, KAT, Porzingis, Davis
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,148

Post#98 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 23, 2022 9:50 am

I will reserve judgment until a little later but I would like the Kings to go against what they have indicated, somewhat.
I would like Monte to try and come away with both Keegan Murray and Tari Eason.
I think these two have the potential to be two of the top 5 players in this draft.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,148

Post#99 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 23, 2022 10:05 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jeffjtk1234 wrote:4 for brogdon and 6?

Ya if Murray is the pick, I'm fine with this. We have to include some salary, I'd prefer to do something like Harkless, Holiday, Len + 4 for 6 + Brogdan. I'd then s&t DDV wherever he wants to go so we can create a TPE. Trade Holmes for another forward (Washington, Morris, etc..). Use the MLE on Jalen Smith and Bruce Brown. #37 on best guard available.

Sabonis/Jones/Smith
Murray/Morris/Lyles
Barnes/Brown
Brogdan/Davis/#37
Fox/Mitchell

Wouldn't mind this team at all.

It would need to be expanded to include Holmes. So subtract Len maybe, add Holmes, and that gives enough money back. Maybe Pacers add #31 and '23 2nd.
Doubt the Pacers want Holmes as well so he might need to go elsewhere.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#100 » by City of Trees » Mon May 23, 2022 10:57 pm

James Hamm says the rumor coming out of Chicago is Sacramento has already moved up to #2. Hamm believes it would be a similar deal to the Dallas/ATL trade for Luka. #4/ 2023 1st top 5 protected for #2. If Orlando drafts Jabari look for OKC to move down.

Return to Sacramento Kings