2023-24 General Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,276

Re: 2023-24 General Thread 

Post#241 » by OxAndFox » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:00 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:Regarding Sasha. Old mate play by play mentioned something that I wouldn't be surprised. Didn't say it was fact, but typically if a player doesn't get on the court in a blowout like that and you're the only one it's because the coaches don't believe you're doing the work required.
Not suggesting that is it. But there is something there. It's not defense. Players are continually getting blown by game after game and it does not affect their playing time. It's not his offense, he is a great fit in this offense particularly with Domas. So what is it?

Some people, and the COY agrees, he isn't good.

That's not to say Brown gets the rotation right all the time (Len, lol), but some people think he's an inconsistent mostly one dimensional three pt shooter who doesn't move well or impact the game.

The fact that he didn't come off the game in a blow out is mildly eye raising, maybe there is a bit of an issue growing between him and Brown.

But his minutes decline coincided with him being a letdown on the court for me.

Yet he hasn't been a let down on the court. He is shooting just under 36% from 3. Yep, not good enough, but again, what is his role on the team? He has shown how crafty he is on both ends of the floor which no one else on this team has. It's extremely difficult to come into a new environment and be a star with inconsistent minutes and role.
The only thing you mentioned that is true is he is slow footed. And guess what, so are all of the guys his height or over on this squad barring Kesler.
Brown's rotations for anyone off the bench barring Monk and Lyles are poor. Yet Monk and Lyles are the ones getting blown by consistently on the court. Barnes consistently gets blown by. In fact every single player that is getting consistent minutes minus Fox and maybe Keegan, gets blown by far too much.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#242 » by OxAndFox » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:24 am

With one eye on the deadline I think the FO would also have an eye on next years FA. I doubt we become a cap space team so will have the MLE to spend. Looking through the below list some are FAs, some restricted and some will get more than the MLE. Of these though I would love the FO to go and get Kris Dunn and Naji Marshall. This is if Davion is gone.

Not sure what O'Neale is going to command, and I wouldn't mind Grayson Allen either.

Hayward, Lowry, Conley, Dinwiddie, Joe Harris, Fournier, Trent Jr, Marcus Morris, Kennard, Tyus Jones, McDermott, Bullock, Gary Harris, Olynyk, Batum, Covington, Horton-Tucker, Burks, Monte Morris, O'Neale, Kyle Anderson, Grayson Allen, Okoro, Theis, Payne, Thad Young, Delon Wright, Melton, Toppin, Okeke, Poku, Bey, Bitadze, Oubre Jr, Naji Marshall.

Are there others that I'm forgetting?
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#243 » by OxAndFox » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:26 am

Are we underestimating what this team is doing? It's been a very inconsistent season overall, but nearing the halfway point you take it don't you?
3rd toughest schedule remaining though so these tough ones coming up mean a lot.

Last Season - 20-17
DRtg
#24 - 114.1
ORtg
#5 - 115.1
Net RTG
#13 - 1.0

This Season - 23-14
DRtg
#16 - 115.6
ORtg
#12 - 116.7
Net RTG
#15 - 1.1
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,240

Post#244 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:33 am

we're not a serious contender. The problem is while we do have a Big Three, it's not very good. Each of them, as #1, #2, and #3, are towards the bottom of each category (compared to the better teams in the league). Fox is a low-end #1. Sabonis a low end #2 and Murray a low-end #3. You could probably extend that outwards and at each step we'd have lower end guys. Now, that's still better than a dozen or so teams who don't even have legit Big Threes (or more) but it's not enough to actually compete unless Fox goes nuclear for a series.

I'm saying this as the rumor is Murray is basically off the table in trades. Since that's the case we have no avenue to substantially improve so get used to being pretenders. There's no worse place to be as a team than that. At least when you suck you have the slim chance of drafting a franchise changing talent.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,802

Post#245 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:37 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:we're not a serious contender. The problem is while we do have a Big Three, it's not very good. Each of them, as #1, #2, and #3, are towards the bottom of each category (compared to the better teams in the league). Fox is a low-end #1. Sabonis a low end #2 and Murray a low-end #3. You could probably extend that outwards and at each step we'd have lower end guys. Now, that's still better than a dozen or so teams who don't even have legit Big Threes (or more) but it's not enough to actually compete unless Fox goes nuclear for a series.

I'm saying this as the rumor is Murray is basically off the table in trades. Since that's the case we have no avenue to substantially improve so get used to being pretenders. There's no worse place to be as a team than that. At least when you suck you have the slim chance of drafting a franchise changing talent.

Again, we just got done with two decades of crap. If there is one fan base that shouldn’t really care about contention or nothing….

I think Sabonis is the number 1, but, regardless, for a playoff team we probably have a solid number 2 whoever you think that is (as of now, assuming Fox doesn’t continue into a deeper abyss)
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#246 » by City of Trees » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:49 pm

OxAndFox wrote:Are we underestimating what this team is doing? It's been a very inconsistent season overall, but nearing the halfway point you take it don't you?
3rd toughest schedule remaining though so these tough ones coming up mean a lot.

Last Season - 20-17
DRtg
#24 - 114.1
ORtg
#5 - 115.1
Net RTG
#13 - 1.0

This Season - 23-14
DRtg
#16 - 115.6
ORtg
#12 - 116.7
Net RTG
#15 - 1.1
No. Even Fox said while the record is better they know they aren't playing as well as last year.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#247 » by City of Trees » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:53 pm

BoogieTime wrote:I think Sabonis is the number 1, but, regardless, for a playoff team we probably have a solid number 2 whoever you think that is (as of now, assuming Fox doesn’t continue into a deeper abyss)

It seems they alternate who's "#1". One guy goes on a run, his body wears down as does his production, and the other steps up, dating all the way back to last season.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#248 » by City of Trees » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:02 pm

Hahahaha check out the Stockton Kings DPOG crown

Read on Twitter
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#249 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:26 am

BoogieTime wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:we're not a serious contender. The problem is while we do have a Big Three, it's not very good. Each of them, as #1, #2, and #3, are towards the bottom of each category (compared to the better teams in the league). Fox is a low-end #1. Sabonis a low end #2 and Murray a low-end #3. You could probably extend that outwards and at each step we'd have lower end guys. Now, that's still better than a dozen or so teams who don't even have legit Big Threes (or more) but it's not enough to actually compete unless Fox goes nuclear for a series.

Again, we just got done with two decades of crap. If there is one fan base that shouldn’t really care about contention or nothing….

I think Sabonis is the number 1, but, regardless, for a playoff team we probably have a solid number 2 whoever you think that is (as of now, assuming Fox doesn’t continue into a deeper abyss)

I know we've suffered and this is better than the majority of our past two decades. But I remember the late 90s/early 00s and believing in my heart we could (and should) have won a championship. Just because we've been conditioned to accept losing and are now joyous at not being a doormat, does not mean we shouldn't expect more as fans than being pretenders.

Fox imo is the #1 because he does it on both ends better than Sabonis and he's the "go to" guy when we need a bucket. But it's really not worth arguing about which is #1.

My point is that whoever that is, we aren't trotting out an elite Big Three in comparison to the other top 10 playoff teams. Our #1 whoever that is, is probably the 10th best #1 of that group. Our #2, whoever that is, fairs better but is still isn't in the top half of that group. Our #3, Murray, would be at the bottom of that group.

We have no 1st rounder. No cap space. No real tradable assets besides Murray. It sucks. Is it better than being doormats? Of course. Is it ever going to amount to a championship or even being in the discussion? No. We could be stuck here for the next handful of years too.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#250 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:34 am

It's why I have always said the Kings need a #1 scorer. BUT, BUT Fox has shown he can be that guy. I have full confidence in Murray becoming the other guy that can pick up the slack from the outside when Fox needs it, and Domas will just be Domas. Monk is an important piece in that too, but then you're also starting to starve each other of opportunuty.
I like it when Sabonis is being aggressive in the first quarter along with Fox. It takes the pressure off the role players and it allows them to look at building a lead, not keeping up with a team and if you miss, we're down.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#251 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:35 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

I know we've suffered and this is better than the majority of our past two decades. But I remember the late 90s/early 00s and believing in my heart we could (and should) have won a championship. Just because we've been conditioned to accept losing and are now joyous at not being a doormat, does not mean we shouldn't expect more as fans than being pretenders.

Fox imo is the #1 because he does it on both ends better than Sabonis and he's the "go to" guy when we need a bucket. But it's really not worth arguing about which is #1.

My point is that whoever that is, we aren't trotting out an elite Big Three in comparison to the other top 10 playoff teams. Our #1 whoever that is, is probably the 10th best #1 of that group. Our #2, whoever that is, fairs better but is still isn't in the top half of that group. Our #3, Murray, would be at the bottom of that group.

We have no 1st rounder. No cap space. No real tradable assets besides Murray. It sucks. Is it better than being doormats? Of course. Is it ever going to amount to a championship or even being in the discussion? No. We could be stuck here for the next handful of years too.

Does what better on both ends? Just because he's the "go to guy" when we need a bucket, isn't what sustainably makes the team good (as we saw the years prior Domas).

Domas was solidly the better player last year (the team was better with him on the floor and he was recognized by those who cover the game as such), and has been far superior recently (was Fox motivated by supermax while turning down the extension), while Fox finished games with a high gear (most clutch). I think having a centric 20/13/8 consistent, hard playing offensive hub (screens/actions) that helps everyone else supersedes a hot/cold non traditional PG gunner, even with Fox's higher gear in the clutch/playoffs. Defensively, I'd call it a draw. Domas has far superior individual metrics and Fox still isnt good save for when he "tries" to lock down, but being a non rim protecting center does erase those individual metrics.

But Fox's low points are so much lower than Domas certainly, but any type of other player who has been an all star recently its maddening. He hasn't even been a good player the last few weeks. He traditionally has bad games/quarters/ and now stretches of seasons where you don't know what your getting with an innately faulty motor. Fortunately, the playoffs and end of games spark the motor, and the "higher gear" that he has offensively over Domas, but it doesn't help much if the team doesn't have the help to cover in getting to those points.

Domas is certainly better than the Chets/Ant/Murray/Lillard/Maxey's and until recently I would've said Fox has an argument to be, but who knows where his game is heading. So, I think the argument, if Fox doesn't continue his antics, is that we could have a good #2 star candidate, but im feeling less confident in that now than I did a couple weeks back
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#252 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:01 am

BoogieTime wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Does what better on both ends? Just because he's the "go to guy" when we need a bucket, isn't what sustainably makes the team good (as we saw the years prior Domas).

Domas was solidly the better player last year (the team was better with him on the floor and he was recognized by those who cover the game as such), and has been far superior recently (was Fox motivated by supermax while turning down the extension), while Fox finished games with a high gear (most clutch). I think having a centric 20/13/8 consistent, hard playing offensive hub (screens/actions) that helps everyone else supersedes a hot/cold non traditional PG gunner, even with Fox's higher gear in the clutch/playoffs. Defensively, I'd call it a draw. Domas has far superior individual metrics and Fox still isnt good save for when he "tries" to lock down, but being a non rim protecting center does erase those individual metrics.

But Fox's low points are so much lower than Domas certainly, but any type of other player who has been an all star recently its maddening. He hasn't even been a good player the last few weeks. He traditionally has bad games/quarters/ and now stretches of seasons where you don't know what your getting with an innately faulty motor. Fortunately, the playoffs and end of games spark the motor, and the "higher gear" that he has offensively over Domas, but it doesn't help much if the team doesn't have the help to cover in getting to those points.

Domas is certainly better than the Chets/Ant/Murray/Lillard/Maxey's and until recently I would've said Fox has an argument to be, but who knows where his game is heading. So, I think the argument, if Fox doesn't continue his antics, is that we could have a good #2 star candidate, but im feeling less confident in that now than I did a couple weeks back

this is cap. Fox, when he wants to be, is a better defender than Sabonis. He's able to put pressure on the ball up the court and cause mayhem with his quick hands and speed. Maybe Sabonis with his shooting and passing has the edge on offense slightly THIS season but Fox is the "go to scorer" so it's close on offense. Both made all-NBA but Fox was getting MVP consideration. Who are these "those who cover the game" that were saying Sabonis is better than Fox? Not that it matters since it's subjective. But I'm not even saying there's much different between the two anyway since the lowest #1 in Fox is just a handful away from a mid #2 like Sabonis. It's really splitting hairs. They're both having great seasons statistically. And the playoffs is what I care about so Fox' motor issues aren't as present which is why I go with Fox.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#253 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:14 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

this is cap. Fox, when he wants to be, is a better defender than Sabonis. He's able to put pressure on the ball up the court and cause mayhem with his quick hands and speed. Maybe Sabonis with his shooting and passing has the edge on offense slightly THIS season but Fox is the "go to scorer" so it's close on offense. Both made all-NBA but Fox was getting MVP consideration. Who are these "those who cover the game" that were saying Sabonis is better than Fox? Not that it matters since it's subjective. But I'm not even saying there's much different between the two anyway since the lowest #1 in Fox is just a handful away from a mid #2 like Sabonis. It's really splitting hairs. They're both having great seasons statistically. And the playoffs is what I care about so Fox' motor issues aren't as present which is why I go with Fox.

this is cap.google nba mvp lists from last year https://www.nba.com/news/kia-mvp-ladder-april-7-2023-edition. What was the team prior to Sabonis being the offensive cog and symbiotically helping to unleash Fox as well?I know Fox is the better defender "when he wants to be", he's also a better player than Domas "when he wants to be", but 'when he wants to" is a fundamental issue to his game that doesn't sustainably help the team like Domas or as centric to an O as a non-traditional PG https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/12/13/23507222/domantas-sabonis-sacramento-kings. He does have a higher gear than all but a few, though
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,455

Post#254 » by KF10 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:53 pm

I hope we see a move before the deadline. But why do I get the sense that after OG and Siakam are off the market, Monte's MO is keeping everything pat and he thinks that this bad stretch will self-resolves itself?

I hope I'm wrong.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#255 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:03 pm

KF10 wrote:I hope we see a move before the deadline. But why do I get the sense that after OG and Siakam are off the market, Monte's MO is keeping everything pat and he thinks that this bad stretch will self-resolves itself?

I hope I'm wrong.

I got that feeling a while ago too. No doubt he plans B-Z though.
There's typically a deal that was a blockage for other deals to happen. I'm sure this FO was waiting for the Raptors and there were most likely a few others.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#256 » by KF10 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:16 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
KF10 wrote:I hope we see a move before the deadline. But why do I get the sense that after OG and Siakam are off the market, Monte's MO is keeping everything pat and he thinks that this bad stretch will self-resolves itself?

I hope I'm wrong.

There's typically a deal that was a blockage for other deals to happen. I'm sure this FO was waiting for the Raptors and there were most likely a few others.

The hope is after the Toronto domino fell down, the trade market begins to open up real soon.

Personally, if Monte keeps things the same, it's malpractice at this point.

The Kings are +0.4 net rating. This is 17th in the NBA.

Out of all winning teams (if you exclude Utah's hot stretch), the Kings have the lowest (positive) net rating all season long. The Kings have been flirting between positive and negative net rating this season.

The discourse of "the Kings have a better record at this point of the season compared to last season!1" doesn't do it for me at all.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#257 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:29 pm

KF10 wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

I hope I'm wrong.

The hope is after the Toronto domino fell down, the trade market begins to open up real soon.

Personally, if Monte keeps things the same, it's malpractice at this point.

The Kings are +0.4 net rating. This is 17th in the NBA.

Out of all winning teams (if you exclude Utah's hot stretch), the Kings have the lowest (positive) net rating all season long. The Kings have been flirting between positive and negative net rating this season.

The discourse of "the Kings have a better record at this point of the season compared to last season!1" doesn't do it for me at all.

I mean, weren't we all told it would be like this?
Two steps forward, one step back etc. You can see this in their play, but what is happening in the meantime they're getting better defensively.
The only problem I have is too much fiddling around with the rotations.
Brown mentioned the hardest part was going from a good team to a great team. Clearly, the team needs an upgrade along the way, but maybe the FO doesn't see too many upgrades that are available outside of the OG/Siakam deals.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#258 » by KF10 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:41 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
Two steps forward, one step back etc. You can see this in their play, but what is happening in the meantime they're getting better defensively.
Brown mentioned the hardest part was going from a good team to a great team. Clearly, the team needs an upgrade along the way, but maybe the FO doesn't see too many upgrades that are available outside of the OG/Siakam deals.

Defensively, they are better than last season (which isn't saying too much). I think Brown's defensive plan isn't all that bad if they have the right personnel implementing it.

Brown likes to switch and scramble defensively. A player like Barnes (who is clearly is a step or two slow at this point since acquiring him) is the biggest weak point in this defensive system. Barnes is far too slow to remain effective in Brown's defensive game plan. Dude needs to be traded or benched for the right player. This is where Monte should appropriately diagnose and act accordingly if Brown isn't rectifying this problem.

I'm less inclined to move Huerter if his recent performance is an indicator of future performances. Dude looked good to me last game or two.

I agree with the rotations. At this point of the season (half-way point; 40 games in) Brown should have an idea of a set rotation. But I don't get that sense at all. He's still tinkering and his minute distribution for certain players are off, imo.

This team isn't bad.

It's still a good team but with some serious flaws sprinkled.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#259 » by OxAndFox » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:23 am

KF10 wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Defensively, they are better than last season (which isn't saying too much). I think Brown's defensive plan isn't all that bad if they have the right personnel implementing it.

Brown likes to switch and scramble defensively. A player like Barnes (who is clearly is a step or two slow at this point since acquiring him) is the biggest weak point in this defensive system. Barnes is far too slow to remain effective in Brown's defensive game plan. Dude needs to be traded or benched for the right player. This is where Monte should appropriately diagnose and act accordingly if Brown isn't rectifying this problem.

I'm less inclined to move Huerter if his recent performance is an indicator of future performances. Dude looked good to me last game or two.

I agree with the rotations. At this point of the season (half-way point; 40 games in) Brown should have an idea of a set rotation. But I don't get that sense at all. He's still tinkering and his minute distribution for certain players are off, imo.

This team isn't bad.

Yeah I agree with that.
As far as the defense goes we see way too many miscommunications on that end. Seems to me that Heurter is on the end of them a lot. Like he either sticks with his man and the other player switches, or vice versa. Not saying it's his fault all the time, but this is happening way too often for a rec team let alone a pro team.
I would love to see Barnes come off the bench. This change would be made after the deadline if they haven't found a suitable trade. Inject Lyles into the starting line-up. Lyles isn't great defensively, but he does like to get physical.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#260 » by KF10 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:45 am

OxAndFox wrote:
KF10 wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

This team isn't bad.

Yeah I agree with that.
As far as the defense goes we see way too many miscommunications on that end. Seems to me that Heurter is on the end of them a lot. Like he either sticks with his man and the other player switches, or vice versa. Not saying it's his fault all the time, but this is happening way too often for a rec team let alone a pro team.
I would love to see Barnes come off the bench. This change would be made after the deadline if they haven't found a suitable trade. Inject Lyles into the starting line-up. Lyles isn't great defensively, but he does like to get physical.

Lyles in for Barnes seems to make sense to the rest of us.

Barnes has the longest leash outside of Fox and Domas. Which is ridiculous at this point.

Not sure if Brown has it in him to fully bench Barnes. Hopefully, Monte makes the move (trade Barnes) to save Brown from himself.

I’ve been down on Huerter as much as anyone here but Huerter simply does more on the court than Barnes — even when they both had a poor stretch of games.

Return to Sacramento Kings