ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Watch 2018

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#401 » by jazanetti » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:21 pm

I really can't understand what are you guys trying to prove? Willie can be effective in some special role and system? May be so, but we have Joerger as our coach. And I think the right way is to find players who fit his model or being universal rather than find a coach and a system where Willie can be effective. He is not a unicorn nowhere near.

Sent from my MI 3W using RealGM mobile app
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,717

Post#402 » by kalenclayton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:19 pm

jazanetti wrote:I really can't understand what are you guys trying to prove? Willie can be effective in some special role and system? May be so, but we have Joerger as our coach. And I think the right way is to find players who fit his model or being universal rather than find a coach and a system where Willie can be effective. He is not a unicorn nowhere near.

I think most of us share the view that he should probably be moved for value or a better fitting player. What view we don’t share is that he is a bad player. He isn’t. He has a lot of good tools and can be a pretty productive player if he isn’t being relied on for points. If his offense comes organically, he’s pretty damn awesome.

Also, this season has been a test run for skill development. It seems obvious.

What isn’t appreciated is the overreactionary comments that sound like an agenda is being pushed. Just be objective. Don’t go overboard to where your comment is a wasted read. An example of what I’m referring to is the following comment from the Game 74 thread:
jazanetti wrote:My eyes bleed when Cauley-Stein tries to score. He can do absolutely nothing. I'm starting to think we needed to release him instead of PapaG.

I enjoy what you write for the most part, Jaz. I just don’t like the singling out of a player you don’t like and then saying ridiculous things about the said player.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,895

Post#403 » by 76ciology » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Ayton - alarming low deflection rate. DBPM, stl% and blk% all around the same #s with Jahlil Okafor.

Bagley- low assists, low deflections and low base rate of shooting considering his low sample size of 3pt make and FT%

Trae Young - will go baptisim by fire in his rookie year with a rude awakening of NBA speed and length

I'm rooting for you guys in this draft because I dont want to give up a high pick for Celts. :)

With how crappy competition is in the league, specially in the 2nd half of the season, I don't expect the kings to be THAT bad.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#404 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:57 pm

76ciology wrote:Ayton - alarming low deflection rate. DBPM, stl% and blk% all around the same #s with Jahlil Okafor.

Bagley- low assists, low deflections and low base rate of shooting considering his low sample size of 3pt make and FT%

Trae Young - will go baptisim by fire in his rookie year with a rude awakening of NBA speed and length

I'm rooting for you guys in this draft because I dont want to give up a high pick for Celts. :)

With how crappy competition is in the league, specially in the 2nd half of the season, I don't expect the kings to be THAT bad.

Bags is in the 76th percentile on spot up shots and 77th on all jumpers.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#405 » by 76ciology » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
76ciology wrote:Ayton - alarming low deflection rate. DBPM, stl% and blk% all around the same #s with Jahlil Okafor.

Even so.. Far from being a good shooter and his undeniably Low assists and deflections. That is likely to translate into low impact player on both ends. Also be skeptical of a flawed prospect opting to play for Duke. Most times these guys are horribly flawed trying to hide with Coach K's coaching.

You also have to consider how bad the deflections will be with WCS and Bagley. Both projects to have low stls and blks. I'd rather retain Zach Randolph, then use that pick for Bamba or JJJr
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#406 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:05 pm

76ciology wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:

Even so.. Far from being a good shooter and his undeniably Low assists and deflections. That is likely to translate into low impact player on both ends.

You also have to consider how bad the deflections will be with WCS and Bagley. Both projects to have low stls and blks. I'd rather retain Zach Randolph, then use that pick for Bamba or JJJr

I wouldn't say he's "far" from being a good shooter, because the base is clearly there. Passing needs work as does his defense, but he has every skill necessary to become a good defender. He's unbelievably light on his feet and showed this year (before Duke switched to the zone) that he can guard the perimeter. I highly disagree on him being a low impact player on both ends.

If I'm the Kings, I'm looking for guys with star potential. Bags has that and is a safe pick as well. You cannot really beat that. I cannot speak on whether or not WCS is part of their future, but he should not be a reason to not pick Bags if he's there.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#407 » by 76ciology » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:07 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
76ciology wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:

Even so.. Far from being a good shooter and his undeniably Low assists and deflections. That is likely to translate into low impact player on both ends

I wouldn't say he's "far" from being a good shooter, because the base is clearly there. Passing needs work as does his defense, but he has every skill necessary to become a good defender. He's unbelievably light on his feet and showed this year (before Duke switched to the zone) that he can guard the perimeter. I highly disagree on him being a low impact player on both ends.

Projects to me as a 17-10 guy with low stls, blks and assists. I dont know if that is worth a top 5 pick. And I'm really skeptical if that can translate into more than 2OBPM and 2DBPM type player.IMO A good model for D with Bagley is Blake Griffin, which is just a 1.2DBPM player on average and is really hard player to construct a winning team with.

..and Blake Griffin has far more superior guard skills and yet he's just a 2-3 OBPM guy that is again tough to build a winning team with
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#408 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:07 pm

jazanetti wrote:I really can't understand what are you guys trying to prove? Willie can be effective in some special role and system? May be so, but we have Joerger as our coach. And I think the right way is to find players who fit his model or being universal rather than find a coach and a system where Willie can be effective. He is not a unicorn nowhere near.

Yes, that's what role players are. He's more talented than your typical role player but many talented players end up having more impact when they cut the fat from their game.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#409 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:08 pm

76ciology wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Even so.. Far from being a good shooter and his undeniably Low assists and deflections. That is likely to translate into low impact player on both ends

Projects to me as a 17-10 guy with low stls, blks and assists. I dont know if that is worth a top 5 pick. And I'm really skeptical if that can translate into more than 2OBPM and 2DBPM type player

I think he's a 20-10 guy who develops into a very good defensive player. Agree to disagree here, because I trust my eyes and projection ability. :lol:
76ciology
RealGM

Post#410 » by 76ciology » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:12 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
76ciology wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:

Projects to me as a 17-10 guy with low stls, blks and assists. I dont know if that is worth a top 5 pick. And I'm really skeptical if that can translate into more than 2OBPM and 2DBPM type player

I think he's a 20-10 guy who develops into a very good defensive player. Agree to disagree here, because I trust my eyes and projection ability. :lol:

20-10 with no steals, blks, assists and just average 3pt shooting at best. projects to be a low impact guy. He should get his offense similar to Wiggins get it by empty calorie scoring

I could be wrong and also consider heavily your position
76ciology
RealGM

Post#411 » by 76ciology » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:15 pm

I feel like Kings best move in the draft is to go get JJJr or Bamba. Then trade WCS for a mid to late first or a vet, both at wing position. WCS is fools gold looking at his blk, stls and FG% while Kings is ripe for a Whiteside type player.

Once done, you can build yourself into a Heat type roster
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#412 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:16 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:I wrote something on Mikal Bridges, if y'all are interested in reading it. I project him as a better defensive Khris Middleton, or a rich man's Otto Porter. Loved him last year and he transformed himself into a second round / late first prospect to a lotto lock while improving in every area of his game.

Check it out here - https://thefrontofficeeye.com/2018/03/27/1053/

I used to work in the F/O of the Tulsa Shock after undergrad working on evaluations / scouting, contracts, helping coaches, and literally everything else they needed from me.

If y'all want some specific player evals, let me know and I'll do my best to get to them. If you like what you see, spread the word!

Do you have any data or shot charts that show his range? Every time I watch him play he sure seems to hug that college 3 point line. I'm curious as to how many 3's he's made in college would be long 2's in the NBA.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#413 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 pm

76ciology wrote:I feel like Kings best move in the draft is to go get JJJr and Bamba. Then trade WCS for a mid to late first or a vet, both at wing position.

Not a fan of Jackson Jr. for the Kings. He has upside but even though he didn't get a ton of burn as an offensive weapon I saw struggles with him creating offense. Jackson could find a team that gives him the chance to be a major offensive cog but I still see Taj Gibson when he plays, which is far from bad considering Gibsons impact on both ends. If the Kings still had Cousins I think he'd be a great fit but not now.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#414 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:26 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:I wrote something on Mikal Bridges, if y'all are interested in reading it. I project him as a better defensive Khris Middleton, or a rich man's Otto Porter. Loved him last year and he transformed himself into a second round / late first prospect to a lotto lock while improving in every area of his game.

Check it out here - https://thefrontofficeeye.com/2018/03/27/1053/

I used to work in the F/O of the Tulsa Shock after undergrad working on evaluations / scouting, contracts, helping coaches, and literally everything else they needed from me.

If y'all want some specific player evals, let me know and I'll do my best to get to them. If you like what you see, spread the word!

Do you have any data or shot charts that show his range? Every time I watch him play he sure seems to hug that college 3 point line. I'm curious as to how many 3's he's made in college would be long 2's in the NBA.

Unfortunately I don't. :-?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#415 » by kalenclayton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
76ciology wrote:I feel like Kings best move in the draft is to go get JJJr and Bamba. Then trade WCS for a mid to late first or a vet, both at wing position.

Not a fan of Jackson Jr. for the Kings. He has upside but even though he didn't get a ton of burn as an offensive weapon I saw struggles with him creating offense. Jackson could find a team that gives him the chance to be a major offensive cog but I still see Taj Gibson when he plays, which is far from bad considering Gibsons impact on both ends. If the Kings still had Cousins I think he'd be a great fit but not now.

If Taj Gibson is your comp, then I think he's still in good shape to be drafted by the Kings. Taj is as solid as they come and JJJ can shoot the 3. So what that turns into is a more rangy Taj Gibson? That sounds fantastic.

I'm assuming Ayton, Doncic, Bagley are gone by 7 (probable Kings selection). I agree with 76ciology that the Kings should really be targeting JJJ/Bamba and moving Willie for a first (if they can get it). If those two are gone by 7 (probable Kings selection), then hope for Michael Porter to drop. If M. Porter is gone, draft Miles Bridges, Mikal Bridges, or Knox. Hopefully use the pick (+potential player) to target Jontay Porter. That's my hope for the draft.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#416 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:46 pm

I think JJJr is more Favors than Taj
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#417 » by kalenclayton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:47 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:I think JJJr is more Favors than Taj

Are you a believer in his shot? If so, wouldn't he project to be a better version of both the players you listed?
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#418 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:51 pm

kalenclayton wrote:

Are you a believer in his shot? If so, wouldn't he project to be a better version of both the players you listed?

Honestly, no. I know the shot went down in college, but it seemed like whenever he shot and a guy was closing out on him hard, he missed. In the pros, where guys are closing out faster, that's an issue. There's something funky about that release - reminds me of a sped up version of Noah's, to be honest.

However, if the shot does fall, he'll be a better Favors IF his motor picks up - because that's another major issue (but was one for Favors early in his career as well). That's why I don't see the Taj comparison - he was always leaving his imprint on the game.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#419 » by kalenclayton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:57 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

Honestly, no. I know the shot went down in college, but it seemed like whenever he shot and a guy was closing out on him hard, he missed. In the pros, where guys are closing out faster, that's an issue. There's something funky about that release - reminds me of a sped up version of Noah's, to be honest.

However, if the shot does fall, he'll be a better Favors IF his motor picks up - because that's another major issue (but was one for Favors early in his career as well). That's why I don't see the Taj comparison - he was always leaving his imprint on the game.

His shot has been my main concern for the exact reasons you pointed out. I need to watch more of him regardless, but I haven't really paid much attention to his motor. It really just hasn't caught my eye as much. Just curious, but what are your thoughts on Jontay Porter, Miles Bridges, and Wendell Carter. They are all guys that I can see Vlade drafting. I have only really seen highlight videos of the Porter and Carter. Porter seems fantastic, while Carter has left me with something to be desired. Miles Bridges has some heart that I enjoy to watch.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#420 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:22 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Are you a believer in his shot? If so, wouldn't he project to be a better version of both the players you listed?

His shot has been my main concern for the exact reasons you pointed out. I need to watch more of him regardless, but I haven't really paid much attention to his motor. It really just hasn't caught my eye as much. Just curious, but what are your thoughts on Jontay Porter, Miles Bridges, and Wendell Carter. They are all guys that I can see Vlade drafting. I have only really seen highlight videos of the Porter and Carter. Porter seems fantastic, while Carter has left me with something to be desired. Miles Bridges has some heart that I enjoy to watch.

Aside from a couple games here and there (and the ones where MPJr returned), I haven't seen TOO much of Porter. However, I was never really that impressed with him. Whenever I watched him, I always thought he looked more like a bench big than a starting C.

I really like Carter as a safe pick. He reminds me of Horford quite a bit, actually (BIG Horford fan). He can beat you in the post, from mid range (and even 3), he's a solid defender (needs a little fine tuning in space), and is a good rebounder. He's not a great athlete, but he seems like a high IQ guy. The charge he took in Sunday (which was a terrible call) is a good example of his defensive IQ (and also a nice rotation from Trent Jr). He's a guy who always seems to be in the right spot at the right time. I highly doubt he'll ever be a 20/10 guy, but 15-16, 10-11 and good defense is definitely in the cards.

I also like Miles, but not in the first half of the lottery. I liken him to a more efficient (and better on both ends) TJ Warren. He's shown improvements on offense even after a good year (regardless of the %s dipping, he's improved his game - I can pull up the stats I posted on the Knicks board yesterday, if you'd like) and he's a good defender. My biggest issue with him is that he's not a 3 or a 4 - he's a tweener, in my opinion. He has the size of a 2/3, built like a small ball 4, but without the length of 4s (or even most 3s, I think?).

Return to Sacramento Kings