ImageImageImageImageImage

artest/warriors rumor from Bucher

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,662

Post#81 » by dc » Sat Feb 9, 2008 1:16 am

Smills91 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Soooo infatuated with him, your francise went and signed a geriatric c-webb on one leg and out of shape. This smells like BS on your part in a feable attempt to hype up a young player a la laker/knick fans in hopes that somehow it'll justify landing you a superstar caliber player in some future deal, similar to what happened to Channing Frye, David Lee, Javaris Crittenten etc etc etc. We see this 'tactic' all the time and I know EXACTLY what you're attempting and it's BS.

First of all, what do any of these "tactics" of fans on a message board have to do with NBA general managers actually making the decisions to make trades in real life?

Yeah, I'm sure Geoff Petries gets all hyped up reading NBADraft and then goes to message boards like RealGM to confirm that a certain prospect really is all that. I'm sure he has to remind himself to use all sorts of caution to not get duped by all the Knick/Laker fans who hype up their players.

The Warriors are high on Wright, and rightfully so because he was rated the #3 recruit in the country behind Oden/Durant in one of the best HS classes in recent memory.

That's not to say that Wright is untouchable. Far from it. But they're not going to trade the kid (who they just traded JRich for) for a nut like Artest who might not be anything more than a 3 month rental. Artest is going to opt out and demand a big new contract. The Warriors, who have to re-sign Biedrins and Ellis, probably won't be able to afford those two new deals as well as a new deal for Artest.
BMiller52
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#82 » by BMiller52 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:03 am

Soooo infatuated with him, your francise went and signed a geriatric c-webb on one leg and out of shape. This smells like BS on your part in a feable attempt to hype up a young player a la laker/knick fans in hopes that somehow it'll justify landing you a superstar caliber player in some future deal, similar to what happened to Channing Frye, David Lee, Javaris Crittenten etc etc etc. We see this 'tactic' all the time and I know EXACTLY what you're attempting and it's BS.

Come on man you got to realize we're not actually the gm of the Kings and Petrie isn't dealing with fans using this hype tactic on him :lol: :lol: :lol:
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Post#83 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:02 am

What cracks me up is to hear people talking about Monta Ellis (the Ben Gordon of the West - a tweener guard who can score and nothing else) as a "core" player. Sixth man of the year, yeah, someday. But then these are the same people that said that he was a better player than Kevin Martin.

The Warriors ONLY shot for contending (Note: I do not say WINNING) for the championship - which actually involves a lot more lucky timing than anyone thinks - is to force other teams to play THEIR game. To do this they need more defensive strength on the perimeter so that opponents cannot get the ball in against them in the post where they get destroyed (at least not most of the time). Artest actually fits their greatest need for what they are doing NOW (and don't think for a minute that Nellie actually cares THAT much about their future), and they should work with that.

'Cuz when B Diddy is done in a couple of years, its back to the lotto anyhow!
:rofl:
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#84 » by Smills91 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:06 am

Cruel_Ruin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:lol: Come on, man, there's no conspiracy here. Everybody hypes their young players, i.e. us with Hawes.

There's a difference...I'd trade Hawes for a Gasol/Artest level player. These idiots are saying they wouldn't.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#85 » by Smills91 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:07 am

BMiller52 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Come on man you got to realize we're not actually the gm of the Kings and Petrie isn't dealing with fans using this hype tactic on him :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm talking about how 'value' is gauged on these message boards...nothing more than that.
crzy
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by crzy » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:41 am

There's a difference...I'd trade Hawes for a Gasol/Artest level player. These idiots are saying they wouldn't.

Where therin lies your problem. You actually think Ron Artest (a rental) and Pau Gasol command the same value. :lol:
Smills91
Banned User

Post#87 » by Smills91 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:43 am

crzyyafrican wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Where therin lies your problem. You actually think Ron Artest (a rental) and Pau Gasol command the same value. :lol:

Did I say that? I said those level of players, and unproven rookies are definitely not worth that echelon of a player.
crzy
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by crzy » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:53 am

Did I say that? I said those level of players, and unproven rookies are definitely not worth that echelon of a player.

Your second sentence insinuates that you believe that Ron Artest is on same "echelon" as Pau Gasol.

And ignoring that obvious talent discrepancy for a moment.......why would anyone give up serious value for a player who has frequently stated that he will opt out in a few months? Obtaining his bird rights and the "inside-path" to resigning Ron Artest is not an incentive for us. We won't be able to retain him beyond this season anyways because we have our own free agents to take care of and our owner is not willing to go into the luxury tax.

The Warriors were being generous even offering a 2008 1st round pick, as far as I'm concerned.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#89 » by Smills91 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:55 am

Your second sentence insinuates that you believe that Ron Artest is on same "echelon" as Pau Gasol.

And ignoring that obvious talent discrepancy for a moment.......why would anyone give up serious value for a player who has frequently stated that he will opt out in a few months? Obtaining his bird rights and the "inside-path" to resigning Ron Artest is not an incentive for us. We won't be able to retain him beyond this season anyways because we have our own free agents to take care of and our owner is not willing to go into the luxury tax.

The Warriors were being generous even offering a 2008 1st round pick, as far as I'm concerned.

They're both STAR level players, I'm I mistaken in saying that? You want to split hairs on this issue. My POINT is trading rookies who are TOTALLY unproven for STAR level players in their primes.

Oh and to answer your question, MOVE up now AND receive Bird rights which makes you the inevitable EXCLUSIVE suitor to re-sign him. (Even though I'd NEVER trade Ron to a Pacific division rival).
crzy
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by crzy » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:59 am

I am a big fan of Tru Warior, always have been and always will be.

But you consider him a star? :dontknow:
Smills91
Banned User

Post#91 » by Smills91 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:02 am

crzyyafrican wrote:I am a big fan of Tru Warior, always have been and always will be.

You don't? That says more about you than me.
AnDrOiDKing4
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#92 » by AnDrOiDKing4 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:09 am

crzyyafrican wrote:I am a big fan of Tru Warior, always have been and always will be.

yes, he can take over a game on any given night, and on both sides, guards 2-5's, and is just outright mean and physical in the low post.
crzy
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by crzy » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:11 am

You don't? That says more about you than me.

Sure it does. It says that I have a stricter definition for "star" player than you do. I simply don't consider a player who made the All-Star team once in the Eastern Conference a star player. Ron Artest is a role player, who would most successful as the 3rd option on a good team.
crzy
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by crzy » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:14 am

AnDrOiDKing4 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

yes, he can take over a game on any given night, and on both sides, guards 2-5's, and is just outright mean and physical in the low post.

I know what Ron Ron can do. I still don't consider him a star.

Is he a top 30 player? or even a top 40 player?

I'm just not someone who throws the word "star" around.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,502

Post#95 » by Ballings7 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:18 am

Ron's an all-star caliber player. Absolutely. Hell, he was an all-star in 2004, was the DPOY in 2004, multi all-nba-defensive team member, made the all-nba team.

3rd-tier star player, IMO.

On the same level of Rashard Lewis (though has played lesser this season, for various reasons), Caron Butler, Josh Howard, Gerald Wallace, Shawn Marion, etc. Those guys are star players to an extent.

Being a "star" doesn't just mean superstar (Kobe, Wade, Paul, Nash, KG, Duncan) or multi all-star (Carter, T-Mac, Amare, Allen), IMO. I don't think it's fair to not credit certain players who are quality.

I do think Ron's a top 30 player. In that range.

Ron's a stand-out player in the NBA, for sure, anyway.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#96 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Feb 9, 2008 9:09 am

Cruel_Ruin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:lol: Come on, man, there's no conspiracy here. Everybody hypes their young players, i.e. us with Hawes.

But at least Hawes has a leg to stand on so to speak. He at least knows how to PLAY THE GAME.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#97 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Feb 9, 2008 9:12 am

There is no question Ron is a star. Superstar? No, there are different levels but there is a reason many highly respected big wigs in NBA frontoffices consider Ron a top 15 talent.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,403

Post#98 » by shrink » Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:07 pm

Some of the posters are reasonable, but I think there is a good deal of over-rating of Ron's value in this thread.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#99 » by Smills91 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 3:30 pm

I know what Ron Ron can do. I still don't consider him a star.

Is he a top 30 player? or even a top 40 player?

I'm just not someone who throws the word "star" around.

You're just being unreasonable here then...most pundits would say Ron is a top-tiered talent...is he a PF/C type top talent, NO...but he's still a top talent on BOTH ends of the floor. DPOY/ALL-Star level player...not too many of those floating around these days.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 309

Post#100 » by GswStorm3 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:00 pm

Let me set you straight. We are infatuated with him. There is only one player on your team we would trade Brandan Wright for. And it's certainly not Ron Artest. You can have the 2008 1st round pick though.

I'm guessing that's Kevin Martin and I don't think we'd even trade Wright for him.

Return to Sacramento Kings