Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Re: Welcome Bogdan Bogdanovic! 

Post#161 » by codydaze » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:26 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
City of Trees wrote:3 years / $30million is not a bad contract at all.

It is over paying... the only competition for his services were European clubs. And the top salaries they pay are $3M, even adjusted for taxes, that is $5M.

When you have a lot of cap space it doesn't look like a mistake - but it is.

Definitely not an overpay for one of the best Euros overseas. NBA contracts are a different beast than Euro contracts. Would much rather be paying Bogdan $10 million a year than Crabbe, for example, like $17-18 million or whatever he's making.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,711

Post#162 » by Sactowndog » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:33 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
EuropeanBball wrote:He is almost 25 years old and he is top10 player in Europe, he will not play in Summer league for sure..

National team commitments - If I remember well, national team training camp starts on July 20 and he will spent about 2 months with national team, until the end of Eurorobasket (Eurobasket will be held between 31 August and 17 September)

Well, the Serbian media is reporting that he has already agreed to the deal which is good.

http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/238820/bogdan-bogdanovic-reportedly-agreed-to-a-three-year-dollars30-mln-deal-with-the-kings.html

Yeah, summer league is not happening if he keeps his commitment to Euroball. He'll be playing pretty much year round because NBA training camp starts the last week of Sept normally.

While I get his desire to represent Serbia and Vlade's position as the former head of Serbian basketball.... but for 30M he needs to spend his summer getting familiar with the Kings system not running around Europe with team Serbia. If it were an Olympic year that would be different but it is not.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#163 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Let that man live.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#164 » by codydaze » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
EuropeanBball wrote:He is almost 25 years old and he is top10 player in Europe, he will not play in Summer league for sure..

National team commitments - If I remember well, national team training camp starts on July 20 and he will spent about 2 months with national team, until the end of Eurorobasket (Eurobasket will be held between 31 August and 17 September)

Well, the Serbian media is reporting that he has already agreed to the deal which is good.

http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/238820/bogdan-bogdanovic-reportedly-agreed-to-a-three-year-dollars30-mln-deal-with-the-kings.html

Yeah, summer league is not happening if he keeps his commitment to Euroball. He'll be playing pretty much year round because NBA training camp starts the last week of Sept normally.

While I get his desire to represent Serbia and Vlade's position as the former head of Serbian basketball.... but for 30M he needs to spend his summer getting familiar with the Kings system not running around Europe with team Serbia. If it were an Olympic year that would be different but it is not.

I'm not really concerned with Bogdan not playing Summer Ball. The guy is 25 years old and just won a championship overseas. What is he really going to get from Summer League playing against a bunch of 19-20 year olds? It's not like the whole system will be put in place and Summer League is over in 3 weeks. He'll be just fine reporting to training camp and getting acclimated then.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#165 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:17 pm

codydaze wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
City of Trees wrote:3 years / $30million is not a bad contract at all.

It is over paying... the only competition for his services were European clubs. And the top salaries they pay are $3M, even adjusted for taxes, that is $5M.

Definitely not an overpay for one of the best Euros overseas. NBA contracts are a different beast than Euro contracts. Would much rather be paying Bogdan $10 million a year than Crabbe, for example, like $17-18 million or whatever he's making.

Paying Crabbe was most definitely a mistake. And yes to Bogdan $10 million a year than Crabbe's contract. But that doesn't mean you aren't overpaying.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#166 » by codydaze » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:19 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
codydaze wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:It is over paying... the only competition for his services were European clubs. And the top salaries they pay are $3M, even adjusted for taxes, that is $5M.

Paying Crabbe was most definitely a mistake. And yes to Bogdan $10 million a year than Crabbe's contract. But that doesn't mean you aren't overpaying.

I just think you'll see with the way free agency goes this summer that 3 years/$30 million looks like a great deal.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#167 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:24 pm

codydaze wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
codydaze wrote:Definitely not an overpay for one of the best Euros overseas. NBA contracts are a different beast than Euro contracts. Would much rather be paying Bogdan $10 million a year than Crabbe, for example, like $17-18 million or whatever he's making.

I just think you'll see with the way free agency goes this summer that 3 years/$30 million looks like a great deal.

Good point... maybe all the middling wings will be 3 years/$60M. Or maybe GMs learned from Portland last year, we will see.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#168 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:04 pm

3yr/ $36M per Sac Bee

enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#169 » by enderwilson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:19 pm

dckingsfan wrote:It is still overpaying... and that year 3 is when the $10M will hurt. Still a good move with a bad contract. Not really a way around that...

Not really. With the cap projected to go up every year, having a player of Bogdan's talents for *only* $10 million will be considered great value. In 3 years the stars and superstars of the league will be commanding $20 million. If Bogdan becomes a star or simply turns out to be just a good player, we win.

We have soooo much cap space, this hardly does any real damage. And given Vlade's current track record of FA contracts, he's been pretty good at making deals with an eye on the future.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: Welcome Bogdan Bogdanovic! 

Post#170 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:20 pm

enderwilson wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:It is still overpaying... and that year 3 is when the $10M will hurt. Still a good move with a bad contract. Not really a way around that...

Not really. With the cap projected to go up every year, having a player of Bogdan's talents for *only* $10 million will be considered great value. In 3 years the stars and superstars of the league will be commanding $20 million. If Bogdan becomes a star or simply turns out to be just a good player, we win.

We have soooo much cap space, this hardly does any real damage. And given Vlade's current track record of FA contracts, he's been pretty good at making deals with an eye on the future.

The belief the cap will go up is only a myth. Cap went down this year. Could go down again next year.

enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#171 » by enderwilson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:26 pm

City of Trees wrote:
enderwilson wrote:

The belief the cap will go up is only a myth. Cap went down this year. Could go down again next year.

OK then. I guess like with the stock market you can make projections, but they might not align with reality in the end.

Still though, the projections being what they are, the cap would have to go down quite a bit before a $10 million/year salary could be considered to be a corset on our cap space. And if it hurts for us, one can only imagine what it must be like for other teams and the contracts they have. We're not hurting in this regard IMO.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Welcome Bogdan Bogdanovic! 

Post#172 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:33 pm

enderwilson wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
enderwilson wrote:

OK then. I guess like with the stock market you can make projections, but they might not align with reality in the end.

Still though, the projections being what they are, the cap would have to go down quite a bit before a $10 million/year salary could be considered to be a corset on our cap space. And if it hurts for us, one can only imagine what it must be like for other teams and the contracts they have. We're not hurting in this regard IMO.

In a vacuum $12M doesn't hurt but let's just hope Vlade is playing chess not checkers.

Overall im ok with the signing

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#173 » by KF10 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Like I said in the trade board, it's only $2m more from the expected $10m. It's no big deal for me.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#174 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:53 pm

KF10 wrote:Like I said in the trade board, it's only $2m more from the expected $10m. It's no big deal for me.

Then let's do $14M - because it shouldn't be business. We need to make Bogdan feel good :)

And yes, if Vlade overspends then we need to nickname him checkers - cause he isn't looking many moves ahead.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#175 » by KF10 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:02 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
KF10 wrote:Like I said in the trade board, it's only $2m more from the expected $10m. It's no big deal for me.

Then let's do $14M - because it shouldn't be business. We need to make Bogdan feel good :)

And yes, if Vlade overspends then we need to nickname him checkers - cause he isn't looking many moves ahead.

Again, it's no big deal.

I said that 8-10 is the range I what expected to bring in Bogdan. An extra $2m isn't going to hurt anyone. It's more than I expected but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I don't understand what's all the fluff is about.
EuropeanBball
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#176 » by EuropeanBball » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Read on Twitter
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#177 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:17 pm

KF10 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Again, it's no big deal.

I said that 8-10 is the range I what expected to bring in Bogdan. An extra $2m isn't going to hurt anyone. It's more than I expected but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I don't understand what's all the fluff is about.

The point is you want to use your cap wisely. Each $2M you eat WILL make a difference later. Moving a $6M contract is much easier than a $10M contract. The good GMs know this and always end up slight ahead of the weaker GMs. Especially if the weaker GM is in a small market.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#178 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:19 pm

And there is a reason that if Bogdan Bogdanović signs 3yr/36mill$ contract with Kings, will be highest paid rookie (per season) in NBA history. It is because it isn't an good deal (for the Kings anyway).
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#179 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:25 pm

dckingsfan wrote:And there is a reason that if Bogdan Bogdanović signs 3yr/36mill$ contract with Kings, will be highest paid rookie (per season) in NBA history. It is because it isn't an good deal (for the Kings anyway).

Rookie salaries are capped so this stat doesn't hold a lot of weight with me. I'd like to see the % of current players who entered the league outside of the rookie wage scale. Bet Bogdonavic is one of the best players on that list.

Sir Psycho Sexy
Senior
And1: 502

Post#180 » by Sir Psycho Sexy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:34 pm

Even if you paid him like 3/50 I wouldn't think this is bad. It would be overpaying but it wouldn't hurt Sac at all. Kings won't be able to attract good FA in the next 2 years anyway

Return to Sacramento Kings