Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,710

Re: RE: Re: Welcome Bogdan Bogdanovic! 

Post#201 » by Sactowndog » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:30 am

dckingsfan wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:So apples to apples, rookie contracts #1 pick gets 1st Year Salary:$5,855,200. :)

I have no problem with the contract as long as he is twice as good as Karl-Anthony Towns, Anthony Davis and John Wall.

That logic makes no sense because if those players were allowed to negotiate they would make more than 3/ $36m

Agreed, and as long as we are talking logic and not emotion, it makes as much sense as paying $12M when you only needed to pay $6M.

I think the wanted to get him over here and starting to learn the Kings system. According to Voison, he is going to play summer league. It will be an introduction to the Kings schemes and help him hit the ground running. Might be worth the 6M or so to have a good start.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Welcome Bogdan Bogdanovic! 

Post#202 » by City of Trees » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:42 am

Sactowndog wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
City of Trees wrote:That logic makes no sense because if those players were allowed to negotiate they would make more than 3/ $36m

Agreed, and as long as we are talking logic and not emotion, it makes as much sense as paying $12M when you only needed to pay $6M.

I think the wanted to get him over here and starting to learn the Kings system. According to Voison, he is going to play summer league. It will be an introduction to the Kings schemes and help him hit the ground running. Might be worth the 6M or so to have a good start.

I thought she said he will be in SL attendance but wont play?

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#203 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:02 am

dckingsfan wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Agreed, and as long as we are talking logic and not emotion, it makes as much sense as paying $12M when you only needed to pay $6M.

But BB knows his value in the market. Just because he has no choice in who he signs with in the NBA this year doesn't mean you insult him by offering him a deal clearly under his talent level because that was was the level an inferior league paid him at. You give him market value and start the relationship off right.

Okay - I am clearly in the minority on this one :)

But I don't think you are insulting him if you give him more than he can make in Europe...

It's insulting to not give him fair market value.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,003

Post#204 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:04 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
But BB knows his value in the market. Just because he has no choice in who he signs with in the NBA this year doesn't mean you insult him by offering him a deal clearly under his talent level because that was was the level an inferior league paid him at. You give him market value and start the relationship off right.

Okay - I am clearly in the minority on this one :)

But I don't think you are insulting him if you give him more than he can make in Europe...

Its a business and there would be nothing insulting about the offer - by definition it isn't insulting - it is more than he would make elsewhere :)
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#205 » by City of Trees » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:06 am

dckingsfan wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Okay - I am clearly in the minority on this one :)

Its a business and there would be nothing insulting about the offer - by definition it isn't insulting - it is more than he would make elsewhere :)

Great. If you were GM you'd alienate the guy and Bogdan would stay in Europe. Congrats.

benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#206 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:07 am

dckingsfan wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Okay - I am clearly in the minority on this one :)

If you don't think players can be insulted by teams offering them a deal lower than their market value(especially in this kind of situation where we are the only bidder on this level), there is no use even discussing this with you.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Call Me Geoff
Junior
And1: 68

Re: Welcome Bogdan Bogdanovic! 

Post#207 » by Call Me Geoff » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:45 am

dckingsfan wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:And there is a reason that if Bogdan Bogdanović signs 3yr/36mill$ contract with Kings, will be highest paid rookie (per season) in NBA history. It is because it isn't an good deal (for the Kings anyway).

It's not a good deal for the Kings, it's a great deal.
This is the type of deal that lines up with the other young guys very well.
Here is an exercise, after this FA come up with a list of all players signed in the last 2 off season under 11m that are better than BB. I think you will be surprised.

So apples to apples, rookie contracts #1 pick gets 1st Year Salary:$5,855,200. :)

I have no problem with the contract as long as he is twice as good as Karl-Anthony Towns, Anthony Davis and John Wall.

This is flawed. Bogdanovic played over seas to avoid the rookie pay scale. He would have easily gotten a large raise with a commitment to stay at Fenerbache. The European contracts are valued much differently. Their values are posted after fees are paid, taxes are paid, agents are paid, etc. So when you see a player sign for $5m European think of it as after tax income. Then compare.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Senior
And1: 502

Post#208 » by Sir Psycho Sexy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:08 pm

dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#209 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:00 pm

Call Me Geoff wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:It's not a good deal for the Kings, it's a great deal.
This is the type of deal that lines up with the other young guys very well.
Here is an exercise, after this FA come up with a list of all players signed in the last 2 off season under 11m that are better than BB. I think you will be surprised.

So apples to apples, rookie contracts #1 pick gets 1st Year Salary:$5,855,200. :)

This is flawed. Bogdanovic played over seas to avoid the rookie pay scale. He would have easily gotten a large raise with a commitment to stay at Fenerbache. The European contracts are valued much differently. Their values are posted after fees are paid, taxes are paid, agents are paid, etc. So when you see a player sign for $5m European think of it as after tax income. Then compare.

Hmmm, I agreed with you but now that I am doing the research, this turns out not to be the case. So, the biggest salaries are roughly 3M€ = 3 x 1.14 = $3.43M
Adjust for taxes in Serbia
$3.43M * .75 = $2.57M
$2.57M/.5 (US Taxes) ~ $5.15M

So, anything over $6M is better than he could make in Europe - higher than I though. 12M = competing against yourself.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#210 » by City of Trees » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:11 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Call Me Geoff wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:So apples to apples, rookie contracts #1 pick gets 1st Year Salary:$5,855,200. :)

Hmmm, I agreed with you but now that I am doing the research, this turns out not to be the case. So, the biggest salaries are roughly 3M€ = 3 x 1.14 = $3.43M
$3.43M * .75 = $2.57M

So, anything over $6M is better than he could make in Europe - higher than I though. 12M = competing against yourself.
this will be my last post since I feel it's going in circles.

Now factor in motivation to move to a foreign country, giving up his Stardom, and leaving his friends and family.

Fact is we weren't in the negotiations. Bogdonavic could have declined to play and the Kings could have lost out on him. Obviously $6M wasn't gonna fly.

dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#211 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:13 pm

City of Trees wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
Call Me Geoff wrote:This is flawed. Bogdanovic played over seas to avoid the rookie pay scale. He would have easily gotten a large raise with a commitment to stay at Fenerbache. The European contracts are valued much differently. Their values are posted after fees are paid, taxes are paid, agents are paid, etc. So when you see a player sign for $5m European think of it as after tax income. Then compare.

$3.43M * .75 = $2.57M

Now factor in motivation to move to a foreign country, giving up his Stardom, and leaving his friends and family.

Fact is we weren't in the negotiations. Bogdonavic could have declined to play and the Kings could have lost out on him. Obviously $6M wasn't gonna fly.

Fair enough... but $12 :lol:
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#212 » by City of Trees » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:21 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Hmmm, I agreed with you but now that I am doing the research, this turns out not to be the case. So, the biggest salaries are roughly 3M€ = 3 x 1.14 = $3.43M
$3.43M * .75 = $2.57M

Fair enough... but $12 :lol:

Hey I'd remember this thread if I were you. If you're right this is one hell of a bump thread.

EuropeanBball
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#213 » by EuropeanBball » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:26 pm

@dckings fan
You cant count taxes from Serbia, he is playing in Turkey. And you obviously didnt understand, if he is payed 3M in Europe, thats it, he is going to make 3 milions, taxes & staf like that are covered by club.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#214 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:31 pm

EuropeanBball wrote:@dckings fan
You cant count taxes from Serbia, he is playing in Turkey. And you obviously didnt understand, if he is payed 3M in Europe, thats it, he is going to make 3 milions, taxes & staf like that are covered by club.

Ah, then I was high - 35% vs. 25% in Serbia. But alas, that probably doesn't matter.

I did understand what you were saying - but my research didn't agree with your statement. "Some" clubs pay the taxes but not all, from what I understand. And yes they do receive expenses, but NBA players also receive per diem. I believe from what I researched, the athlete still pays a 15% tax.

Still - no matter how you spin it - we overpaid at $12M.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#215 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:09 pm

dckingsfan wrote:

Ah, then I was high - 35% vs. 25% in Serbia. But alas, that probably doesn't matter.

I did understand what you were saying - but my research didn't agree with your statement. "Some" clubs pay the taxes but not all, from what I understand. And yes they do receive expenses, but NBA players also receive per diem. I believe from what I researched, the athlete still pays a 15% tax.

No, we didn't. You just don't understand market value and/or have dug your heels in and are too big headed to admit you're wrong.

What he was paid in Europe DOESN'T MATTER. Completely different market.

What his value is compared to NBA players, salaries, potential, skills, production and progression does.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 601

Post#216 » by madskillz8 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:24 pm

Well, 12M per year is above my expectations (was expecting in between 8-10M) while it's a fair market value for him. As benchmobbin02 suggested market value is an important thing while negotiating a deal with a guy- who's already making big amounts of money- to make such important adjustments for his career. He's a star in an important competition and fans were adoring him. It's hard to value such things by dollars. We'll better evaluate this at the end of next season, for now it's not an looking as an overpay.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#217 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:57 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

No, we didn't. You just don't understand market value and/or have dug your heels in and are too big headed to admit you're wrong.

What his value is compared to NBA players, salaries, potential, skills, production and progression does.

I may have dug my heals in - but not because I am afraid to admit I am wrong. More like I am stubborn and think I am right.

I think he is overpaid even by the production he had in Europe and how other Europeans with similar stats have translated.

But let's agree to disagree and revisit in a year. I don't think I am changing any opinions here - and mine isn't going to change - so as someone said, we are going in circles.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#218 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:56 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Ah, then I was high - 35% vs. 25% in Serbia. But alas, that probably doesn't matter.

I may have dug my heals in - but not because I am afraid to admit I am wrong. More like I am stubborn and think I am right.

I think he is overpaid even by the production he had in Europe and how other Europeans with similar stats have translated.

But let's agree to disagree and revisit in a year. I don't think I am changing any opinions here - and mine isn't going to change - so as someone said, we are going in circles.

But you're still comparing him to other Euros when there is no good comparison because of production, age, accolades and rate of salary increase in the league all weighing in. The team rightly took those things and comped him with contracts signed by other SG-SFs of a similar age and skillset and came up with a fair contract. The market and rate of pay increases according to last years gains.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,530

Post#219 » by codydaze » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:41 am

Read on Twitter

3 years $27 million sounds a lot better if true. Even if fully guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
EuropeanBball
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#220 » by EuropeanBball » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:51 am

Interesting facts:
Both Vlade Divac and Bogdan Bogdanovic played for Partizan Belgrade (Vlade from 1986 to 1989, Bogdan 2010-2014). Both was drafted when they was players of Partizan. In Partizan, both was coached by same head coach - Dusko Vujosevic.

Return to Sacramento Kings