ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA 2017 Draft thread. 5th pick and 10th pick.

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,504

Re: Pick tracker and prospect thread. 6th (our own) 2 back of #5 pick / 8th (Pels pick), 0.5 back of #7 pick. 

Post#381 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:22 am

Well, at least Philly lost today. We are getting dangerously close to passing them in the standings. The Magic's tank game is too strong for us, though.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Re: Pick tracker and prospect thread. 6th (our own) 2 back of #5 pick / 8th (Pels pick), 0.5 back of #7 pick. 

Post#382 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:35 am

I watched a lot of video today on Smith Jr and Ntilikina. I have to go with Smith Jr. One thing I thought of though is possibly drafting both. Take Smith #6 and Ntilikina #9. I know we need a SF and I'd take Bridges over Isaac at #9 but if we took 2 PG's (with Ntilikina's size he can also play SG) and threw max offer at Otto Porter we'd be good. I'd still like to somehow get Ojeleye and possibly Oliver. Let the youngins develop with playing time. Maybe just sign solid veteran PG. Someone like Patty Mills but I highly doubt he'd leave Spurs.

PG Smith/Ntilikina/Mills
SG Hield/Bogdanovic/Temple
SF Porter/Richardson/Ojeleye
PF Labissiere/Tolliver/Oliver
C Cauley-Stein/Koufos/Papagiannis
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#383 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:05 am

PetrieUnderstudy wrote:I watched a lot of video today on Smith Jr and Ntilikina. I have to go with Smith Jr. One thing I thought of though is possibly drafting both. Take Smith #6 and Ntilikina #9. I know we need a SF and I'd take Bridges over Isaac at #9 but if we took 2 PG's (with Ntilikina's size he can also play SG) and threw max offer at Otto Porter we'd be good. I'd still like to somehow get Ojeleye and possibly Oliver. Let the youngins develop with playing time. Maybe just sign solid veteran PG. Someone like Patty Mills but I highly doubt he'd leave Spurs.

PG Smith/Ntilikina/Mills

Ojeleye is nice. Hard to believe that is a second round prospect right now. Would love to grab our top pick then trade down with our next say from our 9 to Portland's 12 and add another 1st rd pick. Pipe dream, of course, but that's all we have right now while there are still games to play.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#384 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 pm

6. Sacramento: PG De’Aaron Fox
Freshman
Ht./Wt.: 6-4/171
Kentucky

The Kings have been looking for a long-term answer at point guard for years, and will certainly be attracted by Fox’s speed, creativity and defensive intensity. He’s an unselfish player who excels in the open court and could complement fellow Kentucky Wildcats Willie Cauley-Stein and Skal Labissiere, as well as sharpshooter Buddy Hield.

9. Sacramento (via New Orleans): SF/PF Jonathan Isaac
Freshman
Ht./Wt.: 6-11/205
Florida State

The Kings are shallow at the forward spots and will need to take a long look at Isaac. He has the versatility to play the three or the four because of his quick feet, deep range and rebounding ability. He’s an unselfish player who isn’t afraid to mix it up inside and could offer flexibility alongside either Skal Labissiere or Willie Cauley-Stein as a stretch four.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-vertical-mock-draft-version-2-0-135637001.html
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#385 » by KF10 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:22 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
6. Sacramento: PG De’Aaron Fox
Freshman
Ht./Wt.: 6-4/171
Kentucky

The Kings have been looking for a long-term answer at point guard for years, and will certainly be attracted by Fox’s speed, creativity and defensive intensity. He’s an unselfish player who excels in the open court and could complement fellow Kentucky Wildcats Willie Cauley-Stein and Skal Labissiere, as well as sharpshooter Buddy Hield.

9. Sacramento (via New Orleans): SF/PF Jonathan Isaac
Freshman
Ht./Wt.: 6-11/205
Florida State

The Kings are shallow at the forward spots and will need to take a long look at Isaac. He has the versatility to play the three or the four because of his quick feet, deep range and rebounding ability. He’s an unselfish player who isn’t afraid to mix it up inside and could offer flexibility alongside either Skal Labissiere or Willie Cauley-Stein as a stretch four.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-vertical-mock-draft-version-2-0-135637001.html

DSJ v Fox would be a tough decision for me, though.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#386 » by 916fan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 pm

I think DSJ is easily the 3rd best PG in this draft. He's slightly undersized, but makes up for it with his elite athleticism and explosiveness. His attitude was absolutely crap at NCST, but I think it can be fixed. If he can put it all together, I think he has a chance of ending up as the best PG in this class.
tyguy
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#387 » by tyguy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:53 pm

This upcoming draft is pivotal. Being able to grab two great rookies would be huge for this franchise. This draft is very deep. Lonzo Ball is the clear cut #1 guy in my opinion. I'm not in love with Fultz at all. Ball is looking like Jason Kidd but with a better and weirder jump shot. His efficiency and talent level are just absurd. I don't care if his dad is obnoxious; this kid can really play the game at a high level.

The way I see it we have to come out of this draft with a point guard and a small forward. No two ways about it. Lucky fr us this draft has both in spades where we are drafting. Not counting ball who is my favorite player in this draft. My other two favs are Jonathan Isaac and Frank Ntilikina.

Isaac is an outstanding defender with great size to be able to swicth a lot of positions defensively. He also scores with great efficiency both from the floor and overall when counting freethrows.

Frank Ntilikina looks like a freak to me, and this is a game of freaks. LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Rody Gobert, greek freak, ect. I can go on and on. A 6'5" point guard with a 6'11" wingspan is exciting to say the least. The defensive potential is through the roof. This guy thrives in the pick and roll as a ball handler which is the most ran set in the NBA and he has good form on that jump shot. He can take and make shots off the bounce too which is critical.

Smit isn't looking like much of a defender, which concerns me. At best I think he will be average defensively carrying a 1 DBPM with an absolutely horrid 109 DRTG. That is a big, big concern for me.

De'Aaron Fox has much better defense, but his offense isn't quite as good as Smith. His efficiency is average and he has a weak wing span. Lonzo Ball and Frank Ntilikina look like the two best point guards in this draft.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#388 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:12 pm

PetrieUnderstudy wrote:I watched a lot of video today on Smith Jr and Ntilikina. I have to go with Smith Jr. One thing I thought of though is possibly drafting both. Take Smith #6 and Ntilikina #9. I know we need a SF and I'd take Bridges over Isaac at #9 but if we took 2 PG's (with Ntilikina's size he can also play SG) and threw max offer at Otto Porter we'd be good. I'd still like to somehow get Ojeleye and possibly Oliver. Let the youngins develop with playing time. Maybe just sign solid veteran PG. Someone like Patty Mills but I highly doubt he'd leave Spurs.

PG Smith/Ntilikina/Mills

Personally, I'm not too keen on the Kings having two rookie PG's manning the show. If they do draft a PG I'd like to see someone like DC brought back so the team isn't complete and total crap at the start. Darren in particular has been extremely vocal on the floor and has been helping the rookies, especially Skal, a lot. Telling guys where to be and stuff.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#389 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:13 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:

PG Smith/Ntilikina/Mills

Personally, I'm not too keen on the Kings having two rookie PG's manning the show. If they do draft a PG I'd like to see someone like DC brought back so the team isn't complete and total crap at the start. Darren in particular has been extremely vocal on the floor and has been helping the rookies, especially Skal, a lot. Telling guys where to be and stuff.

I agree a vet PG would be needed. That's why I suggested Patty Mills. I'd prefer him over Collison but Darren would be viable option. Mills wouldn't "demand" minutes Collison would. He could begin as starter which he's never been then transition into customary back up role like with Spurs. He's always been underpaid so Kings could throw money at him. The vets on the team would be Mills. Temple, Porter, Tolliver & Koufos. The other 10 guys would be 3 years or less in league. Pointing at 2018 for playoff push.
c3j3h
Senior
And1: 135

Post#390 » by c3j3h » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:25 am

tyguy wrote:This upcoming draft is pivotal. Being able to grab two great rookies would be huge for this franchise. This draft is very deep. Lonzo Ball is the clear cut #1 guy in my opinion. I'm not in love with Fultz at all. Ball is looking like Jason Kidd but with a better and weirder jump shot. His efficiency and talent level are just absurd. I don't care if his dad is obnoxious; this kid can really play the game at a high level.

The way I see it we have to come out of this draft with a point guard and a small forward. No two ways about it. Lucky fr us this draft has both in spades where we are drafting. Not counting ball who is my favorite player in this draft. My other two favs are Jonathan Isaac and Frank Ntilikina.

Isaac is an outstanding defender with great size to be able to swicth a lot of positions defensively. He also scores with great efficiency both from the floor and overall when counting freethrows.

Frank Ntilikina looks like a freak to me, and this is a game of freaks. LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Rody Gobert, greek freak, ect. I can go on and on. A 6'5" point guard with a 6'11" wingspan is exciting to say the least. The defensive potential is through the roof. This guy thrives in the pick and roll as a ball handler which is the most ran set in the NBA and he has good form on that jump shot. He can take and make shots off the bounce too which is critical.

Smit isn't looking like much of a defender, which concerns me. At best I think he will be average defensively carrying a 1 DBPM with an absolutely horrid 109 DRTG. That is a big, big concern for me.

De'Aaron Fox has much better defense, but his offense isn't quite as good as Smith. His efficiency is average and he has a weak wing span. Lonzo Ball and Frank Ntilikina look like the two best point guards in this draft.

Was going to say that I agree with all of this (except for the part about Ball>Fultz), but you really lost me at the end. Putting Ntilikina over Fultz is insane. Fultz is going to be a star.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#391 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:59 am

I have doubts about Isaac because of his non NBA ready body. Mostly based on a convo I had with SacKingzzz, I believe, outlining that we only have 2 yrs to maximize with these young guys and I don't know if Isaac will be developed enough to help in the way we'll need in the SF position. Of course, I think he'll be great in time but Tatum, both Bridges, Anunoby, Brooks and even Ojeleye are all better option IMO to produce right away.

Just depends on how far you are looking ahead and your draft philosophy.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#392 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:16 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:I have doubts about Isaac because of his non NBA ready body. Mostly based on a convo I had with SacKingzzz, I believe, outlining that we only have 2 yrs to maximize with these young guys and I don't know if Isaac will be developed enough to help in the way we'll need in the SF position. Of course, I think he'll be great in time but Tatum, both Bridges, Anunoby, Brooks and even Ojeleye are all better option IMO to produce right away.

That's not exactly the main focal point of what I was talking about or at least not to that extent. The time was and is ticking on developing the older guys to their full potential but the more pressing issue would be knowing who the players are and what they might be worth before their rookie deals are up. The good thing about older players like Hield is they tend to be more developed already and we are seeing that right now with Buddy. And don't forget when rebuilding you also have to look at your young players as potential assets to be moved should they not fit into the vision of the team you are trying to build around the players you have designated as your core. There is no reason to trudge out the same tired veteran rotations that will never build value for your team. Simply wasting a rookie season shouldn't have been an option and since then the focus has indeed shifted to the young guys.

There are plenty of the 1 and done players in this draft that shouldn't take years to develop into anything beneficial for the team. If this draft is what it's really cracked up to be then these guys should hit the ground running. Isaac is skinny but I think he's wiry. He's pretty sturdy so I think he'll be OK physically right from the get. He probably needs to put on about 15 pounds or so but he has a decent frame. If he were that skinny and awkward I think there might be reason for concern but he's not. Bridges, Anunoby, and Ojeleye are obvious beasts coming in to the league. So there is value there as well.
c3j3h
Senior

Post#393 » by c3j3h » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:17 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:I have doubts about Isaac because of his non NBA ready body. Mostly based on a convo I had with SacKingzzz, I believe, outlining that we only have 2 yrs to maximize with these young guys and I don't know if Isaac will be developed enough to help in the way we'll need in the SF position. Of course, I think he'll be great in time but Tatum, both Bridges, Anunoby, Brooks and even Ojeleye are all better option IMO to produce right away.

Wait why would we only have 2 years to develop somebody? What's the rush? This doesn't make sense.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: Pick tracker and prospect thread. 6th (our own) 2 back of #5 pick / 8th (Pels pick), 0.5 back of #7 pick. 

Post#394 » by City of Trees » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:40 am

c3j3h wrote:

Wait why would we only have 2 years to develop somebody? What's the rush? This doesn't make sense.
This.

Yeah Vlade has two years, not the player.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
nolimit0820
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#395 » by nolimit0820 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:26 am

Foxx and Isaac are my two picks. Isaac easily may be a top 3 pick when reflecting back in 5 years. Skill set is there on both ends. Tools are there. Has the ability to put up numbers offensively.

Those two and their length change games. Imagine the length on the floor.

Foxx
Hield
Isaac
Skal
WCS

And then add Malachi in that mix. I'm a fan of Foxx too. Jumper potential is there and can be worked on. He's creative, unselfish, long and athletic. Love the versatility of that line up. Talk about positionless basketball.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#396 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:45 am

c3j3h wrote:

You are only getting part of the convo. I was more talking about the talent all being ready to really contribute to a playoff team and being under team control at the same time. With WCS and this years guys all looking ready to take the next step, it would be nice to have someone that can come in and contribute in short fashion instead of taking 2-3yrs to be a good player and have an NBA ready body.

Of course, that is only part of what a team would look at but it was something I was thinking about when looking at the SF position.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Re: RE: Re: Pick tracker and prospect thread. 6th (our own) 2 back of #5 pick / 8th (Pels pick), 0.5 back of #7 pick. 

Post#397 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:46 am

City of Trees wrote:
c3j3h wrote:

This.

Yeah Vlade has two years, not the player.

Oversimplification but I see what your saying. see above for what I was getting at.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#398 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:54 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:

That's not exactly the main focal point of what I was talking about or at least not to that extent. The time was and is ticking on developing the older guys to their full potential but the more pressing issue would be knowing who the players are and what they might be worth before their rookie deals are up. The good thing about older players like Hield is they tend to be more developed already and we are seeing that right now with Buddy. And don't forget when rebuilding you also have to look at your young players as potential assets to be moved should they not fit into the vision of the team you are trying to build around the players you have designated as your core. There is no reason to trudge out the same tired veteran rotations that will never build value for your team. Simply wasting a rookie season shouldn't have been an option and since then the focus has indeed shifted to the young guys.

There are plenty of the 1 and done players in this draft that shouldn't take years to develop into anything beneficial for the team. If this draft is what it's really cracked up to be then these guys should hit the ground running. Isaac is skinny but I think he's wiry. He's pretty sturdy so I think he'll be OK physically right from the get. He probably needs to put on about 15 pounds or so but he has a decent frame. If he were that skinny and awkward I think there might be reason for concern but he's not. Bridges, Anunoby, and Ojeleye are obvious beasts coming in to the league. So there is value there as well.

That's your opinion on Isaac. I'm not so sure. He strikes me as a guy that is gonna get pushed around til he adds weight and polish and I can see that taking 2-3 years like it did for Giannis. In other words, I don't think it's a one year project but more like a 3 year project. Time will tell. Just my view of him. BTW, not a bad thing. Just something to think about when selecting.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
c3j3h
Senior

Post#399 » by c3j3h » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:04 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:
c3j3h wrote:

You are only getting part of the convo. I was more talking about the talent all being ready to really contribute to a playoff team and being under team control at the same time. With WCS and this years guys all looking ready to take the next step, it would be nice to have someone that can come in and contribute in short fashion instead of taking 2-3yrs to be a good player and have an NBA ready body.

Of course, that is only part of what a team would look at but it was something I was thinking about when looking at the SF position.

Are you serious? These guys are not ready to be a playoff team. Your entire premise is flawed here.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#400 » by City of Trees » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:16 am

Right now I'll take potential/higher ceilings over NBA ready/lower ceiling guys ... this is a rebuild, you go for the best projected players you can find.

Return to Sacramento Kings