ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA 2017 Draft thread. 5th pick and 10th pick.

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: NBA 2017 Draft thread. 8th pick and 10th (Pelicans) pick. Draft Lottery is at May 16. 

Post#661 » by City of Trees » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Would anyone like the Kings to trade for CJ McCollum?

Ages:
McCollum (25)
Hield (23)
Bogdonavic (25) / Richardson (21)
Skal (20)
WCS (23)/Papa (20)

That's a great young core.

Probably costs at least both 8+10 and taking back a bad contract, say Meyers Leonard (3yrs, $9+ mill per season) and/or Evan Turner (3yrs, roughly $17 mil per)

Still wonder if the Blazers would go this direction, but man that would be awesome for Sac.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app

McCullum isn't s pg but that's another discussion, why in the world would they trade him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I can see only two scenarios as to why Portland would trade him, 1) use CJ plus picks to upgrade, or 2) use CJ plus bad contracts to erase the horrible offseason signings last season. Obviously blazers fans will scream option #1, but #2 is approaching fast with the team already pressed for cash and paydays for Nurkic/McCollum approaching.

benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Re: RE: Re: NBA 2017 Draft thread. 8th pick and 10th (Pelicans) pick. Draft Lottery is at May 16. 

Post#662 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:21 pm

City of Trees wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Would anyone like the Kings to trade for CJ McCollum?

Ages:
McCollum (25)
Hield (23)
Bogdonavic (25) / Richardson (21)
Skal (20)
WCS (23)/Papa (20)

That's a great young core.

Probably costs at least both 8+10 and taking back a bad contract, say Meyers Leonard (3yrs, $9+ mill per season) and/or Evan Turner (3yrs, roughly $17 mil per)

Still wonder if the Blazers would go this direction, but man that would be awesome for Sac.

McCullum isn't s pg but that's another discussion, why in the world would they trade him.

I can see only two scenarios as to why Portland would trade him, 1) use CJ plus picks to upgrade, or 2) use CJ plus bad contracts to erase the horrible offseason signings last season. Obviously blazers fans will scream option #1, but #2 is approaching fast with the team already pressed for cash and paydays for Nurkic/McCollum approaching.

I don't think they move CJ til they have a whole season with him, Dame and Nurkic together. It showed signs that it could be a very good core. Now moving someone else may happen if they want to move some money. The whole point of all the signings was that they were commiting to this group to make a 2-3 yr run. I think they just replace someone with a big deal with Nurkic in 2018. Probably Turner.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: NBA 2017 Draft thread. 8th pick and 10th (Pelicans) pick. Draft Lottery is at May 16. 

Post#663 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:Frank Jackson testing the waters is a bit of a surprise. I think he was way underutilized at Duke and IMO is someone I would easily consider at 8 or 10. I think he's got some major sleeper potential.

I hope you don't mean 8 or 10 in the 1st round

In terms of potential and pure talent level I would. I think he's the type you could gamble on. If I were a team with only 1 pick I might think different but I considered him one of the more interesting projects coming in to college this year.
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,702

Re: NBA 2017 Draft thread. 8th pick and 10th (Pelicans) pick. Draft Lottery is at May 16. 

Post#664 » by JohnWillow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:01 pm

City of Trees why Portland would need like five first round picks in the 2017 draft lmao

I would say no to CJ McCollum tbh. I like him as a player, but I don't want to trade our picks.
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#665 » by City of Trees » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:51 pm

JohnWillow wrote:City of Trees why Portland would need like five first round picks in the 2017 draft lmao

I would say no to CJ McCollum tbh. I like him as a player, but I don't want to trade our picks.

Outside of 8 and 10 from the Kings, only pick of real value for Portland would be 15. Those other two picks aren't guaranteed building blocks.

You'd say no to McCollum? Wow. McCollum is an All Star in the making IMO

enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#666 » by enderwilson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:16 pm

What about a different trade with Portland for their 15? I saw on STR they're talking about taking on some of Portland's big contracts for some of their later draft picks. I'm thinking that we should try to acquire their 15th pick by taking on some of their less desirable contracts giving them the freedom to retain some of their valuable players.

This means we will likely have to take on Evan Turner's contract who is owed over $17mil/yr for the next three. However we can absorb this and will potentially help us meet the minimum, especially since we're not going to attract any significant FA in the near future. But what we'll likely get in exchange is Og Anunoby with the 15th pick, who looks like a solid multi-position forward 2-way player type and one I see several people coveting on this thread.

Trade
Portland: Turner + 15th
Sac: Afflalo (Portland can buy out to relieve more cap room) + 32nd

Sac drafts: Issac, Ntilikna, and Og Anunoby
-Bogdanovic comes from overseas
-Retain one of Ty or Collison
-Assume Tyreke, Rudy, and Ben are gone
-Retain Temple and Tolliver (what I believe most want)

Depth looks like
1: Ty, Ntilikna
2: Temple, Heild, Bogdanovic, Richardson, Galloway?
3: Turner*, Issac, Anounby
4: Skal, Tolliver
5: WCS, Kosta, FA?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#667 » by City of Trees » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:33 pm

Kings need to spend money and with Afflalo likely gone I don't see why a deal couldn't be done.

benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#668 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:07 am

City of Trees wrote:Kings need to spend money and with Afflalo likely gone I don't see why a deal couldn't be done.

Because it would give us 5-6 SG that all deserve mniutes. It would be sloppy team building tho CJ is a great player.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#669 » by City of Trees » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Kings need to spend money and with Afflalo likely gone I don't see why a deal couldn't be done.

Because it would give us 5-6 SG that all deserve mniutes. It would be sloppy team building tho CJ is a great player.

My post you quoted was in response to enderwilson.

But to your point, I'd play McCollum at point, because, why not? He can play PG and I understand he's not a stopper by any means. McCollum at point is similar to Curry IMO, minus the ridiculous range.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#670 » by sacking123 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:01 am

enderwilson wrote:What about a different trade with Portland for their 15? I saw on STR they're talking about taking on some of Portland's big contracts for some of their later draft picks. I'm thinking that we should try to acquire their 15th pick by taking on some of their less desirable contracts giving them the freedom to retain some of their valuable players.

This means we will likely have to take on Evan Turner's contract who is owed over $17mil/yr for the next three. However we can absorb this and will potentially help us meet the minimum, especially since we're not going to attract any significant FA in the near future. But what we'll likely get in exchange is Og Anunoby with the 15th pick, who looks like a solid multi-position forward 2-way player type and one I see several people coveting on this thread.

Trade
Portland: Turner + 15th
Sac: Afflalo (Portland can buy out to relieve more cap room) + 32nd

Sac drafts: Issac, Ntilikna, and Og Anunoby
-Bogdanovic comes from overseas
-Retain one of Ty or Collison
-Assume Tyreke, Rudy, and Ben are gone
-Retain Temple and Tolliver (what I believe most want)

Depth looks like
1: Ty, Ntilikna
2: Temple, Heild, Bogdanovic, Richardson, Galloway?
3: Turner*, Issac, Anounby
4: Skal, Tolliver
5: WCS, Kosta, FA?

Why would we give a 2nd rounder?
The idea is there but we shouldn't be adding assets.
Because in this scenario I would actually like to see the Kings essentially start a Bighorns draft. #15 and 2nd rounder both drafted to play for Reno.
Perhaps gain another late 1st for space as well.
The NBA will soon enough have roster spaces for both NBA and G-League teams under the NBA team, give or take a few spots on the latter. It would be wise to position ourselves to be leaders in the development area.
Anyway that's getting off track, but overall I love the idea, I just don't think we need to add assets to relieve a team of their mistakes.

Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#671 » by Jkam31 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:27 am

Smh Evan Turner

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#672 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:22 am

City of Trees wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

My post you quoted was in response to enderwilson.

But to your point, I'd play McCollum at point, because, why not? He can play PG and I understand he's not a stopper by any means. McCollum at point is similar to Curry IMO, minus the ridiculous range.

Since you didn't actually reply to that comment I didn't know...

I guess I could see that scenario. That would mean that we'd need another facilitator on the floor with CJ tho like Draymond is for Curry. Bogdan would fit that role if his game translates to the NBA similarly to how he played in Turkey.

But as I said before, I doubt they move CJ without one more run at the Warriors with the current core.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
enderwilson
Pro Prospect

Post#673 » by enderwilson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:40 pm

Jkam31 wrote:Smh Evan Turner

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

With his salary, I felt the same. But if I turn my head sideways, the glass seems half full.

We have to make the minimum since Rudy's salary will also be off the books. For our rebuilding team Evans would be better for the development of our young players that Rudy because he won't be a ball stopper, and his talent level wont be insurmountable when it comes to offering playing time. He also seems like a decent character, moving away from the cycle of bringing in vets on parole. Plus it provides a missing veteran presence at another position that we've been historically shallow at.

As a rebuild, I like the idea because Turner is a short term anchor for the prospect of getting two great future SF.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect

Post#674 » by enderwilson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:55 pm

simonbampfield wrote:Why would we give a 2nd rounder?

I'm thinking that other teams will want that 15th and be able to take salary off POR books. For that reason, just taking Turner wont be enough. I feel the 32nd would sweeten the deal to make it happen.

The idea is there but we shouldn't be adding assets.
Because in this scenario I would actually like to see the Kings essentially start a Bighorns draft. #15 and 2nd rounder both drafted to play for Reno.
Perhaps gain another late 1st for space as well.

From Portland? If we're going after their other picks then we're going to have to take on even more of their assets and I'm not sure who we should take. Maybe Meyers Leonard? Harkless would gut their SF position and I'm not sure they'd be OK with that.

If not Portland, where would another late 1st round come from?

The NBA will soon enough have roster spaces for both NBA and G-League teams under the NBA team, give or take a few spots on the latter. It would be wise to position ourselves to be leaders in the development area.
Anyway that's getting off track, but overall I love the idea, I just don't think we need to add assets to relieve a team of their mistakes.

I hear that, and I'm a bit skittish about the idea given how much of straight jacket Thompandry was to this team when it came to having cap space for free agents. Now? Are we going after big ticket free agents? How will we make the minimum if Rudy, Ben, and Tyreke go? We need something that will take up salary, and this way we get assets that help with the rebuild.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#675 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:39 pm

If we could luck out and get Dennis Smith Jr and Jonathan Isaac with the 8th and 10th picks like some mocks have indicated I say we come away from the draft as happy fans. If we could get say Smith at 8th and no one else is of great ok interest at 10 then I'm all for trading back with Blazers and drafting Semi Ojeleye and Jawun Evans. But to add a pick by taking on a bad contract doesn't excite me. I like some of what Evan Turner could bring but I have no interest at what he's making. I'd rather throw free agent money at guys that fit what we're looking for moving forward like Joe Ingles and JaMychal Green. Good, well-rounded basketball players. They aren't stars but they'll make the team better both offensively and defensively. The Kings will need to hope Smith or 2018 pick (Porter or Doncic hopefully) becomes the star.

PG Dennis Smith Jr/Ty Lawson/Jawun Evans
SG Buddy Hield/Bogdan Bogdanovic/Malachi Richardson
SF Joe Ingles/Garrett Temple/Semi Ojeleye
PF Skal Labissiere/JaMychal Green/Cameron Oliver
C Willie Cauley-Stein/Kosta Koufos/Georgios Papagiannis
han320
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#676 » by han320 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:21 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think we should use both our lottery picks on point guards. Isaac probably won't make it past the Wolves and Anunoby would be a reach at 10. So between DSJ/Fox/Ntilikna, we could take two out of three. We can go for our long term SF with the 2018 pick.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect

Post#677 » by enderwilson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:39 pm

If in the draft we don't take a SF, this means going after one in FA in the short term. While we have a glut of SGs that could potentially slide over to the 3, we will essentially be vacant at that spot.

Who would we target in FA?
(topic for another thread?)

Edit: Apart from Engles and Green re PetrieUnder.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#678 » by City of Trees » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:34 pm

If they miss on SF I would offer HUGE money to Otto Porter, as many have stated. His stats and advanced stats all look great. Improved in just about every category each year. His career looks very bright. Hell, even if they land Isaac I'd still try to sign Porter he's only 23, height 6'8" with elite wingspan of 7'1". Yup. Sign me up.

PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#679 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:48 pm

City of Trees wrote:If they miss on SF I would offer HUGE money to Otto Porter, as many have stated. His stats and advanced stats all look great. Improved in just about every category each year. His career looks very bright. Hell, even if they land Isaac I'd still try to sign Porter he's only 23, height 6'8" with elite wingspan of 7'1". Yup. Sign me up.

I like Porter but he would require max offer and even then Wizards might match. If Rudy opts in how about we send him home to Wiz and Wiz sign/trade Porter to us. It gives Wiz a SF, Rudy would be happy going home, and Porter at 23 fits in with young team and doesn't need ball in his hands. He is a nice 3rd option. But is a max to much to offer a 3rd option? I'd like to see DSJ and Hield or Bogdanovic as top options. Skal would be about same option potentially as Porter.

If we don't go all in for Porter I want to see us go after Joe Ingles. Never realized how well rounded he is on offense with ball handling, passing, and shooting plus looks good on defense.

For a lot less money Ingles probably makes more sense than Porter. I don't see Porter becoming a star and over $20 million per year is a lot of money. Since Ingles game isn't predicated on athleticism I'd sign him up to 5 years $70 million. Jazz won't be able to match.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#680 » by City of Trees » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:56 pm

Hard pass on Joe Ingles 5 yrs $70 million, dude turns 30 years old in October.

I actually like your S&T idea Porter for Gay. Wiz get a look at him on cheap team friendly deal, Gay gets to play on a playoff team.

I'd happily sign Porter to 5 years $105 million.

Lawson/ Ntilikina / #34
Hield/ Bogdonavic/Temple
Porter/ Isaac/ Richardson
Skal/ Tolliver
WCS/ Papa / Koufos

Return to Sacramento Kings