ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Buddy Hield!

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Free Buddy Hield! 

Post#21 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 pm

BetterCallSaul wrote:Why the hell is Buddy Hield only playing 23mpg this season?

Dave Joerger is the type of coach who will find a way to impact the game the only way a coach really can, subbing players in by the seat of his pants like it's a 2k video game. Coaches that do that however don't typically find themselves in the big seat for too long.
alessandro3945
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#22 » by alessandro3945 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:49 am

BetterCallSaul wrote:Why the hell is Buddy Hield only playing 23mpg this season?

For some reason Joerger has to start vince carter and make zbo look like an allstar instead of developing his young players and building for the future.
I'm all for bringing in vets to tutor the younger player but what he is doing is crazy.
someone had to be me, it might as well be me
TacoBell
Sophomore
And1: 86

Post#23 » by TacoBell » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:10 am

My guess is they're trying to keep Zbos and Hills trade value for potential trade bait. We'll see what happens after the all star break.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: Free Buddy Hield! 

Post#24 » by City of Trees » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:47 am

TacoBell wrote:My guess is they're trying to keep Zbos and Hills trade value for potential trade bait. We'll see what happens after the all star break.

Na man I think Joerger is all in on Wins....and we all know he values vets over young guys

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Re: RE: Re: Free Buddy Hield! 

Post#25 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:14 pm

City of Trees wrote:
TacoBell wrote:My guess is they're trying to keep Zbos and Hills trade value for potential trade bait. We'll see what happens after the all star break.

Na man I think Joerger is all in on Wins....and we all know he values vets over young guys

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

I think you are the one who posted the Zach Randolph Big Brother quote?

My only hope on this season is that Joerger is working with the young guys and getting them to understand the value of wins. Running Randolph/Temple/Koufos/Hill huge minutes isn't ideal, but ill reserve judgement since we have so many rookies.

My only hope is by years end Hield/Bogdan/Fox/Mason/Jackson/WCS are all getting the lions share of the minutes.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#26 » by pelifan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:21 am

Play Buddy more. Give him a Curry green light to see what he can do.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,209

Post#27 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:54 am

Is the Sacramento FO still as high on buddy as they were when they acquired him?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Post#28 » by dozencousins » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:12 am

This is a very easy answer :

Were as Buddy can shot the ball no doubt . He does not play defense and cannot handle the ball well at all . When he handles the ball to much he turns the ball over especially when pressured . Between that and no D you do not get more minutes .
This is about as an easy answer as there is . If he starts playing D & he stops turning the ball over and learns how to handle the rock and value the ball he would play far more !
nolimit0820
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#29 » by nolimit0820 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:13 am

Knrstz wrote:Is the Sacramento FO still as high on buddy as they were when they acquired him?

I think the FO is higher on Buddy than when they acquired him. When he came to sac he was an unknown product. Since, they’ve seen he’s a legitimate nba scorer. He works harder than anyone on the team. He’s in excellent shape. His defensive commitment is there and he’ll only imorove. He’s capable of putting up big numbers in short stretches. He’s a high character player and fits the trajectory of our young core.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#30 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:29 am

dozencousins wrote:This is a very easy answer :

Were as Buddy can shot the ball no doubt . He does not play defense and cannot handle the ball well at all . When he handles the ball to much he turns the ball over especially when pressured . Between that and no D you do not get more minutes .
This is about as an easy answer as there is . If he starts playing D & he stops turning the ball over and learns how to handle the rock and value the ball he would play far more !

Buddy plays hard on defense and the Kings defense is bad with or without him. The fact is, when Buddy is allowed to be Buddy the Kings have enough scoring potential to win games. When he doesn't score or is allowed to shoot in the low single digits the odds go down dramatically.

Just another nigh for Buddy. Shoots 15 shots and scores 20+ one night, then gets 5 shots the next. Buddy getting on a run makes the Kings dangerous.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,209

Post#31 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:47 am

nolimit0820 wrote:
Knrstz wrote:Is the Sacramento FO still as high on buddy as they were when they acquired him?

I think the FO is higher on Buddy than when they acquired him. When he came to sac he was an unknown product. Since, they’ve seen he’s a legitimate nba scorer. He works harder than anyone on the team. He’s in excellent shape. His defensive commitment is there and he’ll only imorove. He’s capable of putting up big numbers in short stretches. He’s a high character player and fits the trajectory of our young core.

Is there any particular reason Bogdanovic is getting the start over him?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
nolimit0820
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by nolimit0820 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Knrstz wrote:
nolimit0820 wrote:

Is there any particular reason Bogdanovic is getting the start over him?

I would say it’s more of a logjam problem than a Bogdan vs Buddy problem. I think many on the board were unsure of Bogdan’s ability to slide over to the three, but he’s proven he can compete at a high level defensively against taller perimeter players—Bogdan is strong and smart defensively and has long arms.

My point is there’s flexibility to play them together. Offensively, I think many would agree, they complement each other well. Bogdan is a much better playmaker, initiator, understands flow of he offense, he can take over a game with his IQ and ability to get others involved—while also being able to score at a very efficient rate.

Lastly, I think moving forward you’ll see Bogdan and Buddy get more minutes together. There’s a logjam on the perimeter and everyone is playing very similar minutes. Once that’s clearer, those two will see more time together. Interestingly enough, they’ve apparently become good friends.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#33 » by kalenclayton » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:27 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:

Buddy plays hard on defense and the Kings defense is bad with or without him. The fact is, when Buddy is allowed to be Buddy the Kings have enough scoring potential to win games. When he doesn't score or is allowed to shoot in the low single digits the odds go down dramatically.

Just another nigh for Buddy. Shoots 15 shots and scores 20+ one night, then gets 5 shots the next. Buddy getting on a run makes the Kings dangerous.

I’ll second this. Buddy’s defense has improved immensely since last year. Effort is a big part of defense and he’s upped that part considerably. What I’ve seen is he actually has a good defensive stance and he has decent lateral quickness. If you add those 2 things to great defensive effort, then you get a passable NBA defender.

Buddy gets trapped on screens and I have seen him give 3PT shooters too much space many times. That being said, you could argue that there are multiple players on the Kings who are guilty of this. If Joerger is pullin Buddy because of his defense, then it is because he isn’t doing something that Joerger is telling him. Coaches will tell players things like “double *insert name* when he gets the ball in the post” or “don’t give your shooter any room to shoot.” Maybe what Buddy isn’t doing is something like that. Joerger may be pushing him to do something that he just isn’t getting (yet).
Castor_Troy
Senior
And1: 67

Post#34 » by Castor_Troy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:59 pm

Although he’s a great shooter when he’s on, Buddy is far too hot and cold for my liking. And when he’s off what is he giving you, maybe a few rebounds? He’s not much of a playmaker, he’s not much of a defender, he’s doesn’t get to the line. I mean he had 0 yesterday in 20 minutes against the Spurs. Tell me right now what’s the difference between Buddy and an inconsistent average role player/gunner like Marcus Thornton?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by kalenclayton » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Castor_Troy wrote:Although he’s a great shooter when he’s on, Buddy is far too hot and cold for my liking. And when he’s off what is he giving you, maybe a few rebounds? He’s not much of a playmaker, he’s not much of a defender, he’s doesn’t get to the line. I mean he had 0 yesterday in 20 minutes against the Spurs. Tell me right now what’s the difference between Buddy and an inconsistent average role player/gunner like Marcus Thornton?

Work ethic for one. Buddy has been written about countless times for his gym rat mentality. He has the desire and fire to become the best he can be. He pushes himself to get better and that has been voiced by the coaching staff and teammates (past and present).

Buddy also gets respected as a knockdown shooter. He’s known as a threat immediately. He has great touch on his shot and can get his shot almost any time. This does wonders for the spacing of an offense. The more times Buddy gets trapped and doubled, the better his playmaking will get. He’s a much better shooter and creator than Thornton. Thornton was always the gunner type and I really couldn’t come up with other skills that he has/had. He did have that cold-blooded mentality though.

Buddy has a ton of potential in today’s NBA. He’s no Curry like Vivek thought, but I think he projects to be an elite 6th man in a few years. He’s more than just a spark plug. He can actually hold his own on D, but he won’t be locking anyone down. He is a great rebounder for his position and he is only getting better.
Castor_Troy
Senior
And1: 67

Post#36 » by Castor_Troy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:36 pm

Consistency is key….work ethic may be great, but he’s streaky AF!
nolimit0820
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by nolimit0820 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:08 pm

To Buddy’s defense...I agree he’s always in a great stance and I think he’s actually pretty powerful when he’s low to the ground. He can help and recover quickly to Shooters. I’m happy considering it’s his first full season as a king and only second year in the nba. He’s a part of the young core IMO
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by kalenclayton » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Castor_Troy wrote:Consistency is key….work ethic may be great, but he’s streaky AF!

I mean, he really isn’t that streaky. I just think that you get exposed to what he CAN do and then you expect him to do that over and over. His game-by-game stats don’t really show the amount of inconsistency that you are saying he has. All shooters/scorers go through cold- and hot-streaks.

What has been consistent are Joerger’s inconsistent use of lineups. This is where I can give Hield some credit. Players develop rapport with oth players, but when the lineups are so different, it’s hard to retain the same feel. It appears that Joerger is trying to make sure all Kings players are comfortable playing with each other, but that isn’t going to be a seamless ordeal. It’s a very rough transition for the whole team, not just Hield.
dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Post#39 » by dozencousins » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:11 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:

I disagree ! He plays hard on defense sometimes but more often than not he does not . More over even if you play hard defense does not make you a good defender .
Buddy will not see the kind of minutes you guys want until he plays all around basketball . That means being consistent for the good both plays .
nolimit0820
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by nolimit0820 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:03 pm

Castor_Troy wrote:Although he’s a great shooter when he’s on, Buddy is far too hot and cold for my liking. And when he’s off what is he giving you, maybe a few rebounds? He’s not much of a playmaker, he’s not much of a defender, he’s doesn’t get to the line. I mean he had 0 yesterday in 20 minutes against the Spurs. Tell me right now what’s the difference between Buddy and an inconsistent average role player/gunner like Marcus Thornton?

I would suggest that his bottom floor is a Marcus Thornton “type.” The biggest difference? Honestly, in my view, it’s that he’s in his second year so we don’t know what he’ll make out to be. That’s the mystery and that’s why you don’t give up on a guy who actually shows signs of being a legitimate perimeter threat. Inconsistent? Sure! I haven’t seen any other king consistently find their stride. I’d be harsher if he was in year three or four (ahem Ben Mac)

Return to Sacramento Kings