ImageImageImageImageImage

Slow Start

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

kevin44
Senior
And1: 8

Slow Start 

Post#1 » by kevin44 » Wed Nov 1, 2017 5:08 pm

I am not really surprised by how they are playing so far. I was not a big fan of their additions in the off season. Time for Vlade to go. This is still a 30 win team. At least Fox gives some hope for the future.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Re: Slow Start 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Wed Nov 1, 2017 5:21 pm

30 Wins?

:lol:

Did you really have expectations near that?

The team stinks, but we are young & have talent to develop. Actual assets and a good pick coming.

You should of pegged them to be under 20 wins this year.

This is the worst team we've ever assembled as far as wins/losses go besides the 08-09 Kings maybe.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,535

Post#3 » by codydaze » Wed Nov 1, 2017 6:07 pm

Sigh, when will people understand this team was not built to win? Even if that were the case, why in the hell would we want to win 30 games? To get a pick somewhere between 9-14 and be stuck in the same cycle we endured for all Boogie's tenure here?

Let's add Michael Porter or Luka Doncic to this team first and go from there.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#4 » by enderwilson » Wed Nov 1, 2017 6:37 pm

Agree with the slow start. I believed this was a team built for north of 25 wins. But its also a team were only 3-4 players in the rotation were playing together last year. Chemistry takes time. Patience is necessary, although with this fan base, clearly in short supply. Vlade is really the best team manager that we've had since the change of ownership. That might not mean much in the short run, but it shouldn't. He's managed to improve his decision making and management style every year since he started. Growth and improvement are the only qualities I value at this point. The one bright side with this slow start is that we have a lot of upward mobility to explore. :wink:
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#5 » by City of Trees » Wed Nov 1, 2017 6:59 pm

The team has shown flashes so I'm fine with their current state. Its a young squad what did anyone expect? Vlade has drafted a solid group of young talent. Now we as fans must be patient while they learn how to win in the NBA. Dont overreact or over think this season, its going to be a season of lessons.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#6 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Nov 1, 2017 7:34 pm

I like the players, I HATE how they are being used. How is that Vlades fault?
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#7 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Wed Nov 1, 2017 7:57 pm

I said before the draft the Kings need more talent and to draft the best talent regardless of position. I like the young guys, but outside of Fox, I do not know think the Kings have a long-term starter on the rosters or at least starter that can make us compete on a consistent basis. This isn't me spouting out doom and gloom due the start of the season.

Fox/Hield/Jackson/Skal/WCS is not a talented enough starting lineup to win consistently even if the couple of them reach full potential.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#8 » by sacking123 » Thu Nov 2, 2017 2:30 am

SactownHrtBrks8 wrote:I said before the draft the Kings need more talent and to draft the best talent regardless of position. I like the young guys, but outside of Fox, I do not know think the Kings have a long-term starter on the rosters or at least starter that can make us compete on a consistent basis. This isn't me spouting out doom and gloom due the start of the season.

Fox/Hield/Jackson/Skal/WCS is not a talented enough starting lineup to win consistently even if the couple of them reach full potential.

You are really down on them then.
Insert Bogi in there and these guys would be unbelievable to watch next season. No not this season, but if that starting line up gets to play in the second half of this season with defined roles, playing 32-35 minutes per game then watch out next season.
The really important part of that is defined roles, I can’t stress that enough, this team hasn’t looked great because there aren’t roles, at all.
Put Fox in a position to make decisions with the ball in his hand surrounded by those guys and great things will happen.
We have team control of the young guys for what at least another 5-6 years if we want?
Vlade is building a team that can be together for a long time and he is doing a great job.
The real challenge is finding out if we have enough time to wait for Papa (most likely another 3-4 seasons) and also to keep Malachi’s value, or to find out if he can be the answer at the 2/3.
Exciting times are ahead don’t worry about that, it’s just that we’re going to have to sit through frustrating and down right embarrassing moments for this season before we get to that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#9 » by City of Trees » Thu Nov 2, 2017 3:29 am

My one disappointment is 3rd year big man WCS. He doesn't play to his strengths and it irritates the **** out of me.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#10 » by jeffjtk1234 » Thu Nov 2, 2017 3:47 am

Definitely not a fan of Joerger so far this year. His rotations have a lot to be desired

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#11 » by jazanetti » Thu Nov 2, 2017 8:04 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:I like the players, I HATE how they are being used. How is that Vlades fault?

Totally agree! I hate what I'm seeing from Joerger and his staff:
- absolutely no ball movement, no open shots for shooters, even pick and rolls seems like trash because off ball player doesn't know what to do and where to move;
- limited minutes for Fox (less then other top rookies), Skal, Buddy even Willie, and no combinations drawn for them.
And mostly I can't understand why Fox and Willie don't play together. Koufos and Randolf both too slow for De'Aaron, while Hill has no communication with Willie.
I understand that we need to be at the bottom at the and of the season, but we have to be competitive during single games. Loosing -30 every night can't help our youngs to grow.
kevin44
Senior
And1: 8

Post#12 » by kevin44 » Thu Nov 2, 2017 4:13 pm

Signing Carter & Randolph made me laugh. Thanks Vlade. Signing Hill at 20 million a yr made me cringe. Trading Cousins for basically Hield & a first round pick was a joke. 30 wins is optimistic, but I am hoping they make a few trades to correct some of their vast problems. We need Vlade out before this team turns things around. I wish we could fire Vivek Ranadivé.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,535

Post#13 » by codydaze » Thu Nov 2, 2017 5:14 pm

kevin44 wrote:Signing Carter & Randolph made me laugh. Thanks Vlade. Signing Hill at 20 million a yr made me cringe. Trading Cousins for basically Hield & a first round pick was a joke. 30 wins is optimistic, but I am hoping they make a few trades to correct some of their vast problems. We need Vlade out before this team turns things around. I wish we could fire Vivek Ranadivé.

Did you want and/or expect to make the playoffs this year?
enderwilson
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by enderwilson » Thu Nov 2, 2017 5:46 pm

kevin44 wrote:Signing Carter & Randolph made me laugh. Thanks Vlade. Signing Hill at 20 million a yr made me cringe. Trading Cousins for basically Hield & a first round pick was a joke. 30 wins is optimistic, but I am hoping they make a few trades to correct some of their vast problems. We need Vlade out before this team turns things around. I wish we could fire Vivek Ranadivé.

The best thing about signing Carter, Randolph, and Hill is that our suckiness doesn't come down on our rookies. In this situation the vets have to shoulder some of the burden for the loss and can mentor the rooks through the rough times. Without them, they're babes lost in the woods.

The "process" is PHI has taken forever. In part because of injury, in part because they've had no leadership. We don't have near enough the talent that they have, but we have a better environment for our talent to develop in simply because we have vets. Seasoned ones at that.

As much as I like Joerger, he shares the biggest burden in getting this team on track. We have good talent and should be more competetive than we are. Unless Vlade were to takeover the coaching responsibilities he can't be held fully responsible for the current team's underperformance.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by enderwilson » Thu Nov 2, 2017 10:48 pm

Since the beginning of the season, from just a subjective evaluation (probably should evaluate the stats) the instances where more than one-two of our young core (Fox, Buddy, Bogdanovic, Skal, WCS, JJackson) have played to their potential has been rare. The games where two were able to "show up", the games seemed to be somewhat competetive. These last several games, only one of those players was able to dial in. I don't have an answer for what Joerger needs to do, but it seems to me if he could get just three of those players to actually play in a game the way we know they can, this team will be pretty good.

At the moment the vets cant seem to get any rhythm. If it's a symptom of something, then I'd like to hear the diagnosis. But I'm sure the coach is about as perplexed as the players and fans are.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#16 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Nov 3, 2017 10:59 pm

Honestly im not upset with the players we have on the team at all.

Skal has looked good in the minutes hes played.
WCS was showing some signs of being able to have a bit more of an offensive game.
Bogdan looks like a legit NBA player.
Fox has the speed and court vision to be an all star for years to come.

I truly think the issue here is Joergers coaching philosiphy just doesn't match with our current roster. He was more suited for a traditional half court big man roster. That is why we are seeing Randolph get the ball in the post non stop when we need buckets, he doesn't actually have an offensive system.

Sad to say but honestly if you gave Mike Dantoni this roster and he let these guys run up and down shooting 3s and playing fast break basketball we would probably be 4-4 instead of 1-7.

Im happy with the Job that Vlade has done, and honestly I think he realizes the issues with Joerger the problem is if we fire him it casts an even more negative light on our situation.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#17 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Nov 3, 2017 11:01 pm

enderwilson wrote:

The best thing about signing Carter, Randolph, and Hill is that our suckiness doesn't come down on our rookies. In this situation the vets have to shoulder some of the burden for the loss and can mentor the rooks through the rough times. Without them, they're babes lost in the woods.

The "process" is PHI has taken forever. In part because of injury, in part because they've had no leadership. We don't have near enough the talent that they have, but we have a better environment for our talent to develop in simply because we have vets. Seasoned ones at that.

As much as I like Joerger, he shares the biggest burden in getting this team on track. We have good talent and should be more competetive than we are. Unless Vlade were to takeover the coaching responsibilities he can't be held fully responsible for the current team's underperformance.

Agreed. I give Joerger more of the blame than Divac.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#18 » by Kilo » Sat Nov 4, 2017 12:58 pm

I think Randolph and Carter were signed to bring over Memphis mentality they hope Joerger will instill. Zach to bring some toughness to the bigs, and Carter to mentor the young wing studs like Hield and Fox as he was once a superstar in the league and knows the pressures and pitfalls.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#19 » by SmashMouthRod » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:40 pm

I come in peace as a fan of George Hill. He seemed to take a step forward in Utah last season which would justify what the kings paid for him. He came out in the first game against Dallas and looked great. However ever since that game he has been terrible statistically. I don't get to see too many Kings games. What's going on with him? Is it a system fit issue?
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Post#20 » by blind prophet » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:28 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:I come in peace as a fan of George Hill. He seemed to take a step forward in Utah last season which would justify what the kings paid for him. He came out in the first game against Dallas and looked great. However ever since that game he has been terrible statistically. I don't get to see too many Kings games. What's going on with him? Is it a system fit issue?

I'm guessing it's mostly fit, especially with the high post offense.

It's not working here offensively. Many many horrible offensive starts as a team and low production numbers for him. It's not that he is shooting poorly, he's not even shooting or in a position to score.

Return to Sacramento Kings