benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#301 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:20 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

This just about sums it up. I do think with players that aren't universal talents (although Miles has the tools to be close) it will come down to role and opportunity as to who is perceived to have a better career. Miles could bust, but he's so well rounded now it's unlikely.

All the guys in that range scare me.

When I look at Miles I just get flashes of Jared Dudley. Solid role player with skills set to start but a bit slow footed and a small potential window IMO. Of course he could shock and be another Draymond.

Mikal has alot of tools as well. Elite athlete. strong perimeter defender and shoots well too. If he can defend like Roberson and shoot like Reggie Bullock than his ceiling is in reach. His work ethic will detrimine if he progresses further IMO.

Miles is a freak athlete with as quick a bounce as you can get for a player of his size. And he's not the quickest player but his physicality makes up for it and he does have a nice burst off the dribble. He could be a player that lives at the line because players will have to bump him. Depending on matchups on defense he can guard 5 positions when dialed in.

That's two footed power dunking in the key of Dominique Wilkins right there.

You are reaching majorly by calling him a freak athlete. I see the dunks but I also see a guy that can get to the league and that 'burst' will just be average. It's happened before. Like I said he will be a solid player just not as dynamic as you make out imo.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
kingjawn100
Senior
And1: 106

Post#302 » by kingjawn100 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:26 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

When I look at Miles I just get flashes of Jared Dudley. Solid role player with skills set to start but a bit slow footed and a small potential window IMO. Of course he could shock and be another Draymond.

Mikal has alot of tools as well. Elite athlete. strong perimeter defender and shoots well too. If he can defend like Roberson and shoot like Reggie Bullock than his ceiling is in reach. His work ethic will detrimine if he progresses further IMO.

Miles is a freak athlete with as quick a bounce as you can get for a player of his size. And he's not the quickest player but his physicality makes up for it and he does have a nice burst off the dribble. He could be a player that lives at the line because players will have to bump him. Depending on matchups on defense he can guard 5 positions when dialed in.

You are reaching majorly by calling him a freak athlete. I see the dunks but I also see a guy that can get to the league and that 'burst' will just be average. It's happened before. Like I said he will be a solid player just not as dynamic as you make out imo.

Wait...are you really trying to argue that Miles Bridges of all people isn’t a freak athlete??!

You can argue about any other part of his game and how his career will unfold but there is no argument when it comes to his athleticism (and thats compared to college players/pro players/globetrotters...anybody)
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#303 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:35 am

kingjawn100 wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

Wait...are you really trying to argue that Miles Bridges of all people isn’t a freak athlete??!

You can argue about any other part of his game and how his career will unfold but there is no argument when it comes to his athleticism (and thats compared to college players/pro players/globetrotters...anybody)

I really don't see him in that category. I just don't see him being dynamic at the pro level.

I think he is strong and has long arms. Those things added to his obvious skills makes him a good player but freak athlete is a different thing to me. But as I have said repeatedly, he could surprise and be another unicorn like Draymond.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#304 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:07 pm

kingjawn100 wrote:Well any fan discouraged by our current draft position/last night's win can take solace in seeing Ayton play tonight. If that's the number 1 pick i'd have serious concerns. if you're the Kings i don't really know what i would think going from Willie to a guy who is even worse defensively.

If the Kings want a center the real question is...what has a better chance of developing...Ayton/Bagley's defense...or Bamba/Jackson's offense. Also if JJJ didn't foul as much and played the same minutes as Ayton would we be talking about him for #1 overall? This is a very weird draft in that of the top 7 prospects i have no idea who will have the better NBA career. I could really make a case for all 7.

To me tonight pointed out what ive had a sense of for weeks...last year's draft is head and shoulders better than this years. Every top prospect this year has some major red flags...

AYTON: Defense, not a hybrid..purely an old school center
DONCIC: Athleticism
BAGLEY: Defense, lack of offense outside paint
YOUNG: Defense, size, shot selection
JACKSON: Lacks offensive polish, not explosive, highly foul prone
BAMBA: Offensive skills, No fire
PORTER: Back, Shot selection

Aside from Doncic i don't see any of these guys having a major impact next year, in terms of team wins-losses.

Bambas offense. My biggest concern is his body development. If you go back to Bamba's high school career he showed some of that unicorn potential, a word he's brought up himself recently. :lol: It might be a risk to have two young bigs in Bamba and Giles who only showed that potential in their high school days but Bamba has the tools.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#305 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:11 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

There are few players able to put dunks down in game like that let alone someone with that kind of body, so I would certainly say freak, you clearly have a different definition. He's dynamic to the point he can do a little of everything the question with him is how far those dynamics go.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#306 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:44 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

There are few players able to put dunks down in game like that let alone someone with that kind of body, so I would certainly say freak, you clearly have a different definition. He's dynamic to the point he can do a little of everything the question with him is how far those dynamics go.

Yeah, I'm more stingy with that description than you clearly. I put guys like Shaq, Dwight Howard, Lebron, Bo Jackson, Usain Bolt, Greek Freak in there but Miles Bridges is a guy with an NBA body with hops and some plus skills. Very different in my eyes.

I think guys like Jaylen Brown, Stanley Johnson or Justise Winslow are comps and I consider them better athletes that Miles. They aren't freak athletes. They are great athletes but not that rare breed.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#307 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:48 pm

And Bamba had a much different result in his game than Atyon. There probably wasn't a better way to show his impact than the way that game turned out. As soon as he went out on an iffy call the paint was wide open.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#308 » by City of Trees » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:50 am

I heard Miles Bridges had himself a game.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#309 » by City of Trees » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:58 am

MPJ returning early did nothing to help his draft stock.

Looked like a winded stiff out there. I admire his competitiveness but he should have just sat out.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#310 » by kingjawn100 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:42 am

I just don’t know how a team in the top 10 can draft MPJ. He either looked not-recovered from his back injury or just very stiff and unathletic. His return was an absolute disaster. Cost him to slide 5-6 draft slots and cost their team the season (they were much better without him).

I’m slowly jumping onto the Miles Bridges hype train. He caught a few bodies tonight. His biggest flaw being that he’s great when he drives but doesnt drive enough. That seems like a very correctable flaw. As ive said before, everyone in the top 7 has serious flaws and Bridges really doesn’t. Im almost at the point where if we get into the top 3 i wouldnt mind trading down to get Bridges while also gaining a 2019 pick. Maybe figure out a way to start fox/bogi/bridges/randle/wcs next year. With that lineup there wouldn’t be such pressure on willie to rebound.

In terms of Bamba, while defense isn’t the sexiest quality it is amazing watching a Jazz game and seeing how huge of a diffefence Gobert makes when he’s on the court. Highly translatable to wins and losses with that type of guy. I see some of that in Bamba. When he fouled out Texas simply fell apart today.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#311 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:27 pm

kingjawn100 wrote:I just don’t know how a team in the top 10 can draft MPJ. He either looked not-recovered from his back injury or just very stiff and unathletic. His return was an absolute disaster. Cost him to slide 5-6 draft slots and cost their team the season (they were much better without him).

I’m slowly jumping onto the Miles Bridges hype train. He caught a few bodies tonight. His biggest flaw being that he’s great when he drives but doesnt drive enough. That seems like a very correctable flaw. As ive said before, everyone in the top 7 has serious flaws and Bridges really doesn’t. Im almost at the point where if we get into the top 3 i wouldnt mind trading down to get Bridges while also gaining a 2019 pick. Maybe figure out a way to start fox/bogi/bridges/randle/wcs next year. With that lineup there wouldn’t be such pressure on willie to rebound.

In terms of Bamba, while defense isn’t the sexiest quality it is amazing watching a Jazz game and seeing how huge of a diffefence Gobert makes when he’s on the court. Highly translatable to wins and losses with that type of guy. I see some of that in Bamba. When he fouled out Texas simply fell apart today.

The Spartans play some defense that can translate in the NBA but their offense is totally college, just like the Kings unfortunately. Remember though, the college game has no 3 second violation so in the NBA the floor could be much more open for him. Should his team clear the dang paint of course. :banghead: I personally think Bridges will be better at PF but he's shown this year he can transition to the SF spot. If there is a knock on him, it's that his biggest moments seem to come at PF, not at SF.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#312 » by kalenclayton » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:03 pm

I’ve only seen one game, but I really liked what I saw from Donte DiVincenzo of Villanova. I saw him playing and was surprised that he wasn’t being talked about. He looked terrific. His energy/fire was off the charts. His shot looked good and he was making correct reads on defense. I really liked has size as a combo guard and am looking forward to their next game. If he continues to look good, I would love if the Kings bought a mid-late 2nd to get him.

NBA Scouting Live has a good write-up on him: https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/donte-divincenzo-scouting-report
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#313 » by kingjawn100 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:15 pm

People assume that every "projected" lottery pick is gonna actually come out but there may be a surprise or 2. Miles Bridges and Robert Williams probably would have gone lotto last year but both stayed. I wouldn't be shocked if Sexton, Porter and JJJ give it real thought. If any of those guys return it could change everything. The only thing that may make all of this ^ a little more unrealistic is the FBI probes/scandals, especially with Michigan State.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#314 » by VCfor3 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:33 pm

I did this on the Suns board and got some good responses so I thought I'd do it here too. I know everyone has their own big board and players they want SAC to take, but what do you think the FO's big board actually is? I heard rumors that they were super high on Doncic but you guys would know way better than I.

For example, I think that Memphis's actual big board is much higher on Porter than most people's. (maybe around #4)

*I realize this could potentially change quite a bit as the tournament goes on
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#315 » by kalenclayton » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:15 am

VCfor3 wrote:I did this on the Suns board and got some good responses so I thought I'd do it here too. I know everyone has their own big board and players they want SAC to take, but what do you think the FO's big board actually is? I heard rumors that they were super high on Doncic but you guys would know way better than I.

For example, I think that Memphis's actual big board is much higher on Porter than most people's. (maybe around #4)

I’ve been on the Porter train all year and love his potential and demeanor. He’s been my in my top 2 with Ayton on the Kings big board and I actually think that would be accurate from Vlade’s pointe of view. That being said, his recent return has hurt draft stock quite a bit imo. His return amplified his injury concerns and that risk is becoming a lot harder for a team like the Kings to take a risk on. Still, he has to be high on the board, but not top 2 anymore.
One issue with this draft is that there are major concerns with each of the top draft prospects. That isn’t really something we were talking about with the high end prospects of last year. Here is my opinion of what Vlade’s tiered draft board looks like right now:
Ayton
Doncic
Bamba, M. Porter, Bagley, Jackson
Miles Bridges, Mikal Bridges, Knox, Carter
TRADE DOWN - Young, Sexton, Shai
J. Porter, Musa
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#316 » by VCfor3 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:04 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I did this on the Suns board and got some good responses so I thought I'd do it here too. I know everyone has their own big board and players they want SAC to take, but what do you think the FO's big board actually is? I heard rumors that they were super high on Doncic but you guys would know way better than I.

I’ve been on the Porter train all year and love his potential and demeanor. He’s been my in my top 2 with Ayton on the Kings big board and I actually think that would be accurate from Vlade’s pointe of view. That being said, his recent return has hurt draft stock quite a bit imo. His return amplified his injury concerns and that risk is becoming a lot harder for a team like the Kings to take a risk on. Still, he has to be high on the board, but not top 2 anymore.
One issue with this draft is that there are major concerns with each of the top draft prospects. That isn’t really something we were talking about with the high end prospects of last year. Here is my opinion of what Vlade’s tiered draft board looks like right now:
Ayton
Doncic
Bamba, M. Porter, Bagley, Jackson
Miles Bridges, Mikal Bridges, Knox, Carter
TRADE DOWN - Young, Sexton, Shai
J. Porter, Musa

Well put. I appreciate the insight and agree with your guess at their big board.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#317 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:03 am

There is a possibility if we win enough games down the stretch that we could drop as low as the 9th pick. I'd take either of the Bridges (Miles or Mikal). We need a SF and I think both are better than Justin Jackson. I see him as an end of bench player. Miles game the other day reminded me of Derrick Williams at Arizona in the tournament. Mikal was on fire from 3 and might be the best 2-way wing in the draft. We have to draft the right guy. I'm not as concerned at what # we pick but just make sure it's the right pick. Donovan Mitchell was 13.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,454

Post#318 » by rpa » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:42 am

This draft looks more and more like a complete minefield with each day. Last year I felt like you could look at each prospect down to maybe 10-12 and say "they have this problem ... but they're arguably elite here" or "they may have a problem here, but these skills translate to the modern NBA".

This year? Holy hell it looks like a crap ton of busts.

Assuming the Kings fall between 6 and 10 you're obviously going to miss out on Doncic, Bagley, & Ayton. You can't pick Sexton, Young, or SGA due to positional issues.

I'm becoming much more open to Mikal Bridges--despite him being so old (2 years older than Ayton, 1.5 years older than Miles Bridges). He was a defensive specialist as a freshman which means that you're not bringing him in and hoping he can leverage his physical tools and learn to defend. He's also made significant progress skill wise over his 3 years at Nova (eg 10% increase in 3pt% from frosh to soph and another 5% to junior despite doubling attempts). He has solid physical tools as well (decent size and a 7' wingspan).
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#319 » by jazanetti » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:33 pm

rpa wrote:This draft looks more and more like a complete minefield with each day. Last year I felt like you could look at each prospect down to maybe 10-12 and say "they have this problem ... but they're arguably elite here" or "they may have a problem here, but these skills translate to the modern NBA".

Assuming the Kings fall between 6 and 10 you're obviously going to miss out on Doncic, Bagley, & Ayton. You can't pick Sexton, Young, or SGA due to positional issues.

I'm becoming much more open to Mikal Bridges--despite him being so old (2 years older than Ayton, 1.5 years older than Miles Bridges). He was a defensive specialist as a freshman which means that you're not bringing him in and hoping he can leverage his physical tools and learn to defend. He's also made significant progress skill wise over his 3 years at Nova (eg 10% increase in 3pt% from frosh to soph and another 5% to junior despite doubling attempts). He has solid physical tools as well (decent size and a 7' wingspan).

I think we have enough youngsters who are not young really and close to their potential (Buddy, Bogdan, Jackson, Mason). So the goal should be to draft the guy with the highest ceiling. Looking at those who can play SF my favourites are: Knox and Miles Bridges. One of them will probably be available within 6-10 range.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#320 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm

rpa wrote:This draft looks more and more like a complete minefield with each day. Last year I felt like you could look at each prospect down to maybe 10-12 and say "they have this problem ... but they're arguably elite here" or "they may have a problem here, but these skills translate to the modern NBA".

I think last years draft was more solid up top for sure. I don't think there is a crap ton of busts but that might relate directly to peoples opinions of what many of these players should be. I don't see a ton of star potential in this draft, but there is a variety position wise that should allow teams to fill some needs. A little bit like last draft in a sense. I think a lot of the players went to the right spots for their careers.

Return to Sacramento Kings