ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Watch 2018

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

bibby1023
Bench Warmer
And1: 208

Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#341 » by bibby1023 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:21 pm

the_process wrote:So assuming you guys end up with the 7th pick... what’s the general idea amongst the board here of who the Kings might take?

I think both Bridges would be in play and Bamba/Porter Jr if they were to fall.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#342 » by the_process » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:38 pm

bibby1023 wrote:
the_process wrote:So assuming you guys end up with the 7th pick... what’s the general idea amongst the board here of who the Kings might take?

Is there a preference?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#343 » by kalenclayton » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:41 pm

the_process wrote:
bibby1023 wrote:

Is there a preference?

I posted this I think a week ago, but this is what I think the Kings draft board looks like (in tiers):
Ayton
Doncic
Bamba, M. Porter, Bagley, Jackson
Miles Bridges, Mikal Bridges, Knox, Carter
TRADE DOWN - Young, Sexton, Shai
J. Porter, Musa
the_process
RealGM

Post#344 » by the_process » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:42 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
the_process wrote:
bibby1023 wrote:I think both Bridges would be in play and Bamba/Porter Jr if they were to fall.

Is there a preference?

I posted this I think a week ago, but this is what I think the Kings draft board looks like (in tiers):
Ayton
Doncic
J. Porter, Musa

Scenario for you...

SAC has the 7th pick and Doncic/Ayton/Porter/Jackson/Bagley/Bamba are all off the board. Philly calls and offers: Richaun Holmes, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, 10, and 23 for 7. Is that enough for you guys to move back?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#345 » by kalenclayton » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:27 pm

the_process wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
the_process wrote:
Is there a preference?

Ayton
Doncic
J. Porter, Musa

Scenario for you...

SAC has the 7th pick and Doncic/Ayton/Porter/Jackson/Bagley/Bamba are all off the board. Philly calls and offers: Richaun Holmes, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, 10, and 23 for 7. Is that enough for you guys to move back?

So I'm going to try to approach this with my Vlade hat on.
We currently have 12 players on the books for 2018 if all 3 POs opt in (Koufos, Shumpert, Temple). I expect them to all opt in. That leaves us with three roster spots and we don't have anyone that we would like to waive as we like all of these players. This trade becomes very hard to pull off just because of those two points. That means that this would have to be changed from the get-go because the Kings currently have 2 picks (7 and 37). If this trade happened, the Kings would have 10, 23, 37 (own pick), Holmes, and Luwawu-Cabarrot coming in, which takes up too many spots.

The Kings can only take in one extra player in a trade at this moment. The return you have written is fine, value-wise, but it doesn't work for us asset-wise and talent-wise. The Kings don't need more middling prospects. We need star power. We also don't need another wing in Luwawu because we have too many wings who need minutes (Bogdanovic, Hield, Jackson, Temple, plus any incoming draft players). Holmes would get minutes, but he isn't necessarily needed.

I think the Kings would be better off standing pat and drafting Miles Bridges. I know I have him in the tier that contains #7-11 on my Kings board, but he fits perfectly. If anything, I think the Kings try to trade up to get any of the top 6.

One last thing: a Kings-76ers trade could still happen, but the Kings would need better quality and less quantity in that trade. Something like 10, 23, and '19 76ers 1st Lotto Protected. That's probably the asking price from Vlade, unless Saric is available.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#346 » by City of Trees » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Miles Bridges!

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#347 » by City of Trees » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:16 pm

the_process wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
the_process wrote:
Is there a preference?

Ayton
Doncic
J. Porter, Musa

Scenario for you...

Who is Philly targeting?

Also priority #1 should be securing a 2019 1st if Sac is moving back

rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,445

Post#348 » by rpa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:07 pm

City of Trees wrote:Who is Philly targeting?

Trae Young makes SO MUCH SENSE on that team.

City of Trees wrote:Also priority #1 should be securing a 2019 1st if Sac is moving back

Pretty much impossible since Philly only owns the Kings pick if it's #1 in the draft next year (since it's a near certainty that the LA pick goes to them instead of to Boston).
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,445

Post#349 » by rpa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:20 pm

the_process wrote:Scenario for you...

Holmes is useless to the Kings. TLC could, in theory, be useful, but hasn't looked like the world-beater that he did prior to the draft. I'd still probably take him (not Holmes), but it essentially comes down to 10 + 23 for 7.

I'd say no, and here's why: playing out your hypothetical scenario where the Kings get 10 and the Sixers get #7 (and presumably Trae Young) the Kings would have 2 picks prior to theirs and (seemingly) only 2 players left on their board (the Bridges). If they both get picked (likely I'd say) who on earth do the Kings take? And, is the difference between that player and either of the Bridges worth the 20th?

I'd say no because a) Not a huge fan of who'll probably be available at 20 (lots of guards and a few bigs) & b) The Kings already have so many young players that they need to develop that adding more could start stunting growth (only so many minutes).
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#350 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:15 am

I think it depends on who is available at 7. I don't like Carter or Jackson that much for the Kings if they are the BPA's available at 7. I would take Carter over Jackson if it came down to it though.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#351 » by City of Trees » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:44 am

rpa wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Who is Philly targeting?

Trae Young makes SO MUCH SENSE on that team.

City of Trees wrote:Also priority #1 should be securing a 2019 1st if Sac is moving back

Pretty much impossible since Philly only owns the Kings pick if it's #1 in the draft next year (since it's a near certainty that the LA pick goes to them instead of to Boston).

Then I'd want Kings pick. Sixers could protect it if they want. Something reasonable to make the value. 7 for 10 plus future 1st top ? Protected

the_process
RealGM

Post#352 » by the_process » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:55 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:I think it depends on who is available at 7. I don't like Carter or Jackson that much for the Kings if they are the BPA's available at 7. I would take Carter over Jackson if it came down to it though.

As before, let’s say the first 6 off the board are Ayton, Doncic, Bamba, Bagley, Porter, and Jackson.

This time the Sixers offer Luwawu, 10, 2020 PHI 1st unprotected, and 2022 PHI 1st lotto protected in exchange for 7. Deal?
the_process
RealGM

Post#353 » by the_process » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:12 am

City of Trees wrote:
the_process wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I posted this I think a week ago, but this is what I think the Kings draft board looks like (in tiers):
Ayton
Doncic
J. Porter, Musa

Scenario for you...

Who is Philly targeting?

Also priority #1 should be securing a 2019 1st if Sac is moving back

It’s not Miles Bridges :lol:

Honestly, with the draft order still so volatile, I’m just trying to get an idea who teams in front might take. The Sixers are also in the position of limited roster spots, so I could see them trying to consolidate.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#354 » by kalenclayton » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:16 am

the_process wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:I think it depends on who is available at 7. I don't like Carter or Jackson that much for the Kings if they are the BPA's available at 7. I would take Carter over Jackson if it came down to it though.

As before, let’s say the first 6 off the board are Ayton, Doncic, Bamba, Bagley, Porter, and Jackson.

This time the Sixers offer Luwawu, 10, 2020 PHI 1st unprotected, and 2022 PHI 1st lotto protected in exchange for 7. Deal?

The Kings absolutely say yes to that. I’m assuming you it’s take Young. I love that trade though.
the_process
RealGM

Post#355 » by the_process » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:29 am

kalenclayton wrote:
the_process wrote:

The Kings absolutely say yes to that. I’m assuming you it’s take Young. I love that trade though.

I personally would take Mikal Bridges. I have no idea who BC likes yet. It’s just that like you guys, the Sixers have 11 under contract, 6 picks, plus 2 stashes that might come over and the possibility of 35% max cap room. So... yeah :lol: Gotta thin the ranks somewhere.

Would you do the above trade without the 2022 lotto protected 1st?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#356 » by kalenclayton » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:42 am

the_process wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
the_process wrote:

I personally would take Mikal Bridges. I have no idea who BC likes yet. It’s just that like you guys, the Sixers have 11 under contract, 6 picks, plus 2 stashes that might come over and the possibility of 35% max cap room. So... yeah :lol: Gotta thin the ranks somewhere.

Probably, but I would probably ask for a 2nd or two depending on the perceived value.
the_process
RealGM

Post#357 » by the_process » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:55 am

kalenclayton wrote:
the_process wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:The Kings absolutely say yes to that. I’m assuming you it’s take Young. I love that trade though.

Probably, but I would probably ask for a 2nd or two depending on the perceived value.

Oh, and Dario could certainly be available as well. Would a Dario, 23, and 2020 unprotected 1st deal be in the realm of possibility for 7?

And adding a couple 2nds here or there is no hang up.
kingjawn100
Senior
And1: 106

Post#358 » by kingjawn100 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:13 pm

the one argument against 'tanking' is that a lot of these teams picking high lottery end up picking in the lottery ever year.
Look at the Suns. Josh Jackson/Bender/Chriss/TJ Warren/Alex Len....all these lottery picks and they are still awful every single year and that won't change regardless of who they draft this year.

Now Memphis could be in a unique situation where they might be able to contend for a playoff spot next year with possibly Gasol/Ayton or Doncic/Conley.

As far as Kings, best thing that can happen (aside from ping pong ball bouncing the right way) is if a couple of the teams above us become enamored with point guards (Trae Young/Sexton/SGA). Orlando and Cleveland being the most likely teams.

Now it would be so Vlade if JJJ or Bamba slips to us at 7/8 and he picks Dzanan Musa.
kingjawn100
Senior
And1: 106

Post#359 » by kingjawn100 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:33 pm

With most of the draft eligible players seasons being over at this point the question becomes...who's stock will climb/fall between now and June 21st...

Porter - he's generally talked about in the 6-10 range right now and i think that's assuming his medical checks out. I can't see anything happening to vault him into the top 5. The medical though could send him free falling. If the medical doesn't come back promising i wouldn't be shocked if he's there in the late teens.

YOUNG - i've seen him mostly in the 6-10 range. The huge thing for him will be the measurements. If he measures a lot closer to 6'0 than 6'2 i could see him falling to that 12-14 range.

BAMBA - Obviously teams know of his freakish length but seeing it up close at the combine will really help his cause. He's the kind of eye test guy where his combine measurements will jump off the charts. He's pretty functional for his size too and will be able to hit open shots in 1on none workouts. He's mostly talked about 5-8 but i could see him end up going #3. JJJ and Bagley are great but I could see a GM on a hapless team thinking he has the most home run potential of anyone.

Also another thing to keep in mind....who is this year's Miles Bridges and unexpectedly stays in school? Who is this year's Isiah Austin and has a medical issue that hasn't been revealed yet. My point: nothing is remotely set in stone at this point.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#360 » by kalenclayton » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:19 pm

the_process wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
the_process wrote:

Oh, and Dario could certainly be available as well. Would a Dario, 23, and 2020 unprotected 1st deal be in the realm of possibility for 7?

And adding a couple 2nds here or there is no hang up.

That’s a thinker for Vlade for sure. I really, really like Dario. I have liked him since just before he was drafted and I’m so happy he’s succeeding. Saric is perfect as a 4 in an offense where Fox is running the show. You have Fox-Hield-Bogi-Saric-(Willie?), which looks like a fast break dream. If Joerger adopted a fast paced offense, that team would be fantastic. I just don’t think it’s likely so I don’t think the Kings do a deal like this.

I also don’t think the Kings should be moving picks for players who probably won’t be stars. They need to be shooting for top-end prospects. I could argue that the top-8 or so prospects could end up being better players than Saric in the long run. I just don’t know which ones will actually reach that threshold... and when. The Kings need to make progress next year, but they don’t need to be competing. They just need to start identifying who will be the ones to build around. I think playoffs should be the absolute priority in 19-20. Saric fits that, but could Bamba, one of the Bridges’, Knox, or Porter get them there in a good time framers well? That’s the question that needs to be answered. I know Saric will likely be better than all of those players in 19-20, but how far ahead? Vlade would have some serious work to do if this trade was on the table.

Return to Sacramento Kings