Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Re: RE: Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#381 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:23 pm

codydaze wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
jazanetti wrote:Is it a joke?? Willie's NETRTG -9 (KK -8,4, Skal -4,4).
Willie is mediocre defender, poor rebouder and awful scorer. I'd be happy if we get something more than 2nd round pick for him.

Sent from my MI 3W using RealGM mobile app

I think you are overstating how bad a scorer Willie is. His post moves are rigid and robotic, but they aren’t necessarily awful. They just look awful. His finishing ability (mostly length driven) makes up for a lot of what he does wrong with post work.

The issue that we have with Willie is that he isn’t being used correctly. He’s a fast break beauty. He’s the perfect center for a D’Antoni, George Karl, Steve Kerr type of offense. Uptempo is exactly what Willie needs. This season doesn’t matter when it comes to wins and losses. It just doesn’t, so we’ve seen a lot of our players doing things that they weren’t doing before. Willie was never a post technician, so why not try his hand at doing it. It makes you a more well-rounded player if you try new things. What you have to do afterwards is make sure he doesn’t believe that’s what he is going forward.

Willie is a lot better than you are stating. He’s not a great player though. He could be, but he currently isn’t. Be patient, man. It’s the first year of our rebuild and Willie’s first year of consistent playing time. Take a look at his previous years and he is leaps and bounds better than before. Just chill.

This has been my outlook on the season. We've been putting our guys in positions that haven't necessarily been their strengths because you need to work on those aspects of your game if you truly want to be a good team. The best teams can adapt to different play styles and still be successful, you don't want to pidgeon hole your abilities to one style of play.

I agree on the offense needing to be uptempo for WIllie but my problem with him is that he just not good on defense. He doesn't protect the rim the way a guy of his physical ability should be able. He doesn't rebound particularly well. And at this point I don't really think he will improve in those areas.

It seems like his focus is all wrong. He wants to prove he is more than a role player and to him that means being multi-faceted on offense. But we don't really need that from him. Right now we are one of the worst defensive teams in the whole league. Above all else, we need a center that can anchor the defense. If we had someone like Rudy Gobert or Steven Adams on this team I think we would see a HUGE difference in win totals. I don't ever see Willie being that guy. Particularly when I think his mental focus is on proving that he's not "just" a roleplayer. That really stood out to me when we played Minnesota and he was forcing so many bad plays. He probably had the worst game of his career in my view and it seemed obvious that he took it personally to go against Towns. I just don't like the mindset. And I don't think he will ever come in with the mindset of "I need to be locking down the rim on defense" the way we need.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#382 » by codydaze » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:25 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
codydaze wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I think you are overstating how bad a scorer Willie is. His post moves are rigid and robotic, but they aren’t necessarily awful. They just look awful. His finishing ability (mostly length driven) makes up for a lot of what he does wrong with post work.

The issue that we have with Willie is that he isn’t being used correctly. He’s a fast break beauty. He’s the perfect center for a D’Antoni, George Karl, Steve Kerr type of offense. Uptempo is exactly what Willie needs. This season doesn’t matter when it comes to wins and losses. It just doesn’t, so we’ve seen a lot of our players doing things that they weren’t doing before. Willie was never a post technician, so why not try his hand at doing it. It makes you a more well-rounded player if you try new things. What you have to do afterwards is make sure he doesn’t believe that’s what he is going forward.

Willie is a lot better than you are stating. He’s not a great player though. He could be, but he currently isn’t. Be patient, man. It’s the first year of our rebuild and Willie’s first year of consistent playing time. Take a look at his previous years and he is leaps and bounds better than before. Just chill.

This has been my outlook on the season. We've been putting our guys in positions that haven't necessarily been their strengths because you need to work on those aspects of your game if you truly want to be a good team. The best teams can adapt to different play styles and still be successful, you don't want to pidgeon hole your abilities to one style of play.

I agree on the offense needing to be uptempo for WIllie but my problem with him is that he just not good on defense. He doesn't protect the rim the way a guy of his physical ability should be able. He doesn't rebound particularly well. And at this point I don't really think he will improve in those areas.

It seems like his focus is all wrong. He wants to prove he is more than a role player and to him that means being multi-faceted on offense. But we don't really need that from him. Right now we are one of the worst defensive teams in the whole league. Above all else, we need a center that can anchor the defense. If we had someone like Rudy Gobert or Steven Adams on this team I think we would see a HUGE difference in win totals. I don't ever see Willie being that guy. Particularly when I think his mental focus is on proving that he's not "just" a roleplayer. That really stood out to me when we played Minnesota and he was forcing so many bad plays. It seemed obvious that he took it personally to go against Towns. I just don't like the mindset.

Oh, I definitely agree about WCS. My comment was really about the development style team wide for this season. If we can get anything of substance for Willie, I'm completely on board. I think he would be a really good big for us off the bench but the question is whether or not he would accept that role.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#383 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:19 pm

jazanetti wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Probably not, but what about Milwaukee? That’s #16 right now. I could see him being wildly successful there. We would still have a shot a multiple good prospects. (Jontay Porter please)

Id rather hold WCS for now. Lets see what we have with Giles first. He and Kostas have been our only positive defensive players all year according to the advanced stats. And with big men, Id really like to see if he can make a jump this next year his 4th year.

Hes been seriously hamstringed by the offense Joerger runs. In a P&R offense with Fox/Bogdan he would be excellent. Id much rather keep him that bring in another project at this time.

Is it a joke?? Willie's NETRTG -9 (KK -8,4, Skal -4,4).
Willie is mediocre defender, poor rebouder and awful scorer. I'd be happy if we get something more than 2nd round pick for him.

His DBPM has been positive every year hes been in the league. Hes a +1.4 on a team full of negatives.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#384 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:20 pm

jazanetti wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I think it’s doable when talking about getting enough minutes to each player. Some players can play multiple positions (minutes in parentheses):

(32) Fox: 1, 2 in a pinch
(6) Mason: 1
(30) Hield: 2, 3 in a pinch
(32) Bogi: 1, 2, 3
(20) Mikal: 2, 3
(24) Jackson: 2, 3, small ball 4

I think you can fit in minutes for all the main guys. Mason would be on the outside looking in, but it’s definitely doable.

Ya especially with Jackson at small ball 4, that could open a few more minutes for Mason who I think deserves it.

That said I really hope if we do draft Mikal, we tell Shump and Temple thank you both for your services. We don't have any minutes available for you next year, we strongly recommend you opt out. I think Temple could secure himself 3/18 on the open market, hes been good, can handle a bit, plays strong defense, and shoots the 3. He would immediately fit in on a contender. If OKC can pony up for him that would be a huge get for them.

I'm almost sure that Shump will use his option and stay. No one will give him 11 millions nowhere near.

Of course he will. As I said, I would strongly recommend he does, but understand if he wants to stay we have no minutes for him.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#385 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:26 pm

jazanetti wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
jazanetti wrote:Is it a joke?? Willie's NETRTG -9 (KK -8,4, Skal -4,4).

I think you are overstating how bad a scorer Willie is. His post moves are rigid and robotic, but they aren’t necessarily awful. They just look awful. His finishing ability (mostly length driven) makes up for a lot of what he does wrong with post work.

But next year will be his contract year...
Just look, his FG%, TS%, FT% getting only worse year to year... No no no, I can't trust in Willie)
Speaking about our bigs, I'd prefer to start with Skal and KK. Use ZBo as backup center, playing limited minutes and Skal as small ball center with Fox, Bogi, Buddy and Jackson/2018 1st round pick/solid veteran FA playing big minutes/clutch time.

How could you ever want to see Zbo out there instead of WCS? Hes literally the laziest player i've ever seen dawn a Kings uniform and that says a lot because my hate for Ramon Sessions, Jimmer and Stauskas.

Zbo is a liability to the entire team. He slows down our offense, he plays no defense, that guy should retire immediately.

If we used WCS correctly instead of forcing him to be a post up player, he would be a stud. Putting up 14/8 on 60% shooting. Thats where I see him being effective, running the court, playing the pick n roll.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#386 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jazanetti wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Id rather hold WCS for now. Lets see what we have with Giles first. He and Kostas have been our only positive defensive players all year according to the advanced stats. And with big men, Id really like to see if he can make a jump this next year his 4th year.

Hes been seriously hamstringed by the offense Joerger runs. In a P&R offense with Fox/Bogdan he would be excellent. Id much rather keep him that bring in another project at this time.

Is it a joke?? Willie's NETRTG -9 (KK -8,4, Skal -4,4).

His DBPM has been positive every year hes been in the league. Hes a +1.4 on a team full of negatives.

Exactly, it's hard to put into context using stats a players true abilities when the team is so horrid as a whole. I think Willies potential on defense is just fine and his impact is more clear when he's not available. Buddy is looking like if he puts his mind to it he can be not just decent on D but an asset and at times a stopper. Fox has tools to be great there with his quickness. Bogdan shows the length and strength to guard a variety of players. Right now their individual abilities are being swallowed up by youthful mistakes, a lack of knowledge, and an archaic style.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#387 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:24 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jazanetti wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Ya especially with Jackson at small ball 4, that could open a few more minutes for Mason who I think deserves it.

That said I really hope if we do draft Mikal, we tell Shump and Temple thank you both for your services. We don't have any minutes available for you next year, we strongly recommend you opt out. I think Temple could secure himself 3/18 on the open market, hes been good, can handle a bit, plays strong defense, and shoots the 3. He would immediately fit in on a contender. If OKC can pony up for him that would be a huge get for them.

I'm almost sure that Shump will use his option and stay. No one will give him 11 millions nowhere near.

Of course he will. As I said, I would strongly recommend he does, but understand if he wants to stay we have no minutes for him.

You don't honestly believe that do you? :wink:

The starting SG of your Sacramento Kings, Iman Shumpert! :lol:
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#388 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:08 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jazanetti wrote:I'm almost sure that Shump will use his option and stay. No one will give him 11 millions nowhere near.

You don't honestly believe that do you? :wink:

The starting SG of your Sacramento Kings, Iman Shumpert! :lol:

Lol, I said if I were running things.

Knowing Joerger,

Koufos
Randolph
Temple
Shumpert
Veteran pg

While Fox, Bogdan, WCS, Skal, Hield, Mason, get 12 minutes a piece lol.
kingjawn100
Senior
And1: 106

Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#389 » by kingjawn100 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:23 am

As far as Mikal Bridges is there a consensus that he's gonna be a much better player than Justin Jackson? If not i just don't see the point. Nice to have depth but id much rather shoot for a home run than another upper classman SF where we kinda know what we're getting.

IMO Kings fans should be hoping MPJ's medical checks out and he and a point guard (trae/sexton/sga) go top 6. That way if we end up #7 that assures us of JJJ or Bamba.

Eventhough he's young and raw i think JJJ could have success right away. The foul thing won't be so much an issue if the first year expectation would just be for him to protect the rim and block shots 18 minutes per nite.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#390 » by City of Trees » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:22 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Probably not, but what about Milwaukee? That’s #16 right now. I could see him being wildly successful there. We would still have a shot a multiple good prospects. (Jontay Porter please)

Remember, decision time on Willie is ticking away. If the Kings have the faintest wish or desire to move him, draft night would be the best option.

Exactly. If Bamba or Ayton ends up being the pick I expect WCS to be moved immediately during the draft

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#391 » by kingjawn100 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:02 am

City of Trees wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Remember, decision time on Willie is ticking away. If the Kings have the faintest wish or desire to move him, draft night would be the best option.

Exactly. If Bamba or Ayton ends up being the pick I expect WCS to be moved immediately during the draft

^Likely scenario. You really cant have a top10 pick center/WCS/Harry/Kufos all on the same roster. As far as a trade you wonder what the perception of him is around the league. We see all the holes in his game but it only takes one team to think he's a unicorn in the making.

One of the kings beat reporters had the perfect tweet about willie "he's been here 3 years and i still have no idea if he's good or not". Such a strange player.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#392 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:26 am

kingjawn100 wrote:As far as Mikal Bridges is there a consensus that he's gonna be a much better player than Justin Jackson? If not i just don't see the point. Nice to have depth but id much rather shoot for a home run than another upper classman SF where we kinda know what we're getting.

IMO Kings fans should be hoping MPJ's medical checks out and he and a point guard (trae/sexton/sga) go top 6. That way if we end up #7 that assures us of JJJ or Bamba.

Eventhough he's young and raw i think JJJ could have success right away. The foul thing won't be so much an issue if the first year expectation would just be for him to protect the rim and block shots 18 minutes per nite.

They are similar in some ways. I do think Mikal Bridges has a higher upside and better physical tools but I think JJ could be just as impactful if both end up being role players.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#393 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:33 am

kingjawn100 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

^Likely scenario. You really cant have a top10 pick center/WCS/Harry/Kufos all on the same roster. As far as a trade you wonder what the perception of him is around the league. We see all the holes in his game but it only takes one team to think he's a unicorn in the making.

One of the kings beat reporters had the perfect tweet about willie "he's been here 3 years and i still have no idea if he's good or not". Such a strange player.

It's because they aren't thinking inside the box of him being a role player. Role players are good at what they're good at and can be some of the most important parts of championship teams if used effectively. It's hard to get a grasp on what Willie is depending on what you're looking for or how he's used in that given game from play to play but if you look at him as a whole it's somewhat clear how he can help a team as a pick and roll finisher, mid range spot shooter, high post passer, with low usage and more energy spent on switching in pick and roll defensively. If that's not what the Kings are looking for then it will never work. I think they should start molding him into a Brad Miller type of player that lives off the pick and pop because Willie could really do some damage like Brad did in the triple threat from the elbow area as a shooter, passer, and driver. We see too much post play and one on one maneuvering from him. For every spectacular play there are 5 head slappers.
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#394 » by kingjawn100 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 am

The thing with Willie is the numbers are so deceiving. He averages 12 & 7 which isn't bad for a starting center. But it's the least impactful 12&7 you'll ever see.

At least in terms of scoring and rebounding he puts up the same numbers as Al Horford. Would anyone rather have Willie than Al Horford? Absolutely not. That being said, he's only a couple baskets and a few rebounds away from being a 16&10 guy. If i said that about anyone else the obvious thought would be to re-sign him but this just shows how meaningless stats are at times.
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#395 » by jazanetti » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:06 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:How could you ever want to see Zbo out there instead of WCS? Hes literally the laziest player i've ever seen dawn a Kings uniform and that says a lot because my hate for Ramon Sessions, Jimmer and Stauskas.

I can say exactly the same about Willie. He looks totally disinterested without ball in his hands. The difference between him and ZBo is the fact that nobody still can't stop ZBo moving into the paint, while everybody successfully stops Willie. And ZBo can shoot, Willie can not.
Another thing - I remember ZBo's last season in Memphis: he was moved to the bench and was effective in backup center role. He is very slow at 36 and can't defend against PFs, but i think he can still be effective at the paint against opponents centers defensively and offensively and even stretch the floor.

SacKingZZZ wrote:he can help a team as a pick and roll finisher, mid range spot shooter, high post passer, with low usage and more energy spent on switching in pick and roll defensively

Again, he seems to be disinterested in hard work: screens, switching in PnR. His screens are not solid, he thinks about how to run to the rim but not about how to help ball handler to create space. If he changes his mind into a hard working role player, I'd be glad to see him in Kings uniform. But after 3 years I didn't see even a hint of it.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#396 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:04 pm

jazanetti wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:How could you ever want to see Zbo out there instead of WCS? Hes literally the laziest player i've ever seen dawn a Kings uniform and that says a lot because my hate for Ramon Sessions, Jimmer and Stauskas.

I can say exactly the same about Willie. He looks totally disinterested without ball in his hands. The difference between him and ZBo is the fact that nobody still can't stop ZBo moving into the paint, while everybody successfully stops Willie. And ZBo can shoot, Willie can not.
Another thing - I remember ZBo's last season in Memphis: he was moved to the bench and was effective in backup center role. He is very slow at 36 and can't defend against PFs, but i think he can still be effective at the paint against opponents centers defensively and offensively and even stretch the floor.

SacKingZZZ wrote:he can help a team as a pick and roll finisher, mid range spot shooter, high post passer, with low usage and more energy spent on switching in pick and roll defensively

Again, he seems to be disinterested in hard work: screens, switching in PnR. His screens are not solid, he thinks about how to run to the rim but not about how to help ball handler to create space. If he changes his mind into a hard working role player, I'd be glad to see him in Kings uniform. But after 3 years I didn't see even a hint of it.

I would be disinterested as well. So far his 1st year with Karl looked to be the best system for him.

Last year the majority of the year, we saw Cousins/Gay with the ball in their hands all game. Once Cousins was moved and Rudy went down, WCS played some really good basketball with Lawson, no surprise there.

The splits tell the entire story, https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/caulewi01/splits/2017

February on he began to improve. By April he was averaging 15/10.

This year hes had to deal with a system where either he, Skal, Koufos, or Randolph are being told to play inside-out when thats not how they should be playing. Its amazing Skal looked absolutely horrendous earlier this year, then he got injured and when he came back they started putting him in better spots. Its no surprise, Randolph looks good because hes playing in Joergers system. While the athletic guys are struggling because this isn't how they are designed to play.

I really don't think this is rocket science. Players like WCS are designed for todays NBA, guys like Randolph are dinosaurs who no longer belong. I blame Joerger for this.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#397 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:55 pm

jazanetti wrote:

I'll give it to you that he does sometimes looks like he's giving less than 100% but he made it into the top 10 of teams big boards for that one skill. It's what he lived off of at Kentucky. I don't think it's disinterest as much as the Kings playing off pick and rolls strategically or using the classic hedge and recover. The Kings rarely play small enough to switch and that's never been a part of Joergers defensive system anyway. I think they should see if he can pull it off and jump into the 21st century defensively for once.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#398 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:00 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jazanetti wrote:

I would be disinterested as well. So far his 1st year with Karl looked to be the best system for him.

Last year the majority of the year, we saw Cousins/Gay with the ball in their hands all game. Once Cousins was moved and Rudy went down, WCS played some really good basketball with Lawson, no surprise there.

The splits tell the entire story, https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/caulewi01/splits/2017

This year hes had to deal with a system where either he, Skal, Koufos, or Randolph are being told to play inside-out when thats not how they should be playing. Its amazing Skal looked absolutely horrendous earlier this year, then he got injured and when he came back they started putting him in better spots. Its no surprise, Randolph looks good because hes playing in Joergers system. While the athletic guys are struggling because this isn't how they are designed to play.

I really don't think this is rocket science. Players like WCS are designed for todays NBA, guys like Randolph are dinosaurs who no longer belong. I blame Joerger for this.

Excellent post. He was the prototype big for a Karl led team too.

I wouldn't necessarily say players like Randolph don't belong, but if they do it's on a team that can make the most of their talents. Randolph can still get it done as a scorer and I think he could help a contender because when the playoffs hit being able to score one on one is mandatory. I can only imagine him as a 6th man on the Spurs, Rockets, or Cavs. The Celtics could use someone like him as well.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#399 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:04 pm

I wrote something on Mikal Bridges, if y'all are interested in reading it. I project him as a better defensive Khris Middleton, or a rich man's Otto Porter. Loved him last year and he transformed himself into a second round / late first prospect to a lotto lock while improving in every area of his game.

Check it out here - https://thefrontofficeeye.com/2018/03/27/1053/

I used to work in the F/O of the Tulsa Shock after undergrad working on evaluations / scouting, contracts, helping coaches, and literally everything else they needed from me.

If y'all want some specific player evals, let me know and I'll do my best to get to them. If you like what you see, spread the word!
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Draft Watch 2018 

Post#400 » by jazanetti » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:07 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jazanetti wrote:

Todays NBA requires everyone to shoot, even bigs. Guys who can't shoot must be elite rim protectors and rebounders or vet minimum level players.

Return to Sacramento Kings