ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 68: Sacramento Kings (21-46) @ Oklahoma City Thunder (39-29) - 8:00 PM ET

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Re: Game 68: Sacramento Kings (21-46) @ Oklahoma City Thunder (39-29) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#21 » by codydaze » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
codydaze wrote:
KF10 wrote:If I were to give Dave a grade, it would be a C...maybe C-. I wouldn't say he was doing a "fine job"

It's been abundantly clear from day one that Joerger is an "earn your minutes" coach and has the young guys on a short leash. Guys like Zbo, Temple, Koufos, VC have proved they are NBA players so they'll get their minutes. I like the approach, I know you and a lot of other posters don't like it but I honestly think that's the best for development, it keeps them hungry. These guys are pros and if they're sulking about minutes then maybe that's not a guy you want around. Buddy goes through lapses of really bad defense, being turnover prone and then gets pulled and plays short minutes. I'm fine with that. Skal is a black hole on offense and gets pushed around on defense so he gets pulled and plays short minutes. I'm fine with that too.

I understand wanting to play the young guys more and play faster but there isn't one, single development plan that works for every coach/team/player. Phoenix plays their young guys a ton and, in my opinion, to what their perceived strengths as a team should be and look where they are.

See, this is where it's hard to justify much of what he does without it being completely propped up by some sort of false reality that things are equal. Like with Skal, he doesn't play because he can't guard stretch 4's yet Zbo has carte blanche. Grizz fans told us there would be days like these.

That’s what I mean though when I say Zbo has proven he’s an NBA player and that he can be a go to guy so he has the privilege of being able to get his minutes on a team like this, forcing Skal win that position outright. It might not be fair to let Zbo off the leash when Skal’s is super short but that’s the way some coaches operate. No different than a high school coach giving the seniors minutes because the freshman and sophomore will have their time to get theirs. Now obviously high school basketball and the NBA are different beasts but the mentality is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Game 68: Sacramento Kings (21-46) @ Oklahoma City Thunder (39-29) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#22 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:34 am

codydaze wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
codydaze wrote:
It's been abundantly clear from day one that Joerger is an "earn your minutes" coach and has the young guys on a short leash. Guys like Zbo, Temple, Koufos, VC have proved they are NBA players so they'll get their minutes. I like the approach, I know you and a lot of other posters don't like it but I honestly think that's the best for development, it keeps them hungry. These guys are pros and if they're sulking about minutes then maybe that's not a guy you want around. Buddy goes through lapses of really bad defense, being turnover prone and then gets pulled and plays short minutes. I'm fine with that. Skal is a black hole on offense and gets pushed around on defense so he gets pulled and plays short minutes. I'm fine with that too.

I understand wanting to play the young guys more and play faster but there isn't one, single development plan that works for every coach/team/player. Phoenix plays their young guys a ton and, in my opinion, to what their perceived strengths as a team should be and look where they are.

See, this is where it's hard to justify much of what he does without it being completely propped up by some sort of false reality that things are equal. Like with Skal, he doesn't play because he can't guard stretch 4's yet Zbo has carte blanche. Grizz fans told us there would be days like these.

That’s what I mean though when I say Zbo has proven he’s an NBA player and that he can be a go to guy so he has the privilege of being able to get his minutes on a team like this, forcing Skal win that position outright. It might not be fair to let Zbo off the leash when Skal’s is super short but that’s the way some coaches operate. No different than a high school coach giving the seniors minutes because the freshman and sophomore will have their time to get theirs. Now obviously high school basketball and the NBA are different beasts but the mentality is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Then he needs to come out and just say Zbo > the young guys. Don't create some excuse that has no basis in fact. When coaches do that they eventually find themselves in the midst of a revolt.

Return to Sacramento Kings