ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings Off-Season

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,594

Kings Off-Season 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Apr 7, 2018 5:33 pm

Not a Kings fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Kings are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 159

Re: Kings Off-Season 

Post#2 » by Lost in LA » Sat Apr 7, 2018 7:52 pm

Make a bad draft pick and overpay for free agents?
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,243

Post#3 » by blind prophet » Sat Apr 7, 2018 10:34 pm

Lost in LA wrote:Make a bad draft pick and overpay for free agents?

The usual sir?
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#4 » by blind prophet » Sat Apr 7, 2018 10:36 pm

I'd be surprised if we didn't offer Gordon & Parker something. Not all of us would think that's a good idea, but Vlade probably will. Could toss a cheap bone to Mario.

Expect every overpaid veteran who has an option to opt in.

Wouldn't be surprised if a vet gets moved by the deadline.
kingjawn100
Senior
And1: 106

Post#5 » by kingjawn100 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 1:40 am

Might be this offseason/might be next but i'm starting to think us re-signing Willie is inevitable. Sure there are obvious holes in his game, but looking at it from a broader scope, just because it's the Kings we don't have many chances to sign a player with comparable stats and it's also a crapshoot that a rookie (even a lotto pick) would end up better than Willie. Any other market it probably wouldn't happen but this is a rare chance to have a player grow within the system for 7/8 years.

We all know Willie's numbers are deceiving but purely statwise at 13 & 7 he's already a middle of the road nba center. Let say he jumps to 17 & 9 next year...it will be hard to just let him walk for nothing. That's not even a massive leap to think it won't happen. Again he's not nearly as good as his stats say but at least the traditional numbers aren't terrible. Obviously the defense and finishing are issues.

Also there's the reality that he actually may be getting better. I'm not talking about garbage games like last night but his hands are considerably better than they were when he was drafted.If we bring in a rim protecting big man Willie's game becomes a lot more tolerable.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#6 » by BoogieTime » Sun Apr 8, 2018 1:53 am

kingjawn100 wrote:Might be this offseason/might be next but i'm starting to think us re-signing Willie is inevitable. Sure there are obvious holes in his game, but looking at it from a broader scope, just because it's the Kings we don't have many chances to sign a player with comparable stats and it's also a crapshoot that a rookie (even a lotto pick) would end up better than Willie. Any other market it probably wouldn't happen but this is a rare chance to have a player grow within the system for 7/8 years.

We all know Willie's numbers are deceiving but purely statwise at 13 & 7 he's already a middle of the road nba center. Let say he jumps to 17 & 9 next year...it will be hard to just let him walk for nothing. That's not even a massive leap to think it won't happen. Again he's not nearly as good as his stats say but at least the traditional numbers aren't terrible. Obviously the defense and finishing are issues.

Also there's the reality that he actually may be getting better. I'm not talking about garbage games like last night but his hands are considerably better than they were when he was drafted.If we bring in a rim protecting big man Willie's game becomes a lot more tolerable.

Your belief/tolerance with WCS is more than mine. I don’t know if a hard nosed coach like Joerger is really looking forward to giving WCS another year, but we will see. Actually this summer I can see some centers within the Kings reach. I could see us being able to possibly outbid for Noel/Jordan/Nurkic, for different reasons.. Nurkic might be the most questionable, but Portland is capped out and might be confident in Collins. I see them a lot more attainable than prime FAs like Gordon/Randle, who I personally am not a fan of, for the Kings
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#7 » by kingjawn100 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 2:28 am

BoogieTime wrote:
kingjawn100 wrote:Might be this offseason/might be next but i'm starting to think us re-signing Willie is inevitable. Sure there are obvious holes in his game, but looking at it from a broader scope, just because it's the Kings we don't have many chances to sign a player with comparable stats and it's also a crapshoot that a rookie (even a lotto pick) would end up better than Willie. Any other market it probably wouldn't happen but this is a rare chance to have a player grow within the system for 7/8 years.

Your belief/tolerance with WCS is more than mine. I don’t know if a hard nosed coach like Joerger is really looking forward to giving WCS another year, but we will see. Actually this summer I can see some centers within the Kings reach. I could see us being able to possibly outbid for Noel/Jordan/Nurkic, for different reasons.. Nurkic might be the most questionable, but Portland is capped out and might be confident in Collins. I see them a lot more attainable than prime FAs like Gordon/Randle, who I personally am not a fan of, for the Kings

i'm not a Willie fan but us getting rid of him to sign a guy like Nerlens Noel isn't even a lateral move...its a downgrade. Noel's had worse production his entire career, has character issues and couldn't even get on the court in Philly or Dallas. There are a ton of guys like that who would be different, but probably not better. We all want a change but unless its actually making the team better im not too interested. If this was a big free agent destination sure let's take our chances but if the likely best scenario is Noel or a guy like Alex Len id pass.

Nurkic/Jordan would be great but likely aint happening.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#8 » by BoogieTime » Sun Apr 8, 2018 3:15 am

kingjawn100 wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

i'm not a Willie fan but us getting rid of him to sign a guy like Nerlens Noel isn't even a lateral move...its a downgrade. Noel's had worse production his entire career, has character issues and couldn't even get on the court in Philly or Dallas. There are a ton of guys like that who would be different, but probably not better. We all want a change but unless its actually making the team better im not too interested. If this was a big free agent destination sure let's take our chances but if the likely best scenario is Noel or a guy like Alex Len id pass.

Nurkic/Jordan would be great but likely aint happening.

I don’t agree. Less countable stats? His advanced metrics were solid enough last year that Dallas wanted to offer him 4/70. WCS IMO is a tweener, who doesn’t rim protect or rebound adequately. I think Noel hasn’t been put in a position to succeed.

If we were to poll the General Board on if they would rather take a chance on Noel or WCS I think it would favor Noel
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#9 » by KF10 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 3:55 am

After Noel's violation of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program terms, his value took a big hit.

He's a classic bargain bin player pick up. He can be have for the cheap now.

If I was the Kings, I would cut all my losses and ditch WCS and sign Noel -- who, by the way, will cost a lot less than WCS eventual contract, imo.

Noel is a considerably better defensive player than WCS and a comparable offensive player to boot.
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#10 » by kingjawn100 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 4:30 am

Sure Nerlens will be cheaper than he would have been a year ago but it's not like he's signing for the veteran's minimum. He got suspended for what is legal in a lot of the country. His bigger issue is that he's sucked on the court so much that 2 organizations decided he's not even a rotational player (go on the mavs board and you'll see what they think of Nerlens the player). He's also always gets injured. Not exactly someone you can just hand over the center position to (he's also 20 pounds lighter than Willie, for those who rip WCS for being light in the ass).

I'm all about taking risks and Noel's definitely worth signing but only if we also either bring Willie back next year or draft a big with our first rounder.

A question i'll pose to you guys...what sort of return do you think we're getting back for Willie if we trade him this offseason?
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#11 » by BoogieTime » Sun Apr 8, 2018 4:54 am

kingjawn100 wrote:Sure Nerlens will be cheaper than he would have been a year ago but it's not like he's signing for the veteran's minimum. He got suspended for what is legal in a lot of the country. His bigger issue is that he's sucked on the court so much that 2 organizations decided he's not even a rotational player (go on the mavs board and you'll see what they think of Nerlens the player). He's also always gets injured. Not exactly someone you can just hand over the center position to (he's also 20 pounds lighter than Willie, for those who rip WCS for being light in the ass).

I'm all about taking risks and Noel's definitely worth signing but only if we also either bring Willie back next year or draft a big with our first rounder.

A question i'll pose to you guys...what sort of return do you think we're getting back for Willie if we trade him this offseason?

Him not having a role in Dallas isn’t based on his talent IMO. They tried to sign him, to the tune of 4/70, and let him waste away once it became clear he wasn’t going to be in their plans after they couldn’t come up with a contract. Philly delt him because they had Embiid and Okafor and other bigs before his contract was up.

WCS isn’t worth much because he’s not good at basketball IMO. I think he’d be an add in on a draft day maneuver or sweetener for some team not matching our offer on an RFA. But I have no need for him on the team going forward, personally. He lacks motor, and that doesn’t get better, it’s an immutable trait
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,571

Post#12 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:04 am

kingjawn100 wrote:Sure Nerlens will be cheaper than he would have been a year ago but it's not like he's signing for the veteran's minimum. He got suspended for what is legal in a lot of the country. His bigger issue is that he's sucked on the court so much that 2 organizations decided he's not even a rotational player (go on the mavs board and you'll see what they think of Nerlens the player). He's also always gets injured. Not exactly someone you can just hand over the center position to (he's also 20 pounds lighter than Willie, for those who rip WCS for being light in the ass).

Agree with this. Lets assume that we miss out on the Randles, Gordons of the world, and end up drafting either Porter, Doncic, or Bridges (depending where we fall), I wouldn't mind bringing Noel in with WCS. Let them both play the center spot and compete against eachother. If Noel clearly outplays WCS than we figure out a bigger contract for him and let WCS go.

But honestly with his attitude issues, injury issues, not accepting a 4/70 then clearly showing he wasn't worth that money to begin with, I truly don't see him as a better option than WCS. I trust Carlisle as a coach, Noel not being able to crack 22 minutes per game even on a team devoid of young talent really says something.

For all the WCS hate, hes been a good locker room guy, hard worker, stays relatively healthy, and Willie also is a much better shooter from 16'-23'. One more year to see how he develops and then we make our decision. If we all agree his trade value isn't great, no reason to give up now. But i've beat this subject to death at this point lol.
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#13 » by kingjawn100 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 4:00 pm

The frustrating thing with the a guy like Noel, who's gonna be looking to resurrect his career next season, is that if he comes to the Kings he'll probably just be looking for a 1-year/prove it type deal (which actually makes Sac a legit option). But If he plays well next year in Sac there's a 99% chance he'd look to sign a bigger/long term contract elsewhere after the season. It's just a reality of the Kings in free agency - guys use this organization as a short term pit stop to get their careers back on track (a la rondo etc)

It may seem obvious but the only way to make this more of a long term destantion for bigger names is to develop our roster to make this as attractive a destination as possible.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#14 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 6:55 pm

NYG wrote:Not a Kings fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Kings are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.

These kind of discussions tend to get off topic quickly but if you look at this topic link you can get a feel for what some think about the future moves.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1672952
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#15 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:41 pm

KF10 wrote:After Noel's violation of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program terms, his value took a big hit.

He's a classic bargain bin player pick up. He can be have for the cheap now.

If I was the Kings, I would cut all my losses and ditch WCS and sign Noel -- who, by the way, will cost a lot less than WCS eventual contract, imo.

Noel is a considerably better defensive player than WCS and a comparable offensive player to boot.

I don't think they are going to do that with the time they've put in on Willie. I fully expect Willie to stay even if they drafted a C. It just seems like a total Kings moves.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#16 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:45 pm

How much money does everyone expect the Kings to even have? I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both Koufos and Temple opt in and with that draft pick money I don't think the Kings will have the ability to make too many major moves in FA.

My personal opinion is the Kings come into next year mostly the same. Hopefully they give the young guys full burn next year, save some of that salary cap heading into the season, and strike on a major deal using expirings, some shined up youth, and cap space to either get some 2019 picks or another key building block should they become available.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#17 » by blind prophet » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:00 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:How much money does everyone expect the Kings to even have? I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both Koufos and Temple opt in and with that draft pick money I don't think the Kings will have the ability to make too many major moves in FA.

My personal opinion is the Kings come into next year mostly the same. Hopefully they give the young guys full burn next year, save some of that salary cap heading into the season, and strike on a major deal using expirings, some shined up youth, and cap space to either get some 2019 picks or another key building block should they become available.

I'd be really surprised to see Shump, Kosta, or Temple opt out.

Be shocked if we took the option on Bruno too.

Nigel is a team option, not sure, probably not kept.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#18 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:13 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:How much money does everyone expect the Kings to even have? I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both Koufos and Temple opt in and with that draft pick money I don't think the Kings will have the ability to make too many major moves in FA.

Once we renounce Carter and Bruno's cap holds we'll have 20 mil in cap space. If just one of the 3 opts out we'll have 30mil or close to it. I think getting a big or a SF in FA, depending on who we draft, is very do-able and in the card for the front office.

If they do draft a big and go after Mario in FA(I dont see he costing more that 8mil a yr), we'd have 20mil still to execute whatever future plan they want. When you go even further you see that after 2018 there is another 42 mil coming off the books in KK, Temple, Shump(if they is still here) and Zach expiring and then we have options or RFA on WCS, Skal Giles, Jackson, Heild and Fox. We could literally start over with after next yr if we wanted to. Our options are wide open.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#19 » by BoogieTime » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:37 pm

The Randolph contract was bad. Imagine if they didn’t have his 12 mil on the books. You don’t give him that second year
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#20 » by BoogieTime » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:39 pm

blind prophet wrote:

I'd be really surprised to see Shump, Kosta, or Temple opt out.

Be shocked if we took the option on Bruno too.

Nigel is a team option, not sure, probably not kept.

I actually think maybe Koufos. May opt out to get a longer term deal, even starting at 4/5 mil, from a winning team

Return to Sacramento Kings