Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Re: Kings Off-Season 

Post#1121 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:39 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
sixers238 wrote:
Sixers fan here, like to follow the Kings. Are you an insider on this board? Are you able to share more about Kawhi and the Sixers? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure anyone knows what vlade is thinking. He talks about wanting to take on bad contracts for picks, yet we watch as Brooklyn and philly do the moves we should have. And instead of getting in those moves we throw a huge contract at lavine.

We need a small forward but aside from herzonja we haven't been linked to one.

We are linked to smart, and then we refute that.

The hope is we get in some trade at some point while using our cap for assets or a small forward. I wouldnt be surprised to see us throw Skal or WCS for Covington if the opportunity arises in a 3 way trade.

The small forward thing is your personal perception. I’ve been waiting for Buddy/Bogdan to start for awhile but Jackson looked good in SL and looks on pace to being a solid player
dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Post#1122 » by dozencousins » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:10 am

sixers238 wrote:
dozencousins wrote:Kings have very recently reached out to Capela's agent . It is very possible Kings will make a move to attempt to get him .
Same could be said for M.Smart . They will not & cannot go after both .

Part of the hiccup is do to a couple of things .

1 ) The Kings are in 3 way trade discussion with the 76ers & Spurs which if it worked out would send Leonard to the 76ers .
Also Kings are in talks with Minny however those talks are much lighter than the 3 way deal above .

Either of these 2 trade situations are preventing them from making the offer sheets to either above .

Also it is a wait out game right now . Kings are being smart about this . Let others spend their cap , fill their rosters spaces and then go after the best available and get any players on the cheaper end.
We all know players do not flock to sign with the Kings so the above method is imperative .
The great thing is if we can get that 1 player here or there via signing or trades & we finally & I mean finally get much better we will then become far more attractive to players wanting to be on our team .

Sometimes being very low key & patient pays off big time .

Finally lets just say it doesn't work out we don't make that 1 signing now or trade . I can 100% guarantee everyone Kings will be in great position via trades for draft picks , a great player unhappy ( Not saying it would happen but what if J.Butler or another great player use your imagination wanted out & Kings have great cap the right young players to offer or whatever then we capitalize 1 way or the other )
It has taken years for the Kings to finally have this cap space we had to wait out Kenny Thomas and about 3-4 other bad contracts to finally expire just to get to this position .

Kings will do all they can to strike while the iron is hot and pounce when that right trade comes . Finally most likely after the next draft we will finally owe no major draft picks . If we took the current roster right now we will be lucky to win 30-35 games at best .
All that can change with 1 right trade , 1 right signing .

Drafting Bagley was stupid IMO . The Mavs got the right guy via trade 90% of us all now this . I hope I end up being very wrong I really do .

I fully expect that WCS will be dealt at worst before the trade deadline however I think he will get dealt before the season , Shump & Randolph are others most probable but not for sure based on expiring and not wanting to take on bad contract etc. They would buy out players before taking any bad contract unless that equaled a # 1 pick at least .

Be positive everyone something good is about to happen soon . Believe it or not the Leonard situation is a big part in all this . However that said Kings will only wait so long before they move on from that possible deal however due to most teams being out of cap & filling their rosters mostly the Kings can afford to wait is out a bit . Plus players unsigned will get antsy and be willing to take a bit less than they wanted then the Kings can strike !

Sixers fan here, like to follow the Kings. Are you an insider on this board? Are you able to share more about Kawhi and the Sixers? Thanks in advance.

I get info from a source via through the organization yes . I do not get all the information all the time . Their has been information I have posted in the past that has happened though that is on the rarer end simply because most trade talks , rumors do not end up happening . I mostly get info on trade chatter some never gets posted to twitter etc. & some has been posted after I have mentioned info & other times something happens so fast I do not get it at all or I am to busy to post it or care to based on some seriously rude posters whom seem to think they know that I am posting info I do not know when I really do .
Always will be haters because you know something they may not or because your name is not Woj . Then you post as I am now and somebody will follow up as if they are speaking on behalf of me or as if they even know me or know what I know or I do not know .
I get other info in terms of some other stuff as well from time to time .
I know from my stand point if somebody wants to post updates , info , inside stuff I understand not to try and start drama , discredit anyone anywhere because you never really know and if I do not believe something I try and not waste my time responding or believing that person as it is not worth it .

Yes bottom line is we are in 3 way talks still between us , 76ers & Spurs . I only know some of what is talked about that is all . Nothing is for sure at all . I will hardly ever get a trade exactly as it will happen and be able to post it before it does mostly because pieces & parts of deals change all the time , a 3rd team sometimes gets involved when it;s just your team & another . Alot happens .
On a side note I own my own business & work for myself . I am not a Woj and has tons of personal insiders that work for him I am nothing close to that nor do I care to be . I also via my source based on teams in talks with us find out sometimes info once in a while about something another team may be trying to do .

If I here anything more I will try & post it most likely .

I will close out buy saying this in general . Unlike many on the board I do not post nearly as often as most . I am way to busy between my business , family life and I have many important people that are disabled and ill so I just do not have time , I also have had some people whom are family members here on this board & people that know each other on this board whom act childish by attacking me with nothing to go on other than an opinion and those few - handful members group together to attack me again not knowing anything about me or what I Know at all . That is not to insinuate I know more than anyone person or everyone that is to say that you should not believe anyone whom is speaking in any way like they speaking for me or behalf of me or that all members know nothing here of what the Kings are thinking when that is 100 % false .

Sorry for going on a bit . I just wanted to respond to you but wanted you to know from me in regards as if history repeats itself here as it mostly does someone will reply being rude or speaking on my behalf etc. and their would most likely be people related all ganging up . I do not want that , not looking for it but that seems to be the situation . I would rather as those in charge have always said time & time again . If you do not believe somebody it is simply best to ignore them and use the ignore tab .
I also wished that all people learned what most all good parents teach their kids and that is if you have nothing nice to say do not say anything at all .

To be clear I am not trying to call out any poster or bash others . It would be nice if it all stopped . Their has been posts before that I have disagreed with and others I thought were great as well as others I thought were so way out there crazy but I would never even think of telling a poster they were a liar as I could not prove it and it's not worth it some have not learned this and cannot help themselves because they like to have something to say , see their owns words written down , here their own voice and they have nothing better to do .

The only thing I know right now is that right now you guys the 76ers are the main hold up in the deal . 76ers are holding out on the needed future draft picks to be offered in the deal to make the deal happen .
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Re: RE: Re: Kings Off-Season 

Post#1123 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:12 am

BoogieTime wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
sixers238 wrote:

I'm not sure anyone knows what vlade is thinking. He talks about wanting to take on bad contracts for picks, yet we watch as Brooklyn and philly do the moves we should have. And instead of getting in those moves we throw a huge contract at lavine.

We need a small forward but aside from herzonja we haven't been linked to one.

We are linked to smart, and then we refute that.

The hope is we get in some trade at some point while using our cap for assets or a small forward. I wouldnt be surprised to see us throw Skal or WCS for Covington if the opportunity arises in a 3 way trade.

The small forward thing is your personal perception. I’ve been waiting for Buddy/Bogdan to start for awhile but Jackson looked good in SL and looks on pace to being a solid player
I'd love for buddy/bogdan to start together. However they had all year to do that and it didnt happen.

I dont care about summer league, when will we ever lesrn?until Jackson proves something in the season, I'm lo ok king for a serious option

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using RealGM mobile app
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#1124 » by City of Trees » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:32 pm

dozencousins wrote: Unlike many on the board I do not post nearly as often as most . I am way to busy between my business , family life and I have many important people that are disabled and ill so I just do not have time
In my eight or nine years on this board I've never muted a poster until now.

97% of the info you've posted on behalf of your source never happens anyways so im sure I wont miss much.

Good luck with your busy life.
Call Me Geoff
Junior
And1: 68

Post#1125 » by Call Me Geoff » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 pm

City of Trees wrote:
dozencousins wrote: Unlike many on the board I do not post nearly as often as most . I am way to busy between my business , family life and I have many important people that are disabled and ill so I just do not have time

97% of the info you've posted on behalf of your source never happens anyways so im sure I wont miss much.

97%? I’d say more like 99.9%.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#1126 » by kalenclayton » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Call Me Geoff wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

97%? I’d say more like 99.9%.

Guys, this type of stuff just clogs up the thread. If you don’t like what he says, just disregard and ignore. None of us want to see drama unfold in this manner.
kingjawn100
Senior
And1: 106

Post#1127 » by kingjawn100 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:12 pm

At this point is anyone still downplaying the importance of the loss of Scott Perry? I mean, i still don't understand it. For a bit that looked like our gateway out of misery. Not stars but somehow decent free agents were interested in playing for the kings. Then we let him out of his contract with little compensation to join another team?! And now we cant get even mid level free agents to seriously consider joining the team (they are actually signing worse contracts to play elsewhere).

Vlade should have done everything possible to figure out a way for Perry to get a major raise/job title upgrade for him to stay. And honestly Vivek should have looked at the situation and said "who would i have more confidence in running this organization...Vlade or Perry?" and then promptly fired or re-assigned vlade.

The Kings are a team that will NEVER lure good free agents without having someone with credibility in the organization. For the first time in as long as i can remember we had that guy....then let him go! Inexcusable
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#1128 » by kingjawn100 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:27 pm

kingjawn100 wrote:At this point is anyone still downplaying the importance of the loss of Scott Perry? I mean, i still don't understand it. For a bit that looked like our gateway out of misery. Not stars but somehow decent free agents were interested in playing for the kings. Then we let him out of his contract with little compensation to join another team?! And now we cant get even mid level free agents to seriously consider joining the team (they are actually signing worse contracts to play elsewhere).

Vlade should have done everything possible to figure out a way for Perry to get a major raise/job title upgrade for him to stay. And honestly Vivek should have looked at the situation and said "who would i have more confidence in running this organization...Vlade or Perry?" and then promptly fired or re-assigned vlade.

The Kings are a team that will NEVER lure good free agents without having someone with credibility in the organization. For the first time in as long as i can remember we had that guy....then let him go! Inexcusable

And honestly Brandon Williams should be getting some heat as well. If reports are correct that Williams is handling a lot of GM duties and dealing directly with teams then he's had nothing too positive to show for at this point. He never sounded like a home run hire and i may be wrong but it didn't sound like he had experience running the show at the nba level.

Peja seemed like purely a nostalgic hire with more of a ceremonial role and Catanella sounds like purely a numbers/salary cap guy.

I'm not sure who in the front office inspires a ton of confidence.

If things don't work out with the team this year i'd love to see David Griffin brought in with a chance to do something with all the cap room we'll have to work with.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#1129 » by becorz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 pm

kingjawn100 wrote:At this point is anyone still downplaying the importance of the loss of Scott Perry? I mean, i still don't understand it. For a bit that looked like our gateway out of misery. Not stars but somehow decent free agents were interested in playing for the kings. Then we let him out of his contract with little compensation to join another team?! And now we cant get even mid level free agents to seriously consider joining the team (they are actually signing worse contracts to play elsewhere).

I do think that Scott Perry was a good front office piece to have, so please do not take what I am saying the wrong way, but in the long view, did Perry really help that much? In the three months we had him we signed a few players. But George Hill didn't seem to have that many suitors and the Kings paid him $20m a year. We signed Randolph to a two year contract he wasn't going to get anywhere else and he had the connection already with our coach. We signed Vince Carter, who also had a connection with the coach, to a big contract he couldn't really get anywhere else.

Do you think George Hill, Randolph, or Carter were really signing significantly smaller contracts elsewhere? I really don't think they were.

Realistically, there was nothing the Kings could have done to keep Perry around, IMO. If they didn't let him interview for a job that was a step up from the one they had, no one would ever want to interview him again. 30 out of 30 teams would have let him go for the interview. I mean, even if the Kings fired Vlade then and there, Perry is a New York guy. He was going to want to go to New York.

Again, I think that Perry was a good person to have around from an organizational culture point of view. But I don't think for one second he is the reason that we got Hill/Randolph/Carter, where 2 out of 3 are now considered bad contracts.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#1130 » by City of Trees » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Seems strange to applaud Perry for orchestrating Hill, VC, Randolph and in the same breath torch Vlade for signing them.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,535

Post#1131 » by codydaze » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm

What has he done in New York so far that letting him go was inexcusable?
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#1132 » by kingjawn100 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 pm

becorz wrote:

I do think that Scott Perry was a good front office piece to have, so please do not take what I am saying the wrong way, but in the long view, did Perry really help that much? In the three months we had him we signed a few players. But George Hill didn't seem to have that many suitors and the Kings paid him $20m a year. We signed Randolph to a two year contract he wasn't going to get anywhere else and he had the connection already with our coach. We signed Vince Carter, who also had a connection with the coach, to a big contract he couldn't really get anywhere else.

Do you think George Hill, Randolph, or Carter were really signing significantly smaller contracts elsewhere? I really don't think they were.

Realistically, there was nothing the Kings could have done to keep Perry around, IMO. If they didn't let him interview for a job that was a step up from the one they had, no one would ever want to interview him again. 30 out of 30 teams would have let him go for the interview. I mean, even if the Kings fired Vlade then and there, Perry is a New York guy. He was going to want to go to New York.

Again, I think that Perry was a good person to have around from an organizational culture point of view. But I don't think for one second he is the reason that we got Hill/Randolph/Carter, where 2 out of 3 are now considered bad contracts.

Forget how those guys played for a moment. These were 3 established vets, Hill at that point being a top free agent, who decided to come to the Kings instead of other teams. That simply doesn't happen in Sacramento.

With solely Vlade in charge do we really think a player of George Hill's caliber would have ended up with the Kings??

Is it a coincidence that Mario Hezonja decides to take a lesser deal from Scott Perry to play for the Knicks instead of coming to Sac?
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#1133 » by kingjawn100 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:08 pm

codydaze wrote:

From the looks of things they may have had the best draft of any team in the entire league (knox and robinson both look like legit stars)

Also Hezonja takes a team friendly deal to play for the Knicks when better offers were out there.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#1134 » by becorz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 pm

kingjawn100 wrote:Forget how those guys played for a moment. These were 3 established vets, Hill at that point being a top free agent, who decided to come to the Kings instead of other teams. That simply doesn't happen in Sacramento.

With solely Vlade in charge do we really think a player of George Hill's caliber would have ended up with the Kings??

Is it a coincidence that Mario Hezonja decides to take a lesser deal from Scott Perry to play for the Knicks instead of coming to Sac?

Reports on Hill at the time was that he wasn't getting bites for any more than the mid-level when the Kings signed him. So, we offered him over 12 million more than any other team. Yes, I do think he would have come to Sacramento for an extra $12 million a year. The Kings offered Randolph an extra year and more money for the first year. I think he comes to Sacramento either way. Vince Carter wasn't getting $8 million for the year from anybody. That is why he came.

Again, I am not trying to downplay Perry's worth to the team. I think he was a good presence within the organization. But you are kidding yourself if you think he is the reason we got George Hill. And when he got offered the Knicks job, there was no scenario where the Kings could have kept him.

kingjawn100 wrote:From the looks of things they may have had the best draft of any team in the entire league (knox and robinson both look like legit stars)

Also Hezonja takes a team friendly deal to play for the Knicks when better offers were out there.

Way, way, way, way, way, WAY too early to make any judgement about Perry's draft this year. The report on Hezonja was that he chose the Knicks because they offered him a one year, where as the Kings wanted him to take a multi-year. Hezonja wanted back in free agency next year.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,535

Post#1135 » by codydaze » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 pm

kingjawn100 wrote:
codydaze wrote:

From the looks of things they may have had the best draft of any team in the entire league (knox and robinson both look like legit stars)

So basically signing Hezonja because neither Knox or Robinson would have been options for us. The pick still would have likely been Bagley regardless of Perry being a part of the FO or not, in my opinion. Zbo and Vince Carter seemed to be more Joerger signings than anything to do with Perry so really he was probably most responsible for signing George Hill which was a pretty bad deal for us so it's not like Perry really did anything that great for us.
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#1136 » by kingjawn100 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 pm

becorz wrote:
kingjawn100 wrote:Forget how those guys played for a moment. These were 3 established vets, Hill at that point being a top free agent, who decided to come to the Kings instead of other teams. That simply doesn't happen in Sacramento.

Reports on Hill at the time was that he wasn't getting bites for any more than the mid-level when the Kings signed him. So, we offered him over 12 million more than any other team. Yes, I do think he would have come to Sacramento for an extra $12 million a year. The Kings offered Randolph an extra year and more money for the first year. I think he comes to Sacramento either way. Vince Carter wasn't getting $8 million for the year from anybody. That is why he came.

Again, I am not trying to downplay Perry's worth to the team. I think he was a good presence within the organization. But you are kidding yourself if you think he is the reason we got George Hill. And when he got offered the Knicks job, there was no scenario where the Kings could have kept him.

kingjawn100 wrote:From the looks of things they may have had the best draft of any team in the entire league (knox and robinson both look like legit stars)

Way, way, way, way, way, WAY too early to make any judgement about Perry's draft this year. The report on Hezonja was that he chose the Knicks because they offered him a one year, where as the Kings wanted him to take a multi-year. Hezonja wanted back in free agency next year.

However you look at it, we are offering guys the highest or near highest bid this year... and they are not coming.

All the reports stated Perry convinced Hill, ZBo and Carter that this could be a playoff team and so all 3 guys came to sac (hill was later upset with the departed Perry when the team wasn't winning). Whatever the intention, it was Perry's influence that made them come. He was both a great salesmen - to convince 3 credible vets that last year's roster could contend for the playoffs - and respected enough where the players' agents didn't try to steer them elsewhere (the kings are notorious for having players walk away from good deals to take lesser deals elsewhere).

As far as his departure, Perry wasn't in some 1 year deal with the kings where we let him out of his contract 5 or 6 months early. This was a multiyear deal with the ink not even dry yet. A very bad look by the Kings.

And all of this is not so much to praise Perry but he was at least a guy who had legit credibility around the league compared to what we have now.
kingjawn100
Senior

Post#1137 » by kingjawn100 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:26 pm

And this all isn't just to pile on the Kings front office. It sounds like they were in on Hezonja, Lavine and Parker so it's not like they've just been sitting around twirling their thumbs. There's also the chance that they reached out to other guys (Gordon, Randle, Smart, Capela etc) and were told the players just weren't interested in playing in Sac. Free agency is a 2-way street...it takes interest on the other side as well. Even restricted free agents have to agree to sign an offer sheet.

I'm probably more concerned with the players we haven't gotten rid of than the players we need to get. The glut of bigs of relatively equal skill level who probably all think they deserve minutes is a bit concerning. Although it sounds like ZBo has been good in that locker room i guarantee he thinks he could still contribute on a winning team. Would he be happy playing 10 minutes a night on a losing team next year? Will Willie, in a contract year, be happy coming off the bench? Some moves have to be made. it just sounds like there is no market for bigs. That's why i laugh whenever i hear someone say.."just sign capela and get rid of Skal, ZBo and Kosta". A lot harder than it sounds.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#1138 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:58 am

I posted this last year and I'm posting it again today. The Kings should sign Troy Williams. He's 6'7 218, has some NBA experience with the Grizzlies, Rockets, and Knicks and guess what...he plays small forward. He's super athletic and only 23. I'm not saying he's the answer but he's an inexpensive option to take a look at. He averaged 7.5 points and 3.5 rebounds in 17 minutes per game in 17 games for the Knicks last year. He was one of the standouts of the the 2017 Vegas Summer League averaging 22 points per game.

From NBADraft.net in 2016: He's an athletic wing with a non-stop motor ... He plays above the rim and is good for at least one highlight reel above the rim play in every game ... He's a tenacious and versatile defender ... He can guard multiple positions ... Has gotten stronger and more physical in his three years at Indiana ... He excels when he runs the floor and fills the lane ... He was a positive teammate on and off the court ... Hustles and scraps for every loose ball, never lacking for effort.

These all sound like good things for a young team that wants to run. His biggest weakness is he's inconsistent from 3. I still say sign him for cheap.

Here's his career high 21 point game versus Suns hitting 6 3's

Good recent 18 point game this past year with Knicks

2017 D-League Slam Dunk Champ

SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#1139 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:18 am

PetrieUnderstudy wrote:I posted this last year and I'm posting it again today. The Kings should sign Troy Williams. He's 6'7 218, has some NBA experience with the Grizzlies, Rockets, and Knicks and guess what...he plays small forward. He's super athletic and only 23. I'm not saying he's the answer but he's an inexpensive option to take a look at. He averaged 7.5 points and 3.5 rebounds in 17 minutes per game in 17 games for the Knicks last year. He was one of the standouts of the the 2017 Vegas Summer League averaging 22 points per game.

From NBADraft.net in 2016: He's an athletic wing with a non-stop motor ... He plays above the rim and is good for at least one highlight reel above the rim play in every game ... He's a tenacious and versatile defender ... He can guard multiple positions ... Has gotten stronger and more physical in his three years at Indiana ... He excels when he runs the floor and fills the lane ... He was a positive teammate on and off the court ... Hustles and scraps for every loose ball, never lacking for effort.

These all sound like good things for a young team that wants to run. His biggest weakness is he's inconsistent from 3. I still say sign him for cheap.

Here's his career high 21 point game versus Suns hitting 6 3's

Good recent 18 point game this past year with Knicks

2017 D-League Slam Dunk Champ

Haha, when I saw he was waived I figured you'd be posting about him. If the Kings are determined to get some size at F I'm OK with him on a cheap deal.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Post#1140 » by blind prophet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:32 am

I've been a fan of taking a shot on Troy for awhile too. We need to fill out the roster anyways and I'm sure he'd come cheap.

Return to Sacramento Kings