Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,012

Re: Kings Off-Season 

Post#261 » by dckingsfan » Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 pm

codydaze wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:We need to stop this kind of nonsense.

There is a salary floor as well as a cap. Does it make sense to hand the money to other teams? You don’t save and get to keep it. That is discourage the whole tanking thing by gutting your roster and having nothing but junk to get a draft pick.

The deals done were reasonable, astute and for guys that were incredibly beneficial in the growth and development of the young players.
Additionally, no matter what kind of BS is bandied about here in the boards, we all know that come summer and deadline time there will be a number of owners/gm’s that will be eager and willing to move stuff for cap space. There will also be contenders that have injuries or need that one year vet piece they think is necessary for a title push.

Be patient. Understand that this team is being built like the Warriors and Spurs and Blazers. Long haul contention and continuous appearance in the playoffs.

They were terrible moves - not looking at the long-term but rather the short-term. We could have met the salary floor easily - and we could have done it up until the June.

The deals were unreasonable - and silly. Patience is good - poor moves - not so much.

We get to agree to disagree.

How were they unreasonable when they all expire this year? It's not like we were handing out 4 year deals to these guys and the only deal for more than 10 million, anually, is Zbo's at 12 million.

Because - if you don't have those deals you are able to absorb other contracts and gain assets and cash. Those signings lead to $22,703,542 on the books in Randolph and Shumpert. Lots could have been done with that cap space...
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#262 » by codydaze » Wed May 16, 2018 9:48 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
codydaze wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:They were terrible moves - not looking at the long-term but rather the short-term. We could have met the salary floor easily - and we could have done it up until the June.

The deals were unreasonable - and silly. Patience is good - poor moves - not so much.

How were they unreasonable when they all expire this year? It's not like we were handing out 4 year deals to these guys and the only deal for more than 10 million, anually, is Zbo's at 12 million.

Because - if you don't have those deals you are able to absorb other contracts and gain assets and cash. Those signings lead to $22,703,542 on the books in Randolph and Shumpert. Lots could have been done with that cap space...

We still have 24 million in cap space this summer...
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#263 » by sacking123 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:05 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
codydaze wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:They were terrible moves - not looking at the long-term but rather the short-term. We could have met the salary floor easily - and we could have done it up until the June.

The deals were far from unreasonable.
I would go as far to say Vlade did a good job with them given we don’t have one single contract on the roster that is weighing us down.
Have a look around the NBA, there aren’t many teams at all that can boast that as many got caught up in the salary cap rise. Teams are going to continue being cautious of the cap, however we don’t just have expiring contracts for the deadline or earlier if they wish, but we have very useful players with expiring contracts so we actually are attractive to contenders and salary dumpers.
Vlade has given the roster a huge amount of flexibility and he doesn’t need to let the cap space burn a hole in his pocket. 19/20 is the time to use the space as it will stagger with contracts really well.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,012

Post#264 » by dckingsfan » Wed May 16, 2018 10:41 pm

codydaze wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
codydaze wrote:How were they unreasonable when they all expire this year? It's not like we were handing out 4 year deals to these guys and the only deal for more than 10 million, anually, is Zbo's at 12 million.

We still have 24 million in cap space this summer...

So, I don't think that is the point... you do like the Sixers did and you don't take on any contracts UNLESS you get an asset back.

The rest is just a waste. 11M here, 11M there - pretty soon it becomes real money.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#265 » by KF10 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 pm

Let's say the Kings draft Luka Dončić at 2.

What is the Kings' plan for the offseason?

To me, I don't see Fox starting off the bench -- so he's an undisputed starter at 1.

That means 2, 3, 4, 5 spots are up for grabs. With Luka Dončić, what kind of players would we surround him. We have Fox at the 1. I would like to think we put as much shooters as we can around Fox & Dončić . Would Joerger insert Bogdanović in the starting lineup with Fox & Dončić? Or would he put Buddy in the starting lineup? Let's say he decides to keep Buddy on the bench as the 6th man.

So, that leaves the 4 & 5 positions open. Do the Kings search a 4 or a 5 via the FA?

If we go with a more shooting lineup, I really like Aaron Gordon at the 4 and roll the dice with Harry Giles at the 5. Willie has had his chances to solidify his spot at 5 but he hasn't. Skal kind of stagnated last season and he's more of a question mark than I originally thought.

I really think we have to look for someone in the offseason to fill the hole at either the 4 or at the 5.

So, my potential lineup:

De'Aaron Fox
Luka Dončić
Bogdan Bogdanović
Aaron Gordon
Harry Giles

You really hope that Fox & Dončić improve their 3PT shot over the summer and the biggest hope is that both of those guys are really competent shooters from that range by the time the next season starts.

I'm not looking for a 40%+ 3PT clip but more of a mid-30's at the very least. I believe both players can do that. If so, everyone except Giles have range from 3PT. This is would be the most ideal situation.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#266 » by blind prophet » Thu May 17, 2018 1:56 am

KF10 wrote:Let's say the Kings draft Luka Dončić at 2.

To me, I don't see Fox starting off the bench -- so he's an undisputed starter at 1.

That means 2, 3, 4, 5 spots are up for grabs. With Luka Dončić, what kind of players would we surround him. We have Fox at the 1. I would like to think we put as much shooters as we can around Fox & Dončić . Would Joerger insert Bogdanović in the starting lineup with Fox & Dončić? Or would he put Buddy in the starting lineup? Let's say he decides to keep Buddy on the bench as the 6th man.

So, that leaves the 4 & 5 positions open. Do the Kings search a 4 or a 5 via the FA?

If we go with a more shooting lineup, I really like Aaron Gordon at the 4 and roll the dice with Harry Giles at the 5. Willie has had his chances to solidify his spot at 5 but he hasn't. Skal kind of stagnated last season and he's more of a question mark than I originally thought.

I really think we have to look for someone in the offseason to fill the hole at either the 4 or at the 5.

So, my potential lineup:

De'Aaron Fox
Luka Dončić
Bogdan Bogdanović
Aaron Gordon
Harry Giles

You really hope that Fox & Dončić improve their 3PT shot over the summer and the biggest hope is that both of those guys are really competent shooters from that range by the time the next season starts.

I'm not looking for a 40%+ 3PT clip but more of a mid-30's at the very least. I believe both players can do that. If so, everyone except Giles have range from 3PT. This is would be the most ideal situation.

Fox/Temple/Mason
Doncic/Buddy
Shump/Bogdan
Z Bo/Giles or Skal
WCS/KK
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#267 » by kalenclayton » Thu May 17, 2018 2:02 am

blind prophet wrote:
KF10 wrote:Let's say the Kings draft Luka Dončić at 2.

So, my potential lineup:

De'Aaron Fox
Luka Dončić
Bogdan Bogdanović
Aaron Gordon
Harry Giles

Fox/Temple/Mason
Doncic/Buddy
Shump/Bogdan
Z Bo/Giles or Skal
WCS/KK

I feel like the spacing would be terrible in that starting lineup. Wouldn’t it be best to swap Buddy for Shumpert?
Fox-Temple-Mason
Buddy-Bogdan
Doncic-Shumpert
Randolph-Giles/Skal
WCS-KK
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#268 » by City of Trees » Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 am

Just gonna say it: im not sold on Mason as our back up PG

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#269 » by kalenclayton » Thu May 17, 2018 2:19 am

City of Trees wrote:I'm gonna just say it: im not sold on Mason as out back up PG

I’m in agreement here. I think he has promise, but I think a year with a backup vet at PG will do wonders for Frank. I’m thinking Jose Calderon, Jarrett Jack, Jameer Nelson, Tony Parker, and even Avery Bradley if we want to spend a little more. All of those guys could provide stability and leadership to the team. Having a capable PG come in after Fox will help everyone.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#270 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 17, 2018 2:28 am

I see Luka as a 3/4 defensively, not SG

Am I seeing Shumpert in the lineup over Buddy/Bogdan?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: Kings Off-Season 

Post#271 » by City of Trees » Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 am

BoogieTime wrote:I see Luka as a 3/4 defensively, not SG

Id call for Joerger's job if he starts Shumpert over Bogie and Buddy.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#272 » by City of Trees » Thu May 17, 2018 2:32 am

kalenclayton wrote:
City of Trees wrote:I'm gonna just say it: im not sold on Mason as out back up PG

I’m in agreement here. I think he has promise, but I think a year with a backup vet at PG will do wonders for Frank. I’m thinking Jose Calderon, Jarrett Jack, Jameer Nelson, Tony Parker, and even Avery Bradley if we want to spend a little more. All of those guys could provide stability and leadership to the team. Having a capable PG come in after Fox will help everyone.

Ha I havent really thought about his replacement.

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#273 » by codydaze » Thu May 17, 2018 2:39 am

City of Trees wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

Ha I havent really thought about his replacement.

I’m not sold on Mason either, I liked him early but seems like a black hole on offense. Dude would go up in the paint against 4 guys. His size limits him defensively too.

I say we go get Fred Van Vleet. I’ve loved his game since Wichita St, I feel like he’s the ideal backup to Fox.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#274 » by KF10 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:42 am

Ok, you can switch Bogi and Luka around. I don’t mind it.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#275 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 am

To be fair to Vlade, as a detractor, if Giles turns into a player it enhances the resume’ I complain about, to a degree (although I still need a more experienced GM). The newest less than a minute clip on Harry in warmups, put out by NBC Bay Area I think, showed some skill. It would be a big boon for him to be a quality big for the franchise (I’m not asking for the hype).
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#276 » by blind prophet » Thu May 17, 2018 3:17 am

kalenclayton wrote:I feel like the spacing would be terrible in that starting lineup. Wouldn’t it be best to swap Buddy for Shumpert?
Fox-Temple-Mason
Buddy-Bogdan
Doncic-Shumpert
Randolph-Giles/Skal
WCS-KK

Shump has had some success with spot shooting 3's.

I'm pretty sure Joerger is going to start Z Bo and either Shump or Temple. We may not like it long term, but he will play the vets, and Shump & Temple's defense is pretty good.

One of Bogdan or Doncic to help facilitate off the bench, Buddy has been good offensively off the bench too.

A year from now we won't have Shump or Temple on the roster, so that will open up some room.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#277 » by blind prophet » Thu May 17, 2018 3:18 am

City of Trees wrote:Just gonna say it: im not sold on Mason as our back up PG

I'm not either.

He has a lot to prove, el cheapo though and no hurry.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#278 » by blind prophet » Thu May 17, 2018 3:20 am

City of Trees wrote:

Why?

We need defense on the first rotation and off the bench. One of Temple or Shump will probably be on the floor.

Also think Joerger, if you think he's gonna play all the young fellas, well :lol:
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#279 » by blind prophet » Thu May 17, 2018 3:41 am

Last year Shump was hurt and he had a poor year, but take a look at his shooting chart from 16-17

http://nbasavant.com/player.php?ddlYear=2016&ddlShotMade=&ddlTeamDefense=&player_id=202697

49% from one corner 3, and 34.6 up top

Also 43% mid range.

If he can shoot like that again he will see the floor. If not, then he probably will be deeper on the bench.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Kings Off-Season 

Post#280 » by City of Trees » Thu May 17, 2018 3:47 am

blind prophet wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

Why?

We need defense on the first rotation and off the bench. One of Temple or Shump will probably be on the floor.

Also think Joerger, if you think he's gonna play all the young fellas, well :lol:

So the Kings draft Doncic. If Temple OR Shumpert start over Bogie or Buddy I am 100% withdrawing all support for Joerger. That is my line.

Return to Sacramento Kings