ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings Off-Season

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Re: Kings Off-Season 

Post#321 » by blind prophet » Mon May 21, 2018 11:04 pm

If Houston has trouble with Capela, any thoughts on trying to send Randolph, Kosta to Houston for Anderson plus a future Houston first?

Salary wash pretty much this season, but we pay the piper the year after on his inflated contract.

Would be the 2020 pick we'd get, maybe something happens and it ends up being a decent pick?
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#322 » by KF10 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:10 pm

Acquiring Ryan Anderson is a win-now move.

Given what I've seen from the NBA, the Warriors will dominate for the next 5 years. Planning to win during the Warriors' time is highly unwise, imo. I rather develop our own talent or look for talent that fits within the Kings' own timeline. Anderson is owed major $$$ and is beginning to age.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#323 » by blind prophet » Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 pm

KF10 wrote:Acquiring Ryan Anderson is a win-now move.

Given what I've seen from the NBA, the Warriors will dominate for the next 5 years. Planning to win during the Warriors' time is highly unwise, imo. I rather develop our own talent or look for talent that fits within the Kings' own timeline. Anderson is owed major $$$ and is beginning to age.

True, but we have no pick to lose next draft, and we could in theory secure a future first in 2020.

Also we have to pay someone to reach the salary floor the season after this. Only WCS will be due a raise if we want to keep him around.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#324 » by KF10 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:23 pm

blind prophet wrote:

True, but we have no pick to lose next draft, and we could in theory secure a future first in 2020.

Also we have to pay someone to reach the salary floor the season after this. Only WCS will be due a raise if we want to keep him around.

I get that. But I'm sure there are other ways to acquire a future first without taking on a huge contract like Anderson, imo.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#325 » by blind prophet » Mon May 21, 2018 11:27 pm

KF10 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

I get that. But I'm sure there are other ways to acquire a future first without taking on a huge contract like Anderson, imo.

Fair enough.

A younger guy with an excessive paycheck would probably be the better choice if it was an option.

But I also think we can tinker a bit and be competitive with a guy like Anderson too, but risk, also no chance in hell to beat the Warriors any time soon.

Hell we may want to stay bad in 2019-2020 if things go terrible here for longer.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#326 » by KF10 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:57 pm

blind prophet wrote:[

Fair enough.

A younger guy with an excessive paycheck would probably be the better choice if it was an option.

But I also think we can tinker a bit and be competitive with a guy like Anderson too, but risk, also no chance in hell to beat the Warriors any time soon.

Hell we may want to stay bad in 2019-2020 if things go terrible here for longer.

Let's say the Kings draft Dončić. Then what? Do the Kings make an offer for a player like Aaron Gordon? Take a flyer with Noel? I would like to to believe doing those type of deals are >> trading for Anderson.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#327 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 am

Anderson having that 2019 salary should be a no go. Houston doesn't have anything of value to attach to make that work.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#328 » by sacking123 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:07 am

If the Rockets want to get rid of Anderson it will cost them two 1st rounders. The belief that a 1st is worth 14 million, so trying to get rid of 21 in season 19/20 would cost them the two 1sts. Personally I would do it if they are not protected or very lightly protected but then Morey wouldn't go for it as say it's 2020 and 2022 picks that latter one could be really good.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
OhioKingsFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#329 » by OhioKingsFan » Tue May 22, 2018 1:17 pm

Conceptually I am okay with the Kings taking on 2019 cap space in exchange for our current expiring contracts, but Ryan Anderson is not the right fit.

The 2019 FA pool doesn't look as friendly to the Kings as this summer's group. I feel like the Kings have a real shot at landing a guy that will be a major part of the rebuild, a multi-year starter. Next year's group doesn't look quite so promising. Of the young players that will be entering RFA, who would realistically be targets that wouldn't be matched by their respective teams? The only ones I see with some likelihood of not having their team match a large offer would be Jordan Bell, Justise Winslow, Oubre, and maybe Stanley Johnson. KAT, Porzingis, DAR, Miles Turner, Jokic, Booker, Nance... their teams probably intend to keep them. (The lack of good targets next summer is another reason why I am solidly in the "spend now" camp for this summer, and would be fully on-board with the Kings using the stretch provision to get some extra space to try to sign something like Randle + Hezonja.)
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#330 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu May 24, 2018 1:42 am

Here's an interesting article from STR telling us all that what we saw last year offensively wasn't a mirage.

https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2018/5/23/17366276/sacramento-kings-dave-joerger-offense
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#331 » by blind prophet » Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Here's an interesting article from STR telling us all that what we saw last year offensively wasn't a mirage.

https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2018/5/23/17366276/sacramento-kings-dave-joerger-offense

Thanks that was a good read.

Disturbing, but it needed to be pointed out.

Crazy that Karl had us at a fast pace too before Joerger came to town.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#332 » by KF10 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:24 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Here's an interesting article from STR telling us all that what we saw last year offensively wasn't a mirage.

Yeah, I looked at the numbers before and it is not good if you compare it to the landscape of today's NBA. Joerger's system is completely outdated.
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#333 » by sacking123 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am

Fantastic read and exactly why people should be concerned. I can tell you one thing, Duffy will be telling Doncic that he needs to go to a team that is uptempo, he loves pushing the ball up the court and if he is instructed not to then that’s a huge issue and one that Duffy will be sniffing out, if he hasn’t already.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#334 » by Lost in LA » Thu May 24, 2018 1:45 pm

simonbampfield wrote:

Fantastic read and exactly why people should be concerned. I can tell you one thing, Duffy will be telling Doncic that he needs to go to a team that is uptempo, he loves pushing the ball up the court and if he is instructed not to then that’s a huge issue and one that Duffy will be sniffing out, if he hasn’t already.

.....and does not use the talent the Kings have. Vlade has to be ready to give him an ultimatum.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#335 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu May 24, 2018 6:20 pm

simonbampfield wrote:

Lets hope not. I think we still need to give Joerger a chance because maybe next year he does revise his own game plan. The article goes right in line with what needs to happen. The grading scale has to be different next year and it has to start with individual success in my opinion. I'm glad he brought up the fact that there were times last year where some of the young players were on their way to breakout games and got the rug pulled out from under them. When you are rebuilding all you have is individual success. It helps build asset value and as meaningless as it may be compared to winning it gives the players something to strive for. If a player feels like their coach didn't give them a chance to get any of those end of the year accolades it can muddy up that relationship right from the get go, especially when the alternative if playing veterans in front of them and nothing long term is being gained.
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#336 » by sacking123 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:59 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

Lets hope not. I think we still need to give Joerger a chance because maybe next year he does revise his own game plan. The article goes right in line with what needs to happen. The grading scale has to be different next year and it has to start with individual success in my opinion. I'm glad he brought up the fact that there were times last year where some of the young players were on their way to breakout games and got the rug pulled out from under them. When you are rebuilding all you have is individual success. It helps build asset value and as meaningless as it may be compared to winning it gives the players something to strive for. If a player feels like their coach didn't give them a chance to get any of those end of the year accolades it can muddy up that relationship right from the get go, especially when the alternative if playing veterans in front of them and nothing long term is being gained.

I agree with both you and LostInLA.
I think he needs to know that the same stuff won’t fly. Vlade needs to know prior to the season.
It makes me wonder if he is having those tough discussions with the coach.
Also don’t forget we have 3 expiring contracts in Temple, Shump and Kosta who all want another pay day. I’m not sure Temple gets it by sitting, same with Kosta. Shump might be able to have small value but it will cost him millions still to sit.
Randolph I kept out of that because after this season he will either retire or ring hunt.
At some point there needs to be a consolidation trade, hopefully Vlade can keep the peace and time it right with the expirings.

Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#337 » by KF10 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:04 am

Am I the only one that like the idea of the Kings going after Tyreke Evans in the summer?

I think he is a great piece off the bench with the second unit, imo. He’s a lot better option than a guy like Temple or Jackson.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: Kings Off-Season 

Post#338 » by City of Trees » Fri May 25, 2018 3:10 am

KF10 wrote:Am I the only one that like the idea of the Kings going after Tyreke Evans in the summer?

I think he is a great piece off the bench with the second unit, imo. He’s a lot better option than a guy like Temple or Jackson.
3rd stint Tyreke? Highly unlikely.. But I like it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#339 » by kalenclayton » Fri May 25, 2018 5:14 am

KF10 wrote:Am I the only one that like the idea of the Kings going after Tyreke Evans in the summer?

I depends on who we draft. If it’s a big, I’m down for Tyreke the Third. If it’s Portee Jr., I can see the fit. If we take Dončić though, then I don’t want Reke at all. He just brings another wing facilitator role that we already have in Dončić and Bogi. Fox will need to learn to make more plays as well. Reke will interfere with all of that development.
VeganKingsFan
Junior
And1: 81

Post#340 » by VeganKingsFan » Sat May 26, 2018 5:37 am

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/984248603685236736

I saw this little clip a while back and didn't share it because I didn't remember where I found it and maybe you guys saw it already.
The way he moves so quick and effortlessly and his smooth jumper are nice.

Return to Sacramento Kings